daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 14th, 2009, 12:47 AM   #8661
Zensteeldude

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadd22 View Post
Because of the delay in pouring the north core walls maybe?
I found the answer, the MEP shafts on the north side have much thicker walls (one wall on the west side is 5 feet thick) so it stands to reasion that they would be easier to cast with the main core walls.
Zensteeldude no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 14th, 2009, 12:55 AM   #8662
Zensteeldude

This probably wont be the last time I have to post this but her it goes.

SILVERSTEIN IS UNDER CONTRACT TO PROVIDE 8 MILLION sq/ft OF OFFICE SPACE AT THE WTC SITE !

If he does not, he forfeits the 99 year lease he holds with the PA.

Towers 1 through 4 WELL GET BUILT as planed.

In fact the downturn should make the buildings cheaper to build (lower material costs)
Old May 14th, 2009, 02:21 AM   #8663
meh_cd

Likes (Received): 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zensteeldude View Post
This probably wont be the last time I have to post this but her it goes.

SILVERSTEIN IS UNDER CONTRACT TO PROVIDE 8 MILLION sq/ft OF OFFICE SPACE AT THE WTC SITE !

If he does not, he forfeits the 99 year lease he holds with the PA.

Towers 1 through 4 WELL GET BUILT as planed.

In fact the downturn should make the buildings cheaper to build (lower material costs)
Seems to me like this is shrewd maneuvering on the part of the PA to delay 2 and 3 long enough to kick him out of his lease. Then they can build on their own terms.

But I hope I'm wrong.
meh_cd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2009, 02:38 AM   #8664
Zensteeldude

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_cd View Post
Seems to me like this is shrewd maneuvering on the part of the PA to delay 2 and 3 long enough to kick him out of his lease. Then they can build on their own terms.

But I hope I'm wrong.
I would agree with you if not for the fact that the PA is delaying work on Towers 2 and 3 because they have not finished site work they are contracted to complete. The PA is paying Silverstein something like $10K a day (per site) for every day they delay in turning over the Towers 2 and 3 sites to him so he can start construction.

Sounds to me like the papers are hyping this stuff to sell papers.

If you study Tower 4 and the progress it has made there should be no question that Silverstein is committed to build as fast as possible.
Old May 14th, 2009, 03:02 AM   #8665
ElCrioyo
Ed.v.cas.baeZ

Likes (Received): 1671

i can actually say now that progress is visible ..i guess its because the summer is arriving and they could construct faster!!
ElCrioyo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2009, 03:03 AM   #8666
Nomadd22

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zensteeldude View Post
I would agree with you if not for the fact that the PA is delaying work on Towers 2 and 3 because they have not finished site work they are contracted to complete. The PA is paying Silverstein something like $10K a day (per site) for every day they delay in turning over the Towers 2 and 3 sites to him so he can start construction.

Sounds to me like the papers are hyping this stuff to sell papers.

If you study Tower 4 and the progress it has made there should be no question that Silverstein is committed to build as fast as possible.
Would you believe $300,000 a day?(total) Mostly to offset the $262,000 a day Larry pays in rent, but he pays the rent if the buildings are there or not, so the 300k every day is still a total loss to the PA. If you think that sounds ridiculous because they've paid a hundred times in penalties than it would have cost them to do the job and turn the sites over, you're not alone.
The claim that the PA is only trying to be financially responsible if absurd. They couldn't be more fiscally idiotic if they loaded money onto barges and dumped it into the Hudson.
Nomadd22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2009, 03:48 AM   #8667
Zensteeldude

I left a zero out of my last post, $100K a day per site. At least that is the info I have.

I think it all boils down to papers trying to sell papers. Progress this summer should tell.
Old May 14th, 2009, 01:55 PM   #8668
oli83

Likes (Received): 1000

Back to construction:
Does anybody know whether/when there will be fixed cranes installed on the memorial site?
And if so, at which position(s)?
Been wondering about this for a long time..
oli83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2009, 02:30 PM   #8669
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

From everything I've read there won't be a "tower" crane on the memorial site. Everything will be done with the mobile cranes which makes sense if you look at the designing the structure.
Old May 14th, 2009, 07:48 PM   #8670
RKOwens

Likes (Received): 0

I emailed Joe Woolhead asking him if the report about Towers 2 and 3 was true. Sadly, this is what he responded back with...

"Ryan,

Hope you're in good form...and that regards your studies too. Truly nonsense yet the real deal. A summit is in the works...

