daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old April 12th, 2009, 07:05 PM   #8261
RKOwens
Registered User
 
RKOwens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 227
Likes (Received): 0

I've been wondering about this formwork (in the photo below) going up for a couple weeks now. At first I thought it was just an extension of the B1 floor slab, extending westward from the B1 slab already up on the eastern side. The more I look at it, the less sure I am, and for two reasons. First, there isn't supposed to EXIST a B1 level towards the western side of the Freedom Tower, due to this being the location of the observation deck lobby. Second, if you look closely at the photo, it seems that this formwork is above the B1 slab already in place east of it. Also, it's hard to tell exactly from this angle but it seems that the formwork connects to the core at the location where the lobby would be (the horizontal line in the middle of the visible part of the core marks the lobby level). Could this be the formwork for the lobby?

As I said, it's hard to tell for sure from the webcam. Would anyone who lives in the area mind taking a picture from the West Street footbridge of that area, so we can tell for sure???

image hosted on flickr
RKOwens no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 12th, 2009, 07:15 PM   #8262
NewYorker2009
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 240
Likes (Received): 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKOwens View Post
I've been wondering about this formwork (in the photo below) going up for a couple weeks now. At first I thought it was just an extension of the B1 floor slab, extending westward from the B1 slab already up on the eastern side. The more I look at it, the less sure I am, and for two reasons. First, there isn't supposed to EXIST a B1 level towards the western side of the Freedom Tower, due to this being the location of the observation deck lobby. Second, if you look closely at the photo, it seems that this formwork is above the B1 slab already in place east of it. Also, it's hard to tell exactly from this angle but it seems that the formwork connects to the core at the location where the lobby would be (the horizontal line in the middle of the visible part of the core marks the lobby level). Could this be the formwork for the lobby?

As I said, it's hard to tell for sure from the webcam. Would anyone who lives in the area mind taking a picture from the West Street footbridge of that area, so we can tell for sure???

image hosted on flickr
That formwork is at street level. I passed by the site yesterday and it looks to be at street level forming the lobby floor. I'm sure Zensteeldude knows what it is because I'm not 100% sure but I'm assuming it's forming the lobby floor.
NewYorker2009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2009, 07:34 PM   #8263
jhalsey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London
Posts: 1,259
Likes (Received): 181

One more floor. Looking good if a bit slow.
jhalsey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2009, 07:59 PM   #8264
htlgz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 6
Likes (Received): 0

How Today Looks Ground Zero?

Some of you may have seen my website.

http://howtodaylooksgroundzero.blogspot.com

Just wanted to let you know I've updated the time-lapse video, it now shows construction progress from last August to present.

Enjoy! Let me know if the rate of progress is satisfactory
htlgz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2009, 08:10 PM   #8265
Zensteeldude
Registered User
 
Zensteeldude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Northern New Jersey
Posts: 602
Likes (Received): 11

Yes, it is formwork for the ground floor slab and supporting concrete beams. Aside from a small hallway conecting the core to stair G there is no B1 slab in that area.
Zensteeldude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2009, 08:28 PM   #8266
RKOwens
Registered User
 
RKOwens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 227
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by htlgz View Post
Some of you may have seen my website.

http://howtodaylooksgroundzero.blogspot.com

Just wanted to let you know I've updated the time-lapse video, it now shows construction progress from last August to present.

Enjoy! Let me know if the rate of progress is satisfactory
I saved the new tipe-lapse video to my desktop this morning and have been watching it repeatedly! Very awesome. Great music too. Thanks for the video, and thanks for your website overall!

And it's great to hear they've finally reached the lobby level. I just wish we had some decent photographs of this monumental milestone.
RKOwens no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2009, 04:49 AM   #8267
Northerly
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 145
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKOwens View Post
I saved the new tipe-lapse video to my desktop this morning and have been watching it repeatedly! Very awesome. Great music too. Thanks for the video, and thanks for your website overall!

And it's great to hear they've finally reached the lobby level. I just wish we had some decent photographs of this monumental milestone.
Great video! Now every time someone gets on here and bangs on about how "slow progress is" we should just post the link for that video and send em away!
Northerly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2009, 05:12 PM   #8268
econ_tim
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 172
Likes (Received): 100

image hosted on flickr


image hosted on flickr


image hosted on flickr


image hosted on flickr


image hosted on flickr


image hosted on flickr
econ_tim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2009, 05:12 PM   #8269
l'eau
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: trollingburg ;_;
Posts: 3,986
Likes (Received): 126

so slowwwww lol.
l'eau no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2009, 05:15 PM   #8270
JoHaN 15
Requiscat en pace
 
JoHaN 15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Pretoria | Centurion
Posts: 8,018
Likes (Received): 3885

Quote:
Originally Posted by l'eau View Post
so slowwwww lol.
+1
But its an awesome design. Love the fountains in front. The design just rocks
__________________
- A role model majoring in apathy -
JoHaN 15 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2009, 07:52 PM   #8271
jhalsey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London
Posts: 1,259
Likes (Received): 181

