daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 1st, 2007, 11:58 AM   #781
Varenukha
London, UK

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazaire View Post
why does this seem like the slowest moving project in the World right now?
Try London, mate.
Some truly great projects for the city but if it's not UNESCO sticking their oar in, its idiot government ministers (an oxymoron?) or the ill-named English Heritage, doing their best to prevent anything over head-height being built.
NYC cannot be worse!

Highcliff liked this post
Varenukha no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 1st, 2007, 03:02 PM   #782
stillmatic

That render looks absolutely great.

stillmatic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2007, 03:18 PM   #783
depressio
Lime and limpid green

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post
They're still not going to lose that ugly block at the bottom?

Grrrrrrr.....

And yes, there needs to be more supertalls there - a new 'exclamation point' for the skyline. Without the old 'twins', even with these, NYC is just a big mass of unremarkable buildings whereas Chicago has CHARACTER!

Mike
I think you're being unfair. These buildings really don't look bad at all, and were all designed by decent architects. No building has character when it's first designed; it develops with age.
While I agree that Chicago's projects look better, I admit myself as biased.

depressio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2007, 03:24 PM   #784
MasonicStage™
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by giovani kun View Post
from the other forum..posted by DUBAI2015..nice one
[IMG]http://i19.************/6ferssn.jpg[/IMG]
Yeah...this new complex will be great refreshment for NYC skyline! Looks awesome!

MasonicStage™ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2007, 03:29 PM   #785
depressio
Lime and limpid green

All these pics show Manhattan in the Afternoon or at night. Does anyone have anything in the morning, where the light is from the east?

Old May 1st, 2007, 04:11 PM   #786
Winbuks
I am sterdam

Likes (Received): 543

Update 22 april 2007

Pictures are taken by myself, I made them the sunday 22th of april:

Mijlpalen: Noord/Zuidlijn 2017 | 2e Coentunnel 2013 | Oosterdokseiland 2012 | IJDock 2013 | JuBi Den Haag 2012 | New Babylon 2012 | Kempkensberg Groningen 2013 | Rabobank Utrecht 2011 | New Orleans 2010 | De Rotterdam 2013 | Markthal 2014 | Erasmus MC 2017 | Utrecht Centraal 2014 | Rotterdam Centraal 2013 | OV-Terminal Arnhem 2012 | Den Haag Centraal 2013 | OV-Terminal Breda 2014 | Station Delft 2016 | Stationseiland Amsterdam Centraal 2017 | Gershwin 2020 | ZuidasDok 2030

Winbuks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2007, 04:16 PM   #787
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6530

nice pics, thx

ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2007, 05:46 PM   #788
Ralphkke
Carpe Diem

Likes (Received): 2

It looks so damn modern, really like this design Alot better then the old World Trade Towers

Ralphkke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2007, 06:19 PM   #789
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by depressio View Post
I think you're being unfair. These buildings really don't look bad at all, and were all designed by decent architects. No building has character when it's first designed; it develops with age.
While I agree that Chicago's projects look better, I admit myself as biased.
I do agree that they don't look bad at all as individual buildings, in fact a couple of them look pretty good, but, IMHO, that part of the skyline will still be missing its 'signature'.

Mike

mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2007, 06:27 PM   #790
depressio
Lime and limpid green

Well just rebuilding the towers the way they were seems a little dumb to me when you have the chance to create something much more magnificent and meaningful.

Old May 1st, 2007, 07:26 PM   #791
soup or man
Avant Garde

Likes (Received): 864

You people are forgetting how big each of these buildings are.

soup or man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2007, 08:43 PM   #792
Don Omar
Bark twice if in Milwauke

Likes (Received): 36

great renderings, in those buildings there will be more office space than most US cities
Black, White, New York you make it happen

- Beastie Boys

Don Omar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2007, 09:20 PM   #793
Tall Paul

Nice renderings, but.........

Freedom Tower Questioned Amid Rising Costs
April 10, 2007

By Kevin Lerner

As work on the Freedom Tower’s foundations progresses, with an eye to vertical construction beginning next year, observers are expressing doubts over the project’s total price tag, which seems poised to rise at a faster rate than the building itself.

Rate this project:
Based on what you have seen and read about this project, how would you grade it? Use the stars below to indicate your assessment, five stars being the highest rating.
Rated Not yet rated
Rate This
----- Advertising -----

Earlier this year, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey officially authorized construction of the Skidmore Owings & Merrill-designed building, which forms the symbolic cornerstone of the rebuilt World Trade Center complex. The agency also approved the awarding of contracts worth nearly $500 million for continuing construction on the Freedom Tower’s foundations, which began last spring.

A press release stated that the contract amounts fall “within planned-for contingencies common to projects of this scale,” a roughly 4 percent margin. The building’s total price tag is currently set at $2.88 billion. But many observers believe that the final number will rise far higher.

