daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 6th, 2009, 03:05 PM   #8181
metsfan
Photographer

Likes (Received): 42

My apologies to all who have been waiting for my photos. Been going through some stuff lately. I will have them up plus new ones by friday.

- A

Sponsored Links
Old April 6th, 2009, 03:33 PM   #8182
Nomadd22

Likes (Received): 1

Looking at the sketches Zen put up a while back, one of the FT's improvements seems to be the way the floor trusses attach. One of the weaknesses in the Twins was the flimsy attachment of the floor trusses to the outer walls and core, that allowed the trusses to pull away when they started sagging.
And, anyone who doesn't think the fire was the major factor might take note that when the second tower went down, the part that gave away was the wall where most of the burning fuel and debris was, opposite the impact point .
Between stronger outer columns, a lot stronger core, stronger floor truss attachment, and a helluva lot better fireproofing the new kid should hold up pretty well. Not to mention numerous protected stairwells to keep people on upper floors from being trapped.
I'll take a job on the top floor any day, and not miss the people who spend their lives looking for things to fear.
Nomadd22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2009, 05:59 PM   #8183
Viperfreak2
BANNED

Likes (Received): 48

edited: off topic

Last edited by Viperfreak2; April 6th, 2009 at 06:45 PM.
Viperfreak2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2009, 07:45 PM   #8184
adam-albany

Quote:
Originally Posted by metsfan View Post
My apologies to all who have been waiting for my photos. Been going through some stuff lately. I will have them up plus new ones by friday.
If there are actually pictures up by Friday, I think I'll faint.
adam-albany no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2009, 11:42 PM   #8185
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam-albany View Post
If there are actually pictures up by Friday, I think I'll faint.
I would count in better chance of seeing GOD

p.s: yup every NY thread now says same thing, this guy is spamming again wtf
webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2009, 01:30 AM   #8186
dachacon

Likes (Received): 164

i wouldn't call it spamming, hes just trying to be polite and tell us when he will get a chance to post new pics.
but i do agree that its annoying.
dachacon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2009, 01:35 AM   #8187
Zollern

Likes (Received): 15

No, he's not "being polite". About 24 of his last 30 posts going back to January say "pics coming soon" or suchlike.
He's game-playing, aka spamming.
Zollern no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2009, 01:49 AM   #8188
dachacon

Likes (Received): 164

okay
dachacon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2009, 02:57 AM   #8189
NewYorker2009

Likes (Received): 132

Actually RKOwens the impact from the airplane did cause structural damage which later caused the Twin Towers to fail. The plane hit at a high velocity of 500-600 mph and you're telling me structural damage didn't cause the buildings to collapse. So that would mean fire was to blame but that's impossible because no building ever collapsed due to fire. The official cause was that the plane knocked out floors in both Towers causing a major problem because with missing floors the loads above transfer to the outer columns and that wasn't good at all. Why? Well because the external wall buckled due to the missing floors and the Tower came apart causing the collapse to occur. The fire wasn't the main cause. It was interesting how the Towers remained standing for an hour because the Towers were designed to take an airplane hitting it but no one could have predicted the after effects. So to sum up it was structural damage and fire that caused the Towers to collapse not just fire!
NewYorker2009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2009, 04:45 AM   #8190
Appreciation Station

Likes (Received): 23

Metsfan left the same " pics soon " message on the 123 washington st thread, and just told him if he has the pics then show them, dont post all the time about it and never doing it. It's freaking old now, and i'm sure we are all quite sick of reading it.
Old April 7th, 2009, 05:01 AM   #8191
webeagle12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreciation Station View Post
Metsfan left the same " pics soon " message on the 123 washington st thread, and just told him if he has the pics then show them, dont post all the time about it and never doing it. It's freaking old now, and i'm sure we are all quite sick of reading it.
add beekman tower to your list too
Old April 7th, 2009, 07:13 AM   #8192
RKOwens

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker2009 View Post
Actually RKOwens the impact from the airplane did cause structural damage which later caused the Twin Towers to fail. The plane hit at a high velocity of 500-600 mph and you're telling me structural damage didn't cause the buildings to collapse. So that would mean fire was to blame but that's impossible because no building ever collapsed due to fire. The official cause was that the plane knocked out floors in both Towers causing a major problem because with missing floors the loads above transfer to the outer columns and that wasn't good at all. Why? Well because the external wall buckled due to the missing floors and the Tower came apart causing the collapse to occur. The fire wasn't the main cause. It was interesting how the Towers remained standing for an hour because the Towers were designed to take an airplane hitting it but no one could have predicted the after effects. So to sum up it was structural damage and fire that caused the Towers to collapse not just fire!
I'm hoping this will be the last thing I have to say about this. The final NIST report (the official report, released in 2005) concluded that three factors were responsible for the collapse of the towers: (1) immediate structural damage following the plane impacts, (2) the loss of the fireproofing, and (3) the fires. If any one of these factors were removed from the equation, the towers wouldn't have collapsed. Your final sentence is 100% correct. You may have misunderstood me before, or maybe I worded it in a confusing way. The damage DID play a significant role: with no damage, it wouldn't have collapsed, but with damage and no fires it wouldn't have collapsed either. Or if the fireproofing remained intact it wouldn't have collapsed. It was the combination of all three. The fires were the final factor that caused collapse. If you want to learn more, the NIST report is 10,000 pages but the executive summary (available in PDF) is only like 280 pages.

