daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 10th, 2009, 09:24 PM   #7781
RKOwens

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildmilehightower View Post
wow cool decoration, I can't amagine how good white arches in the Freedom Tower will look at christmas time.
That was a picture of the original North Tower. The Freedom Tower won't exactly have arches, but it will have tall columns with tall windows in between them. Below is an early rendering. Since this is an early rendering, I think it would be cool if they did make the top of the concrete "columns" into arches at the top of the lobby, to resemble the original towers. Either way, I'm happy that there will be plenty of windows allowing natural sunlight in. It won't be the "concrete bunker" that most people make it out to be.

Having said that, the main hall of the transit hub WILL be a pretty sight to see at Christmas time. I'm guessing that's where they will locate any Christmas tree with wreathes around the mezzanine, and photos with Santa in the middle of the floor area.
RKOwens no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 11th, 2009, 02:48 PM   #7782
Rahmani
-|-

Likes (Received): 26

I visit the topic once a month, expecting some major updates. But I leave disapointed, every time. It has been 3 years. 3 more years to go.
Rahmani no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2009, 04:29 PM   #7783
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKOwens View Post
That was a picture of the original North Tower. The Freedom Tower won't exactly have arches, but it will have tall columns with tall windows in between them. Below is an early rendering. Since this is an early rendering, I think it would be cool if they did make the top of the concrete "columns" into arches at the top of the lobby, to resemble the original towers. Either way, I'm happy that there will be plenty of windows allowing natural sunlight in. It won't be the "concrete bunker" that most people make it out to be.

Having said that, the main hall of the transit hub WILL be a pretty sight to see at Christmas time. I'm guessing that's where they will locate any Christmas tree with wreathes around the mezzanine, and photos with Santa in the middle of the floor area.
by white arches I meant the arches we can see at the south side of the FT construction site. Those will be painted white, and they'll look amazing.

독일의 막가파 두목이름은? 칼막 휘둘러
일본에서 가장 유명한 구두쇠 수도국장 이름은? 무라까와 쓰지마
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2009, 05:13 PM   #7784
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1155

i hope this isn't toooo offtopic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb07 View Post
*screaming*
Old March 11th, 2009, 05:20 PM   #7785
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by germantower View Post
i hope this isn't toooo offtopic!

*screaming*
this pertains to WTC4 construction actually
webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2009, 05:29 PM   #7786
germantower
i ♥ NY

i know, because of that i wrote "i hope this isn't toooo offtopic!", since it doesn't pertains the wtc1 tower at all.
Old March 11th, 2009, 05:34 PM   #7787
webeagle12

Quote:
i know, because of that i wrote "i hope this isn't toooo offtopic!", since it doesn't pertains the wtc1 tower at all.
this is why we have wtc4 thread
Old March 11th, 2009, 06:25 PM   #7788
germantower
i ♥ NY

you really don't get it, heh? Since the WTC4 is in the SAME COMPLEX as WTC1 i thought it could interest people, that only are following this WTC thread, what is happening on other parts of the site.....
Old March 11th, 2009, 06:51 PM   #7789
unlinked
Friends, Romans and ...

Likes (Received): 11

Freedom Tower and where she stands

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3259/...a8d3bcc5_o.jpg

looking at the above linked image an error was found

Can you spot it?
unlinked no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2009, 06:54 PM   #7790
deez

Likes (Received): 2

I think Elton John said it best in his 1972 hit, 'Rocket Man'.
'And I think it's going to be a long long time....'
deez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2009, 06:56 PM   #7791
deez

Likes (Received): 2

here we go....

http://www.observer.com/2009/real-es...tc-dates-funds
deez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2009, 07:10 PM   #7792
webeagle12

Quote:
you really don't get it, heh? Since the WTC4 is in the SAME COMPLEX as WTC1 i thought it could interest people, that only are following this WTC thread, what is happening on other parts of the site.....
Title says what?
Old March 11th, 2009, 08:14 PM   #7793
Nomadd22

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
The complex has five towers, a large memorial, a transit center, a performing arts center, subway lines, path lines, shopping malls, road construction, parks, pedestrian walkways and a museum.
This thread is big enough without including the entire WTC in it. Don't come into someone elses home and bitch about the rules they ask you to respect.
Nomadd22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2009, 08:16 PM   #7794
RKOwens

Quote:
Originally Posted by deez View Post
At this point, what does it really matter? These financial troubles only affect Towers 2 and 3. It has no affect whatsoever on the memorial, or the Freedom Tower, or Tower 4, or Tower 5, or the Performing Arts Center, or the Transportation Hub, or Tower 7 (which is already completed). Yes, the financial problems suck, but remember that towers 2 and 3 are only a small part of the overall site. I'm most looking forward to the memorial anyway, then the Freedom Tower as a close second. Neither of these seem affected.
Old March 12th, 2009, 04:56 AM   #7795
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKOwens View Post
At this point, what does it really matter? These financial troubles only affect Towers 2 and 3. It has no affect whatsoever on the memorial, or the Freedom Tower, or Tower 4, or Tower 5, or the Performing Arts Center, or the Transportation Hub, or Tower 7 (which is already completed).
? Pardon me but the performing arts center has already been postponed indefinitely (or canceled depending on who you believe) and the transportation hub has been scaled back and the original design will be greatly modified or changed completely. Only FT, Tower 4, and Tower 7 are givens at this point although I really believe Towers 2 & 3 will also be built by Silverstein quite rapidly.
Old March 12th, 2009, 08:39 AM   #7796
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

Guess what! The other day, I saw a bird land on the Freedom Tower steel! It was all like, "Look at me, I'm a goddamn bird!"
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2009, 08:50 AM   #7797
MiKu214
Save the Catgirls

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebola View Post
Guess what! The other day, I saw a bird land on the Freedom Tower steel! It was all like, "Look at me, I'm a goddamn bird!"
It's a bird! It's a plane! Oh wait...
MiKu214 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2009, 09:11 AM   #7798
unlinked
Friends, Romans and ...

Likes (Received): 11

The uncompleted WT4 crane tower can be seen on image 8/13 at www.wtc.com

The construct of the crane tower(s) was halted due to safety concerns or violations
unlinked no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2009, 11:24 AM   #7799
dachacon

Likes (Received): 164

oh well then the construction will resume as soon as the safety issues are taken care of. so no biggie.
dachacon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2009, 06:00 PM   #7800
RKOwens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell View Post
? Pardon me but the performing arts center has already been postponed indefinitely (or canceled depending on who you believe) and the transportation hub has been scaled back and the original design will be greatly modified or changed completely. Only FT, Tower 4, and Tower 7 are givens at this point although I really believe Towers 2 & 3 will also be built by Silverstein quite rapidly.
I was just responding to this new news about the financial problems about Towers 2 and 3. Of course the hub will be scaled back, this is old news (like, 6 months old).

I haven't heard anything recent about the performing arts center though. Where did you hear it might be canceled? I welcome that and have always said that either a low-rise office building or a hotel should be built on that spot. If someone wants to build a theater they can do it one block over on Broadway. The WTC is a center of trade and finance, not theater.

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center