daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 16th, 2009, 11:12 PM   #7881
adam-albany

Likes (Received): 1

The New York Times has an article and video feature on the rebuilding today:
When Are They Going to Build the New World Trade Center? Just Look Up
adam-albany no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 17th, 2009, 12:48 AM   #7882
Zensteeldude

Likes (Received): 11

If you compare the pic RKOwens posted to the one micrip posted you can see exactly where the new copper roofing had to be installed on the WFC. (the newer stuff is black rather than green) The south bridge is on the list of structures with minor damage (broken windows) and debris on the roof.
Zensteeldude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2009, 12:52 AM   #7883
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

All good, it will turn green with some time.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2009, 03:20 AM   #7884
RKOwens

Likes (Received): 0

Zen, are you talking about the darker lines on the WFC domes extending down the sides? I'd never noticed that before. Is that something they had to replace due to damage? If so, why didn't they just use the same color?
RKOwens no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2009, 03:59 AM   #7885
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 415

Concrete subcontractor doubles shifts to get WTC back on schedule.

enzo Collavino is far from home, deep in a 16-acre hole at what was and what will be one of New York’s most famous landmarks.

Work at the World Trade Center Freedom Tower is progressing slowly; too slowly, in fact, dragged back by a series of issues around how to best preserve existing structures and the subterranean rail lines below the massive hole excavated after the towers were downed in the infamous 911 attacks.

“The project is several months behind schedule,” says Collavino, who with brother Paolo and father Mario, make up Collavino Construction Group, the Windsor-based outfit which is the main sub-contractor on the US$300 million-plus concrete job.

Add in the credit crisis and the sudden evaporation of money needed to keep construction projects like the WTC rolling and it’s been a rough few months. Renzo and his key managers live in New York and commute home to Ontario every two weeks.

Despite the chaos and the pressure of the ever-ticking clock, his voice is calm and contained. These are delays outside of his realm of control.

His focus remains on the below grade portions of the works with special attention on the elevator shafts and ensuring there’s no thermal cracking.

“We’re on double shifts seven days a week now so we are doing our part to be back on schedule by summer,” he says.

The US$3 billion Freedom Tower will have an illuminated spire and top out at 1,776 feet — an auspicious number marking the birth of the American republic.

It will feature an observation deck at 1,300 feet with a square glass parapet paying homage to the original Twin Towers.

The tower rises from a cubic foundation and tapers into triangles while forming an octagon at its centre. Over the 105 floors will be 2.6 million square feet of space which are slated to open in 2013.

The concreting operations are still below grade, with about 50,000 cubic yards total pour slated to get the job to street level.

Then, the structural steel will commence followed by pouring of concrete on metal decks, concrete elevator core walls and auxiliary works such as walkways, slabs, stairs, pads and curbs.

It sounds easy enough but the logistics are a nightmare. The lower Manhattan site is smack dab in the middle of an old historic area with narrow streets and limited access.

Materials can only move by schedule, early in the morning or at night and nothing can sit on the street waiting for a delivery window for more than 30 minutes.

Still, getting a workforce hasn’t been an issue as it might be on other jobs.

“Everyone wants to work on this, to make a contribution,” he says. “There’s a lot of pride surrounding the construction of this tower.”

Indeed, for many of the trades, their fathers, uncles and cousins worked on the original structures and creating a new structure has become a mission and a statement.

The job is also a challenge, technically.

“We’re dealing with 16,000 psi concrete on the elevator shafts where there’s a 160F temperature requirement and the maximum allowable variation from the inner and outer walls is 30F,” he says.

“So we’re using ice during the initial curing process in both summer and winter to control the temperature.”

The elevator shaft walls vary from two to six feet and have considerable amount of reinforcing steel, he says.

“I’ve never seen anything like it,” he says.

The design has been predicated on the events that transpired on Sept 11, 2001, to ensure that the building will never suffer the same tragic fate as its predecessor, the Twin Towers.

The original World Trade Center tower collapsed quickly when the heat from burning jet fuel weakened the steel structural components, leading to failure and a domino effect which brought the floors crashing down on each other. This time, designers and engineers are trying to ensure it will never happen again.

