daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 14th, 2009, 12:57 AM   #7821
unlinked
Friends, Romans and ...

Likes (Received): 11

RBGZ

RBGZ Cam up and running again

http://www.rebuildgroundzero.org/mod...am/rgz_000.jpg
unlinked no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 14th, 2009, 03:59 AM   #7822
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlinked View Post
Finally!!
spectre000 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2009, 04:11 AM   #7823
philvia

Likes (Received): 33

well, it was for a little while anyways
philvia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2009, 08:31 AM   #7824
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlinked View Post
and it didn't last too long before going down again
webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2009, 09:39 AM   #7825
redbaron_012

Likes (Received): 3095

I also find the core construction unusual ? In Australia most skyscrapers have a reinforced concrete core that is slip formed and rises ahead of the rest of the frame whether steel or concrete. I know the former WTC had 'Sheet Rock' ? lined core. It seemed crazy that some people in stair wells or lifts could break through walls into bathrooms etc. while trying to escape. I am sure this building will have the very best design and strength. Here is a pic of a typical core going up here by comparison.
Old March 14th, 2009, 01:08 PM   #7826
NegaSado
Needs more Tokyo!

Likes (Received): 43

In 2005, when I first visited New York, I'd imagine coming back in 2010 and seeing this completed. Now I'm going back again this year, and it's still just a big gaping hole. Oh well.
NegaSado no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2009, 04:43 PM   #7827
BrooklynNYC

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NegaSado View Post
In 2005, when I first visited New York, I'd imagine coming back in 2010 and seeing this completed. Now I'm going back again this year, and it's still just a big gaping hole. Oh well.
Maybe you should reconsider coming.

Or perhaps stop posting stupid comments.

Either will do.
BrooklynNYC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2009, 04:59 PM   #7828
ElCrioyo
Ed.v.cas.baeZ

Likes (Received): 1668

what the fu** is wrong with the people in this thread...is there any need to be so defensive?i live in New york City and i totally agree with NegaSado...this people are taking extremely long to do a ordinary tower that can be done in less than 4 years....this should've been done by 2008...and now they say 2011-12...wtf is that about

I think people in this thread should be more respectfull about other people's view!so i think YOU "BrooklynNYC" should stop posting STUPID COMMENTS!
ElCrioyo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2009, 05:33 PM   #7829
aleochi
carioca

Likes (Received): 1703

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCrioyo View Post
what the fu** is wrong with the people in this thread...is there any need to be so defensive?i live in New york City and i totally agree with NegaSado...this people are taking extremely long to do a ordinary tower that can be done in less than 4 years....this should've been done by 2008...and now they say 2011-12...wtf is that about

I think people in this thread should be more respectfull about other people's view!so i think YOU "BrooklynNYC" should stop posting STUPID COMMENTS!
I totally agree with NegaSado... i think you "BrooklynNYC" should be more respectable because there are lots of people who are hoping for the "new heart" of this amazing city get topped out!
aleochi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2009, 05:41 PM   #7830
storms991
Leicester:NY:London

Likes (Received): 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynNYC View Post
Maybe you should reconsider coming.

Or perhaps stop posting stupid comments.

Either will do.
Don't deny the obvious.
storms991 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2009, 06:10 PM   #7831
NegaSado
Needs more Tokyo!

Likes (Received): 43

lol, Im sorry if I upset you, BrooklynNYC. It's just that I've been looking forward to seeing this project completed, and it's a big shame that it still feels far away as ever, even after four years. Between my last visit in 2007 and now very little noticable progress has been made. Downtown simply needs the impulse.

Im still gonna enjoy the city though. New York remains one of my favorite destinations on this planet. With the low airfares today, I can't resist coming back again!
NegaSado no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2009, 07:01 PM   #7832
unlinked
Friends, Romans and ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by webeagle12 View Post
and it didn't last too long before going down again
Please note the RBGZ is still in its normal mode of operation as it was before by shutting down during evening hrs

We can now see the newly erected tower crane at WT4.
It appears to be the same as those now constructing the Freedom Tower (WT1)
It is likely another tower crane would be added soon. Correct?
unlinked no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2009, 07:01 PM   #7833
ramvid01

Likes (Received): 68

You want someone to blame about the slowness of the project right now?

Blame the PATH train. If they had just shut it down for a month we would be on the 40th floot by now.
ramvid01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2009, 07:36 PM   #7834
BrooklynNYC

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NegaSado View Post
lol, Im sorry if I upset you, BrooklynNYC. It's just that I've been looking forward to seeing this project completed, and it's a big shame that it still feels far away as ever, even after four years. Between my last visit in 2007 and now very little noticable progress has been made. Downtown simply needs the impulse.

Im still gonna enjoy the city though. New York remains one of my favorite destinations on this planet. With the low airfares today, I can't resist coming back again!
Ha, I was just joking, sorry guys.

I must say it is a little bit frustrating that everybody is so impatient with this project.... IT'S 100 FEET TALL NOW! That is super exciting. I'm impressed every time I drive by it. IT IS GOING TO BE INCREDIBLE WHEN IT'S FINISHED. It's a massive site, the FT won't go up over night.
BrooklynNYC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2009, 08:44 PM   #7835
adam-albany

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCrioyo View Post
this people are taking extremely long to do a ordinary tower that can be done in less than 4 years....
There is nothing ordinary about this tower, which is being built upon the densest piece of real estate in one of the biggest cities in the world.
adam-albany no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2009, 08:55 PM   #7836
doubleno7
Midwest transplant

Likes (Received): 0

Yeah thats true... theres nothing ordinary about this project.
Anyone care to post construction update photos... we have not had one in a few pages (good deal of bickering though ) and the webcams do not seem to be very reliable.
Old March 14th, 2009, 09:12 PM   #7837
Onn
BANNED

Likes (Received): 173

Here are a huge pile of new pictures, courtesy of NYguy on SSP.

