daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 11th, 2009, 07:37 PM   #9001
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1277

If you were the developer that has invested into this retailpodiums and if theese get by the time succesful, would you move your business to make place for towers?

Because of that i mentioned that i dont think that theese will be temporarely if built. And then all the Nimbys will come out and say "ohhh they dont may take us our shops away in which we are used to shop"!

Sponsored Links
Old June 11th, 2009, 07:55 PM   #9002
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2746

Quote:
Originally Posted by webeagle12 View Post
one of the most important projects in USA, and we are putting podiums!!! I lost all respect for this country and especially for NYC. I'm disgusted beyond words
I pretty much agree. Someone should bring the happy news to Osama.
droneriot está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2009, 08:16 PM   #9003
Onn
BANNED

Likes (Received): 173

I doubt any podiums on the site will be permanent. This is New York City we’re talking about here. Someone, somewhere, is going to want to build more towers on the site eventually. The space is going to be valuable. Of course, just as long as the Port Authority doesn’t stand in the way....I would settle for Tower 2 right now. Silverstein will probably get Tower 2, he has to. He knows that. New York City is going to offer 100 million dollars towards Tower 2 construction, he just needs to find the rest of the money.
Onn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2009, 08:20 PM   #9004
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
I doubt any podiums on the site will be permanent. This is New York City we’re talking about here. Someone, somewhere, is going to want to build more towers on the site eventually. The space is going to be valuable. Of course, just as long as the Port Authority doesn’t stand in the way....I would settle for Tower 2 right now. Silverstein will probably get Tower 2, he has to. He knows that. New York City is going to offer 100 million towards Tower 2 construction, he just needs to find the rest of the money.
I really crossing my fingers for tower 2 at least.
webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2009, 08:23 PM   #9005
droneriot
Urban Hermit

People of New York: "You terrorists can't take anything away from us! We will rebuild!"

Osama Bin Laden: "Yes we can! We found a weapon far superior to suicide bombing... The NYNJ Port Authority!"
Old June 11th, 2009, 08:38 PM   #9006
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by droneriot View Post
People of New York: "You terrorists can't take anything away from us! We will rebuild!"

Osama Bin Laden: "Yes we can! We found a weapon far superior to suicide bombing... The NYNJ Port Authority!"
sad but you are right
webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2009, 08:42 PM   #9007
Onn
BANNED

Bin Laden's a smart guy, in fact one of the few smart terrorists out there. Don't underestimate him...he would probably say he had this all planned out from the start.
Old June 12th, 2009, 08:28 AM   #9008
Onn
BANNED

We have just received a video that has rare construction footage of the Freedom Tower. June 8th.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejXL2za3-vQ
Old June 12th, 2009, 04:36 PM   #9009
oli83

Likes (Received): 1007

now both of the webcams are down/showing an old picture..
so sad, I really got used to watching the daily progress on this interesting and complex site!
hopefully they will be back on track soon!
oli83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2009, 06:43 PM   #9010
Towards The Sun
and beyond....

Likes (Received): 2

I hope so, too. I'm going into withdraw.
Towards The Sun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2009, 06:47 PM   #9011
skyscraper03

Likes (Received): 44

Excuse me... I'm watching this project from long ago, and I think that this tower is showing the slowest progress of all under construction skyscrapers in the world. Am I the only one who feels this?
skyscraper03 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2009, 07:51 PM   #9012
Towards The Sun
and beyond....

Likes (Received): 2

I'm sure most people are well aware of the slow progress. Those who know the many reasons why don't go out of their way to state the obvious. You have to have patience and tolerance with this particular project.
Towards The Sun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2009, 08:02 PM   #9013
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraper03 View Post
Excuse me... I'm watching this project from long ago, and I think that this tower is showing the slowest progress of all under construction skyscrapers in the world. Am I the only one who feels this?
You're actually the first to ever bring that up. Thank you for your insight.
Old June 12th, 2009, 08:13 PM   #9014
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6562

We discuss the problems of tower 2 and 3 here in more depth

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=869912

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2009, 02:46 AM   #9015
Onn
BANNED

June 12th:
image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/morrong...31661/sizes/l/
Old June 13th, 2009, 02:48 AM   #9016
htlgz

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli83 View Post
now both of the webcams are down/showing an old picture..
so sad, I really got used to watching the daily progress on this interesting and complex site!
hopefully they will be back on track soon!
My webcam is not down.
http://howtodaylooksgroundzero.blogspot.com
htlgz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2009, 08:36 AM   #9017
Northerly

I'm not an American, so forgive my naivety over the politix, but considering the symbolism of this site why is there seemingly NO talk of the US Government being involved in getting the rebuild off the ground and finished? Surely they have some skin in this game as well, if only from a symbolic point of view? What does Obama say? Hilary? Can they do ANYTHING

The site is a calamitous embarrassment to the richest and most powerful country on earth...
Northerly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2009, 09:07 AM   #9018
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

The federal government really has no big say in this project; it's just the city government and the state government.

Though it's funny that the new WTC has both the fastest and slowest progressing projects in the US... 1WTC and the hub, and 130 Lib really slow. The memorial, moving fast with all steel being erected in this year, 7WTC being erected in a flash. And of course, WTC Tower 4 being the fastest part of the project; it's breaking records in terms of speed.

If one of the other towers starts up soon, I get the feeling it will be as fast as 4wtc because it will be on the other side of the site.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2009, 09:22 AM   #9019
Northerly

Interesting. But surely "stumps" instead of iconic new skyscrapers on the site where the most famous buildings in the world once stood has to become an issue of some national significance, even intervention? It would not happen here in Australia, I can tell you that!
Northerly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2009, 11:27 AM   #9020
Taiki24
Ars longa, vita brevis

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northerly View Post
Interesting. But surely "stumps" instead of iconic new skyscrapers on the site where the most famous buildings in the world once stood has to become an issue of some national significance, even intervention? It would not happen here in Australia, I can tell you that!
I see your point and I agree, but in America we have an unlikely mix of apathy and idiocy; making anything of this scale difficult. You have so many groups involved with this project, so little public involvement or interest. Many people (at least people not accustomed to surfing SkyScraperCity) vaguely believe that they are simply rebuilding the Twin Towers.

Another problem lies in the worldwide financial crises, and since our government is already spending over a trillion dollars attempting to jump-start our economy, many people are leery about putting more money into projects like this. Recently, a project to build a maglev train between Vegas and LA lost support because it was deemed to "frivolous" and not "cost effective", even though it had recieved federal money. And since the demand for more NYC office space isn't very high, that is also a contributing factor.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in Australia and other Commonwealth countries, there are less layers of government, correct? What I mean is, you have a prime minister elected from your parliament, and more focus on the legislature as a power? If somebody crashed a plane into the Sydney opera house or the amp building, I'm sure parliament would help facilitate the immediate rebuilding, with strong public support. The government of New South Wales or the city government wouldn't be in conflict. The problem is, in the US you have the city, state and national government each with conflicting branches, and each in conflict with each other. Add in the Port Authority and Architects and Contractors and NIMBYS and lobbyists, and you get the biggest bureaucratic mess on earth.

A little long winded, but hopefully mildly informative and not to depressing. I really hope that the developer can ram these towers through to construction, but he needs to ram through a whole lot of red tape.
-The art of dancing stands at the source of all the arts that express themselves first in the human person. The art of building, or architecture, is the beginning of all the arts that lie outside the person; and in the end they unite.

-Havelock Ellis, The Dance of Life (1923)
Taiki24 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center