daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 16th, 2006, 07:54 PM   #61
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

The first steel beam for the the tower will be displayed to see and sign tomorrow morning, for families of those who died in the terror attack as well as the public.

The beam will be set up in Battery Park City at 200 North End Avenue.

Zaz965 liked this post
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 17th, 2006, 04:41 AM   #62
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

I will be there tommorrow, though it won't be to sign those beams unless I can forge the signature of Osama Bin Laden.
Old December 17th, 2006, 06:12 AM   #63
lbjeffries

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalB View Post
I will be there tommorrow, though it won't be to sign those beams unless I can forge the signature of Osama Bin Laden.
I don't get it. Is that terrorist humor? That may be one of the dumbest things I have ever read in my entire life. I'm just going to give you the benifit of a doubt and assume you are severely retarded.

Highcliff liked this post
lbjeffries no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2006, 06:19 AM   #64
Spooky873
BANNED

Likes (Received): 64

haha.............well im waiting too, cause it was just, i dont know, stupid? why bother putting sometihng like that up, actually taking time (although not much, just like im doing writing this) outta your life to write that.

Spooky873 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2006, 07:25 AM   #65
jmancuso
make it so...

Likes (Received): 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjeffries View Post
I don't get it. Is that terrorist humor? That may be one of the dumbest things I have ever read in my entire life. I'm just going to give you the benifit of a doubt and assume you are severely retarded.
talb thinks that they (who ever decides what's built) are caving to OBL by not rebuilding the original towers...hence his OBL remark. i think he's wrong but that's his take on it.

the reason why i don't think they would be rebuilt because of what they now represent; death and destruction.

edit: talb, re-read the first post of this thread before you post again.

Last edited by jmancuso; December 17th, 2006 at 09:12 AM. Reason: talb
jmancuso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2006, 08:19 AM   #66
ramvid01

Likes (Received): 68

Still a very twisted comment. I'll try to go if i can make time tommorow (errr today).

ramvid01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2006, 08:56 AM   #67
megatower
BANNED

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky873 View Post
haha.............well im waiting too, cause it was just, i dont know, stupid? why bother putting sometihng like that up, actually taking time (although not much, just like im doing writing this) outta your life to write that.

megatower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2006, 07:22 PM   #68
soup or man
Avant Garde

Likes (Received): 864

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Daily News

Towers, excitement rising at WTC site

BY PAUL D. COLFORD
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Workers mill around massive steel beams for Freedom Tower at Ground Zero. New Yorkers can sign one of the girders today.

More than five years after the destruction of the twin towers, the rebuilding of the World Trade Center site has begun in earnest.

Hardhats are breaking up the stone floor of The Pit to make way for the official World Trade Center Memorial.

They've started to excavate at Church and Liberty Sts. to build a massive slurry wall that will support three office towers being constructed by developer Larry Silverstein.

They've poured 3,000 cubic yards of concrete to prepare the foundation for the 1,776-foot Freedom Tower.

And this week they'll raise the first of many massive steel columns, each up to 35 feet long, for the signature skyscraper.

The initial three columns will include one that relatives of 9/11 victims and average New Yorkers are invited to sign in Battery Park City today.

Eleven more of the columns will be delivered to Ground Zero by the end of the month.

After many drawn-out and often bitter disputes over the building plans, agreements hashed out this year reinvigorated the sluggish rebuilding process and created a six-year timetable for the main projects at the site, owned by the Port Authority.

"I love going down to the site now because it was quiet for so long," said PA Executive Director Kenneth Ringler, whose agency assumed greater responsibility this year for the rebuilding, including overseeing construction of the memorial.

"Months ago, you didn't have to wear a hardhat," Ringler said. "But now, all the important parts are moving forward."

Fifty-five construction workers were laboring at the Freedom Tower site last week, and the workforce for the $2.5 billion skyscraper is expected to grow by 20 this week, now that the steel is arriving.

"It's going good," said Tishman Construction superintendent Carmine Castellano.

In all, some 370 hardhats, maneuvering 70 pieces of heavy equipment, are working across the Trade Center site building the Freedom Tower, the memorial and the new transit hub.

A new headquarters for Goldman Sachs, miles of utility pipes and electrical lines and acres of parkland must also be completed - bringing thousands of trucks each month to the area around Ground Zero.

The ongoing projects, while enormous, are only a prologue to what lies ahead.

Under the new timetable, which calls for the concurrent rather than sequential construction of the significant aspects, work will peak in 2009.

That's when "the erection of structural steel and construction of concrete cores" for the Freedom Tower and Silverstein's three high-rise towers will be completed simultaneously.

