daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 29th, 2009, 07:22 AM   #8061
skyperu34
TRUXILLO del PERU !!!

Likes (Received): 808

Thx for updating us !!! There is notorius progress...

Diseño, arquitectura, arte y naturaleza en:

skyperu34 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 29th, 2009, 08:05 AM   #8062
Joy Machine
George

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam-albany View Post
No. New York City is essentially at sealevel, which means that the entire foundation had to be reinforced to keep the Hudson River from seeping in. That foundation work, together with clearing the site and searching for remains, took many of the years that most people declared wasted. With a cleared foundation, you now have to build:
  • Five major skyscrapers, which will house Class A office space comparable to all of downtown Atlanta
  • One of the world’s most significant memorials and museums
  • The third-largest transportation hub in New York City
  • A world-class retail venue serving all of Lower Manhattan
  • A major performing arts center
  • A state-of-the-art vehicle security center
  • Two brand-new city streets (Greenwich and Fulton) and two brand-new pedestrian ways (Cortlandt and Dey)
  • All of the critical infrastructure to support these projects (chiller plant, utility and communication networks, etc).
In the space of a few city blocks over the top of two continually operating mass transit rail lines.

There is no other site in the world facing the complexities of the World Trade Center rebuilding. Owing to the unique nature of the site, there is a lot of political baggage. However, the sheer logistics of this project are astounding.
Well, building complexities vs program complexities are two totally different things. Spacial issues are determined by the architect and with the demands and the given space, yeah, you need to hire talent to fit all that in there with the codes and what-not, but only 3 out of those things in the list are "necessary" and yes, that's including the given infrastructure which every building must have. But as for the construction, there is nothing new that ny is facing. A retaining wall is a retaining wall and nothing Gotham City has never seen before.
Joy Machine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2009, 05:37 PM   #8063
Basincreek
Contrary Lite

Likes (Received): 55

I liked the Freedom Tower name (I guess that makes me ignorant) but I don't see this "rename" as a big deal since it actually always was One World Trade Center. Emphasizing the correct address of a building is not that big of a deal.
Basincreek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2009, 05:41 PM   #8064
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

lets please change the name of the thread before some get confused.

독일의 막가파 두목이름은? 칼막 휘둘러
일본에서 가장 유명한 구두쇠 수도국장 이름은? 무라까와 쓰지마
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2009, 06:46 PM   #8065
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

How in the world could you get confused over the title? It already says 1WTC, which is the name I suppose you want. It also says Freedom Tower which is the name many people know it as and will continue to call it. Seems like it's the best option for everyone.
Old March 29th, 2009, 06:56 PM   #8066
Jaee
Poop

Likes (Received): 6

i love this tower i saw it on Yahoo
Jaee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2009, 07:49 PM   #8067
RKOwens

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by metsfan View Post
By the way, i saw some great progress last week. Photos soon i promise.

- A
Again, stop it.
RKOwens no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2009, 08:23 PM   #8068
Krattle

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy Machine View Post
Well, building complexities vs program complexities are two totally different things. Spacial issues are determined by the architect and with the demands and the given space, yeah, you need to hire talent to fit all that in there with the codes and what-not, but only 3 out of those things in the list are "necessary" and yes, that's including the given infrastructure which every building must have. But as for the construction, there is nothing new that ny is facing. A retaining wall is a retaining wall and nothing Gotham City has never seen before.

Dude, wtf are you talking about? Gotham City is fictional. Have you no brains? Why don't you just capitulate and admit that you were wrong. The new WTC is quite complex, period. Union Square in Hong Kong was equally as complex and it took them 10 years to make it. They had to build new roads, a dozen very large skyscrapers, a new stop for the metro, shopping facilities, etc. These projects just take time, so live with it. And it doesn't matter which of those things is "necessary;" they're building all of them!

And besides, everything on that list is necessary except the performing arts center. Office space is needed to replace what was lost with the original WTC. Check. You need infrastructure to make all of it work. Check. WTC was a transportation hub before, so it needs to be one again. Thousands of people will be commuting to the new WTC and since a subway goes directly under the complex, you had might as well connect them. Check. You need the new roads because the original WTC always caused traffic problems. Check. You need the security center, no matter how stupid it is to think that car park security will stop terrorists if they've already made it that far. Check. Retail venues are always a good idea, especially since the local, on-the-street economy was hurt big time by the WTC event. The memorial, while maybe not necessary in some people's minds since the building itself can be the memorial, is still a very good idea. You should have something to commemorate the original and to honor the memories of the victims. Check. Performing arts center? I actually don't see why this is necessary since the original WTC had no such thing. Nonetheless, I'm sure there's some reason why it's there.

