daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 1st, 2009, 09:39 AM   #8101
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

Why are we bitching about who's making the glass for this build? and who cares. Something for the haterz to hang out for the week. And its called the world trade center not the america only center. Wonder why everbody hatez us, because we thank we're
better. Lets look at the bigger picture and stop looking at the world through a close door.

Its is just glass but it's not just a skyscraper

Sponsored Links
Old April 1st, 2009, 10:32 AM   #8102
Krattle

Likes (Received): 12

Like I said, glad to see that racism is still alive and well.

Do you know who designed the original World Trade Center? Minoru Yamasaki, a Japanese architect. His vision for the complex was that it would be a symbol of peace because that is what World Trade brings about. WORLD TRADE. That's what this whole building is about - the tying togeter of countries in peaceful cooperation through Capitalist trade.

It disgusts me to think that my fellow countrymen can harbor such vitriol toward another people just because they aren't American.
Krattle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2009, 02:14 PM   #8103
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 415

7am , concrete pump truck is here, looks like they pour north section today
webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2009, 02:18 PM   #8104
ShieldCastle

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by webeagle12 View Post
7am , concrete pump truck is here, looks like they pour north section today
Fantastic news... Any new North side pictures so we can see the core rising?

Last edited by ShieldCastle; April 1st, 2009 at 02:23 PM.
ShieldCastle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2009, 02:40 PM   #8105
rotor7

Likes (Received): 0

In terms of this Glass made in China issue - just remember China pretty much owns America now......
rotor7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2009, 02:47 PM   #8106
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gendo View Post
That is an extremely distasteful move by the Port Authority. If it were any other building on the site I wouldn't mind it, but I think this is very inappropriate for 1WTC.

PPG should have been awarded the contract. 1WTC should be entirely made by Americans.
The idea of it being made entirely by Americans went out the window a long time ago. The heavy steel for the exterior columns is being imported from Europe (the Netherlands I believe) because america's steel industry didn't have the capability to make it! Show just how much america's manufacturing ability has declined.
Old April 1st, 2009, 04:54 PM   #8107
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 415

I think that "City Hall" should expel and dismiss Port Authority from this site. I'm sorry but they were given many chances before but so far they are should be blames for every site delay. They pretty much proved that they cannot manage project this size. And now they pretty much sending money overseas while we see thousands of layoffs. That pretty sad.

Last edited by webeagle12; April 1st, 2009 at 05:08 PM.
webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2009, 06:35 PM   #8108
herenthere
I♥H.K.

Likes (Received): 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krattle View Post

Do you know who designed the original World Trade Center? Minoru Yamasaki, a Japanese architect. His vision for the complex was that it would be a symbol of peace because that is what World Trade brings about. WORLD TRADE. That's what this whole building is about - the tying togeter of countries in peaceful cooperation through Capitalist trade.

It disgusts me to think that my fellow countrymen can harbor such vitriol toward another people just because they aren't American.
I did not know that it was designed by him...interesting tidbit!
Frankly speaking, it would be more patriotic to choose an American firm, but choosing the lowest cost is the point of having competition in a free market.
Old April 1st, 2009, 07:38 PM   #8109
RKOwens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebola View Post
Not really a big deal, since American firms design and work on a lot of Chinese skyscrapers. Just don't lick the glass on the base of the Freedom Tower if you don't want lead poisoning.
Indeed. Leslie Robertson, chief engineer of the original World Trade Center, also designed the recent Shanghai World Financial Center in China (or at least, his firm did). Since the WTC is all about international trade, I see no problem with the Chinese having a small hand in its construction.
RKOwens no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2009, 07:56 PM   #8110
cornish pasty

Likes (Received): 4

I don't understand mindless patriotism.
cornish pasty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2009, 08:45 PM   #8111
meh_cd

Likes (Received): 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKOwens View Post
Indeed. Leslie Robertson, chief engineer of the original World Trade Center, also designed the recent Shanghai World Financial Center in China (or at least, his firm did). Since the WTC is all about international trade, I see no problem with the Chinese having a small hand in its construction.
SOM did Burj Dubai, etc. The more we come together as a single people the better off humanity will be.
meh_cd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2009, 09:32 PM   #8112
Onn
BANNED

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krattle View Post

When did I say that? There are very good reasons why the glass on this tower should be American made. This is more than just 1WTC. There's no excuse for this tower's glass to be made in China.
Onn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2009, 09:33 PM   #8113
Onn
BANNED

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotor7 View Post
In terms of this Glass made in China issue - just remember China pretty much owns America now......
Me or my government? Big difference.
Onn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2009, 09:48 PM   #8114
Viperfreak2
BANNED

Likes (Received): 48

Krattle, maybe you have confused racism with nationalism. The point is not the glass is made by people of Asian decent, it is that is will be made by a communist country who have been producing crap. Dangerous crap. Need examples? I have a pair of Vise-Grip pliers. The Vise-Grip (American) company is now out of business. Because of poor quality? NO. I have had this pair 40+ years and they still work perfectly. I recently needed another pair and the only choice was Chinese made. It broke within an hour, doing the same stuff the other pair has been doing for so many years. Chinese drywall made with sulpher. Milk with melamine poising children. Lead toy paint, etc. Americans made huge environmental and heath mistakes (Love Canal, Three Mile Island, Georgia Peanut etc) also so I am not preaching American superiority. The bottom line is that American jobs are very important right now. We shouldn't be saving a few pennies and taking huge risks gambling on CURRENT Chinese quality standards. WTC1 should be a symbol of Americas National Pride. Just my opinions
Viperfreak2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2009, 12:02 AM   #8115
Krattle

Likes (Received): 12

Edited my own post for being off-topic.

Last edited by Krattle; April 2nd, 2009 at 03:12 AM.
Krattle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2009, 12:06 AM   #8116
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

You people better quit it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell View Post
The idea of it being made entirely by Americans went out the window a long time ago. The heavy steel for the exterior columns is being imported from Europe (the Netherlands I believe) because america's steel industry didn't have the capability to make it! Show just how much america's manufacturing ability has declined.
Sorry, if I recall correctly, this has nothing to do with America's manufacturing ability, but with geography. There's only one or two plants on the planet that are actually able to produce the quality of steel needed for certain Freedom Tower steel and none are in the US because the high quality natural resources aren't here. In any case, the PA stated that parts for 1WTC would be coming all over the world both to save and make the rest of the world feel like part of the rebuilding process.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2009, 01:22 AM   #8117
Zensteeldude

Likes (Received): 11

The Chinese made glass is going to cover an American made blast wall so if they can meet the specs let em at it.

Only the W14x730 rolled steel sections are being made in Luxemburg, by an Indian owned company. The US doesn't have a mill that can roll "super beams" anymore. Ebola, it's not the quality of the steel, it's the size.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3512479...n/photostream/

A W14x730 has a 4.91 inch thick flange and a 3.07 inch thick web.

Last edited by Zensteeldude; April 2nd, 2009 at 01:32 AM.
Zensteeldude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2009, 03:04 AM   #8118
RKOwens

Remember also, it wasn't just Americans who died on 9/11. China in particular had four citizens who were killed in the attacks. I think it's only fair for all of these countries to have a say in the memorial/site reconstruction to be able to honor their own citizens, albeit if only a small one... then again, the glass at the base of the tower IS just a small part of the overall site plan. Again, I think it's appropriate and don't see any problem.
RKOwens no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2009, 03:11 AM   #8119
Shezan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 593

that' s right
Shezan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2009, 05:45 AM   #8120
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6558

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell View Post
Luxembourg and Spain actually

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center