daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 6th, 2009, 11:35 PM   #8581
Nomadd22

Likes (Received): 1

Seems like a set of BD drawings would be a fair trade for the FT plans. I wonder if they'll steal a trick and jack the WTC1 spire up from inside the building.
How high will the concrete core go anyhow?
Nomadd22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 7th, 2009, 12:05 AM   #8582
RKOwens

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperfreak2 View Post
Earthcam now looks like it shows the north core forms are open, hopefully about to rise. From that angle it appears they will be only one level below the south core! Any 'from the ground' pictures would be highly appreciated.
wtc.com has finally given us its "update of the month", so to speak, with plenty of great new pictures of 1WTC, 4WTC, the memorial, and the overall site. This is my favorite, below. You can really see the progress on the west side of 1WTC, a view we so rarely get to see. Check out the site for a higher res photo. Also remember that this pic was taken on May 1st. Already since then, a portion of the north core (the side on the east) has jumped another level.

image hosted on flickr
Old May 7th, 2009, 12:36 AM   #8583
GrigorisSokratis

Likes (Received): 11

I still remember this design and never liked it. Fortunately they went with the current one, which happens to be my favorite.

Quote:
The latest information is that the deal for using the structure as an antenna has fallen through and now it's strictly a spire! That make change again in the future but right now no equipment will be inside of the spire.
So what's the point of a spire, just to reach the 1,776ft goal? Anyway the taller the better to me. But looks like they're dumping a lot of money just for the sake of height.
GrigorisSokratis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2009, 01:52 AM   #8584
RKOwens

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigorisSokratis View Post
So what's the point of a spire, just to reach the 1,776ft goal? Anyway the taller the better to me. But looks like they're dumping a lot of money just for the sake of height.
The point of it is for style/aesthetics. A lot of buildings have spires on them, which serve no functional purpose, but make the building look a lot better... like the Chrysler Building or the Empire State Building. Also, remember that the original One World Trade Center had a spire/antenna on top. This building would look completely different and hideous without a spire. I can't even imagine what it would look like. Oh wait, yes I can...

image hosted on flickr

BTW, Zen, do you happen to know what the stretch of Vesey Street between WTC1 and the Verizon Building will be like? Do you know how many lanes the road will be, and will there be a place outside the north entrance of WTC1 for cars to pull into and stop? Seems like there's not much room between the two buildings.
Old May 7th, 2009, 01:59 AM   #8585
jwalas

jwalas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2009, 02:15 AM   #8586
Rockmont

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKOwens View Post
The point of it is for style/aesthetics. A lot of buildings have spires on them, which serve no functional purpose, but make the building look a lot better... like the Chrysler Building or the Empire State Building. Also, remember that the original One World Trade Center had a spire/antenna on top. This building would look completely different and hideous without a spire. I can't even imagine what it would look like. Oh wait, yes I can...

image hosted on flickr

BTW, Zen, do you happen to know what the stretch of Vesey Street between WTC1 and the Verizon Building will be like? Do you know how many lanes the road will be, and will there be a place outside the north entrance of WTC1 for cars to pull into and stop? Seems like there's not much room between the two buildings.

I kind of like the way it looks without the spire, now I've seen a shot of it. It won't be 1776 feet tall, but it'll still be the same height as the originals.
Rockmont no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2009, 02:28 AM   #8587
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5171

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmont View Post
I kind of like the way it looks without the spire, now I've seen a shot of it. It won't be 1776 feet tall, but it'll still be the same height as the originals.
Looks horrible without the spire!
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2009, 02:30 AM   #8588
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10143

hasnt new tower got a observation ring at base of spire? i think its very symbolic for the spire to total 1776ft ,obviouosly year or indepence. also makes a striking adtion to skyline and also makes its Americas tallest skyscraper if im not mistaken?
Old May 7th, 2009, 03:22 AM   #8589
RKOwens

Thanks, jwalas! Anyone know what that styrofoam-looking stuff is on the outside of the formworks? It doesn't seem to do anything. It just looks like it's slowly falling off overtime and none of the workers seem to care.

