daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 15th, 2009, 03:33 PM   #8681
Carlo[NL]

Likes (Received): 515

Americans can't count?

Sponsored Links
Old May 15th, 2009, 03:36 PM   #8682
sundrop74
Skyscraper Aficionado

Likes (Received): 68

I understand that building plans often change and evolve as they are being implemented, but if the "finalized" plans for the WTC site are not realized, it will be a great embarrassment for this country. Given the scale of skyscraper construction going on around the world, it seems ridiculous that one of the richest cities in one of the wealthiest countries on earth can't manage a large-scale, eye-catching development that pays tribute to both our fallen and our living.
sundrop74 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2009, 04:01 PM   #8683
musefreek

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKOwens View Post
I thought we could use a little lift me up. It looks like the western half (at least) of the site is starting to take shape:

image hosted on flickr
perhaps very slightly, but overall i don't see any difference after months...

it's a tired debate...
musefreek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2009, 05:14 PM   #8684
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by musefreek View Post
perhaps very slightly, but overall i don't see any difference after months...

it's a tired debate...
You're right; perhaps there was just a little progress, but overall I can hardly see any progress at all, especially within the past few months:

Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2009, 06:54 PM   #8685
Onn
BANNED

Likes (Received): 173

There is a large concrete pour going on today, west side of the tower I believe. It’s clearly visible from the webcam.
Onn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2009, 07:57 PM   #8686
Nomadd22

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausie View Post
in the design wats happening with wtc6 cause there is designs (possibly not getting built) for the world trade centres: 1,2,3,4,5, ,7
i don't get it wat about wtc6??
There was never intended to be a 6. WTC7 has that number because that was the number of the old tower there. There are fewer office buildings in the new complex.
Nomadd22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2009, 08:00 PM   #8687
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1032

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebola View Post
You're right; perhaps there was just a little progress, but overall I can hardly see any progress at all, especially within the past few months[/CENTER]
Well yeah, sure, if you don't count the massive amounts of steel that have been put in place at the memorial, and 1wtc's core jumping by 100ft...
Uaarkson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2009, 08:29 PM   #8688
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

I was being sarcastic...
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2009, 08:42 PM   #8689
herenthere
I♥H.K.

Likes (Received): 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhalsey View Post
UK newspapers are saying some of these towers are being cut back to 5 floor "stubs" because of the credit crunch. I hope this is not true.
Yeah, the local news mentioned this about a month ago - can't find the link though. Supposedly, they will just build the "stubs" until the market improves, and then continue the rest of the towers. This never made sense to me-construction costs are falling/steady because of increased competition and building now would take advantage of that. In addition, building later would just delay occupation of towers.
Old May 15th, 2009, 09:02 PM   #8690
RKOwens

Likes (Received): 0

Lot going on in the WORLD today. The B4 slab in 1WTC is being poured now. At around 8:15 this morning, they closed the formwork for the north core, suggesting that another pour is just around the corner. You can also see that they've started laying the formwork for the B4 floor on the north side of the building. Also, it looks like some kind of concrete structure is now up to street level in the far southwest corner (a section of the concrete-enclosed stairwell, maybe?).

Furthermore, they're now pouring the concrete at the plaza level of the memorial just north of the north tower pool... and doing it very quickly. Wow. Plus a huge quanity of additional steel has gone up at the memorial site. What a day for progress.

BTW, concerning WTC6, my guess is that Tower 5 will be placed on hold for a great while, maybe years, but will get built eventually (either as an office tower or hotel), and the Performing Arts Center will be referred to as WTC6. Some think it would be odd to call the Performing Arts Center WTC6, since it's not an office building, but remember that the original site had a Marriot Hotel which wasn't an office tower and was referred to as WTC3.

Last edited by RKOwens; May 15th, 2009 at 09:07 PM.
RKOwens no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2009, 09:59 PM   #8691
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 415

WTC PATH Service to be Suspended from 6 to 11:30 a.m.

A major, multi-agency emergency response drill will be held at the World Trade Center PATH Station on Sunday morning, May 17.

