daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 1st, 2009, 07:04 AM   #8861
Onn
BANNED

Likes (Received): 173

While we're on the subject of the lobby, I found the floor layout. Thought this was pretty interesting.
http://z.about.com/d/architecture/1/...n_06-27-06.jpg
Onn no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 1st, 2009, 07:07 AM   #8862
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

Maybe another month or two for the north core to catch up to the south. In the meantime it'd be nice to see some perimeter steel columns also put in as well.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 08:45 AM   #8863
micrip

Likes (Received): 1049

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
While we're on the subject of the lobby, I found the floor layout. Thought this was pretty interesting.
http://z.about.com/d/architecture/1/...n_06-27-06.jpg
Does the core have this configuration all the way to the top? I counted over 50 elevators!! Seems to me there's not much room left for offices on each floor. It's mostly core.
Old June 1st, 2009, 08:58 AM   #8864
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1028

It gets smaller as it goes up. It's huge at the bottom as part of the "concrete bunker" design for the lobby.
Uaarkson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 09:20 AM   #8865
Onn
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uaarkson View Post
It gets smaller as it goes up. It's huge at the bottom as part of the "concrete bunker" design for the lobby.
Not that much smaller, the tower slopes some as it goes up. That's to give the building some architectural zing. I think the Freedom tower is still going to have the most bulk of any tower in the world at roof top. Don't quote me on that, but if you look at diagrams. The Freedom tower is not taller, but is bulkier near the top, than other towers of its size. Taipei 101, SWFC, Burji Dubai...

Last edited by Onn; June 1st, 2009 at 09:32 AM.
Old June 1st, 2009, 10:16 AM   #8866
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1028

Quote:
Not that much smaller, the tower slopes some as it goes up. That's to give the building some architectural zing. I think the Freedom tower is still going to have the most bulk of any tower in the world at roof top. Don't quote me on that, but if you look at diagrams. The Freedom tower is not taller, but is bulkier near the top, than other towers of its size. Taipei 101, SWFC, Burji Dubai...
I was talking about the core, not the tower as a whole.
Uaarkson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 11:40 AM   #8867
dachacon

Likes (Received): 164

is there going to be any sky lobbies like the original twin towers?
dachacon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 12:14 PM   #8868
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 843

Unfortunately. no skylobbies are in the new tower. But I do expect a new Windows on the World restaurant to be housed near the top floor.

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 05:32 PM   #8869
Onn
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uaarkson View Post
I was talking about the core, not the tower as a whole.
You didn't say. "It". I guess I was assuming the tower.
Old June 1st, 2009, 06:20 PM   #8870
meh_cd

Likes (Received): 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by dachacon View Post
is there going to be any sky lobbies like the original twin towers?
The skylobbies were elevator transfer points, and I think it may have one. If you meant observation deck, yes it'll have an indoor one for sure along with a restaurant on another floor.
meh_cd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 07:29 PM   #8871
NewYorker2009

Likes (Received): 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim856796 View Post
Unfortunately. no skylobbies are in the new tower. But I do expect a new Windows on the World restaurant to be housed near the top floor.
There will be one skylobby on the 64th Floor and I don't think Windows On The World will be on top of the Tower because why work where people you worked with died it wouldn't be right. There will be a restaurant but it won't be Windows.
NewYorker2009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 07:36 PM   #8872
NewYorker2009

Likes (Received): 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zensteeldude View Post
There has been no cement pour for the lobby (first floor) yet. Forms are going in on the south side.
Zen,

When do you think the building will start rising like floors going up and everything not just adding framework on top of the South Core but really when will this Tower get going? I read 4th Quarter of 2009 and I'm pretty sure that's when it will happen.
NewYorker2009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 07:41 PM   #8873
Onn
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker2009 View Post
There will be one skylobby on the 64th Floor and I don't think Windows On The World will be on top of the Tower because why work where people you worked with died it wouldn't be right. There will be a restaurant but it won't be Windows.
No, the restaurant Windows Of The World is coming back. It's going to be a little smaller though....not sure what floor.
Old June 1st, 2009, 08:34 PM   #8874
devilsadvocate

Likes (Received): 74

Wow, never thought, that the Sears Tower is actually still higher than the Freedom-tower will be.
devilsadvocate no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 08:56 PM   #8875
RKOwens

Likes (Received): 0

The reason that floor plan shows the core in the lobby so large is because the PATH tunnel, which runs directly through the Freedom Tower, needs large shafts to vent air. That's what those four large shafts on each corner of the core are for. The shafts only go up a few floors (venting out through vents in the base) and won't be there on the office floors. Once you get rid of those, you can see you already have a lot more room for office space. Also, those four stairwells on each corner are actually only two stairwells above the 2nd floor and are located in the core, which gives more room for office space on the actual office floors. Also, according to Zen (who has the prints), the core also tapers inward with the rest of the building as you go up.

And yes there will be one sky lobby. It's already been confirmed (like, years ago) that there will be both a restaurant and an observation deck near the top. The restaurant and obs deck are each spread over two floors, so the floor area is pretty much the same as in the original Twin Towers.
Old June 1st, 2009, 10:57 PM   #8876
Onn
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsadvocate View Post
Wow, never thought, that the Sears Tower is actually still higher than the Freedom-tower will be.
To roof Sears is a tiny bit taller, but you have to remember that they're using the same basic template as the twin towers. That did that purposely because it’s symbolic. To the roof, Sears was taller than the original twin towers too. However, to the end of the spire Freedom is still taller, even if you add on Sears’ antennas.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 04:24 AM   #8877
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
To roof Sears is a tiny bit taller, but you have to remember that they're using the same basic template as the twin towers. That did that purposely because it’s symbolic. To the roof, Sears was taller than the original twin towers too. However, to the end of the spire Freedom is still taller, even if you add on Sears’ antennas.
Of course you have to add the stupid looking spire to the top of FT in order to make it taller!
Old June 2nd, 2009, 04:53 AM   #8878
Onn
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell View Post
Of course you have to add the stupid looking spire to the top of FT in order to make it taller!
Again, this more has to do with the original World Trade Center. The Freedom Tower is the same height as one of the original towers, and then they added another 300 feet on top with a spire. I'm not going to complain, if it was anywhere else I might. I get what they did here.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 05:37 AM   #8879
Onn
BANNED

June 1st
image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/morrong...47737/sizes/l/
Old June 2nd, 2009, 05:46 AM   #8880
Taiki24
Ars longa, vita brevis

Likes (Received): 6

I know that there were originally plans to have this tower be the tallest in the world upon completion, but that was obviously scrapped with competition from other nations and headaches on the home front.

However, I do think that it would be nice if the tower was quite a bit taller. The could still keep the symbolism, why not have the roof height be 1776 ft and the height to the spire be 2001 ft? Now you have double the symbolism, more floors, and a taller tower.

I know obviously that this isnt going to happen with the design being basically finalized and all, but I think that it it a neat idea. I kind of think its cheating to have the height be measured by the spire height, even though it is common practice.
Taiki24 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center