daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 28th, 2009, 04:24 AM   #8801
Swiddle

Likes (Received): 297

Looks like some kind of white powder was spread over the new concrete:

[IMG]http://i44.************/33m0itj.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i41.************/33k7tdi.jpg[/IMG]
Swiddle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 28th, 2009, 05:06 AM   #8802
Onn
BANNED

Likes (Received): 173

Might have been powder, yes. Some sort of sealer, at least temporarily. We'll see what the concrete looks like tomorrow, maybe that will give us a clue.

May 27th
image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/morrongiello/3570698015/

Last edited by Onn; May 28th, 2009 at 05:12 AM.
Onn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 05:56 AM   #8803
RKOwens

Likes (Received): 0

Another nice photo from today, from the same guy:

image hosted on flickr
Old May 28th, 2009, 06:49 AM   #8804
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

^lol for a second I was going to say that picture was taken at least a year ago, but then I realized it's WTC Tower 4 and not FT. Mindblowing visual progress w/ the memorial and t4. I've never seen a building progress quickly as WTC Tower 4. Less than a year ago, there was nothing but dirt on the t4 site. It will be above the ground before we know it; it's bad the FT's circumstances pervent it from being on the same level as t4 in terms of construction speed. Tower 4 and Tower 1 will be racing into the skyline next year.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 07:27 AM   #8805
Onn
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebola View Post
^lol for a second I was going to say that picture was taken at least a year ago, but then I realized it's WTC Tower 4 and not FT. Mindblowing visual progress w/ the memorial and t4. I've never seen a building progress quickly as WTC Tower 4. Less than a year ago, there was nothing but dirt on the t4 site. It will be above the ground before we know it; it's bad the FT's circumstances pervent it from being on the same level as t4 in terms of construction speed. Tower 4 and Tower 1 will be racing into the skyline next year.
Tower 4 is going to be impressive, I think it's going to end up being one of my favorite towers on the site. We haven't seen the cladding yet, but the building is going to be huge. In any other city it would be a giant. It's going to be the largest building in New York City, outside of Freedom Tower, when finished.

If Silverstein has to abandon one tower, I think that should be Tower 3. I would make a compromise on the podium, for the time being. The WTC site would still look good without Tower 3. But that means Tower 2 must get built. If Tower 2 and Tower 4 get built, the site at least looks balanced. If only Tower 4 gets built, the site looks very awkward. Same with only Tower 3 and 4. Hopefully the Port Authority comes through with financing for Tower 2.

As long as they don't pull any funding away from the Transportation Hub, that is. I think that's one of the most important pieces on the entire site. It's the part of the WTC that everyone can interact with (aside from the memorial). It's soley for the public.

Last edited by Onn; May 28th, 2009 at 06:09 PM.
Old May 28th, 2009, 08:33 AM   #8806
spotila
SSC Mapper

Likes (Received): 223

I hope this isn't the case
spotila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 08:36 AM   #8807
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

Yeah, instead of being respectful to the rest of the WTC and area around it like Maki intended, I think WTC Tower 4 may be the most imposing skyscraper in NY, and maybe the US too, but hopefully the facade will give it character and bring it to life. If Silverstein has to abandon one tower, Silverstein should be pushed off a tower. I'm just going to pretend that the mayor (Mr. billionaire) and friends will fix any problems and construction will start on t2 and t3 later this year or next year. I can't choose between tower 2 and 3; it's like deciding which one of your children you'll let live and which one you'll let die. The PANYNJ and SP and everyone involved need to get their asses in gear and prevent towers 2/3 from going cold. I don't care if they make the hub nothing but a simple box; it's not going to be in the skyline. It's still sort of hard to believe that the hub will cost more than the Freedom Tower. So anyway, the deadline is June 11. By then, we may know what's really going to happen with t2 and t3.

"The Transportation Hub is near-certain to bust its $3.2 billion budget - and there's a chance it will cost more than $4.3 billion to build." This is coming after the hub redesign to save money. Insane. Clearly, only the PANYNJ can be blamed for this. And they suggest more cutbacks such as the stubs, which only makes more delays, increasing the costs. It's a sick and horrible cycle.

