daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 5th, 2009, 04:22 AM   #8561
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5171

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKOwens View Post
Is anyone else able to read the "6 month look ahead" graphic in the report? The text is really small, and when I zoom in on the PDF it's just WAY too blurry to make out a single word.
I'd like to be able to read it as well. There was also a lot of information about the steel erection schedule for the memorial included in the report. Anyone who can provide a breakdown of the "Sectors" mentioned in the report would be appreciated as well.

spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 5th, 2009, 04:37 AM   #8562
Nomadd22

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zensteeldude View Post

One of the things that struck me about the communications mast is that the guy wires are 6 inch diameter Kevlar.
Of course, there are different types of Kevlar fiber and different ways of weaving them, but a 6 inch cable would be rated at something like 1500 tons with about a 6,000 ton breaking point. Seems a little excessive for guy wires on a 400 foot tall mast.
Nomadd22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2009, 05:07 AM   #8563
Zensteeldude

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell View Post
6 inch Kevlar? Where in the world did you see that or better yet why in the world would somebody consider that. That sounds like a ridiculous decision.
I guess you are hard of reading, so I well repeat slowly, I have a full set of prints for Tower One.

Last edited by Zensteeldude; May 5th, 2009 at 05:17 AM.
Zensteeldude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2009, 05:10 AM   #8564
Zensteeldude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadd22 View Post
Of course, there are different types of Kevlar fiber and different ways of weaving them, but a 6 inch cable would be rated at something like 1500 tons with about a 6,000 ton breaking point. Seems a little excessive for guy wires on a 400 foot tall mast.
When you consider that the mast weighs over 400 tons (a little less than 1 ton per foot of height) and must withstand 130+ mph winds, it's not so incredible. The mast is 442 feet tall, it sits on top of the core at roof level.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3512479[email protected]/3502460973/

Last edited by Zensteeldude; May 5th, 2009 at 05:43 AM.
Old May 5th, 2009, 05:21 AM   #8565
Zensteeldude

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKOwens View Post
I'm hoping that the ring does change. I like this look way, way better:

By the way, Zen, do you know if they're still planning on having that rain-catching idea incorporated into the roof design somehow? How would that work? I though the circular ring was supposed to be what caught the water.

Also, in the past two minutes I just saw David Shuster (he's guest hosing Countdown) claim three times that Condaleeza Rice claimed the other day that the Twin Towers were 80 stories tall. In fact, I remember her speech about this the other day and she said that she was horrified by the videos of people jumping out from the 80th floor. In the South Tower at least, I'm sure there were people jumping from the 80th floor. She never said the towers were 80 stories. No big deal, just this guy seems to deliberately lie sometimes.
I wouldn't believe Condaleeza Rice (or David Shuster) if she told me ice was cold.

The roof is sloped toward drains as in a normal roof, but the drains go to collection tanks in the basement.
Old May 5th, 2009, 09:21 AM   #8566
choyak

Likes (Received): 19

I wonder what the spire will be enclosed in. Will it be similar to the Trump in Chicago tower spire?
choyak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2009, 02:22 PM   #8567
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
I guess you Are hard of reading, so I well repeat slowly, I have a full set of prints for Tower One.
You'd notice I went on to say why would they consider that! That sounds like a very ridiculous solution. Yes Kevlar is stronger per pound than steel but not stronger on a volumetric basis and it's certainly more expensive. It definitely doesn't sound like a smart solution in this case.
Old May 5th, 2009, 02:49 PM   #8568
Nomadd22

Quote:
When you consider that the mast weighs over 400 tons (a little less than 1 ton per foot of height) and must withstand 130+ mph winds, it's not so incredible. The mast is 442 feet tall, it sits on top of the core at roof level.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/3502460973/
I guess I didn't realize how much acceleration the top of the building is built for. As low as the cables are attached, the leverage exerted on them from a 777 hitting the tower near the top would put some pretty hellacious strain on the guys. I wouldn't have expected the spire to weigh that much either. I'm used to putting up Rohn 65 towers that would only weigh about 5 tons for that size.
Old May 5th, 2009, 05:09 PM   #8569
Stephanie-kun
BANNED

