daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 3rd, 2009, 05:04 AM   #9241
Sysbase

Likes (Received): 0

That's great to see there filling the foundation in... I think this is going to be good!

Sponsored Links
Old July 3rd, 2009, 05:45 AM   #9242
RKOwens

Zen, would I be correct to assume that each of the four rectangular pits (or "planters"?) are for one individual tree? I count four of them, so if so then I guess that means there will be four trees along that side, then a gap for the east entrance, then presumably four more north of the entrance. The rendering of the west plaza shows 5 trees to each side of the entrance, but I like the idea of just 4 better. As we all know, the base is intended to reflect cool shades of colors all throughout the day, but I'm afraid too many trees are going to block too much of the base. Also, it would prevent a lot of light from reaching into the lobby through those upper vertical windows. The less trees the better (in my opinion).

BTW, are you measuring the circle by radius when you say it's 18 feet wide? The diameter seems to be about 1/6th the length of the FT, which is about 200 feet long.

Last edited by RKOwens; July 3rd, 2009 at 05:54 AM.
RKOwens no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2009, 06:33 AM   #9243
Onn
BANNED

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKOwens View Post
Zen, would I be correct to assume that each of the four rectangular pits (or "planters"?) are for one individual tree? I count four of them, so if so then I guess that means there will be four trees along that side, then a gap for the east entrance, then presumably four more north of the entrance. The rendering of the west plaza shows 5 trees to each side of the entrance, but I like the idea of just 4 better. As we all know, the base is intended to reflect cool shades of colors all throughout the day, but I'm afraid too many trees are going to block too much of the base. Also, it would prevent a lot of light from reaching into the lobby through those upper vertical windows. The less trees the better (in my opinion).
I'm surprised they’re putting trees at the base of a supertall tower at all. Where else does that happen? I hope this works out as well as they intended it to. They are definitely treading new water here.
Onn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2009, 06:48 AM   #9244
Zensteeldude

Likes (Received): 11

RKOwens, I'll have to check that on Monday, the Landscape prints are at work.
Zensteeldude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2009, 08:42 AM   #9245
natarajan1986
social member

Likes (Received): 3588

is it in foundation level ?
natarajan1986 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2009, 08:28 PM   #9246
adam-albany

Likes (Received): 1

adam-albany no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2009, 08:33 PM   #9247
AvanGard
HMS

Likes (Received): 25

WOW the other tower is progressing quite rapidly.
AvanGard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2009, 09:20 PM   #9248
RKOwens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
I'm surprised they’re putting trees at the base of a supertall tower at all. Where else does that happen? I hope this works out as well as they intended it to. They are definitely treading new water here.
Actually, a lot of buildings have trees around their bases. It's just that I don't know of many supertalls that have had THIS MANY. Even the twins had trees around their bases but not nearly this many. Could you imagine if they had an 80 foot tall barricade of dense leaves around their bases?

I like it when there are a few trees here and there, but this is kinda overkill. I understand the WTC is unique and they're trying to symbolize life, but there are already plenty of trees in the memorial. At least Towers 2-4 won't have so many.
Old July 4th, 2009, 03:03 AM   #9249
ramvid01

Likes (Received): 68

Hmmmm, my eyes may be playing games with me, but are those beams going from the outwar perimeter columns connecting to the core?
ramvid01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2009, 03:10 AM   #9250
Littlemob

Likes (Received): 7

no I don't think so i think that are the suporting beams of the groudfloor. If you look you see they strecht further outside the wtc1 into the memorial.
Littlemob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2009, 03:37 AM   #9251
Zensteeldude

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramvid01 View Post
Hmmmm, my eyes may be playing games with me, but are those beams going from the outwar perimeter columns connecting to the core?
What you are seeing is shadows cast on the droped sections of the lobby floor forms where the concrete beams that support it go.
There are no steel floor beams tell we get to the 2nd floor.
Old July 4th, 2009, 04:12 AM   #9252
brainiac

Wow, it's really coming along. I haven't been checking the progress lately so there are a lot of new details that have sprung up all around.
Old July 4th, 2009, 02:48 PM   #9253
OzFrog
Melburnian

Likes (Received): 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam-albany View Post
Is it just me or have they started dismantling the roof of the PATH station, near where the Memorial entrance building is going to be?
Old July 4th, 2009, 09:20 PM   #9254
RKOwens

Yeah, they've been dismantling it for a while now. I remember in the October report how it said the existing PATH hub roof would remain in place throughout the installation of the huge, permanent arches over the eventual PATH mezzanine to act as protection for commuters, but I THINK the eventual PATH mezzanine is only going to stretch as far south as about where the museum entrance/pavillion will be at the plaza above. Can you confirm or deny this, Zen? Or NYatKnight?

I think the area directly below the pavillion will be built with traditional columns (not the huge calatrava arches) and will be retail shops. My guess is that's why they have to remove that area of the existing roof. Hopefully we'll see steel going up there soon.
Old July 4th, 2009, 10:58 PM   #9255
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Quote:
Actually, a lot of buildings have trees around their bases. It's just that I don't know of many supertalls that have had THIS MANY. Even the twins had trees around their bases but not nearly this many. Could you imagine if they had an 80 foot tall barricade of dense leaves around their bases?

I like it when there are a few trees here and there, but this is kinda overkill. I understand the WTC is unique and they're trying to symbolize life, but there are already plenty of trees in the memorial. At least Towers 2-4 won't have so many.
You do realise that they are just trying to fill up the empty space created around the tower for safety reasons (car bombs)
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2009, 11:44 PM   #9256
Nomadd22

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
BTW, are you measuring the circle by radius when you say it's 18 feet wide? The diameter seems to be about 1/6th the length of the FT, which is about 200 feet long.
I measure the pit as being three workers in diameter, so either it's +/-18 feet wide or those guys are 12 feet tall. I think the perspective in that picture is foreshortening the near side of the tower foundation by a misleading extent.
(I'm not sure exactly what that means, but it's a lot of big words, so I'm hoping it will fool people)
Nomadd22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2009, 12:35 AM   #9257
AvanGard
HMS

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
You do realise that they are just trying to fill up the empty space created around the tower for safety reasons (car bombs)
That's a good one , really good one, anti car bomb trees

I think that around the WTC site there are simply going to be many bollards and different types of barriers (fixed or drop arm or whatever other models are out there.)

Wait,
or bollards that look like trees

AvanGard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2009, 01:56 AM   #9258
Zensteeldude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zensteeldude View Post
The 18 foot circle is a planter, not a fountain (refer to drawings A-500 through A-504.4, for slab re-enforcement see drawing S-1.001 B-R) . It's only about 16 inches deep but gets a stepped wall around it.
18 foot radius. I forgot the drawing I measured is half scale.

http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/at...6&d=1246590887

Last edited by Zensteeldude; July 5th, 2009 at 02:06 AM.
Old July 5th, 2009, 02:57 AM   #9259
Hightech Pro

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zensteeldude View Post
Wow, have you got some more shots of the following pages of the schedule?
Hightech Pro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2009, 03:24 AM   #9260
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

Post the floor plan for floor 75 here. Really cool stuff.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center