MARCH 13, 2009

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=4537

I have to say, the inter-workings of the Freedom Tower are a beast. This is fascinating to watch.
Onn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2009, 09:23 PM   #7838
Onn
BANNED

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
More than a job, World Trade Center is a point of pride
Double shifts, seven days a week for Collavino crew in New York

50,000 cubic yards of concrete was slated to be poured just to get the Freedom Tower job up to street level.

IAN HARVEY
March 12, 2009

Renzo Collavino is far from home, deep in a 16-acre hole at what was and what will be one of New York’s most famous landmarks.

Work at the World Trade Center Freedom Tower is progressing slowly; too slowly, in fact, dragged back by a series of issues around how to best preserve existing structures and the subterranean rail lines below the massive hole excavated after the towers were downed in the infamous 911 attacks.

“The project is several months behind schedule,” says Collavino, who with brother Paolo and father Mario, make up Collavino Construction Group, the Windsor-based outfit which is the main sub-contractor on the US$300 million-plus concrete job.

Add in the credit crisis and the sudden evaporation of money needed to keep construction projects like the WTC rolling and it’s been a rough few months. Renzo and his key managers live in New York and commute home to Ontario every two weeks.

Despite the chaos and the pressure of the ever-ticking clock, his voice is calm and contained. These are delays outside of his realm of control.

His focus remains on the below grade portions of the works with special attention on the elevator shafts and ensuring there’s no thermal cracking.

“We’re on double shifts seven days a week now so we are doing our part to be back on schedule by summer,” he says.

The US$3 billion Freedom Tower will have an illuminated spire and top out at 1,776 feet — an auspicious number marking the birth of the American republic.

It will feature an observation deck at 1,300 feet with a square glass parapet paying homage to the original Twin Towers.

The tower rises from a cubic foundation and tapers into triangles while forming an octagon at its centre. Over the 105 floors will be 2.6 million square feet of space which are slated to open in 2013.

The concreting operations are still below grade, with about 50,000 cubic yards total pour slated to get the job to street level.

Then, the structural steel will commence followed by pouring of concrete on metal decks, concrete elevator core walls and auxiliary works such as walkways, slabs, stairs, pads and curbs.

It sounds easy enough but the logistics are a nightmare. The lower Manhattan site is smack dab in the middle of an old historic area with narrow streets and limited access.

Materials can only move by schedule, early in the morning or at night and nothing can sit on the street waiting for a delivery window for more than 30 minutes.

Still, getting a workforce hasn’t been an issue as it might be on other jobs.

“Everyone wants to work on this, to make a contribution,” he says. “There’s a lot of pride surrounding the construction of this tower.”

Indeed, for many of the trades, their fathers, uncles and cousins worked on the original structures and creating a new structure has become a mission and a statement.

The job is also a challenge, technically.

“We’re dealing with 16,000 psi concrete on the elevator shafts where there’s a 160F temperature requirement and the maximum allowable variation from the inner and outer walls is 30F,” he says.

“So we’re using ice during the initial curing process in both summer and winter to control the temperature.”

The elevator shaft walls vary from two to six feet and have considerable amount of reinforcing steel, he says.

“I’ve never seen anything like it,” he says.

The design has been predicated on the events that transpired on Sept 11, 2001, to ensure that the building will never suffer the same tragic fate as its predecessor, the Twin Towers.

The original World Trade Center tower collapsed quickly when the heat from burning jet fuel weakened the steel structural components, leading to failure and a domino effect which brought the floors crashing down on each other. This time, designers and engineers are trying to ensure it will never happen again.

All the rebar is also bent and laid by hand, he says, since local union rules prevent use of pre-bent rebar delivered to site.

The project is presently approaching grade with the expected completion to mid to late summer.

“In the next coming months we will be focusing our attention on organizing and planning the above grade works which will include a 4 foot thick, 70 ft high blast wall around the perimeter of the base of the tower. Collavino states.

“Though this project has its daily challenges, we continue to move forward towards the completion of the tower, a symbol of freedom and a testament that America still stand strong.”
http://dcnonl.com/article/id32992
Onn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2009, 11:11 PM   #7839
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
All the rebar is also bent and laid by hand, he says, since local union rules prevent use of pre-bent rebar delivered to site.
I knew there were stupid union rules in NYC but this one has to top them all! There's certainly no logical reason for this rule except to protect union jobs. It potentially can harm the quality of the project and certainly raises the price and take longer. I'm sure this is just an example of one of many ridiculous union rules that makes construction so difficult in New York! Of course the politicians don't help the situation any because they are all in bed with the unions! It's no wonder construction projects in New York take so long and costs so much.
Old March 14th, 2009, 11:14 PM   #7840
Zensteeldude

Wow, there are alot of errors in that article. But I guess fact checking is near impossible for this building, seeing how much information is suposta be kept secret. I also noticed that they kinda left out that Collavino is from Windsor Ontario, Canada. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

TheShark, yes, some of the cement used in Tower One is the strongest ever devised. The stuff ya get at Home Depot is about 3,000 psi, the strongest used in T.O. more than four times that.
Zensteeldude no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center