daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 18th, 2009, 01:03 AM   #8361
meh_cd

Likes (Received): 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKOwens View Post
The PA has no say concerning Towers 2 and 3 (or, very little say). Silverstein is the one you should be listening to, and he says the towers will face no delays, much less a 30 year delay.

(Sure, Silverstein may just be sugar-coating things, but even if there is a delay I don't think it will be major.)
I know about the intricacies of the site. If Silverstein has no financing and the PA does not want to work with him AND the economy is slow to recover then the buildings will be in trouble. Time will tell. If the Port Authority wasn't acting so childish about things it wouldn't be an issue.
meh_cd no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 18th, 2009, 01:42 AM   #8362
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5173

I don't want to defend the PA, but I can understand their lack of desire to loan Silverstein ~$5 billion to build 2 and 3WTC with no tenants lined up at all. It's a big risk for them. There already being "forced" to pay premium rent in 4WTC as is. Silverstein has little equity in the site, and ton$ of upside. Unfortunately there is a lack of desire by the public and government to shelve out even more billion$ of dollars to billioniares so they can become even bigger billionaires.

I hope the two sides can come to an understanding soon. My bet is Larry will just have to suck it up and hold off on 2 and 3, build the underground and above ground retail and hope things will work out in the future with building the rest of his towers.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2009, 02:20 AM   #8363
jwalas

North core ,April 17.

jwalas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2009, 05:59 AM   #8364
RKOwens

Likes (Received): 0

It appears that a few of the 40-foot perimeter columns that Zen talked about a few days ago have arrived on the site! If you look at the earthcam webcam at around 6:30 today, you see several columns being laid flat on Vesey Street, and also notice how both cranes are being used to move them, indicating that they are too heavy to move with one crane... and thus, must be the huge 40-foot columns!
Old April 18th, 2009, 06:12 AM   #8365
RKOwens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zensteeldude View Post
If in fact they actually are jumping the crane the only reason I can think of is to put up more erecting steel.

There well be 3 stairs, 2 are extra wide (almost 6 feet) and one is a bit narrower. The narrower one is strictly for firemen. There is also a freight elevator equipped for operation during a fire, again, for firemen to use in the event of a fire or other emergency.
You've got to be kidding. As great as the original Twin Towers were, one of their biggest flaws was that they only had three stairwells. Immediately after 9/11, there were calls for all skyscrapers to have more stairwells. Now you're saying that the new One World Trade Center will actually have LESS, just two civilian stairwells? What are they thinking? I understand the building has less square feet and therefore less people who will be working at any given time, but two stairwells is just unbelievable.

Quote:
The second floor is the "transfer floor" where the 2 main stairs (A&B)are connected to the 4 corner stairs (D,E,F&G).
Ah, now I understand why the blast wall surrounds the second floor as well, instead of just the lobby.
Old April 18th, 2009, 07:48 AM   #8366
ramvid01

Likes (Received): 68

Wow, they are really hauling ass on the north core. A lot of rebar has been laid in the last week.
ramvid01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2009, 10:18 AM   #8367
Basincreek
Contrary Lite

Likes (Received): 59

I believe the new 1WTC will have wider stairwells that will actually allow for faster egress than the old ones.
Basincreek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2009, 11:18 AM   #8368
Buyckske Ruben

Likes (Received): 214

Is this treu or a fat lie!!!

New World Trade Center not finished until 2037.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2009...r_911__pa.html
Buyckske Ruben no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2009, 11:26 AM   #8369
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

I think it is, already mentioned before as well.

Can't imagine how old I'll be by then, maybe not even walking on the face of this planet by then...

독일의 막가파 두목이름은? 칼막 휘둘러
일본에서 가장 유명한 구두쇠 수도국장 이름은? 무라까와 쓰지마
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2009, 03:01 PM   #8370
kenersej
I love New York!

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buyckske Ruben View Post
Is this treu or a fat lie!!!

New World Trade Center not finished until 2037.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2009...r_911__pa.html

Thats Bull Shit, evenn though i read it on www.wtc.com
i still don't belive it.

But it's not the WHOLE complex there wont be finished according to thhe scources, it's one of the towers, 3 i think.

