daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 20th, 2009, 04:06 AM   #8721
JoshuaSantos
thesanjoseblog.com

Likes (Received): 60

I'm really looking forward to seeing this completed. Have to say that I'm surprised at how many people are downplaying the significance of the new WTC buildings in this thread.
JoshuaSantos no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 20th, 2009, 04:26 AM   #8722
Onn
BANNED

Likes (Received): 173

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...23628&page=249

image hosted on flickr

Onn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2009, 03:58 PM   #8723
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

is that concrete barrier surrounding the waterfall the ONLY barrier there is? or will there be more?

독일의 막가파 두목이름은? 칼막 휘둘러
일본에서 가장 유명한 구두쇠 수도국장 이름은? 무라까와 쓰지마
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2009, 04:32 PM   #8724
Nomadd22

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildmilehightower View Post
is that concrete barrier surrounding the waterfall the ONLY barrier there is? or will there be more?
As low as it is in the concept, you can bet they'll have something more there to keep people from tumbling in.
Nomadd22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2009, 05:45 PM   #8725
Zensteeldude

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell View Post
? Are you sure about this, I thought the first floor areas of FT (1WTC) were redesigned to make that much stronger for protection against terrorist attacks. I don't believe 7WTC has these features.

If the designs are the same (or even close) it's even more reason why construction should be proceeding a lot faster than it is, especially when you look at how fast 7WTC was built! Oh wait, I forgot that 7WTC was built by private industry instead of by governmental bureaucracy.
#7 has the fetures, Tower One didn't. All they had to do to Tower One was move the streets further away and add some blast walls.

#7 was built so fast becouse no one died in the old one !
Zensteeldude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2009, 07:14 PM   #8726
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1155

what is that for a ridiculous argument to say, another building was built faster because noone died in the former building that stood on it's site? What have victims to do with the construction speed? BTW, they can install as many safety facilities as they want, IF another group of insane terrorists will knock the new center down, than they will!
Old May 20th, 2009, 07:17 PM   #8727
Onn
BANNED

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/maxcelc...7618391993120/
Old May 20th, 2009, 07:28 PM   #8728
RKOwens

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by germantower View Post
what is that for a ridiculous argument to say, another building was built faster because noone died in the former building that stood on it's site? What have victims to do with the construction speed?
That's an incredibly offensive and ignorant thing to say. Whether 2,749 people died on the site of the former building or whether zero people died on the site of the former building is hugely important. No, not because of CONSTRUCTION speed, but because of deciding what the heck should be done with that land.

Quote:
BTW, they can install as many safety facilities as they want, IF another group of insane terrorists will knock the new center down, than they will!
Again, what a stupid thing to say. No doubt there are insane terrorists who would love to set a nuclear weapon off in New York City. Does that mean we should abandon NYC because if the terrorists want to do it, they're going to find a way? They tried to destroy the U.S. Capital Building on 9/11. Should we abandon it as well? Don't put the intelligence of a bunch of dumbass terrorists above the minds of America's best engineers.
Old May 20th, 2009, 07:41 PM   #8729
MelbourneMaverick

Likes (Received): 3

I find it incredibly offensive and ignorant that you would call whoever is responsible for 9/11 a bunch of dumbasses,

Come on guys stop being so godam sensitive
MelbourneMaverick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2009, 08:00 PM   #8730
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1032

You'd be crazy to think there's even a remote possibility of another 9/11-style attack in New York. As soon as the air force got word of a hijacking, the plane would be blown out of the ******* sky.
Uaarkson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2009, 08:31 PM   #8731
Onn
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uaarkson View Post
You'd be crazy to think there's even a remote possibility of another 9/11-style attack in New York. As soon as the air force got word of a hijacking, the plane would be blown out of the ******* sky.
Unless the air force does it themselves.

Seriously though, I think the new WTC is going to be New York City's least area to worry about.
Old May 20th, 2009, 08:45 PM   #8732
EricIsHim

Likes (Received): 28

Saw this in the news today:

Quote:
Silverstein and Officials Talk Trade Center -- Again
Developer of Troubled Site of Sept. 11 Attacks Appears to Have Edge as Building Effort Proceeds

By CHRISTINA S.N. LEWIS

New York developer Larry Silverstein appears to have the upper hand as he prepares for yet another high-level negotiation with New York and New Jersey officials on the redevelopment of the World Trade Center site.
To see whole article, click here http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1242...ist_smartbrief
Old May 20th, 2009, 08:50 PM   #8733
EricIsHim

Likes (Received): 28

Here is another one:

Quote:
May 20, 2009
Groups Seek to Stop Public Financing of New Towers at Ground Zero
By CHARLES V. BAGLI

Some of the city’s largest civic groups jumped into the simmering dispute at ground zero on Tuesday, saying that government should improve transportation networks downtown and not put any more money into the development of speculative office towers on the 16-acre site.
To see whole article, click here: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/20/ny...0wtc.html?_r=1
Old May 20th, 2009, 08:56 PM   #8734
RKOwens

Quote:
Actually, there's no chance of there ever even being a hijacking to begin with again, in America or anywhere else. Now that people know that "we are returning to the airport" is a lie and that that "bomb" is a fake, passengers don't just sit idle anymore and let the hijackers have control of the plane. They're going to fight back. This happened with Flight 93 and even in a few cases since, when a lone nutjob went crazy on the plane and other passengers jumped on them.
Old May 21st, 2009, 02:35 AM   #8735
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

Seriously, can we please stop with all the terrorist - 9/11 - security posts. If you want to talk terrorism and 9/11 I'm sure there are many other forums online for you to express your opinions. Let's not have this thread unnecesarily locked.

