daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 3rd, 2009, 12:04 PM   #8541
CroydonDave

Likes (Received): 0

Just visited your wonderful City and hope to go back soon. This Tower is truely world class, can't wait to see it completed.
CroydonDave no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 3rd, 2009, 01:48 PM   #8542
Taller & Taller
AKA Whynottaller

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker2009 View Post
I believe the Twin Towers were 1,368 feet and 1,362 feet measured from Street level not the plaza. One World Trade Center will be 1,776 feet above street level.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zensteeldude View Post
<Zen gets out the prints and takes a look, does some calculations and begins to type>

Tower One is 1,368 feet high from the finished first floor (elevation 311' 2") to the top of the parapet (elevation 1,679' 2"). The communications mast (or whatever is going to go on top) brings it to 1,776 feet.
And do you know what was the total height of the whole former twin towers' structure? I mean, do you know how far was the street level from the bedrock (I suppose it's the same with this tower, the Freedom Tower)?
Taller & Taller no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2009, 02:40 PM   #8543
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 450

Is freedom tower will have only 2 tower cranes?

I think 3rd crane was planned too isnt?
webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2009, 03:10 PM   #8544
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by webeagle12 View Post
Is freedom tower will have only 2 tower cranes?
I think 3rd crane was planned too isnt?
I believe I read originally then there are supposed to be 4 tower cranes when full construction began.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 08:09 PM   #8545
Zensteeldude

Likes (Received): 11

The site plans call for 2 more cranes to be added to the north and south sides of the tower some time after all the ground floor and plaza slabs are in place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taller & Taller View Post
And do you know what was the total height of the whole former twin towers' structure? I mean, do you know how far was the street level from the bedrock (I suppose it's the same with this tower, the Freedom Tower)?
The server crash last night prevented me from adding to my last post.

The bottom floor B4 is at 240 feet, or 71 feet below the first floor. The foundations go 4 to 12 feet deeper, then there are the rock anchors that go 80 feet below the top of the foundations.

So, from the lowest basement level to the top of the parapet is 1,439 feet.
Measured from the bottom ends of the rock anchors to the top of the spire Tower One is 1,927 feet.

From what information I have (the prints for the Memorial) the Twin Towers went just as deep give or take a foot or two.

Last edited by Zensteeldude; May 3rd, 2009 at 08:15 PM.
Zensteeldude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2009, 08:32 PM   #8546
RKOwens

Quote:
Originally Posted by germantower View Post
BS, you cannot build a structure that withstands multiple airplane crashes. The architect from WTC 7 e.g. has designed it that it can stand 12h after a plane has made major structural damages to it.So habitants have enough time to escape.Its virtually impossible to construct anything that can 100% withstand a single airplane crash, not to mention a multiple! We should care about what exactely we say here and not speak out exxagarated speculations and things we dont know for sure.
Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if the towers were able to withstand multiple impacts. The 767s only removed about 15% of the core and exterior columns of the towers on 9/11, so even they probably could have withstood more impacts, and the new WTC1 is designed specifically to be stronger than the original towers. So withstanding more than one plane crash wouldn't be a surprise and certainly isn't an exagerated speculation. The reason the towers collapsed on 9/11 was from the fires, not simply damage from the plane impacts.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 09:01 PM   #8547
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1079

They need to install AA guns around the hudson river. Seriously.
Uaarkson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2009, 09:31 PM   #8548
Metalus

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uaarkson View Post
They need to install AA guns around the hudson river. Seriously.
Lol, yeah build it out of popsicle sticks and stick a missile battery on the roof, save a few hundred million on material costs. : p
Metalus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2009, 01:38 AM   #8549
metsfan
Photographer

Likes (Received): 42

I'll try to get some more photos when i'm chillin with my friend on tues.

If it's raining the concrete might be on hold, but i'll try to get some new angles.

- A
Old May 4th, 2009, 01:49 AM   #8550
Onn
BANNED

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by metsfan View Post
I'll try to get some more photos when i'm chillin with my friend on tues.

If it's raining the concrete might be on hold, but i'll try to get some new angles.

- A
Actually, they seem to like to pour concrete on days when it's raining out.
Onn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2009, 09:24 AM   #8551
SA BOY
South Straddie QLD

Likes (Received): 471

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker2009 View Post
I believe the Twin Towers were 1,368 feet and 1,362 feet measured from Street level not the plaza. One World Trade Center will be 1,776 feet above street level.
Typically buildings are measured from the street level that the main building entrance is situated on ie where the buildings adress is situated. many buildings have service or side rds that may be lower but dont count
Old May 4th, 2009, 09:40 PM   #8552
Marlon Flores
Espectador Urbano

Likes (Received): 2917

what is the last design....i dont understand very well I see a lot of renders?

EL SALVADOR.
¡Más que interesante, la tierra donde todo lo puedes encontrar!
America Central.
¡Visíta la Galería de San Salvador!