Here is a survey you could possibly forward. I think it's regrettable and laughable not to build Tower 3, the jewel among diamonds.

Joe"

By the "real deal", I think he just means that it is something being considered. This is the survey he asked me to forward:

http://mycrains.crainsnewyork.com/po...de-center.html

I think you all know what link you need to visit and what you need to vote for. Also, I emailed one of the mechanical engineers on Tower 3 directly, but haven't heard back. Will let you know what she says if/when I hear back.
Old May 14th, 2009, 07:57 PM   #8671
jhalsey

Likes (Received): 182

UK newspapers are saying some of these towers are being cut back to 5 floor "stubs" because of the credit crunch. I hope this is not true.
jhalsey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2009, 08:51 PM   #8672
Onn
BANNED

Likes (Received): 173

http://downtownexpress.com/de_315/fedup.html

Quote:
‘Fed up’ with delays, Silver says build 3rd W.T.C. tower & share the risk

...Silver offered to broker an agreement to get the project back on track, but only if the Port agrees to help Silverstein build two of his three office towers, and if Silverstein invests more money in the project. He said the New York and New Jersey governors, who share control of the Port, the mayor, W.T.C. developer Larry Silverstein and Port executive director Chris Ward should all be at the table to resolve the dispute.

Last month, the Port and Silverstein took diametrically opposed positions: Silverstein, which has responsibility for Towers 2, 3 and 4, wanted the Port to help finance Tower 2 and Tower 4, but the Port only wanted to help with Tower 4, where the Port and city have committed to lease 1.2 million square feet of space. Instead of skyscrapers, the Port planned to build short retail podiums along Church St. where Towers 2 and 3 were supposed to rise.

On Friday, Silver demanded for the first time that Silverstein and the Port find a way to build Tower 2 in addition to Tower 4. Tower 2, in the northeast corner of the site, would “complete the circle” formed by One World Trade Center, the Freedom Tower, to the west, and Tower 4 to the south, Silver said.

Silver’s call for Tower 2 put him more in Silverstein’s camp than the Port Authority’s, and he almost sounded like Larry Silverstein as he spoke optimistically of Downtown’s recovery and used Silverstein’s 7 W.T.C. as an example of building for the future.

“What we have to do is be ready for the next boom cycle in the economy,” Silver said. He later told reporters, “We can’t sit around, wait for the economy to improve and then build into what may be the next downturn …by the time we complete it.”
Onn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2009, 10:49 PM   #8673
RKOwens

I thought we could use a little lift me up. It looks like the western half (at least) of the site is starting to take shape:

image hosted on flickr
Old May 14th, 2009, 11:43 PM   #8674
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1034

starting to take shape? they haven't done anything to it in months.
Uaarkson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2009, 12:00 AM   #8675
RKOwens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uaarkson View Post
Then you haven't been paying attention. Since about February, the South Pool has taken shape, the western end of the above-ground museum has taken shape, and a huge amount of the plaza has taken shape.
Old May 15th, 2009, 12:19 AM   #8676
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

Quote:
Ok.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2009, 11:03 AM   #8677
Tag_one

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Indeed! They haven't done anything apart from installing steel beams,decking, pouring concrete, placing rebar and lifting forms and a crane. Nothing going on indeed.
Tag_one no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2009, 11:31 AM   #8678
kitayabi

Likes (Received): 351

for the last 100 years the US has consecutively held the title of beeing home to the worlds tallest building until the petronas towers broke that record,and now the US best attempt at regaining that title is a tower which is 300 meters shorter then the worlds current title holder?
kitayabi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2009, 03:14 PM   #8679
Nomadd22

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitayabi View Post
for the last 100 years the US has consecutively held the title of beeing home to the worlds tallest building until the petronas towers broke that record,and now the US best attempt at regaining that title is a tower which is 300 meters shorter then the worlds current title holder?
Take a look at the Petronas towers next to the Sears tower. Not everybody takes that claim seriously.
And nobody has ever claimed that the FT was an attempt to build the world's tallest tower. It's always been known that many taller ones were in the works.
Nomadd22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2009, 03:19 PM   #8680
ausie
BANNED

Likes (Received): 28

in the design wats happening with wtc6 cause there is designs (possibly not getting built) for the world trade centres: 1,2,3,4,5, ,7
i don't get it wat about wtc6??
ausie no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center