daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 18th, 2009, 07:05 PM   #9081
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

Take it easy, webeagle. The HiDef camera is dead for everyone and it will be back in at most a month or two. I don't think it's ever been down for much more than a month; all we can do is wait until they fix it. I guess we have to come to expect it being down for periods of time. Maybe it has something to do with the bad weather this city has been having recently. It really sucks for me especially because I check the HD Earthcam at least five times a day.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 18th, 2009, 07:47 PM   #9082
Towards The Sun
and beyond....

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by webeagle12 View Post
anybody know who I can contact about Earthcam situation? this is retarded
Phone: 1-800-EARTHCAM

Email: ???

Mail: EarthCam, Inc.
84 Kennedy St.
Hackensack, NJ 07601
Towards The Sun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2009, 08:18 PM   #9083
deez

Likes (Received): 2

bout time for that north crane to step up to the plate
deez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2009, 08:25 PM   #9084
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

phew...

독일의 막가파 두목이름은? 칼막 휘둘러
일본에서 가장 유명한 구두쇠 수도국장 이름은? 무라까와 쓰지마
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2009, 09:38 PM   #9085
meh_cd

Likes (Received): 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebola View Post
Take it easy, webeagle. The HiDef camera is dead for everyone and it will be back in at most a month or two. I don't think it's ever been down for much more than a month; all we can do is wait until they fix it. I guess we have to come to expect it being down for periods of time. Maybe it has something to do with the bad weather this city has been having recently. It really sucks for me especially because I check the HD Earthcam at least five times a day.
The bad weather is my guess.

I'll be at the Millennium Hilton from July 1-6, so I'll try and take some Earthcam-esque shots for you guys then. We requested the higher floors on the side facing Ground Zero, so we'd better get that view.
meh_cd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2009, 03:01 AM   #9086
adam-albany

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell View Post
Which of the statements is true? One says of the tracks were operating during the entire time the south tower was built. The other says they were completed until after words? Only one of these statements can be true.
My apologies, I was typing sloppily. What I meant to say was: "As you can see from the south footprint of the memorial now, the south tower was built over the tracks. The difference is, the tracks weren't operating 365 days a year through construction when they built the original Twin Towers." In other words, the tracks opened alongside the original world trade center, whereas the subway and PATH lines were the first to reopen after the 9/11 attacks (mainly because a lot of the infrastructure survived the attacks).
Quote:
Privately funded projects find a way to make things happen. Instead of asking the question "can we?" they ask, "how can we?" when they come up against a major obstacle. They don't spend weeks discussing the issues because time costs them money. They find a way to overcome the obstacle and keep the project going. You'd really be surprised what can be done if you don't take NO for an answer!
I think the difference you're talking about is the difference in the number of decision makers. In the typical project development, a company buys land and builds on it. The company is the sole decision maker. All other players, including contractors etc., are answerable to the company or coalition of companies that are putting up the money. That isn't the case with the WTC site, and wouldn't be no matter who was doing the developing.
Quote:
This isn't true. My guess is that a totally private developer would never even begin to develop on this site due to the difficulties and cost. They would find another less challenging site and develop there. The only way this site gets developed is with government assistance in one form or another. Private industry doesn't just say "how can we?" in the face of something like this, they say "we can't."
Exactly. Nothing about this project is cost-effective, any anyone who wasn't already tied up with it wouldn't want to touch it. The Port Authority and Silverstein are doing it because it's prestigious and they're stuck with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell
OK, considering you don't think that's an appropriate comparison, how about the new Penn Station/Madison Square Garden project? That's planned to be a privately funded and built project and you certainly can say that's not a busy rail station!
And we'll see how well that goes. Schumer's been pushing the station ever since he replaced D'Amato in the Senate, and it still hasn't gone anywhere.
adam-albany no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2009, 05:21 AM   #9087
IU
->

I passed by the tower site in the morning today. There was this one construction worker on top of a truck who was dancing and hurling abuses in the rain.

I'll take some pics tomorrow.
IU no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2009, 06:31 PM   #9088
Onn
BANNED

Likes (Received): 173

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cloud_c...73696/sizes/o/
Onn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2009, 08:38 PM   #9089
konik93

Likes (Received): 1486

1 question: what is this rubbish in this picture?
image hosted on flickr
Old June 19th, 2009, 09:10 PM   #9090
Onn
BANNED

That is what is left of the old path terminal (subway) station. They had to build a new temporary one first, which is the white structure all the way to the right next to 7WTC, before they could dismantle the old one and build the new one. Yes, it is confusing. Once the debris is removed there, they will start on the new Calatrava designed station, set to open in...some time next decade. Probably 2014, 2015. http://curbed.com/uploads/2008_4_calatrava.jpg
Old June 19th, 2009, 09:20 PM   #9091
konik93

in some point its quite depressing
Old June 19th, 2009, 09:28 PM   #9092
Onn
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by konik93 View Post
in some point its quite depressing
It is, but they are making progress with the Freedom Tower and 4WTC. What else can you do?
Old June 19th, 2009, 09:33 PM   #9093
konik93

what i meant was that these are one of the last ruins of original wtc basement (except parking). but the life has to move forward
Old June 19th, 2009, 10:28 PM   #9094
Onn
BANNED

Quote:
what i meant was that these are one of the last ruins of original wtc basement (except parking). but the life has to move forward
Yes, that is true also.
Old June 20th, 2009, 02:26 AM   #9095
adam-albany

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
There are still the original PATH and subway platforms (for now).
adam-albany no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2009, 02:41 AM   #9096
Desparye

Likes (Received): 4

I'm so excited that it's finally starting to take off. It's made amazing progress since the last time I visited, though that was last August.
Desparye no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2009, 06:14 AM   #9097
RKOwens

Likes (Received): 0

I would kind of like to own a piece of that rubble from the basement level being demolished, just to be able to own a piece of the original World Trade Center complex. Unfortunately I live in Louisiana now, but anyone living in New York City, I'm sure you could ask one of the construction guys if they could grab a brick or something for you. Wouldn't hurt to ask.
Old June 20th, 2009, 07:34 AM   #9098
Onn
BANNED

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/maribel...27379/sizes/l/
Old June 20th, 2009, 08:07 AM   #9099
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

Damn, you can even see WTC Tower 4 just starting to rise above the street.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2009, 08:11 AM   #9100
Onn
BANNED

I wasn't even looking at that, the massive Freedom Tower core was what caught me. Yeah, we haven't had any new shots of 4WTC in awhile. But I assume they are motoring along as usual.

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center