As far as no building ever collapsing from fire, untrue. Every year hundreds of steel-framed buildings collapse from fire. Look at Kader Toy Factory. It's true that no SKYSCRAPER has ever collapsed from fire, even though there have been dozens of skyscraper fires, but how many of these skyscrapers ever had a hijacked 767 crash into it? Remember, NIST concluded that, no plane damage and just regular office fires, no collapse. And, hopefully that cleared up any lingering confusion, now let's move on. Okay!

Last edited by RKOwens; April 7th, 2009 at 07:20 AM.
RKOwens no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2009, 09:50 AM   #8193
micrip

Likes (Received): 1051

I wasn't expecting my original statment to cause such a "firestorm"! Yes my intent was to comment on the resulting hieght of the pile, not the actual cause, as a couple posters have pointed out. That said, has anyone here ever viewed the impact of the plane into the south tower in slow motion? It appears that the jet literally "melts" into the building, like Superman walking thru a wall. I'm sure some structural damage resulted, but the building was so much more solid, relative to the plane, that it appeared the jet got shredded like cheese going thru a grater. The amount of damage at the actual point of impact was remarkably small, I thought. It was the extremely hot fire, from burning fuel, that finally brought the towers down.
Old April 7th, 2009, 10:12 AM   #8194
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

We haven't had any up dates in a while any pics from our buddies at SSP. Is the any more new on the glass do they a new timeline
Old April 7th, 2009, 10:52 AM   #8195
Basincreek
Contrary Lite

Likes (Received): 55

I think they're finally setting up the forms for the B2 level in the far northwest corner. If I remember correctly they want to pour that before they pour the north core again.
Basincreek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2009, 02:45 PM   #8196
Nomadd22

Looks like the Fulton St steel is finished. I wonder who'll get to use that for staging when they get it covered.
Nomadd22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2009, 03:25 PM   #8197
thomyorke26
OPEN - END

Likes (Received): 12

Does anyone knows when will it be finished this Supertall?

It is a nice Buliding, i love its structure ant the design.

Cheers.

The Cure/Radiohead/Fleetwood Mac/Travis/Keane

The Same Deep Water As You / Disintegration

I Don´t Do Drugs, The Drugs Do Me

http://www.cureconnections.com/forum.php

J´aime beaucoup la cannabis
thomyorke26 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2009, 04:29 PM   #8198
webeagle12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadd22 View Post
Looks like the Fulton St steel is finished. I wonder who'll get to use that for staging when they get it covered.
half of it is finished

Quote:
Does anyone knows when will it be finished this Supertall?

It is a nice Buliding, i love its structure ant the design.

Cheers.
here is detailed timeline

http://www.panynj.gov/wtcprogress/milestones.html
Old April 7th, 2009, 05:03 PM   #8199
unlinked
Friends, Romans and ...

Likes (Received): 11

pouring is now taking place at the north side
unlinked no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2009, 05:14 PM   #8200
NewYorker2009

Likes (Received): 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKOwens View Post
I'm hoping this will be the last thing I have to say about this. The final NIST report (the official report, released in 2005) concluded that three factors were responsible for the collapse of the towers: (1) immediate structural damage following the plane impacts, (2) the loss of the fireproofing, and (3) the fires. If any one of these factors were removed from the equation, the towers wouldn't have collapsed. Your final sentence is 100% correct. You may have misunderstood me before, or maybe I worded it in a confusing way. The damage DID play a significant role: with no damage, it wouldn't have collapsed, but with damage and no fires it wouldn't have collapsed either. Or if the fireproofing remained intact it wouldn't have collapsed. It was the combination of all three. The fires were the final factor that caused collapse. If you want to learn more, the NIST report is 10,000 pages but the executive summary (available in PDF) is only like 280 pages.

As far as no building ever collapsing from fire, untrue. Every year hundreds of steel-framed buildings collapse from fire. Look at Kader Toy Factory. It's true that no SKYSCRAPER has ever collapsed from fire, even though there have been dozens of skyscraper fires, but how many of these skyscrapers ever had a hijacked 767 crash into it? Remember, NIST concluded that, no plane damage and just regular office fires, no collapse. And, hopefully that cleared up any lingering confusion, now let's move on. Okay!
Well RKOwens I do admitt I was confused at what you were getting at because it just seemed as if you blamed the fire as the cause. I have read the NIST report and it is pretty long. I have heard of the Kader Toy Factory fire in 1993. That was a terrible fire, pretty much like the Triangle Shirtwaist Fire. I have seen your videos on you tube because you have the same name there as you do here except its rkowens4 lol. I admire your work to shut down these 9/11 Truth morons. Anyway back to the Freedom Tower topic.
NewYorker2009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center