Dubai can use slave labor - not NY.
jhalsey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2009, 08:19 PM   #8272
christos-greece
Moderator!
 
christos-greece's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 173,767
Likes (Received): 240669

Quote:
Originally Posted by l'eau View Post
so slowwwww lol.
Be patient; I hope soon, especially when the north core reach the level of the south (at this moment by those photos), at the the same time they shoold probably add floors... and so on
__________________
Urban Showcase: Athens Kalamata Trikala Thessaloniki
Cityscapes: Paris Barcelona Dubai, U.A.E. Monte Carlo, Monaco
General photography: Castles of France - Chateau de France and, since May of '08: Greece!
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2009, 08:28 PM   #8273
RKOwens
Registered User
 
RKOwens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 227
Likes (Received): 0

Great pics! One question. What's up with the wire connecting to the column second nearest to the foreground? Seems kinda odd.
RKOwens no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2009, 08:51 PM   #8274
econ_tim
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 172
Likes (Received): 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKOwens View Post
Great pics! One question. What's up with the wire connecting to the column second nearest to the foreground? Seems kinda odd.
the other end was attached to the north core crane. i assume they wanted to lock it down over the Easter holiday.
econ_tim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2009, 09:20 PM   #8275
BestJack
Turin Generation
 
BestJack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Turin
Posts: 777
Likes (Received): 226

hi.... I'm italian (from Turin) but I love new york.... then sometimes I visit this thread... I have a question for you.... I already pray you to forgive me for my english and probably for the weakness of my question...

why since 2001 the work is progressing so slowly?...
BestJack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2009, 09:47 PM   #8276
NewYorker2009
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 240
Likes (Received): 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northerly View Post
Great video! Now every time someone gets on here and bangs on about how "slow progress is" we should just post the link for that video and send em away!

You really think this is excellent progress? It's progress but it is very slow progress. We're nearly 3 years into the construction of this Tower and it is barely off the ground. Sure the framework for the South Core is at 105 feet but there is much more to go. When the floors start rising that is when I'll say there is progress. Until then the building is just starting as they need to finish the underground before the building can rise to its full height.
NewYorker2009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2009, 10:10 PM   #8277
AucklandloverUK
Registered User
 
AucklandloverUK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Leeds/Sydney
Posts: 75
Likes (Received): 0

I wish ppl would stop complaining about its speed! Yes its taking a while - no sh*t sherlock but i just think, thank god its going ahead, its seems that the entire project and site has had everything thrown at it and has overcome so many obstacles! Nobody needs to explain the history behind this building, so its pretty obvious that its politically sensitive. I know your expressing your opinion but tbh if everyone is saying the same thing it clogs up the thread, a negative attitude isn't going to speed things up now! So yeah its taking its time but i think this is truly going to be magnificent when completed, im waited with baited breath but its important to remember that good things come to those who wait and i think it will make this seem even better when its finally done! Just my two cents but i cant wait for this to be done - but i'll have too
AucklandloverUK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2009, 10:45 PM   #8278
msu2001la
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 148
Likes (Received): 0

Lovely design. I'm looking forward to seeing this building progress throughout the spring and summer.
__________________
-------------------------------
Citius, Altius, Fortius
msu2001la no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2009, 11:38 PM   #8279
maciej_sl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Riyadh
Posts: 61
Likes (Received): 0

Any realistic prediction so as to when they are going to finish? There must be a schedule they have to comply with, right?
maciej_sl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2009, 11:57 PM   #8280
Onn
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: The United States
Posts: 1,544
Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestJack View Post
hi.... I'm italian (from Turin) but I love new york.... then sometimes I visit this thread... I have a question for you.... I already pray you to forgive me for my english and probably for the weakness of my question...

why since 2001 the work is progressing so slowly?...
The reason is that the site of the World Trade Center is very complex. Supertall skyscrapers do not generally get built in small spaces, like in New York, anywhere else in the world. They have to deal with things like the subway, upgrading of 100 year old utilizes, and be mindful of the buildings and people around the site. New York is very dense, any construction is under very strict rules so no one gets hurt.

Also, work on the Freedom Tower did not really start until late 2006. Part of problem was politically with New York City, other issues involved money. Most of all the original Freedom Tower design was determined not safe enough by police in a post 9/11 world. The design of the Freedom Tower had to be changed, which took time. In addition, remains of victims of the 9/11 attacks continued to be found on the site, even after construction of the Freedom Tower started. Work had to be stopped to search the WTC site for more remains, make sure they had found them all, a few times.

Work on the tower is progressing. But much work has to be done underground too. They are not simply building a skyscraper basement. There are shops going in under the Freedom Tower, a subway station, and passageways leading to the rest of the WTC site. While doing all that, they have to be mindful of security. The concrete being used in the Freedom Tower construction is the strongest in New York, and possibly stronger than in any other supertall skyscraper being built in the world. In fact, they had to remove some of the newly poured concrete off the foundations during the beginning of the project, because it did not meet stress tests; then repour that section again. That took up about a month worth of time.
Onn no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu