daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 16th, 2009, 11:40 PM   #8341
RKOwens

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Guy View Post
Wut? I'll be close to 50! And I'm still a teen...

I would have been surprised if they'd said 2020-2025... But 2037!?
First things first, these articles which came out today (there are a few of them) aren't saying that the buildings wouldn't be built until 2037, they're saying that one building (Tower 3) wouldn't be fully occupied until 2037. WTC7 was built and opened in May 2006 and it still isn't fully occupied. To tourists and NYC building buffs, who cares? The building still exists, and even if the new WTC towers won't be fully occupied until years after they open, so what, they will still be built. Having said that, the report is BS. It's assuming the buildings won't be built until the economy recovers and that the economy won't recover for decades. This recession is bad, but it'll be over probably in a year or two. Also, again, the report only says that Tower 2 and 3 wouldn't be fully occupied until the 2020's and 2030's. The memorial, Freedom Tower, and Tower 4, and the transportation hub will be open no matter what on schedule. Also, I don't see how the economy would affect the Performing Arts Center, since it has nothing to do with demand for office space. Of course, Tower 7 is already done. So even if Towers 2, 3, and 5 face major delays, you'd still have over half the site done by 2014.

Lastly, remember that the Twin Towers opened in 1973, but the Marriot Hotel wasn't built until quite a few years later. WTC7 didn't open until about fifteen years later. So, even if it takes a few years longer for some buildings to be built, you'd still have a thriving World Trade Center site in 2014.
RKOwens no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 17th, 2009, 12:12 AM   #8342
Rockmont

Likes (Received): 29

Well then I wish, whoever these idiots are, reporting this erroneous misinformation would, just get their damn stories straight. Each time I saw a report, it was to the affect, that they would not be finished until the 2030s. Is it a wonder, why there are so many false rumours running loose?! I know that the #1 tower won't be denied no matter what, but still, whoever is accountable for this misinformation needs to be better informed.
Rockmont no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2009, 12:34 AM   #8343
meh_cd

Likes (Received): 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKOwens View Post
First things first, these articles which came out today (there are a few of them) aren't saying that the buildings wouldn't be built until 2037, they're saying that one building (Tower 3) wouldn't be fully occupied until 2037. WTC7 was built and opened in May 2006 and it still isn't fully occupied. To tourists and NYC building buffs, who cares? The building still exists, and even if the new WTC towers won't be fully occupied until years after they open, so what, they will still be built. Having said that, the report is BS. It's assuming the buildings won't be built until the economy recovers and that the economy won't recover for decades. This recession is bad, but it'll be over probably in a year or two. Also, again, the report only says that Tower 2 and 3 wouldn't be fully occupied until the 2020's and 2030's. The memorial, Freedom Tower, and Tower 4, and the transportation hub will be open no matter what on schedule. Also, I don't see how the economy would affect the Performing Arts Center, since it has nothing to do with demand for office space. Of course, Tower 7 is already done. So even if Towers 2, 3, and 5 face major delays, you'd still have over half the site done by 2014.

Lastly, remember that the Twin Towers opened in 1973, but the Marriot Hotel wasn't built until quite a few years later. WTC7 didn't open until about fifteen years later. So, even if it takes a few years longer for some buildings to be built, you'd still have a thriving World Trade Center site in 2014.
I agree with most of what you said, but the original WTC only existed in its' completed form (the two towers finished) for about thirty years. Now these people are talking about not finishing rebuilding for thirty six/seven years. That's longer than the time period during which the towers themselves actually stood. It's ridiculous.
meh_cd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2009, 01:27 AM   #8344
RKOwens

This story only has any legitimacy if you believe the current economic crisis will still be around 30 years from now (which would be longer than the Great Depression). If it is, then the rebuilding of the World Trade Center would be the least of anyone's concerns. New York City will have turned into a lawless society similar to the one in Escape from New York.

Again, recessions don't last 30 years (not even depressions). Many are saying that we've already hit the bottom in this recession. Others say we'll hit the bottom and start growing again at the end of 2009.
Old April 17th, 2009, 02:11 AM   #8345
Zensteeldude

Likes (Received): 11

According to a reliable source the south crane is scheduled to be jumped this weekend and removing the Vesey St. overhang has begun.
Zensteeldude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2009, 02:18 AM   #8346
Zollern

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmont View Post
Well then I wish, whoever these idiots are, reporting this erroneous misinformation would, just get their damn stories straight.
It's a case of doom and gloom journalists projecting worst-case scenarios two or three decades hence. They know they won't be held accountable for what they write because no-one will remember it, or care. Who can possibly predict what the New York prime grade office market or vacancy rate will be 20 or 30 years from now? Take no notice of the doomsayers, economic downturns come and go.
Zollern no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2009, 03:13 AM   #8347
RKOwens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zensteeldude View Post
According to a reliable source the south crane is scheduled to be jumped this weekend and removing the Vesey St. overhang has begun.
Well, even though this means the south crane will be towering even HIGHER above the north crane, hopefully this means that they can continue installing steel on the southern half of the core. Would that be a correct assumption, Zen? Great news about the overhang!

BTW Zen, I meant to ask you this some posts back when you were talking about a stairwell corridor on B1, but do you know how many stairwells there will be in WTC1? I know there will be four in the base, at each corner, but what about further up the building?
Old April 17th, 2009, 04:06 AM   #8348
meh_cd

Likes (Received): 123

Quote:
This story only has any legitimacy if you believe the current economic crisis will still be around 30 years from now (which would be longer than the Great Depression). If it is, then the rebuilding of the World Trade Center would be the least of anyone's concerns. New York City will have turned into a lawless society similar to the one in Escape from New York.

Again, recessions don't last 30 years (not even depressions). Many are saying that we've already hit the bottom in this recession. Others say we'll hit the bottom and start growing again at the end of 2009.
Don't tell that to me, tell that to the PA.
meh_cd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2009, 04:17 AM   #8349
hellrazor650

Likes (Received): 10

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090416/..._redevelopment

all i can say F***
hellrazor650 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2009, 04:22 AM   #8350
Ganis
BANNED

Likes (Received): 24

we should make a new rule that you only post photo updates so we can get rid of alllllllllllllll these long winded debates no one really reads.
Ganis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2009, 07:29 AM   #8351
Northerly

It's just a media beat up - bad news sells so they just sensationalise stuff. If you believed everything you read in the press about the GFC the world will be almost at an end by late 2009!
Northerly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2009, 08:22 AM   #8352
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zensteeldude View Post
not possible
webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2009, 08:27 AM   #8353
VRS

Likes (Received): 11521

1776...??? the year of America independence...???
VRS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2009, 12:37 PM   #8354
Jude12
Architecture Student

Likes (Received): 43

Uh yeah?

USTArchitecture
Jude12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2009, 08:52 PM   #8355
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

Some dumb ass in wikipedia has change the opening date for this building to 10 years from now. I'm getting sick of these stupid people who go around change articals because they believe everything they hear. Chris Ward should be fire from PA for waiting to put tower 2 on hold for 20 years. I'm getting sick of the BS going around, I'm going to take a break from it.
Old April 17th, 2009, 09:28 PM   #8356
RKOwens

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_cd View Post
Don't tell that to me, tell that to the PA.
The PA has no say concerning Towers 2 and 3 (or, very little say). Silverstein is the one you should be listening to, and he says the towers will face no delays, much less a 30 year delay.

(Sure, Silverstein may just be sugar-coating things, but even if there is a delay I don't think it will be major.)
Old April 17th, 2009, 09:46 PM   #8357
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 611

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhalsey View Post
Great crystalline structure but nothing could replace the sombre glory of the original WTC towers.
I agree 100%.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2009, 11:50 PM   #8358
deez

Likes (Received): 2

was down there yesterday and saw great progress...yep, i saw the south tower crane moving around some vital equipment....the port-a-potties. a nice section of 4 of them attached together. it took a good 20 minutes to move them around. outstanding. i couldn't take any more excitement and left.
deez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2009, 12:29 AM   #8359
Zensteeldude

Quote:
Well, even though this means the south crane will be towering even HIGHER above the north crane, hopefully this means that they can continue installing steel on the southern half of the core. Would that be a correct assumption, Zen? Great news about the overhang!

BTW Zen, I meant to ask you this some posts back when you were talking about a stairwell corridor on B1, but do you know how many stairwells there will be in WTC1? I know there will be four in the base, at each corner, but what about further up the building?
If in fact they actually are jumping the crane the only reason I can think of is to put up more erecting steel.

There well be 3 stairs, 2 are extra wide (almost 6 feet) and one is a bit narrower. The narrower one is strictly for firemen. There is also a freight elevator equipped for operation during a fire, again, for firemen to use in the event of a fire or other emergency.

The second floor is the "transfer floor" where the 2 main stairs (A&B)are connected to the 4 corner stairs (D,E,F&G).
Old April 18th, 2009, 12:33 AM   #8360
Zensteeldude

Quote:
Originally Posted by webeagle12 View Post
not possible
That was my first thought about jumping the crane this weekend. Then I got to thinking about it.

I came up with 2 possibilities, 1) they are going to add sections ot the tower (I think they can because the tower is not at it's full unbraced height) or 2) They are going to put in a base somewhere on the erecting steel then jack the tower up to it.

Another possibility is they are going to brace the tower to the erecting steel and add sections.

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center