Likes (Received): 27

Any progress on the building site?
Stephanie-kun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2009, 05:37 PM   #8570
kanye
WDNF-Mod | RIP desertpunk

Likes (Received): 8514

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie-kun View Post
Any progress on the building site?
http://www.earthcam.net/users2/inter...2&clientid=158
kanye no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2009, 07:55 PM   #8571
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 240990

From earthcam i see that in the south core the crane rise up again...
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 02:40 AM   #8572
Zensteeldude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell View Post
You'd notice I went on to say why would they consider that! That sounds like a very ridiculous solution. Yes Kevlar is stronger per pound than steel but not stronger on a volumetric basis and it's certainly more expensive. It definitely doesn't sound like a smart solution in this case.
I can only guess that the engineers decided that four expensive Kevlar cables would be more compact and in keeping with the architectural design. As I said, I was surprised they went with Kevlar rather than the new high strength steel cables.
Old May 6th, 2009, 02:44 AM   #8573
Zensteeldude

Quote:
I guess I didn't realize how much acceleration the top of the building is built for. As low as the cables are attached, the leverage exerted on them from a 777 hitting the tower near the top would put some pretty hellacious strain on the guys. I wouldn't have expected the spire to weigh that much either. I'm used to putting up Rohn 65 towers that would only weigh about 5 tons for that size.
Personally, I think designing anything today with a 9/11 style attack in mind is "Fighting the Last War" so to speak. If they ever do hit us again, it well most likely not be with our own airplanes.
Old May 6th, 2009, 03:18 AM   #8574
Nomadd22

I don't think Kevlar is much more compact than steel. It's much stronger by weight, but about the same by size. I'd bet the lower weight would be the reason to go with it.
The mass of steel cables that strong could create problems by itself.
Any chance they aren't pure Kevlar? I know some oil companies have been using Kevlar tubes filled with whatever substance gives them the flexibility and resonance characteristics they want for long underwater runs where they don't want the weight of steel.

I never looked that close at the spire before. Using the advanced high tech scientific method of holding a toothpick up to the picture, it looks something like 14 feet wide at the base. Maybe it would be the equipment enclosure for whatever gear the antennas would use?
I'd give a months pay to service the top beacon just for the chance to sit on top the spire (not too pointy I hope) and cast my gaze upon The City.

Last edited by Nomadd22; May 6th, 2009 at 03:51 AM.
Old May 6th, 2009, 06:32 AM   #8575
Fury
Proudly Canadian

Likes (Received): 350

Quote:
I guess you are hard of reading, so I well repeat slowly, I have a full set of prints for Tower One.
You should share ...

Old May 6th, 2009, 03:45 PM   #8576
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
Maybe it would be the equipment enclosure for whatever gear the antennas would use?
The latest information is that the deal for using the structure as an antenna has fallen through and now it's strictly a spire! That make change again in the future but right now no equipment will be inside of the spire.
Old May 6th, 2009, 08:19 PM   #8577
jhalsey

Likes (Received): 182

There are other carbon fibre composites around lighter and stronger than steel or kevlar.
jhalsey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 09:20 PM   #8578
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 283

I'm gonna go NYC in sept...so I'm excited to see all the work that has been done!

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 09:56 PM   #8579
ScraperNerd

Likes (Received): 0

So after all the set backs and time line changes, what's a realistic schedule for WTC1 now? I see the north core is slowly rising, when will the steel start to rise as well?
ScraperNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 10:06 PM   #8580
Viperfreak2
BANNED

Likes (Received): 48

Earthcam now looks like it shows the north core forms are open, hopefully about to rise. From that angle it appears they will be only one level below the south core! Any 'from the ground' pictures would be highly appreciated.
Viperfreak2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center