daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 30th, 2009, 07:03 PM   #8081
econ_tim

Likes (Received): 100

That's not a crane -- it's a staircase for construction workers.
econ_tim no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 30th, 2009, 07:14 PM   #8082
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag_one View Post
No, it's a concrete pump
Definitely not a concrete pump, where it's located there is no way to get cement trucks to it.
Old March 30th, 2009, 07:31 PM   #8083
RKOwens

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by micrip View Post
Amazing video. Almost 8 years later, new stuff keeps turning up on Utube. Who knows what might surface still...
Indeed. Just a few weeks ago I saw for the first time a new video of the first crash (into the North Tower). It was shot by a TV crew planning to go on the air shortly. They had the camera sitting on the ground (recording) and you hear the plane pass over and hear the explosion and see the immediate reactions of people in the camera frame (you don't actually see the plane though), then the camera pans to see the mushroom cloud of smoke just starting to rise. I'll get back on topic if need be, but here's a link...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVEmAWaKoYQ

Last edited by RKOwens; March 30th, 2009 at 07:37 PM.
RKOwens no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2009, 07:34 PM   #8084
RKOwens

Likes (Received): 0

How Today Looks Ground Zero's webcam shows a better angle of it. It's just a staircase.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7469265...53534/sizes/o/

(photo is too large to post in thread, just copy/paste link)
RKOwens no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2009, 12:11 PM   #8085
Jagoda
Capital of culture 2016

Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKOwens View Post
How Today Looks Ground Zero's webcam shows a better angle of it. It's just a staircase.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7469265...53534/sizes/o/

(photo is too large to post in thread, just copy/paste link)
Medium size ;]

image hosted on flickr
Jagoda no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2009, 01:18 PM   #8086
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

WTC7 looks amazing, I expect WTC1 to look somgthing like that as well.

독일의 막가파 두목이름은? 칼막 휘둘러
일본에서 가장 유명한 구두쇠 수도국장 이름은? 무라까와 쓰지마
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2009, 06:28 PM   #8087
Athinaios
3D geo-modeler

Likes (Received): 136

I agree, it looks awesome during the day&night and the lights of the entrance are cool:

One World Trade Center in Google Earth
Athinaios no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2009, 09:05 PM   #8088
Onn
BANNED

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildmilehightower View Post
WTC7 looks amazing, I expect WTC1 to look somgthing like that as well.
The glass looks to be clearer on 1WTC, and lighter too. A light grey, or possibly even a very light green. The individual pieces of the cladding are also supposed to be larger than on a normal skyscraper. I'm pretty sure this is the mock-up of the cladding, which was taken sometime in the last two years. Needless to say, I think the two towers will compliment each other very well:

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by Onn; March 31st, 2009 at 09:21 PM.
Onn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2009, 09:35 PM   #8089
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1028

isn't the PA set to hand over control of the site to silverstein today?
Uaarkson está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2009, 01:11 AM   #8090
meh_cd

Likes (Received): 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uaarkson View Post
isn't the PA set to hand over control of the site to silverstein today?
For Tower 2. Tower 1 is being built by the Port Authority.
meh_cd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2009, 04:17 AM   #8091
VRS

Likes (Received): 11521

very clear up date picture.....great can see NYK at present time now....
VRS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2009, 04:33 AM   #8092
Onn
BANNED

A Chinese company is going to make the 1WTC cladding, at least on the bottom part of the tower. I have to say I'm a little disappointed. The Port Authority picked the low bidder for the base cladding, of a very special building. Is that not snubbing it? Why are they giving a glass contract to a company that could then make the same glass for hundreds of other buildings? What was their reasoning behind this, is the cladding going to look nearly as stunning now? Not that I have a problem with Chinese made products, but Chinese made glass just doesn’t feel right on this tower.

Quote:
Chinese to make Freedom Tower glass?
March 31, 2009

A Chinese firm will manufacture one of the most important security-sensitive parts of the tower at One World Trade Center. Eyewitness News has learned that several American companies lost out in a bid to make the blast-resistant glass for the building's base. Instead, the safety-critical panels will be made in China.

It's not just a matter of jobs going overseas while America struggles through a near-depression. There's the issue of safety. One American firm has perfected the making of blast-resistant glass.They were the front-runners in the bid to make it for the Freedom Tower, but in a surprise to many in the construction industry, the Port Authority chose a Chinese firm to make the terrorism-resistant glass.