Barry LePatner, Hon. AIA, a real estate attorney and construction cost expert, contends that the Freedom Tower’s initial bid numbers were virtually meaningless—unless construction companies agree to sign fixed-cost contracts, which seems unlikely. The problem, he explains, is that contractors often lowball their estimates to win projects and then file change orders and add other fees to make up the difference later.

Prominent real estate developers including Douglas Durst and Anthony Malkin have also criticized the project’s finances. Lower Manhattan has an oversupply of office space, they told The New York Times in February, and the Freedom Tower is struggling to attract commercial tenants aside from government agencies.

New York’s new governor, Eliot Spitzer, pledged his support to the Freedom Tower’s construction after taking office this winter—a symbolic but critical step. Even so, Spitzer as well as New Jersey governor Jon Corzine and New York City mayor Michael Bloomberg have said that they are open to selling it to a private developer, which could presumably redesign it. The foundations under construction now, they note, can be used for buildings other than the Freedom Tower.

Other projects at the World Trade Center site face a similarly uncertain fate. The Port Authority admitted this winter that rising labor and materials costs have caused the PATH station, designed by Santiago Calatrava, to exceed its $2.2 billion budget by as much as $1.2 billion. The architect and agency are looking for ways to trim costs. These could include a redesign, although Calatrava has said he is committed to preserving his design’s signature elements.

In other World Trade Center news, the Lower Manhattan Development Corporation (LMDC) has released a revised General Project Plan for construction projects at the World Trade Center site, spelling out the responsibilities of various stakeholders. New York City and New York State jointly created this agency in 2001 to oversee rebuilding at Ground Zero.

The LMDC, in cooperation with the World Trade Center Memorial Foundation, will build the 9/11 memorial and memorial museum. Another key player, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, will build the Freedom Tower, designed by Skidmore Owings & Merrill, the PATH transit terminal designed by Santiago Calatrava, and sub-surface infrastructure for the whole site.

This revised plan was included in the LMDC’s “Final Report,” outlining its activity since 2001. Although the agency has largely closed its operations, allocating many of its duties to other agencies and private corporations, it continues to administer grants and supervise several downtown projects.

http://archrecord.construction.com/n...410freedom.asp

Tall Paul no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2007, 09:43 PM   #794
downtownVital.org
You can call me Dan

Likes (Received): 4

I was by the site yesterday. Great to see the work progressing and know that reconstruction is underway. I think this complex will be a wonderful addition to downtown and much nicer from a pedestrian perspective than what I've seen of the old WTC.

http://www.downtownvital.org

downtownVital.org no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2007, 10:31 PM   #795
zerokarma

Likes (Received): 12

Nice pictures, good update

zerokarma no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2007, 10:47 PM   #796
-Corey-
Je suis tout à vous

Likes (Received): 5224

those are pics are extremely cool..

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏

-Corey- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2007, 11:21 PM   #797
TICONLA1
Hirise Piping Man

Likes (Received): 121

The renderings are great, including the "river shot", i've heard that soon they will start on tower 4 or the one by the japanese architect, on the southeast corner, i heard this summer. But with my experence in construction, i figure about a year before we see anything substantialy above grade, there is still alot of subgrade work, and the trains must stay in operation during this prosess.

TICONLA1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2007, 11:32 PM   #798
FlyFish

Likes (Received): 83

I always seem to be the contrarian but I guess that's my lot in life. I looked at the render on the previous page (especially the river shot) and when you put these buildings in with the rest of the buildings in the immediate area I think these new WTC buildings look like crap.

Too bad the designs didn't take into consideration the surrounding architecture. I hope the purpose was to have them stick out, because they certainly do.

FlyFish no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2007, 12:42 AM   #799
TICONLA1
Hirise Piping Man

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFish View Post
I always seem to be the contrarian but I guess that's my lot in life. I looked at the render on the previous page (especially the river shot) and when you put these buildings in with the rest of the buildings in the immediate area I think these new WTC buildings look like crap.

Too bad the designs didn't take into consideration the surrounding architecture. I hope the purpose was to have them stick out, because they certainly do.
I would agree, at first i liked the idea of 4 towers of graduating height, with the same cladding, for instance tower 1 at 120 foors and then down to 60 floors in tower 4, like the Libskind proposal, but with another architect, like Norman Foster, but this will do, also when this project is complete, (around the year 3000 the way its going) the renderings won't do the towers justice as shown.

TICONLA1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2007, 01:10 AM   #800
rogerick1970
BANNED

Likes (Received): 62

Will the other towers in the WTC complex also have a concrete core? If so we will have to wait forever and a day like the Freedom Tower.

Is anything going on at the FT site, because for the past 2 weeks their has been no progress

rogerick1970 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center