daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 2nd, 2009, 05:55 AM   #8121
Taufiq

Likes (Received): 1

well said Krattle
Taufiq no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 2nd, 2009, 06:48 AM   #8122
unlinked
Friends, Romans and ...

Likes (Received): 11

Acting like Elvis

The RGB webcam makes an appearance

http://www.rebuildgroundzero.org/mod...am/rgz_000.jpg
unlinked no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2009, 07:47 AM   #8123
adam-albany

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlinked View Post
Acting like Elvis

I wish it would flicker to life during daylight hours, when you can actually see something.
adam-albany no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2009, 07:53 AM   #8124
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam-albany View Post
I wish it would flicker to life during daylight hours, when you can actually see something.
I'll second that.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2009, 04:41 PM   #8125
Nomadd22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebola View Post
You people better quit it.

Sorry, if I recall correctly, this has nothing to do with America's manufacturing ability, but with geography. There's only one or two plants on the planet that are actually able to produce the quality of steel needed for certain Freedom Tower steel and none are in the US because the high quality natural resources aren't here. In any case, the PA stated that parts for 1WTC would be coming all over the world both to save and make the rest of the world feel like part of the rebuilding process.
Not quality. Size. No mill in North America could make beams that heavy. Natural resources has nothing to do with it. Mills aren't built over iron mines. Luxembourg (not Netherlands) has to have raw materials shipped from a lot further away than Pennsylvania mills do.
Nomadd22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2009, 09:30 PM   #8126
badbirdlb

I would think it would have more to do with economics, realistically how often is a steel of that grade/size needed? So why waste the resources and time to retool when you can roll form deck and I beams with very little risk and a much greater demand.
badbirdlb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2009, 09:50 PM   #8127
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

What it has everything to do about is the the deterioration of america's manufacturing infrastructure. We obviously have more demand for large structural steel than Luxembourg does yet they have the capacity to manufacture them. We have lost so much manufacturing infrastructure and capacity that we couldn't respond quickly if the demand arose. During WWII America rapidly changed its manufacturing plants from domestic goods to military materials, it's the same thing happened today we'd be SOL because we don't even have the manufacturing capacity to switch. It's certainly a sad reflection on America.
Old April 3rd, 2009, 01:03 AM   #8128
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28178

Not sure if that is bad as long as you have reliable suppliers. This is typical for globalization.
Nationalism and protectionism may seem better in short term, but in the long term will hurt international trade and economic growth.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2009, 01:34 AM   #8129
SpaceScraper
SpaceScraper

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell View Post
What it has everything to do about is the the deterioration of america's manufacturing infrastructure. We obviously have more demand for large structural steel than Luxembourg does yet they have the capacity to manufacture them. We have lost so much manufacturing infrastructure and capacity that we couldn't respond quickly if the demand arose. During WWII America rapidly changed its manufacturing plants from domestic goods to military materials, it's the same thing happened today we'd be SOL because we don't even have the manufacturing capacity to switch. It's certainly a sad reflection on America.
Help us all. Anther self-loathing idiot American.

Look, bud. China's GDP of $3.3T is 60% manufacturing or $2.0T. The US's GDP of $13.8T is 20% manufacturing or $2.8T. The US is still the biggest manufacturer in the world excluding the EU. US manufacturing base seems inadequate mostly because growth in the consumption of manufacturing goods in America has been rapidly growing while manufacturing has been stagnant to slowly contracting.

As far as responding to a military threat, if you include the Coast Guard, the US spends more on the military than the rest of the world combined. If you didn't see it on the news, would you even know we had invaded two countries half way around the world?

If you want to feel sorry of someone, may I suggest the Japanese whose exports have fallen nearly 50% in 12 months because we Americans are no longer consuming manufactured goods at our normal glutonous, debt-exploding, unsustainable pace.
SpaceScraper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2009, 01:51 AM   #8130
adam-albany

The fact is that the market for steel beams that large is too small. In the old days, every steel-producing nation would have the capability to make every size of steel because the tariffs for shipping across borders were steep enough to make that economical. Now Luxembourg probably has the corner on that small market of massive steel, and produces it for every job across the world. The flip side is that the U.S. steel industry (what's left of it, anyway) also has access to potentially every job across the world.
Old April 3rd, 2009, 02:02 AM   #8131
adam-albany

The concrete foundation (at least on the eastern side) now appears to be one floor below street level. From today:
Old April 3rd, 2009, 02:05 AM   #8132
Onn
BANNED

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Freedom Tower Follow Up: Senator Schumer and Safety Group Calls for Change
April 1, 2009

There has been much industry response to the investigative report published yesterday from USGlass magazine regarding the glass for One World Trade Center being manufactured in China after U.S. companies provided much of the development work. The local New York Affiliate, ABC-7, highlighted the story last night based on the USGlass article. In that report New York Senator Charles Schumer called for a rescinding of the glass contract.

Also in response to that article, the Skyscraper Safety Campaign (SSC) held a press conference this morning in New York City regarding this issue.

"It is a well-known fact that numerous Chinese products have inconsistent and questionable quality standards …," said Glenn Corbett of John Jay College in New York City, chief technical advisor to the Skyscraper Safety Campaign.