Last edited by Krattle; March 29th, 2009 at 08:32 PM.
Krattle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2009, 10:04 PM   #8069
RKOwens

Likes (Received): 0

I hope this isn't too off topic, but anyone interested in the original World Trade Center should find this video interesting. Video from inside the Twin Towers on 9/11 is rare. In fact, up until now the only video known to exist was the Jules Naudet footage from inside the North Tower lobby. There were a handful of photographs taken by a woman descending stairwell B, but this was also in the North Tower. No videos or even photos from inside the South Tower on 9/11 were known to exist. However, I just came across this video shot by an evacuating office worker on his pocketpc from inside the South Tower lobby! This video is incredible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taPjiKU3iPo
RKOwens no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2009, 10:10 PM   #8070
econ_tim

Likes (Received): 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKOwens View Post
Again, stop it.
Glad I'm not the only one who notices.
econ_tim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2009, 11:03 PM   #8071
ShieldCastle

Likes (Received): 20

Incredible video RK.. Thanks..
ShieldCastle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2009, 01:30 AM   #8072
adam-albany

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy Machine
English please? Which three things exactly are necessary? By my count, the five skyscrapers are necessary to offset the lost office space so that Mr. Silverstein's lease can resume under equivilant terms. There's no way you weren't going to have the nation's most impressive memorial at the site of one of its worst tragedies. The retail space will help sustain the massive amount of people that are flowing through the site as well as help the Port Authority recoup some of the costs from such a massive project. The vehicle security center is something they would have liked to have at the site since the van bombing of the WTC in 1993 and an absolute necessity at the nation's ripest target. And then there's the unparalleled infrastructure demands of all of that, which are unavoidable in order to have a functioning site. By my count that only leaves the performing arts center and the two new city streets as arguably unnecessary. Take those elements out and you still have a site of unparalleled complexity.
The difference between the slurry walls at this site and the retaining walls elsewhere in New York is that they don't have the luxury of building from scratch. The only lucky thing to come out of 9/11 is that the existing slurry walls didn't break, keeping the site dry. But owing to the two transit lines that resumed continuous service shortly after the site was cleared, the new slurry walls had to be built behind the existing slurry walls which were just barely hanging on. Such a precarious replacement process is much more complex than simply building a new slurry wall from scratch.
(BTW, while New York City has been nicknamed Gotham, it is not synonymous with Gotham City from Batman)

EDIT: Err, what Krattle said.

Last edited by adam-albany; March 30th, 2009 at 01:31 AM. Reason: Err, what Krattle said.
adam-albany no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2009, 06:09 AM   #8073
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

Yeah Gotham is one of NYC nickname, not the DC comic city. But writing page long replys back and forth to each other only going to get the page lock. Let try to stay out of the long fights, or just keep them private Thanks.
Old March 30th, 2009, 10:11 AM   #8074
micrip

Likes (Received): 1050

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKOwens View Post
I hope this isn't too off topic, but anyone interested in the original World Trade Center should find this video interesting. Video from inside the Twin Towers on 9/11 is rare. In fact, up until now the only video known to exist was the Jules Naudet footage from inside the North Tower lobby. There were a handful of photographs taken by a woman descending stairwell B, but this was also in the North Tower. No videos or even photos from inside the South Tower on 9/11 were known to exist. However, I just came across this video shot by an evacuating office worker on his pocketpc from inside the South Tower lobby! This video is incredible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taPjiKU3iPo
Amazing video. Almost 8 years later, new stuff keeps turning up on Utube. Who knows what might surface still...
Old March 30th, 2009, 11:00 AM   #8075
ShieldCastle

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by micrip View Post
Amazing video. Almost 8 years later, new stuff keeps turning up on Utube. Who knows what might surface still...
Yeah a lot of surveillance-camera footage. Would be amazing to see.
ShieldCastle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2009, 11:57 AM   #8076
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 415

CHANCE FOR 'FREEDOM'

Freedom may be returning to One World Trade Center.

A bill to be submitted this week in Albany seeks a permanent name change for the tower at Ground Zero, officially declaring it the Freedom Tower.

Brooklyn Sen. Marty Golden is submitting the legislation in defiance of the Port Authority, which owns the site.

The agency last week announced it was dropping the patriotic moniker.

Golden is canvassing fellow Republicans as well as Democrats in the Legislature for support for his bill.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/03292009...dom_161905.htm

more stupid fighting yawn
webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2009, 04:47 PM   #8077
Athinaios
3D geo-modeler

Likes (Received): 136

A new crane is rising?

One World Trade Center in Google Earth
Athinaios no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2009, 06:53 PM   #8078
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

no, that's not a crane.
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2009, 06:53 PM   #8079
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

The north core seems like it grow a bit may take a while to catch up. Lets see if they put more man power on it.
Old March 30th, 2009, 07:02 PM   #8080
Tag_one

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athinaios View Post

A new crane is rising?
No, it's a concrete pump
Tag_one no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center