daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 3rd, 2009, 02:40 AM   #8901
Onn
BANNED

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker2009 View Post
Don't get me wrong I hope Windows Of The World does indeed return. I ate there a few times in the 1990's and it was amazing. The Port Authority however, may be *******s (which they are already are) and decide not to bring it back. The Port wants good business even if that means cutting off all ties to 9/11 and the Twin Towers, even the restaurant. They already changed the Freedom Tower's name, put the observation deck indoors, I know they probably won't even bring back the original restaurant.
We'll see what happens. They would be wise to put the restaurant back in it's place. There should be enough room to do so. Freedom tower is hardly going to be a tourist haven at it is. The Port has an obligation to give some of the tower back to the people.
Onn no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 3rd, 2009, 02:46 AM   #8902
NewYorker2009

Likes (Received): 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
We'll see what happens. They would be wise to put the restaurant back in it's place. There should be enough room to do so. Freedom tower is hardly going to be a tourist haven at it is. The Port has an obligation to give some of the tower back to the people.
Yes it would be wise but with Chris Ward as executive director forget it he's a prick. He doesn't care about what the people want. This Tower is all about real estate which it should be but it has to be about the people too and with the original Towers the people had something that belonged to them. They had the observation deck, Windows On The World, and Manhattan's largest indoor mall so we had it all then. What would be great but won't happen is if they put an observation deck and restaurant in each Tower or maybe in Tower 2 or 4. Just think if Tower 2 is built it will block the whole east view from the Freedom Tower indoor deck so it would be nice to add another deck in one of the 3 Towers across the way.
NewYorker2009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2009, 02:56 AM   #8903
Onn
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker2009 View Post
Yes it would be wise but with Chris Ward as executive director forget it he's a prick. He doesn't care about what the people want. This Tower is all about real estate which it should be but it has to be about the people too and with the original Towers the people had something that belonged to them. They had the observation deck, Windows On The World, and Manhattan's largest indoor mall so we had it all then. What would be great but won't happen is if they put an observation deck and restaurant in each Tower or maybe in Tower 2 or 4. Just think if Tower 2 is built it will block the whole east view from the Freedom Tower indoor deck so it would be nice to add another deck in one of the 3 Towers across the way.
That's true, or connected the towers with a skywalk or something. Clearly no one thought about the view from Freedom Tower. Although the original twin towers were set up just right where it wasn't a problem. I don't think they originally laid the site out like they did just for the view from the top.
Old June 3rd, 2009, 04:34 AM   #8904
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
You can build taller if you get special permission. Towers in the past have gotten permission to do so; but they were never built.
A couple of transmission towers have been built taller than 2000'. I believe the tallest was in North Dakota and it was around 2600' if I'm not mistaken.
Old June 3rd, 2009, 05:36 AM   #8905
helghast

Likes (Received): 147

its 2,063 ft
here's some others:
KXJB Tower 2060 ft - 627.8 m
KXTV/KOVR Tower 2049 ft - 624.5 m
Old June 3rd, 2009, 05:55 AM   #8906
Onn
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell View Post
A couple of transmission towers have been built taller than 2000'. I believe the tallest was in North Dakota and it was around 2600' if I'm not mistaken.
The North Dakota transmission tower was the one that made Congress put the law into place. There was a tower in the 1970s, I believe, that was approved in Chicago to go 2300; but it was never built. I've been trying to find information on it again.
Old June 3rd, 2009, 07:23 AM   #8907
TheShark

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
The North Dakota transmission tower was the one that made Congress put the law into place. There was a tower in the 1970s, I believe, that was approved in Chicago to go 2300; but it was never built. I've been trying to find information on it again.
There are many buildings that were never built in Chicago that were taller than 2 000 ft :

http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/ci/bu/s...t=2&ht=2&sro=0

According to that list, there are 3 of them

I guess you're talking about the Chicago World Trade Centre. According to Emporis, it was designed in the 80s and was 2 500 ft tall