"In addition to grave safety concerns, the use of Chinese glass in the Freedom Tower is a slap in the face to every hardworking American worker who has lost his or her job in this time of economic crisis," he added. "President Obama has called for jobs to remain in this country so that U.S. citizens can remain gainfully employed."

Corbett also is concerned about the fact that the Freedom Tower is an extremely sensitive building in terms of security.

"The type and quality of glass is one of the most important considerations when designing a terrorism-resistant building," he said. "Glass shards have killed and maimed many people in previous terrorist blasts around the world. It is critical that the design and fabrication of the Freedom Tower glazing meet the highest possible quality standards. Does all of the glass for the Freedom Tower meet the standards of organizations such as the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) and the Department of Defense?"

The SSC called for the following immediate actions in the press conference:

-For the New York and New Jersey Congressional delegation to initiate a federal probe into the legality of the glass contract with China and to explore the relationship between the contract and the signing of the Freedom Tower lease with Beijing Vantone Co.

-For the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey (PANYNJ) to explain why no American glass company received this contract, and to answer the question why American union workers have been overlooked.

-For the PANYNJ to immediately void the Chinese glass contract and use U.S. products instead.

-For the PANYNJ to show the public exactly which standards were used to design the glass.
http://www.usgnn.com/newsFreedomTower20090401.htm
Onn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2009, 02:42 AM   #8133
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

Looks like everybody upset about this deal. The Pa was just trying to save money on this deal. Now it's biting them in the ass. Looks like the US is going to make the glass after all. The signing of Beijing Vantone Co and the glass contract look a little shady to me. They made the news days after each other. Then they change the name of the freedom tower, I hope it was to make there new business partners happy.

We'll have to wait to see how this plays out
Old April 3rd, 2009, 03:55 AM   #8134
ADCS
Kickin' it

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Offereins View Post
Not sure if that is bad as long as you have reliable suppliers. This is typical for globalization.
Nationalism and protectionism may seem better in short term, but in the long term will hurt international trade and economic growth.
Keep singing that tune, ignoring all the economic catastrophe that particular mindset has engendered in the world.

Globalization is a giant race to the bottom that's fully dependent on cheap energy.
ADCS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2009, 04:03 AM   #8135
jwalas

April 02.

jwalas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2009, 08:24 AM   #8136
VRS

Likes (Received): 11521

great up date...
VRS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2009, 02:20 PM   #8137
cornish pasty

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperfreak2 View Post
Krattle, maybe you have confused racism with nationalism. The point is not the glass is made by people of Asian decent, it is that is will be made by a communist country who have been producing crap. Dangerous crap. Need examples? I have a pair of Vise-Grip pliers. The Vise-Grip (American) company is now out of business. Because of poor quality? NO. I have had this pair 40+ years and they still work perfectly. I recently needed another pair and the only choice was Chinese made. It broke within an hour, doing the same stuff the other pair has been doing for so many years. Chinese drywall made with sulpher. Milk with melamine poising children. Lead toy paint, etc. Americans made huge environmental and heath mistakes (Love Canal, Three Mile Island, Georgia Peanut etc) also so I am not preaching American superiority. The bottom line is that American jobs are very important right now. We shouldn't be saving a few pennies and taking huge risks gambling on CURRENT Chinese quality standards. WTC1 should be a symbol of Americas National Pride. Just my opinions
Last time I checked most skyscrapers in China were still standing.
cornish pasty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2009, 03:23 PM   #8138
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceScraper View Post
Help us all. Anther self-loathing idiot American.
I'm glad you have an opinion, everybody has one just like everybody has a a__ hole but you don't have to be derogatory to others while expressing yours.
Quote:
Look, bud.
See my comments above.
Quote:
China's GDP of $3.3T is 60% manufacturing or $2.0T. The US's GDP of $13.8T is 20% manufacturing or $2.8T. The US is still the biggest manufacturer in the world excluding the EU. US manufacturing base seems inadequate mostly because growth in the consumption of manufacturing goods in America has been rapidly growing while manufacturing has been stagnant to slowly contracting.

As far as responding to a military threat, if you include the Coast Guard, the US spends more on the military than the rest of the world combined. If you didn't see it on the news, would you even know we had invaded two countries half way around the world?
Now we can get down to the real discussion. My point had nothing to do with how much is spent on the military in America or any other country for that matter. My point was that we no longer have the manufacturing infrastructure to gear up rapidly to manufacture military materials if they suddenly become required like we did when WWII started. We certainly don't have the ship building infrastructure to build capitol ships and our aircraft industry thinks that building 20 aircraft per year is fast. Many other countries (mostly our enemies) have a much larger capacity in this field than we do.
Old April 3rd, 2009, 04:20 PM   #8139
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

good job jwalas, part of formwork are now moving up...

독일의 막가파 두목이름은? 칼막 휘둘러
일본에서 가장 유명한 구두쇠 수도국장 이름은? 무라까와 쓰지마
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2009, 07:39 PM   #8140
herenthere
I♥H.K.

Likes (Received): 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlinked View Post
Acting like Elvis

Can someone with a lot of time and patience save a snapshot everyday, and then at the end just make a huge slideshow video? It would make a great Youtube hit actually...

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center