daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 29th, 2009, 08:51 PM   #8821
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1034

It's just a rendering, I doubt they would plant them like that in reality. And even if they did, it's not like it'd be noticeable on the ground.
Uaarkson no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 29th, 2009, 08:53 PM   #8822
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 240

I like new renderings!
CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2009, 08:59 PM   #8823
Onn
BANNED

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildmilehightower View Post
WOW, trees planted in perfect straight rows and columns.
Who knows how many trees will actually be on the site, developers love to pretty up renderings. But since almost all the renderings we've seen of the memorial have had trees in them, I suspect there will be quite a few trees around it.

The new pics look great, the waterfalls look like something out of a science fiction movie. I'm sure the memorial will be impressive.
Onn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2009, 09:10 PM   #8824
RKOwens

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
Who knows how many trees will actually be on the site, developers love to pretty up renderings. But since almost all the renderings we've seen of the memorial have had trees in them, I suspect there will be quite a few trees around it.

The new pics look great, the waterfalls look like something out of a science fiction movie. I'm sure the memorial will be impressive.
Actually, the trees probably will end up looking like that since they're such an important component of the memorials. The photographer of the WTC rebuilding was cool enough to ask one of the designers of the memorial about the dimensions for me and the designer said the memorial below-grade POOLS would each be 176' by 176' wide, with parapets at plaza level another 8 feet on each side (for a total of 192' by 192'). This is slightly smaller than the original footprints of the Twin Towers (208' by 208'), but he said the plan is to have a wall of trees around the pools exactly outlining the original footprints.

Personally, I like this idea a lot better than having the actual pools be the exact dimensions of the original footprints. It allows visitors to actually walk "inside" the footprints of the original towers, even if only slightly. Also, there will be about 350 trees on the site, which are already growing in New Jersey, and will be lined up in straight lines.
Old May 29th, 2009, 09:15 PM   #8825
RKOwens

BTW, just noticed something else in the renderings... I like how there will be an opening at about wasit-level in the parapet. Presumably people will be able to bend down and be able to touch the water. Might seem kinda silly to some, but to me it would be like touching holy water before going to church.

Maybe that's the purpose of the opening.
Old May 29th, 2009, 09:19 PM   #8826
Onn
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKOwens View Post
Personally, I like this idea a lot better than having the actual pools be the exact dimensions of the original footprints. It allows visitors to actually walk "inside" the footprints of the original towers, even if only slightly. Also, there will be about 350 trees on the site, which are already growing in New Jersey, and will be lined up in straight lines.
Ah, smart. That will be something interesting to see, a surreal experience. The waterfalls are plenty large already, this memorial is large in general. It’s going to take people a whole day just to go through the new WTC site. I think the trees will add much value to the area, personally. I mean, who wants to walk through a huge barren brick plaza; especially in the summer? The only problem is that the trees are not of much use in the winter. In fact, neither are the waterfalls. Do you know if they plan to heat everything? Heated water, heated sidewalks..?
Old May 29th, 2009, 10:57 PM   #8827
RKOwens

Quote:
Ah, smart. That will be something interesting to see, a surreal experience. The waterfalls are plenty large already, this memorial is large in general. It’s going to take people a whole day just to go through the new WTC site. I think the trees will add much value to the area, personally. I mean, who wants to walk through a huge barren brick plaza; especially in the summer? The only problem is that the trees are not of much use in the winter. In fact, neither are the waterfalls. Do you know if they plan to heat everything? Heated water, heated sidewalks..?
Actually, I did read a statement from someone involved with the memorial (don't remember where) that the water would he heated during the winter to prevent it from freezing, but I don't know if they'll end up doing that. Seems kind of expensive for a memorial which has already come under tremendous heat for being too expensive and complicated. It would be cool if they did though. And I've never heard anything about heated sidewalks... what would be the purpose of that? I'm sure the museum will be nice and warm year-round!

ETA: I remember now, it was a Q&A with Thomas O'Conner, the senior engineer of construction for the memorial. Someone asked, "Are there still plans to have the waterfalls in the two pools and if so, will those waterfalls be activated all year long? What will keep them from freezing up?" He responded, "The Memorial's waterfalls will be active throughout the year. The water will be heated to prevent freezing during the winter months."
Old May 29th, 2009, 11:35 PM   #8828
Onn
BANNED

Quote:
Actually, I did read a statement from someone involved with the memorial (don't remember where) that the water would he heated during the winter to prevent it from freezing, but I don't know if they'll end up doing that. Seems kind of expensive for a memorial which has already come under tremendous heat for being too expensive and complicated. It would be cool if they did though. And I've never heard anything about heated sidewalks... what would be the purpose of that? I'm sure the museum will be nice and warm year-round!

