daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 20th, 2009, 04:00 AM   #7921
TheShark

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marni View Post
when will this baby be finished?
It's estimated it'll be completed by 2013-2014, while the memorial should be finished in time for the tenth anniversary of 9/11, in 2011
TheShark no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 20th, 2009, 04:12 AM   #7922
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2622

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebola View Post
The person to blame for it not being rebuilt already is every person on earth.
Huh? What did I do now?
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2009, 04:27 AM   #7923
Onn
BANNED

Likes (Received): 173

http://www.flickr.com/photos/selimaj...17266/sizes/o/

image hosted on flickr
Onn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2009, 04:34 AM   #7924
VRS

Likes (Received): 11521

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildmilehightower View Post
LOL he looks lik a wrestler.
for me = he looks like David = a magician street..
VRS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2009, 07:16 AM   #7925
adam-albany

Likes (Received): 1

What a fantastic view of the site to have out the window! The only downside is you also have all the noise of the construction you get to witness.

Another of Mr. Dunlap's articles on Ground Zero has been published by the New York Times, this one on the elevators in the new WTC: World Trade Center’s Elevators to Be Among the World’s Fastest

And a blogger is taking a photo a day of the construction outside his window, a slightly different angle than EarthCam and RGZ:
http://howtodaylooksgroundzero.blogspot.com/
adam-albany no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2009, 02:16 PM   #7926
unlinked
Friends, Romans and ...

Likes (Received): 11

WTC2

It appears heavy equipment has been mobilized on the WT2 site
unlinked no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2009, 07:46 PM   #7927
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

than post this in the WTC2 thread and not here
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2009, 07:51 PM   #7928
jhalsey

Likes (Received): 181

It's just about getting under way now. Long time for substructure.
jhalsey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2009, 09:09 PM   #7929
RKOwens

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_cd View Post
Looks like they're pouring one of the basement floors in the area you're describing. My guess is that for now they'll just level it off at street level with some hookups for the new building left just below the ground so that they are available when they figure out what they're going to do. Many renders just have the area as a grass park, which I actually think would be great. With no plaza like the original WTC there needs to be an area where one can stand between the towers and look up. I'm talking short term, though, since apparently there will be a park near 5 WTC and the church whenever they are built.

EDIT: I've looked at a few renders and it looks like the area you're talking about will become a small plaza similar to the one near 7 WTC. The grass park/location of the PAC is on top of the current PATH building.
Regardless of whatever is built on the site planned for the PAC (I don't know if a theater is the best thing to build, but I do agree that they should build SOMETHING rather than leaving it be just a grassy park), there will still be a plaza east of the Freedom Tower. It won't be as huge as the original plaza, but if it's a huge plaza where you can stand in the middle of all of the buildings that you want, just stand in the memorial plaza... 8 acres, plenty big.

By the way, I've been thinking about something. After the WTC "Sphere", my second favorite plaza structure is the assembly of steel which sat between the two towers (I'm not sure what it's name was, but here's a photo...).

image hosted on flickr

It seems that the WTC sphere is going to be put back into place once the site is completed and I think it would be awesome if they replaced this structure as well. I'm sure the original was destroyed when the towers collapsed, but they could rebuild an exact replica. As far as where it could be located, the plaza east of WTC1 would be perfect, like so...

image hosted on flickr

This is a blurry pic of the structure (the only one I could find from an overhead angle), but the dimensions are correct. As you can see it would still leave plenty of room around the structure.
RKOwens no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2009, 09:26 PM   #7930
RKOwens

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam-albany View Post
What a fantastic view of the site to have out the window! The only downside is you also have all the noise of the construction you get to witness.