Could a moderator please delete any off topic posts as well?
spectre000 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2009, 02:58 AM   #8736
RKOwens

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre000 View Post
Seriously, can we please stop with all the terrorist - 9/11 - security posts. If you want to talk terrorism and 9/11 I'm sure there are many other forums online for you to express your opinions. Let's not have this thread unnecesarily locked.

Could a moderator please delete any off topic posts as well?
Um, are you serious? This thread has been extremely slow in the past few days. I think it's fine to talk about other aspects of 1WTC, like how safe it will be, when there's not much to talk about as far as construction. Nothing in this thread says the topic has to be about 1WTC's construction, it's simply a thread about 1WTC. There's no reason to ask the mods to delete these posts.
Old May 21st, 2009, 03:49 AM   #8737
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

Fair enough... I don't visit this site for the political talk, I come for the pictures and construction insights... But whenever the thread slows down I guess others are free for another bitch out session and talk about the same old things like the slow progress, terrorists, politics, economy, PA vs. SP.... wonderful...

Please don't take offense for me to ask the mods to clean up political posts... just my personal preference (and I'm sure many others) to not have this forum filled with those particular comments.

Anyway, it's nice to see the Vessey street sections being removed. I hope we'll see new perimeter steel installed soon.
spectre000 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2009, 05:27 AM   #8738
adam-albany

Likes (Received): 1

I wasn't going to get back into it, but since things are slow...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell View Post
Why? Other than scheduling the building isn't really affected by the trains. The foundation just has to span the tracks which really isn't a major consideration. He Would've only had to pay for the building, the track's and the that the responsibility.
The train affects EVERYTHING below grade. The reason the north core of 1WTC is so much lower than the south core is because of the subway line. The subway runs continuously, 24/7. It causes movement and vibrations, and it means that living breathing people are running directly underneath an active contruction zone every couple of minutes. Had it been a possibility to shut down the subway and PATH lines through the site for weeks at a time, contruction on 1WTC, the transportation hub, and the memorial would have proceeded MUCH faster.
Quote:
1WTC didn't have to be that complex. If the police department and politicians have stayed out of the way and not interfered it would've been much simpler. Much of the complexity was added as a result of their interference. The only reason 1WTC has become a target is because of the design which was mostly a result of the families of victims, not for necessities in the design.
Then I'm sure you would vollunteer to handle the families of the victims if the simpler design had been the target of vehicle bombing, as the original WTC was in 1993. These changes were made to potentially save lives. Had the police department been included from the start, things would have run much smoother.
Quote:
Not a valid point, the only reason 4WTC was so late in starting (as well as 2WTC and 3WTC) was because of delays caused by outside influence. If Silverstein had been building everything 1WTC would be complete by now and the others well underway.
You could make the same argument about 1WTC. The Port Authority only consolidated control of the public part of the redevelopment in late 2006. The remaining partnerships -- with the MTA, NYSDOT, the memorial foundation, the city of New York, etc. -- would have been necessary under state law and city ordinance, regardless of whether the PA or Silverstein were at the helm of the project.
Quote:
Bureaucracy which has greatly increased the cost of the projects for everyone including Silverstein which is why he now needs additional funding.
Skyrocketing building and labor prices greatly increased the cost of the projected for everyone. The funding he is seeking now isn't a problem because it's additional funding, it's a problem because he can't lock down the private investment that he promised when taking on 2WTC, 3WTC and 4WTC. Noone wants to finance three massive office towers when a global recession has absolutely decimated the market for office space. Because many of the companies that would have occupied those buildings have either gone bankrupt, fallen under government conservatorship, or been merged out of existence there's no confidence that the office market will rebound when the rest of the economy does.
In short, Silverstein is having problem getting the money because the buildings he wants to build are neither needed nor wanted by the market.
Quote:
The PANYNJ committed to several other "firm" deadlines in the past, why does everyone think they will complete everything by the most recent deadline? Actually they are not deadlines at all, they're just targets, nothing is going to happen if they are missed.
Because those deadlines were foisted on the PA by politicans like Governor Pataki. These were the first deadlines with firm milestones, based on the facts on the ground and the contracts as written. It's worth noting that all of the projects under the PA's responsibility are currently on track and meeting all milestones. The only milestone the PA has failed to meet involved clearing the site for one of the two buildings that might not be built as more than stubs anyway.
adam-albany no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2009, 05:41 AM   #8739
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildmilehightower View Post
I believe I read somewhere there's going to be a glass wall (6 feet tall if I remember correctly) in addition to the concrete with a railing on top. Of course even this won't stop some idiot from trying to jump in!
Old May 21st, 2009, 05:42 AM   #8740
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
If the plane took off from a New York Airport the Air Force wouldn't have time to react. Since they don't CAP patrols in the air a more by the time the nearest fighters had time to react the deed would already be done.

By the way "clear blue sky" would be a much better turn to use instead of "f__king sky"! Your expression adds nothing to the conversation.

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center