Last edited by Ebola; May 28th, 2009 at 08:55 AM.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 07:09 PM   #8808
ramvid01

Likes (Received): 68

Concrete pump up over the Vescey overhang pouring into something. Not sure what though.
ramvid01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 07:48 PM   #8809
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1034

The Burj Dubai project is $4.1 billion. How the **** do you manage to make a transportation hub cost more than that?
Uaarkson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 07:49 PM   #8810
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6533

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKOwens View Post
Another nice photo from today, from the same guy:
but has nothing to do with the FT . better post it in the 4 WTC thread
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 08:41 PM   #8811
yin_yang

Likes (Received): 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uaarkson View Post
The Burj Dubai project is $4.1 billion. How the **** do you manage to make a transportation hub cost more than that?
ironically...both too much corruption and too many rules/regulations.

the high cost of construction doesn't help either. but none of this is new, been going on...since the dawn of time? heh.
yin_yang no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2009, 02:21 AM   #8812
James R. Hawkwood
Imperator

Likes (Received): 7

Latest pics shows that progress is slow yet very steady.

At least it aint the big hole it used to be
Old May 29th, 2009, 03:00 AM   #8813
ramvid01

Quote:
Slave labor vs. labor that pays too much, that's how.
ramvid01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2009, 03:57 AM   #8814
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
There are lots of reasons but most of them are more like excuses. The only valid reason is that labor costs are much lower in Dubai than in New York. Other than that Burj is being built and managed by a for profit corporation and they have a clear vision of what they want to do and how they want to do it. The transportation hub has about six different groups trying to manage it and none of them have any idea what they're doing. Also Burj was designed by a firm and is a collaborative effort with no one person taking control of the design. The transportation hub is a "signature" design of a renowned architect and thus the costs are inflated. The fact that the transportation hub will be built with union labor which is quite inefficient is also a contributing factor. There are many more factors involved but these are certainly some of the major ones.
Old May 29th, 2009, 06:43 AM   #8815
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiddle View Post
Looks like some kind of white powder was spread over the new concrete:

[IMG]http://i44.************/33m0itj.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i41.************/33k7tdi.jpg[/IMG]
That white stuff is a curing/sealing compound, used to keep the concrete from drying out before it sets hard. Its use is 'S.O.P.' for roadbuilders, too, BTW.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2009, 06:54 AM   #8816
Onn
BANNED

That's what I thought. They were doing roadwork around me last year, and sprayed something similar on the new concrete curbs, shortly after they were poured. I have not witnessed this before than, however. The substance is like a white wash paint with small particles in it.

Thanks.
Old May 29th, 2009, 11:27 AM   #8817
Ji-Ja-Jot
Used Register

Likes (Received): 27261

Spire-High-Fake at its best. Anyway, it looks good
Ji-Ja-Jot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2009, 07:21 PM   #8818
RKOwens

They should cover the memorial's concrete in a layer of poison powder to keep dumbasses from writing their name in the concrete... hah.
Old May 29th, 2009, 08:13 PM   #8819
RKOwens

First new renderings of the memorial since September!!!!!!!

Also, this is a rather cool description of the latest design for the parapets, on national911memorial.org (check out the site for a ton of new information):

"The display of these names is the very heart of the Memorial. The design of the names parapet provides a direct relationship between the visitor, the names, and the water, allowing for a feeling of quiet reverence between the visitor and the Memorial. Names will be stencil-cut into the parapets, allowing visitors to look through the names at the water, and to create paper impressions or rubbings of individual names. At night, light will shine up through the voids created by each letter."

Cool!

Last edited by RKOwens; May 29th, 2009 at 08:26 PM.
RKOwens no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2009, 08:41 PM   #8820
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

WOW, trees planted in perfect straight rows and columns.

독일의 막가파 두목이름은? 칼막 휘둘러
일본에서 가장 유명한 구두쇠 수도국장 이름은? 무라까와 쓰지마
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center