The drill will require the World Trade Center PATH Station to be closed to customers from 6 to 11:30 a.m. on Sunday. PATH trains traveling from Newark to the World Trade Center will terminate at PATH's Exchange Place Station in Jersey City during the drill. Customers bound for Manhattan can take PATH's Journal Square to 33rd Street line via Hoboken, which will operate normally. All other PATH service will operate normally. Customers traveling between New Jersey and Lower Manhattan should visit http://www.panynj.gov/Commutingtrave...ure-may17.html to view alternate travel options.

In addition, Vesey Street from West Street to Church Street will be closed to pedestrians during the drill. Other neighboring streets will be closed to vehicles during the drill to accommodate emergency vehicles, which will be responding with lights and sirens as they would in an actual emergency.

The drill will begin at 8 a.m. and involve hundreds of emergency responders from the Port Authority Police, NYPD and FDNY. It is being coordinated jointly by the Port Authority and the New York City Office of Emergency Management. The drill will last for approximately two hours.

Media interested in covering the drill are asked to report to the corner of West Broadway and Vesey Street no later than 7:30 a.m. No vehicles will be allowed in this area. All media equipment will need to be carried to this location.
webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2009, 10:42 PM   #8692
musefreek

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
I was being sarcastic...
ooh, hark at her!
musefreek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2009, 11:40 PM   #8693
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28210

from flickr:

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2009, 06:06 PM   #8694
Zensteeldude

Likes (Received): 11

From the bottom the floors are labeled B4, B4M, B3, B2, B1.

They were pouring the B1 level on the east side yesterday.
Zensteeldude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2009, 06:23 PM   #8695
deez

Likes (Received): 2

[QUOTE=Ebola;36715016] You're right; perhaps there was just a little progress, but overall I can hardly see any progress at all, especially within the past few months:

Wow...that's pretty bad. a whole year. never mind the progress on the memorial--we're talkin tower here and yeah, little progress. 3 years in the making.
deez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2009, 09:14 PM   #8696
Onn
BANNED

Likes (Received): 173

The webcam shows that they are starting to take apart Vesey Street, where the beams for the Freedom Tower's north side are currently sticking out from the street.

Last edited by Onn; May 16th, 2009 at 11:09 PM.
Onn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2009, 11:08 PM   #8697
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

[QUOTE=deez;36764796]
Quote:
You're right; perhaps there was just a little progress, but overall I can hardly see any progress at all, especially within the past few months:

Wow...that's pretty bad. a whole year. never mind the progress on the memorial--we're talkin tower here and yeah, little progress. 3 years in the making.
you have no idea how complex this site is, do you?
Old May 17th, 2009, 12:47 AM   #8698
S.T.Y AP

Likes (Received): 626

very beautiful, very great, very GOOD!
S.T.Y AP no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2009, 02:30 AM   #8699
deez

Likes (Received): 2

[QUOTE=Uaarkson;36776504]
Quote:
Originally Posted by deez View Post

you have no idea how complex this site is, do you?

oh please. i'm tired of you optimists and your sticking up for the 'speed' of progress in the name of the all ambiguous 'complexity'. If you were told in 2006 that it'd only get to where it is now, 3 years later in 2009, you'd certainly
be a little confused. But throw out the word 'complex' and you just roll over
and accept it. If you don't think politics, not raw construction, has anything to do with the speed, even now, you're nuts.
deez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2009, 03:04 AM   #8700
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

[QUOTE=deez;36784564]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uaarkson View Post

oh please. i'm tired of you optimists and your sticking up for the 'speed' of progress in the name of the all ambiguous 'complexity'. If you were told in 2006 that it'd only get to where it is now, 3 years later in 2009, you'd certainly
be a little confused. But throw out the word 'complex' and you just roll over
and accept it. If you don't think politics, not raw construction, has anything to do with the speed, even now, you're nuts.
I was referring to political complexity as well.

the progress is slow, no one is denying that, but you'd be nuts not to notice how quickly this project has been gaining steam just in the last few months

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center