ETA: I remember now, it was a Q&A with Thomas O'Conner, the senior engineer of construction for the memorial. Someone asked, "Are there still plans to have the waterfalls in the two pools and if so, will those waterfalls be activated all year long? What will keep them from freezing up?" He responded, "The Memorial's waterfalls will be active throughout the year. The water will be heated to prevent freezing during the winter months."
No, I think they should do it. Might be expensive but the memorial should be operational all year round. The waterfall needs to be there all year round, it’s symbolic. In addition, some people might only come to New York during the winter. Look how many people come for New Years every year. I was wondering about this, hopefully they do it. I would love to see the outline of the twin towers in the sky too, during the week of September 11th. The lights should be integrated into the memorial. It’s very beautiful every year they’ve done it.
Old May 29th, 2009, 11:51 PM   #8829
RKOwens

Yes, I've been thinking the same thing. If you look closely at the lights as they've been set up before, they're not actually as wide as the footprints of the towers. This is a close up of the lights from last Sept 10th, atop WTC7. The lights actually weren't at Ground Zero (sadly) but were on the roof of a parking garage a few blocks south (behind the Deutsche Bank Building) because of the construction going on at the site. Anyway, compare the width of the setup to the height of the light poles. I'd say the setup is maybe 40 feet wide:

image hosted on flickr

The hole in the center of the pools is 40 feet by 40 feet. I think it would be awesome if they installed lights around the edge of the smaller square, only to be turned on during the week of the attacks. This is just my hope though... haven't heard any actual plans for such.
Old May 30th, 2009, 12:23 AM   #8830
Onn
BANNED

Quote:
The hole in the center of the pools is 40 feet by 40 feet. I think it would be awesome if they installed lights around the edge of the smaller square, only to be turned on during the week of the attacks. This is just my hope though... haven't heard any actual plans for such.
Interesting about the lights on top the parking garage, I did not know that.

I would love to see the lights integrated. Heck, they could turn them on every night (yes, okay, maybe a little too much/waste of energy). Now wouldn't that be something. Hologram towers every night in the sky. That might actually look nice in front of the new towers.
Old May 30th, 2009, 05:11 AM   #8831
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
..Seems kind of expensive for a memorial which has already come under tremendous heat for being too expensive and complicated. It would be cool if they did though. And I've never heard anything about heated sidewalks... what would be the purpose of that?
Actually if they bury a large reservoir for water it would be able to draw heat from the ground and very little extra heat would be required. New York City really doesn't have that much freezing weather as you would think because it's tempered by the ocean currents.

Heated sidewalks would stay free of ice and snow all the time. They're actually used in quite a few places. They don't have to be heated very warm, 40° to 45° is sufficient and actually this may be cheaper than other methods of snow removal.
Old May 30th, 2009, 05:49 AM   #8832
ausie
BANNED

Likes (Received): 28

finally some progress being acheived, love the new renders, i will visit new york in the near future and see the world trade centre memorial site
ausie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2009, 05:49 AM   #8833
-Corey-
Je suis tout à vous

Likes (Received): 5224

Quote:
Interesting about the lights on top the parking garage, I did not know that.

I would love to see the lights integrated. Heck, they could turn them on every night (yes, okay, maybe a little too much/waste of energy). Now wouldn't that be something. Hologram towers every night in the sky. That might actually look nice in front of the new towers.
Yeah i know, that sounds like a good a idea, can u imagine both towers built in a hologram? that would be cool, but i think that would be too expensive.

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2009, 07:08 AM   #8834
micrip

Likes (Received): 1051

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell View Post
Actually if they bury a large reservoir for water it would be able to draw heat from the ground and very little extra heat would be required. New York City really doesn't have that much freezing weather as you would think because it's tempered by the ocean currents.

Heated sidewalks would stay free of ice and snow all the time. They're actually used in quite a few places. They don't have to be heated very warm, 40° to 45° is sufficient and actually this may be cheaper than other methods of snow removal.
Yes I would agree. The water will already be below grade level, and if circulated thru underground tanks, would not need much heating at all to keep it above freezing. It would have to be a very severe winter indeed for freezing to be a problem.
Old May 30th, 2009, 06:28 PM   #8835
kon133

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kon133 View Post
Dziś mija siódma rocznica tzw. "Pogrzebu ostatniego elementu", kiedy to wywieziono oficjalnie ostatnią kolumnę nośną rdzenia South Tower. Tamtego dnia "pochowano" nie tylko kolumnę rdzenia lecz także kompleks World Trade Center. To dzień zakończenia akcji Cleanup Ground Zero.

5 Sierpnia 1966 - 4 Kwietnia 1973 - 11 Wsześnia 2001 - 28 - 30 Maja 2002

[*][*][*][*][*]<*> Remember...9/11 ||
Old May 30th, 2009, 06:42 PM   #8836
M.Schwerdtner

Likes (Received): 3

reminds me to a part of the Berlin Wall ...
M.Schwerdtner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2009, 08:00 PM   #8837
Onn
BANNED

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lovethi...51905/sizes/l/
Old May 30th, 2009, 10:00 PM   #8838
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

prince harry visited ground zero (apparently)

독일의 막가파 두목이름은? 칼막 휘둘러
일본에서 가장 유명한 구두쇠 수도국장 이름은? 무라까와 쓰지마
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2009, 10:03 PM   #8839
Zollern

Likes (Received): 15

Prince Harry did indeed visit Ground Zero, and laid a wreath.

ETA.. a link to the Mail online story with pictures: Solemn trip for Prince Harry as he meets firefighters at Ground Zero

Last edited by Zollern; May 30th, 2009 at 10:12 PM.
Zollern no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2009, 10:37 PM   #8840
Onn
BANNED

Yeah, he asked when the site was going to be finished. They told him 2011. But they should have just said sometime this century and to come back when he's King.

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center