All the rebar is also bent and laid by hand, he says, since local union rules prevent use of pre-bent rebar delivered to site.

The project is presently approaching grade with the expected completion to mid to late summer.

“In the next coming months we will be focusing our attention on organizing and planning the above grade works which will include a 4 foot thick, 70 ft high blast wall around the perimeter of the base of the tower. Collavino states.

“Though this project has its daily challenges, we continue to move forward towards the completion of the tower, a symbol of freedom and a testament that America still stand strong."

http://dcnonl.com/article/id32992

P.S: looks like both cameras crapped out again /facepalm

Last edited by webeagle12; March 17th, 2009 at 04:06 AM.
webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2009, 04:30 AM   #7886
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

The article was posted including the complete headlines and picture with credits in post 7835!
Old March 17th, 2009, 04:59 AM   #7887
TheShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKOwens View Post
Zen, are you talking about the darker lines on the WFC domes extending down the sides? I'd never noticed that before. Is that something they had to replace due to damage? If so, why didn't they just use the same color?
The roof was originally that color (it was made with copper). It became green because it oxidized. The copper lines will become green too in a couple of years.
TheShark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2009, 06:37 AM   #7888
MichiganWolverine
Go Blue

Kinda surprised that they didn't try to match the patina of the copper. There are surface treatments that use chemicals to oxidize the copper to give new copper an aged look.
MichiganWolverine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2009, 06:43 AM   #7889
cincobarrio
Lurker

Likes (Received): 82

but if they did that, people wouldn't be having these kinds of discussions.
cincobarrio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2009, 07:15 AM   #7890
adam-albany

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKOwens View Post
The statue of liberty used to be the new color too. It's a natural chemical reaction that happens with time.
[img]http://pro.******************/CB017330.jpg?size=572&uid=%7BFB293D9D-2658-40E8-8FF6-62B7B32B17A9%7D[/img]
Old March 17th, 2009, 08:36 AM   #7891
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

I don't know about that. I haven't seen any picture of The statue of liberty in a bronze color. I get that some of the picture are in black in white. But wouldn't the statue be black if it was that dark of a color. And I haven't read anything, about the color changing over time.
Old March 17th, 2009, 08:51 AM   #7892
Bricken Ridge

Likes (Received): 15

The color of the statue of liberty did change overtime.....roughly 20 years to its present green patina..... it was already changing to black while it was built in Paris.......
Bricken Ridge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2009, 08:58 AM   #7893
adam-albany

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsc View Post
I don't know about that. I haven't seen any picture of The statue of liberty in a bronze color. I get that some of the picture are in black in white. But wouldn't the statue be black if it was that dark of a color. And I haven't read anything, about the color changing over time.
The statue of liberty was dedicated in October 1886. Photography was very rudimentary at this point, and color photography would not seriously take hold until the early 20th century, by which point the oxidation process would have already turned the statue green. However the chromolithograph below, dated 1885, shows the original copper:
Old March 17th, 2009, 09:25 AM   #7894
Lusitania
Luxury and Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsc View Post
It is quite true I'm afraid, but to be quite honest, I don't think the green takes too much from its original form.
Old March 17th, 2009, 11:18 AM   #7895
dachacon

Likes (Received): 164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitania View Post
It is quite true I'm afraid, but to be quite honest, I don't think the green takes too much from its original form.
it only takes a few months actually. here in la our observatory has a copper domed roof in the center, it was replaced with a new one and it started turning green a month later and became fully green a year later.
dachacon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2009, 03:53 PM   #7896
cincobarrio
Lurker

also: the copper frieze at the old yankee stadium.

Old March 18th, 2009, 12:36 AM   #7897
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6530

come on guys, stay on topic please!
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2009, 04:24 AM   #7898
cincobarrio
Lurker

word.. FREEDOM TOWER WHAT UP
Old March 18th, 2009, 04:54 AM   #7899
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

it up, it up
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2009, 05:38 AM   #7900
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkMantle View Post
word.. FREEDOM TOWER WHAT UP
word STUPID POST what up
webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center