Fan page facebook:
El Salvador Unique / Marlon Flores Gallery.
Marlon Flores no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2009, 09:55 PM   #8553
Viperfreak2
BANNED

Likes (Received): 48

I hope there are plans for a defense system. They will probably remain secret, however. On a bus tour of the Hoover dam, the tour guide said look up at the top of those hills. If he hadn't told us, I would never know.
Viperfreak2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2009, 10:01 PM   #8554
RKOwens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon Flores View Post
what is the last design....i dont understand very well I see a lot of renders?
THIS IS THE TOWER THAT IS BEING BUILT:

THIS IS ONE OF MANY EARLY RENDERINGS, WHICH IS NOT BEING BUILT:

Old May 4th, 2009, 11:29 PM   #8555
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

waste of bloody space.. and I think that first pic is the old one init? because the round ring at the base of the spire is modified from that.

독일의 막가파 두목이름은? 칼막 휘둘러
일본에서 가장 유명한 구두쇠 수도국장 이름은? 무라까와 쓰지마
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2009, 11:52 PM   #8556
Zensteeldude

Likes (Received): 11

The first rendering in RKOwens post is the latest rendering, it also matches the prints.

With the MTVA deal officially dead the communications rings and mast are probably going to change.

One of the things that struck me about the communications mast is that the guy wires are 6 inch diameter Kevlar.

Last edited by Zensteeldude; May 5th, 2009 at 12:24 AM.
Zensteeldude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2009, 03:26 AM   #8557
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5174

A new quarterly report (1Q2009) was just released on wtcprogress.com.

The second quarter milestones for 1WTC are,

Complete North Core Shearwall to B1:
Complete placement of reinforcing steel and high strength concrete for the North Core of One World Trade Center to bring it up to the B-1 level – the last level before grade.

South Core Crane Jump: (*this appears to have already been met)
This represents the movement of the southern tower crane from the supports within the South Core to the erection steel above the core. This movement will facilitate continued erection of the southern core. The South Core Crane has already made one previous jump.

Finish Concrete Placement on the #2 – Auxiliary Shear Wall:
This will enable the start of the slab work to be located at street level, which will facilitate vehicle and equipment access to support the above-grade construction.

Complete First Three Sections of Cutback of the Vesey Street Deck:
Removal of these pieces of Vesey Street north of the One World Trade Center site will allow the installation to continue on the remainder of the building’s exterior columns and completion of basement deck construction in that area. This area of Vesey Street is already inside the fenced-off area and will not affect pedestrian movements.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2009, 03:35 AM   #8558
RKOwens

Quote:
The first rendering in RKOwens post is the latest rendering, it also matches the prints.

With the MTVA deal officially dead the communications rings and mast are probably going to change.

One of the things that struck me about the communications mast is that the guy wires are 6 inch diameter Kevlar.
I'm hoping that the ring does change. I like this look way, way better:

By the way, Zen, do you know if they're still planning on having that rain-catching idea incorporated into the roof design somehow? How would that work? I though the circular ring was supposed to be what caught the water.

Also, in the past two minutes I just saw David Shuster (he's guest hosing Countdown) claim three times that Condaleeza Rice claimed the other day that the Twin Towers were 80 stories tall. In fact, I remember her speech about this the other day and she said that she was horrified by the videos of people jumping out from the 80th floor. In the South Tower at least, I'm sure there were people jumping from the 80th floor. She never said the towers were 80 stories. No big deal, just this guy seems to deliberately lie sometimes.
Old May 5th, 2009, 03:38 AM   #8559
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
6 inch Kevlar? Where in the world did you see that or better yet why in the world would somebody consider that. That sounds like a ridiculous decision.
Old May 5th, 2009, 03:53 AM   #8560
RKOwens

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre000 View Post
A new quarterly report (1Q2009) was just released on wtcprogress.com.

The second quarter milestones for 1WTC are,

Complete North Core Shearwall to B1:
Complete placement of reinforcing steel and high strength concrete for the North Core of One World Trade Center to bring it up to the B-1 level – the last level before grade.

South Core Crane Jump: (*this appears to have already been met)
This represents the movement of the southern tower crane from the supports within the South Core to the erection steel above the core. This movement will facilitate continued erection of the southern core. The South Core Crane has already made one previous jump.

Finish Concrete Placement on the #2 – Auxiliary Shear Wall:
This will enable the start of the slab work to be located at street level, which will facilitate vehicle and equipment access to support the above-grade construction.

Complete First Three Sections of Cutback of the Vesey Street Deck:
Removal of these pieces of Vesey Street north of the One World Trade Center site will allow the installation to continue on the remainder of the building’s exterior columns and completion of basement deck construction in that area. This area of Vesey Street is already inside the fenced-off area and will not affect pedestrian movements.
Is anyone else able to read the "6 month look ahead" graphic in the report? The text is really small, and when I zoom in on the PDF it's just WAY too blurry to make out a single word.

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center