Yep, 1WTC will be the tallest building in America, for a while at least (Chicago Spire will be taller, whenever it gets built... it was put on hold last year because of the economic crisis). Even then, it'll remain the tallest building in New York City, which is an achievement enough. Sadly though, it probably won't have a rooftop observation deck (it'll have one indoors on the 102nd floor).
Old May 7th, 2009, 03:50 AM   #8590
Zensteeldude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
You should share ...

I share what I can, the prints come with a non-disclosure agreement.
Zensteeldude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2009, 03:54 AM   #8591
Zensteeldude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadd22 View Post
Seems like a set of BD drawings would be a fair trade for the FT plans. I wonder if they'll steal a trick and jack the WTC1 spire up from inside the building.
How high will the concrete core go anyhow?
THe core goes all the way to the base of the spire. The spire is designed in 20 foot high sections for erecting, there well be no sneeky jacking here. (If it even gets built).

Last edited by Zensteeldude; May 7th, 2009 at 04:04 AM.
Old May 7th, 2009, 03:55 AM   #8592
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:

image hosted on flickr
I personally think it looks much better without the spire! In the other examples you gave the spire is an integral part of the designing. In this building it looks like it was designed by somebody completely different and just stuck on top to get to the required height. The design looks a lot better and is certainly cheaper and more functional without it.
Old May 7th, 2009, 03:59 AM   #8593
Zensteeldude

Quote:

Going from memory there is no pull in for cars, and Vesey St. is just 2 lanes.
Old May 7th, 2009, 04:03 AM   #8594
Zensteeldude

Quote:
Thanks, jwalas! Anyone know what that styrofoam-looking stuff is on the outside of the formworks? It doesn't seem to do anything. It just looks like it's slowly falling off overtime and none of the workers seem to care.

Yep, 1WTC will be the tallest building in America, for a while at least (Chicago Spire will be taller, whenever it gets built... it was put on hold last year because of the economic crisis). Even then, it'll remain the tallest building in New York City, which is an achievement enough. Sadly though, it probably won't have a rooftop observation deck (it'll have one indoors on the 102nd floor).
The styrofoam-looking stuff is extruded sheets of styrofoam, used as insulation on the forms. Warm weather makes it kinda redundant. They also use it to make slab and wall keys in the cement.
Old May 7th, 2009, 05:18 AM   #8595
RKOwens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell View Post
I personally think it looks much better without the spire! In the other examples you gave the spire is an integral part of the designing. In this building it looks like it was designed by somebody completely different and just stuck on top to get to the required height. The design looks a lot better and is certainly cheaper and more functional without it.
It wouldn't be a World Trade Center complex without a spire. Also, the lights which will shine from the top of the spire will look great, especially on anniversaries.

Last edited by RKOwens; May 7th, 2009 at 05:27 AM.
RKOwens no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2009, 05:23 AM   #8596
Stephanie-kun
BANNED

Likes (Received): 27

MOAR DESU!
Stephanie-kun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2009, 05:52 AM   #8597
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

Yukkuri Shiteitte ne!
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2009, 06:42 AM   #8598
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
It wouldn't be a World Trade Center complex without a spire. Also, the lights which will shine from the top of the spire will look great, especially on anniversaries.
Why wouldn't it be the same building without the spire? The originals didn't have one (just an antenna) and the building so they looks a lot cleaner without it. Since they've decided to drop the name Freedom Tower that of the height of 1776' doesn't really matter any more! They can still put lights on top of the tower shining straight up like the ones they did from the old foundations for a couple of years, they looked great and would look even better from the top of the tower!
Old May 7th, 2009, 06:44 AM   #8599
Michael874

When will it complete . waiting for view it
Michael874 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2009, 07:10 AM   #8600
Onn
BANNED

Likes (Received): 173

From WTC.com

Onn no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center