Last edited by TheShark; June 3rd, 2009 at 07:34 AM.
TheShark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2009, 07:49 AM   #8908
Onn
BANNED

Oh, it was they Skyneedle I was talking about.
Old June 3rd, 2009, 10:04 AM   #8909
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

I guest I have so step in and be the mod on this one. Lets stay on topic guys this a thread for 1WTC not some building that was never built in chicago. I'd say next time you get off topic you'll be band but I don't have the power to do that lol.
Old June 3rd, 2009, 05:41 PM   #8910
Onn
BANNED

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/robots-dreams/3590843541/
Old June 3rd, 2009, 07:31 PM   #8911
NewYorker2009

Likes (Received): 132

Quote:
That's true, or connected the towers with a skywalk or something. Clearly no one thought about the view from Freedom Tower. Although the original twin towers were set up just right where it wasn't a problem. I don't think they originally laid the site out like they did just for the view from the top.
Yeah that would be great but like I said it won't happen. I know no one really thought about the view from the Freedom Tower but if there was an outdoor deck on the roof then maybe you may be able to see more of the east view but as long as it's at 1,265 feet you can't see much with Tower 2 in the way. Another suggestion I had in mind was that instead of building a spire build something similar to the Empire State Building where it just a Tower going up to 1,776 feet from the the roof (like in the ESB where it goes from floor 86 to 102) but that won't happen either.
NewYorker2009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2009, 08:55 PM   #8912
RKOwens

Likes (Received): 0

Some more perimeter columns have gone up, on the west side.
Old June 3rd, 2009, 09:31 PM   #8913
Onn
BANNED

Looks like they might be getting ready for some concrete too.
Old June 3rd, 2009, 10:08 PM   #8914
Nihil Dicit
Closet Crane-Spotter

Thanks for the update pics.

Is that the first tower crane on site?
Nihil Dicit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2009, 10:19 PM   #8915
Onn
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihil Dicit View Post

There are two cranes already at the Freedom Tower. The south crane is higher than the north one, because the south core of the tower is already above street level, the north is not yet. There is another crane at 4WTC (a second one going up in August), and a number of smaller mobile cranes scattered throughout the site.

Last edited by Onn; June 4th, 2009 at 01:44 AM.
Old June 3rd, 2009, 11:00 PM   #8916
meh_cd

Likes (Received): 123

Quote:
There are two cranes already at the Freedom Tower. The north crane is higher than the south one, because the north core of the tower is already above street level, the south is not yet. There is another crane at 4WTC (a second one going up in August), and a number of smaller mobile cranes scattered throughout the site.
You swapped the north and south cranes around, but otherwise 100% correct. Apparently there will be at least one more for the Freedom Tower once it gets farther along.
meh_cd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2009, 11:04 PM   #8917
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

If I remembered correctly, there will be two more Freedom Tower tower cranes installed around the time when the lobby/temp Fulton street is completed.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2009, 11:10 PM   #8918
Nomadd22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihil Dicit View Post

It takes both cranes to lift one of those massive perimeter columns. I'm not sure if it's because of crane capacity or the desire to distribute the load over both cores when they lift those monsters.
Zensteeldude probably knows. He knows everything. That can be very annoying to those of us who only think we do.

Last edited by Nomadd22; June 3rd, 2009 at 11:16 PM.
Nomadd22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2009, 01:42 AM   #8919
Onn
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_cd View Post
You swapped the north and south cranes around, but otherwise 100% correct. Apparently there will be at least one more for the Freedom Tower once it gets farther along.
Backwards day. Sorry about that, you are correct.
Old June 4th, 2009, 02:16 AM   #8920
RKOwens

Likes (Received): 0

One more perimeter column just went up, on the north side. Though, strangely I seem to remember this one already being put in place some months ago and then taken down shortly after. Maybe it just got in the way. Anyway, hopefully it'll stay there this time. Also, if you look at the webcam at about 17:30, some stuff was offloaded from two semis. Hard to tell what, but they look to me like more columns.

Additionally, new pics at wtc.com.

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center