Another of Mr. Dunlap's articles on Ground Zero has been published by the New York Times, this one on the elevators in the new WTC: World Trade Center’s Elevators to Be Among the World’s Fastest

And a blogger is taking a photo a day of the construction outside his window, a slightly different angle than EarthCam and RGZ:
http://howtodaylooksgroundzero.blogspot.com/
OMG, this dude is awesome. Now we have a third webcam from a completely unique angle! Not the highest quality, but since it refreshes every second it's cool enough. Also, check out this awesome time-lapse video he made...

http://www.sharef.net/htlgz_hi.mov
Old March 20th, 2009, 09:27 PM   #7931
xdexina
Dex for friends

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKOwens View Post
Regardless of whatever is built on the site planned for the PAC (I don't know if a theater is the best thing to build, but I do agree that they should build SOMETHING rather than leaving it be just a grassy park), there will still be a plaza east of the Freedom Tower. It won't be as huge as the original plaza, but if it's a huge plaza where you can stand in the middle of all of the buildings that you want, just stand in the memorial plaza... 8 acres, plenty big.

By the way, I've been thinking about something. After the WTC "Sphere", my second favorite plaza structure is the assembly of steel which sat between the two towers (I'm not sure what it's name was, but here's a photo...).

image hosted on flickr

It seems that the WTC sphere is going to be put back into place once the site is completed and I think it would be awesome if they replaced this structure as well. I'm sure the original was destroyed when the towers collapsed, but they could rebuild an exact replica. As far as where it could be located, the plaza east of WTC1 would be perfect, like so...

image hosted on flickr

This is a blurry pic of the structure (the only one I could find from an overhead angle), but the dimensions are correct. As you can see it would still leave plenty of room around the structure.

thats a good idea
i hope they put that structure replica there
when i saw first time wtc i love that metal structure
xdexina no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2009, 09:37 PM   #7932
meh_cd

Likes (Received): 123

The problem with using the memorial plaza as an area to view the towers is that it is covered with trees and finding a good viewing spot might be difficult. Not to mention it might be disrespectful to those who are there because they lost family.

The placement and design of the PAC in that render is just awful. I know it isn't the final design, but I hope they have something similar to the museum if/when a building goes up there.

As for the sculpture, yeah. It was destroyed. The sphere survived, as did the black pyramids that were out front near WTC 4 and 5, but those were apparently bulldozed or saved during cleanup depending on who you ask. Dunno if we'll see that again. I wonder if they'll recreate the 1993 memorial that was destroyed? There's two small fountains near 1 WTC in the renders that could serve this purpose.
meh_cd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2009, 02:11 PM   #7933
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 240842

Quote:
Talking about the "sphere" ; is there any change to see that sphere again, when the new WTC towers complete?
christos-greece está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2009, 05:36 PM   #7934
RKOwens

Quote:
Originally Posted by christos-greece View Post
Talking about the "sphere" ; is there any change to see that sphere again, when the new WTC towers complete?
You can see it right now in the north part of Battery Park. This is a photo I took of it a while back:

image hosted on flickr

And yes, they are planning on returning it to the site once it's completed, though it's unclear where and whether it'll be returned in its current, damaged condition, or if they'll fix it up.
Old March 21st, 2009, 09:15 PM   #7935
Ben.Dessler
BANNED

Its good to see progress now. This is one of my favorites supertalls
Ben.Dessler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2009, 12:14 AM   #7936
venom6

Likes (Received): 1302

It looks nice, but i liked the old one better
venom6 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2009, 12:19 AM   #7937
antigoon99

Likes (Received): 31

I like the progress, can't wait till its finished
Old March 22nd, 2009, 05:59 AM   #7938
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
And yes, they are planning on returning it to the site once it's completed, though it's unclear where and whether it'll be returned in its current, damaged condition, or if they'll fix it up.
I hope they'll leave it in the damaged condition, I think it looks kind of neat that way and besides it would be much better memorial to the events of 9/11 if they don't repair it.
Old March 22nd, 2009, 06:28 AM   #7939
Zollern

Likes (Received): 15

Similar to the cracked and unrepaired Liberty Bell.
Zollern no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2009, 09:12 AM   #7940
micrip

Likes (Received): 1050

It should not be repaired. It is a relic now. I wonder if it's possible to return it to the exact same spot it stood before 9/11? It was between the two towers, correct, and that will be empty space when the memorials are completed?

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center