daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 10th, 2009, 09:19 PM   #8241
RKOwens

Likes (Received): 0

Well, at least it's going faster than the Chicago Spire. At least neither WTC1 nor the memorial/museum have been affected by the credit crisis. At least the memorial is about three weeks ahead of schedule and is still on track to open for the 10th anniversary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoVabec View Post
Mods, do something...I'm sick of reading the comments and arguments about slow progress every 10 pages...
I think they have a right to express their opinion... it's not exactly spamming. But for those who are saying things are going too slow, remember also that for the past 5 months, it's been impossible for them to pour concrete since it was too cold and it would just freeze. Now that the weather has finally warmed up, we've seen huge amounts of concrete pouring in the past few weeks and this can now continue at full steam. Even when next winter comes around and they have to slow on the concrete again, the building will at least be at a point in construction where they can continue to work on the steel frame. So, even though it's been said, I'll say it again... the days of snail-pace construction are over. As is evident from the past few weeks (and past few months with the memorial), construction is progressing rapidly. Now stop complaining about the past.
RKOwens no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 10th, 2009, 09:50 PM   #8242
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 415

back to topic....

For those who live in or near NYC looks like there will be quaterly update meeting:
WTC Redevelopment Committee

Monday, April 13
6pm

Assemblymember Sheldon Silver's Office, 250 Broadway, Assembly Hearing Room, 19th Floor

Agenda
1)Update by Port Authority and Silverstein Properties
2)Lower Manhattan Development Corporation Update by Mike Murphy, Press Secretary

My guess PDF file will be posted on website on next day.
webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2009, 09:52 PM   #8243
deez

Likes (Received): 2

ground broke 3 years ago. it is slow. that's it. no excuses why (complexity underground blah blah)--bottom line, it's slow. I wish I could stop myself from constantly checking. It is quite torturous.
If you want to see some old WTC footage, 'King Kong' was on TV last night. The 1976 version with Jeff Daniels. Instead of climbing the ESB, he climbed one of the towers. cheesy effects, but good footage, nonetheless.
deez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2009, 10:30 PM   #8244
Zensteeldude

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadd22 View Post
Just had a picture in my head of Zen writing poetry for his girlfriend, and getting some very strange looks.

My wife would kill me if I wrote poetry for my girlfriend !!

Anyway, for all the "slow moaners" things are going to get interesting soon. Vesey St. is being cleared so the overhang can be removed. The temporary access road is going to be finished soon. The 48 foot sections of the perimeter columns are ready to go (they well bring the height near the 3rd floor). The north half of the core is going to catch up as quickly as the cement cures. (expect it to rise much faster than the south half did.)

The most time consuming and complex parts of construction are nearly over.

Last edited by Zensteeldude; April 11th, 2009 at 12:10 AM.
Zensteeldude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2009, 10:54 PM   #8245
adam-albany

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by webeagle12 View Post
back to topic....

For those who live in or near NYC looks like there will be quaterly update meeting:
WTC Redevelopment Committee

Monday, April 13
6pm

Assemblymember Sheldon Silver's Office, 250 Broadway, Assembly Hearing Room, 19th Floor

Agenda
1)Update by Port Authority and Silverstein Properties
2)Lower Manhattan Development Corporation Update by Mike Murphy, Press Secretary

My guess PDF file will be posted on website on next day.
It's taking place in Shelly Silver's office, so I would count on it. He's the most secretive state leader in NY history.

I do think we'll be getting the Q1 2009 report in a couple weeks, though.
adam-albany no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2009, 04:17 AM   #8246
RKOwens

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zensteeldude View Post
My wife would kill me if I wrote poetry for my girlfriend !!

Anyway, for all the "slow moaners" things are going to get interesting soon. Vesey St. is being cleared so the overhang can be removed. The temporary access road is going to be finished soon. The 48 foot sections of the perimeter columns are ready to go (they well bring the height near the 3rd floor). The north half of the core is going to catch up as quickly as the cement cures. (expect it to rise much faster than the south half did.)

The most time consuming and complex parts of construction are nearly over.
Zen, do you think the 48 foot perimeter sections will be up by this September 11th (next anniversary)? Do you have any timeline as to when they will go up?
RKOwens no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2009, 07:42 AM   #8247
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

Where those head busting mods at their suppose to keep the lames out of this thread. I'm sure they'll lock it up, we'll come back in a week and it will grow like it did last time.
There no point in fighting with the one who are saying its slow. You know they have to visit once or twice every two years.

They'll say its slow to the spire is finish. It could have open last year and that would have been to slow for them.

Ps metfan its past friday wheres my pictures?
Old April 11th, 2009, 08:52 AM   #8248
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsc View Post
Where those head busting mods at their suppose to keep the lames out of this thread. I'm sure they'll lock it up, we'll come back in a week and it will grow like it did last time.
There no point in fighting with the one who are saying its slow. You know they have to visit once or twice every two years.

They'll say its slow to the spire is finish. It could have open last year and that would have been to slow for them.