The first 20 stories of the Freedom Tower will have specially designed blast-resistant glass panels. It's a critical part of security for a building that will instantly become an American symbol and therefore a target.

US Glass Magazine is reporting that a U.S. firm, DCM Solera, the lowest bidder, will use a sub-contractor to procure the glass from a Chinese manufacturer.

"This building has to not only meet but exceed every possible safety and security standard out there," fire safety expert Glenn Corbett said.
Corbett says the Port Authority is making a big mistake.

"This is the number one terrorist target in the country," he said. "Why are we setting our standards so low for the minimum possible bid on this?"

The Port Authority released the following statement: "As a public agency, we select contractors...through a competitive bidding process to ensure the best price and quality since the tower is being financed with public money.This contract was awarded last August to an American company, which subbed out the glass fabrication work to a Chinese firm. We've inspected the firm's manufacturing in China and they're confident that the glass they will fabricate will meet or exceed safety code standards."

PPG Industries of Pittsburgh designed and developed the type of glass to be used in the tower, they worked for months with the Port Authority only to lose out to the low bidder.

"Its astounding to us that they would take a project with this level of development work, we all invested in prior to it's completion, it's specifications and with this level of visibility the Freedom Tower and bid it offshore," PPG senior vice president Vicky Holt said.

New York's senior senator is calling on the Port Authority to rescind the glass contract.

"I think that we have seen product after product from China be unreliable, and in this instance, we need the most reliable," Senator Chuck Schumer said.

The Port Authority says it will continue to send representatives to China to monitor the quality of the glass.
http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?se...ors&id=6731727
Old April 1st, 2009, 05:06 AM   #8093
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

Not really a big deal, since American firms design and work on a lot of Chinese skyscrapers. Just don't lick the glass on the base of the Freedom Tower if you don't want lead poisoning.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2009, 05:10 AM   #8094
Gendo

Likes (Received): 77

That is an extremely distasteful move by the Port Authority. If it were any other building on the site I wouldn't mind it, but I think this is very inappropriate for 1WTC.

PPG should have been awarded the contract. 1WTC should be entirely made by Americans.
Gendo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2009, 05:31 AM   #8095
Onn
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebola View Post
Not really a big deal, since American firms design and work on a lot of Chinese skyscrapers. Just don't lick the glass on the base of the Freedom Tower if you don't want lead poisoning.
If it was any other skyscraper I would agree with your comparison of American designed skyscrapers in China. But Chinese made glass on the "FREEDOM TOWER", are you sure there's nothing wrong with that picture...
Old April 1st, 2009, 06:20 AM   #8096
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 240

I am not sure it is good idea to get glass from China... They have reputation for making low quality products. I think it is disaster.
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2009, 07:45 AM   #8097
adam-albany

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
A Chinese company is going to make the 1WTC cladding, at least on the bottom part of the tower. I have to say I'm a little disappointed. The Port Authority picked the low bidder for the base cladding, of a very special building. Is that not snubbing it? Why are they giving a glass contract to a company that could then make the same glass for hundreds of other buildings? What was their reasoning behind this, is the cladding going to look nearly as stunning now? Not that I have a problem with Chinese made products, but Chinese made glass just doesn’t feel right on this tower.
While I agree with the sentiment, as a public agency the Port Authority is required to award contracts to the lowest bidder in order to avoid charges of favoritism and kick-backs. If they'd awarded the contract to an American manufacturer at a much higher cost, you have people on here complaining that the PANYNJ is wasting taxpayers' dollars unnnecessarily yet again.
adam-albany no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2009, 08:06 AM   #8098
Krattle

Likes (Received): 12

I'm glad to know that racism is alive and well.
Krattle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2009, 08:17 AM   #8099
philvia

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag_one View Post
No, it's a concrete pump
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athinaios View Post
A new crane is rising?
its staircase/elevator(?) cause they're raising south core
philvia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2009, 09:33 AM   #8100
JC_Zwolle
Le penseur

Likes (Received): 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
If it was any other skyscraper I would agree with your comparison of American designed skyscrapers in China. But Chinese made glass on the "FREEDOM TOWER", are you sure there's nothing wrong with that picture...
Who cares man, it's just glass and it's just a skyscraper. Just happens to be a really tall one and called Freedom Tower (actually, it's called 1WTC). But that doesn't mean the contractor can't choose for cheap glass made in China. After all, we live in a democracy so he has the freedom to choose.

Visit the Zwolle page!!

The man who knows too much.
JC_Zwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center