Things are going to get interesting.
Old December 17th, 2006, 08:29 PM   #69
Spooky873
BANNED

Yea, we dont have a thousand construction workers making 4 bucks an hour here either.

Old December 17th, 2006, 08:50 PM   #70
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Likes (Received): 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramvid01 View Post
Are all those vehicles on that motorway going to the same construction site? Comparing apples to oranges.
So what. New York must have afew 1000+ trucks travelling in and out every day anyway. Deliveries, Construction vehicles, also sorts. There's already loads of buildings going up in New York. Anyone who thinks about it 9000 trucks a month is not alot. I was at the main royal mail depot in Manchester the other day. 1 articulated truck(or an 18 wheeler style to you guys) was coming in and out every 30 seconds. That wasn't on a motorway, that was about 1 minute from the city centre. Work that out its like 2000-3000 trucks a day.

Also their no difference between an 18 wheeler or shorter one and a construction truck. The truck its self is totally the same. Same engine, Same seats, Same shell the only thing different is the Back. It might just carry concrete or some steel instead of a load of boxes. Not abig deal.

andysimo123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2006, 10:39 PM   #71
Spooky873
BANNED

Have you ever been to downtown Manhattan? Do you realize the overall volume of activity combined here? 9,000 trucks is quite a bit if you ask me, or any New Yorker. It doesnt exactly make things easier on our way to work.
Old December 17th, 2006, 11:13 PM   #72
ramvid01

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysimo123 View Post
So what. New York must have afew 1000+ trucks travelling in and out every day anyway. Deliveries, Construction vehicles, also sorts. There's already loads of buildings going up in New York. Anyone who thinks about it 9000 trucks a month is not alot. I was at the main royal mail depot in Manchester the other day. 1 articulated truck(or an 18 wheeler style to you guys) was coming in and out every 30 seconds. That wasn't on a motorway, that was about 1 minute from the city centre. Work that out its like 2000-3000 trucks a day.

Also their no difference between an 18 wheeler or shorter one and a construction truck. The truck its self is totally the same. Same engine, Same seats, Same shell the only thing different is the Back. It might just carry concrete or some steel instead of a load of boxes. Not abig deal.
May I ask what your purpose is in posting this obvious comment in this thread that 9000 trucks a month isnt a lot. Look, were talking about a construction site not how many trucks pass on a motorway, or in a city. We all know that its going to be more, but thats not the point. Your argument although true, does not pertain to this thread. Go argue that in the transportation section of this forum if you please.

ramvid01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2006, 01:27 AM   #73
fish

Likes (Received):

Update: 12/17/2006
World Trade Center

Old December 18th, 2006, 02:38 AM   #74
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Likes (Received): 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramvid01 View Post
May I ask what your purpose is in posting this obvious comment in this thread that 9000 trucks a month isnt a lot. Look, were talking about a construction site not how many trucks pass on a motorway, or in a city. We all know that its going to be more, but thats not the point. Your argument although true, does not pertain to this thread. Go argue that in the transportation section of this forum if you please.
The paper or news people are trying to say the areas around the world trade centre site are going really noisy and these buildings are going to be bad for the city while under construction because of extra vehicles. I am trying to tell you guys they are full of shite.

andysimo123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2006, 04:44 AM   #75
Dallas star
Everything Texas

Likes (Received): 371

I LOVE THIS BUILDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dallas star no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2006, 08:10 AM   #76
_BPS_
678 999 8212

Likes (Received): 2564

Nice renders!

Why the name "Freedom" Tower ?
_BPS_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2006, 08:51 AM   #77
philvia

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysimo123 View Post
The paper or news people are trying to say the areas around the world trade centre site are going really noisy and these buildings are going to be bad for the city while under construction because of extra vehicles. I am trying to tell you guys they are full of shite.
Think of the building site as your house in the middle of a very congested area of town. You honestly think 9,000 trucks/month will not hinder anything at all? Cause no disturbances to nearby occupancies? Though mathmatically, 9,000 trucks/month isn't that much... we're talking Manhattan here

philvia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2006, 08:55 AM   #78
philvia

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerardB View Post
A few pics do no harm in case of a new thread

btw, that is freaking awesome looking!

philvia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2006, 09:31 AM   #79
JoSin
\Attituded\

Likes (Received): 226

The building is indeed awesome. Btw I saw the renders in the first page, there are some sort of "pit" beside the tower. Whats that? A watefall or something?

JoSin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2006, 09:58 AM   #80
TroyBoy

Likes (Received): 15

ya, a hole in the ground with a waterfall, theres two of them and its where the twin towers once stood.

TroyBoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center