Ps metfan its past friday wheres my pictures?
yeah I'm waiting for pictures in every NY thread
webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2009, 12:12 PM   #8249
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 241088

EarthCam:
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2009, 12:39 PM   #8250
UpBarcelona

Likes (Received): 2

very slow...
UpBarcelona no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2009, 02:40 PM   #8251
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Likes (Received): 752

Here we go again...
DinoVabec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2009, 05:35 PM   #8252
PDC1987

Likes (Received): 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpBarcelona View Post
very slow...
But enough about you.

PDC1987 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2009, 05:58 PM   #8253
Zensteeldude

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKOwens View Post
Zen, do you think the 48 foot perimeter sections will be up by this September 11th (next anniversary)? Do you have any timeline as to when they will go up?
I would expect some of them to start going up as early as next month, probably on the south side first. The Fulton St. access road has to be finished first, in my opinion, becouse I don't think the cranes can lift them from Vesey St. and swing them all the way to the south side.

On the other hand, they may bring in a mobile crane to do some of the column placement.
Old April 11th, 2009, 08:29 PM   #8254
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
I don't think the cranes can lift them from Vesey St. and swing them all the way to the south side.
Actually the ones in the corners would be the hardest for the tower cranes to place because they are the furthest reach. The ones on either side are the same distance from the crane so as long as they can pick them up they shouldn't have an issue placing them. I do agree of beans will be extremely heavy and a possible problem for a tower crane to pick up.
Old April 11th, 2009, 08:43 PM   #8255
Nomadd22

Quote:
I would expect some of them to start going up as early as next month, probably on the south side first. The Fulton St. access road has to be finished first, in my opinion, becouse I don't think the cranes can lift them from Vesey St. and swing them all the way to the south side.

On the other hand, they may bring in a mobile crane to do some of the column placement.
I was just working on a cracked turntable last month because some nitwit operator didn't understand how much the capacity went down when the boom was horizontal.
I don't suppose they'd ever try a crane to crane handoff from Vessey? It doesn't look that much further away from the tower crane than the southeast corner. Or maybe raise it from an angle with a tagline.
Nomadd22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2009, 08:56 PM   #8256
Basincreek
Contrary Lite

Likes (Received): 55

Zen, how many days does the B2 slab over the PATH tracks have to cure before work over those tracks can take place with the third rail active?
Basincreek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2009, 01:34 AM   #8257
Zensteeldude

I guess I never mentioned that BOTH cranes must lift the column sections TOGETHER using a spreader beam. They are far too heavy for one crane to lift. Remember the up-side down Y on the north east corner, that section was almost beyond the cap. of both cranes combined.

Basincreek, the B3 slab is the protection slab (really to protect the tower from bombs etc. on a PATH train) I think 28 days is enough cure time for it to reach the required strength. It's being poured from east to west and I can't tell if it's even finished. Could somebody just walk up to the edge and take a pic, I'll pay your bail.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3512479...n/photostream/

Here's a Joe Woolhead photo that captures exactly what I mean. Notice that both tower cranes are lifting the section of column. The north crane has a shorter boom than the south crane, that's also a factor.

Last edited by Zensteeldude; April 12th, 2009 at 01:56 AM. Reason: added pic
Old April 12th, 2009, 04:36 AM   #8258
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

I speculate they will start working above it well before 28 days. That may be required for it to reach its design specification but it will be sufficiently strong to allow work to progress well before that. The curing can continue as other work goes on.
Old April 12th, 2009, 05:56 AM   #8259
Nomadd22

Wish I'd seen Zen's photostream earlier. I might have sounded a tiny bit less dumb in some of my posts.
Either the woman in the sketches is two feet tall, or those are some hellacious beams. I can see why there weren't too many mills in the world that could make them.
They're going to be able to use this building as a lift point for lower Manhattan when they're done.
Nomadd22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2009, 05:01 PM   #8260
Topher51

Likes (Received): 88

[QUOTE=Basincreek, the B3 slab is the protection slab (really to protect the tower from bombs etc. on a PATH train) I think 28 days is enough cure time for it to reach the required strength. [/QUOTE]

I am not familiar with the details of this project, but if they can shore the B3 slab to support it from below, they only have to wait three days before building the form work to pour the slab above. From the sound of it though, they may not be able to do that b/c it might interfere with the trains below. In that case, they will probably wait 2-3 weeks before building the form work. That way the slab will nearly be at full strength.

Assuming they cant shore off the earth below, they will need 3 slabs at nearly full strength to act as a base for the tower. After that, they can shore and pour a new floor every three days. At that point, the tower will start to fly up, which I know we are all eagerly awaiting!

For those keeping score, 9 times out of 10, concrete reaches its design strength in 7-10 days. When you specify 3000 psi, that is the guaranteed minimum strength you will get. Often times, it is much stronger than that. Generally at 3 days, it has reached about 75% of its design strength and since there is relatively no live load on the slab, they can build the form work for the next floor without overloading the slab.

Sorry, I don't come out of engineering mode on the weekends and since my wife generally tunes me out when i talk about this stuff, this is my only outlet!
Topher51 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center