PLEASE SILVERSTIEN P. AND P.A. BUILT BUILT BUILT!!!!!
kenersej no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2009, 05:25 PM   #8371
wap-190

Likes (Received): 54

It seems the crane on the south core is really moving up ...
wap-190 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2009, 05:36 PM   #8372
unlinked
Friends, Romans and ...

Likes (Received): 11

South crane making its jump today

Red support structure now visible within south core steel work
unlinked no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2009, 06:45 PM   #8373
RKOwens

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlinked View Post
South crane making its jump today

Red support structure now visible within south core steel work
Yep. Looks like our man Zen was right, again.

Quote:
I believe the new 1WTC will have wider stairwells that will actually allow for faster egress than the old ones.
They will be, but real safety demands a greater NUMBER of stairwells spaced far apart so that in case, god forbid, another plane did crash into the building, regardless of where it hit there would still be one or two stairwells available. If there are only two, it's possible that both could be taken out. In that case, it wouldn't make a bit of difference how wide they were. They wouldn't exist. Well, I guess if this did happen, they could always use the firemen's stairwell as a backup. Still, I would have liked to have seen 4 stairwells, each at the extreme far corners of the core.

Remember me complaining some weeks back about how the museum will have TOO MANY stairwells? Well, the Freedom Tower will have NOT ENOUGH. I honestly don't see how you can have 7 staiwells in a museum which will only have a few hundred people in it at any time, and then have only 2 stairwells in a building which is at a far greater risk of being a target and will have upwards of about 30,000-40,000 people in it at any given time.

Last edited by RKOwens; April 18th, 2009 at 06:57 PM.
RKOwens no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2009, 08:12 PM   #8374
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
I honestly don't see how you can have 7 staiwells in a museum which will only have a few hundred people in it at any time, and then have only 2 stairwells in a building which is at a far greater risk of being a target and will have upwards of about 30,000-40,000 people in it at any given time.
While your argument is quite valid for several reasons the reason the museum has 7 staiwells is probably because of building codes. Codes require a certain maximum distance from any point in the building to a "secure" stairwell or exit. Because the surface area of each floor of FT is quite small im sure that the 2 being provided easily me the code. On the other hand the museum covers a huge area and thus requires more means of egress.
Old April 18th, 2009, 09:48 PM   #8375
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

Lol, I thought I was dreaming for a second after looking at the WTC HD cam. If you guys don't know what I'm talking about, take a look.

It the tower crane base has been jumped all the way up to the top of the steel. So basically the base of the tower crane is 100 feet tall. The crane might be visible in the skyline from some distance now.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2009, 09:51 PM   #8376
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 240

I think it is mistake to postpone to 2037. I think all towers should be built within few years from now. I know that one day we will have another economic boom and it will fill all towers up. I personally think politicians who are involved WTC project are playing game with us.
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2009, 09:53 PM   #8377
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyAboutCities View Post
I think it is mistake to postpone to 2037. I think all towers should be built within few years from now. I know that one day we will have another economic boom and it will fill all towers up. I personally think politicians who are involved WTC project are playing game with us.
it's not up to them to decided whether it will get build or not
webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2009, 09:53 PM   #8378
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5173

It sure looks fragile way up on the top of that steel framing! Obviously though, it's well secured.

I hope we'll see more steel added to the top of the south core.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2009, 10:56 PM   #8379
Zensteeldude

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
It appears that a few of the 40-foot perimeter columns that Zen talked about a few days ago have arrived on the site! If you look at the earthcam webcam at around 6:30 today, you see several columns being laid flat on Vesey Street, and also notice how both cranes are being used to move them, indicating that they are too heavy to move with one crane... and thus, must be the huge 40-foot columns!
They are heavy, but not the 48 foot sections I was talking about the other day. Those are two 35 foot sections for the north side. I'm guessing they are going to lower them through the holes in Vesey St. either today or Sunday. They well bring the hight above street level.

Last edited by Zensteeldude; April 18th, 2009 at 11:20 PM.
Zensteeldude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2009, 11:07 PM   #8380
twilight_2008

Likes (Received): 1

Anyone know what happens when the North Core has caught up to the same level as the south one. Will the tower actually start rising then?
twilight_2008 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center