daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 5th, 2009, 05:24 AM   #9261
RKOwens

Likes (Received): 0

Cool pic, Zen. I too would love to see pics from other parts of the prints but I'm sure it ain't gonna happen. I got to see the plans for the towers and the mall... BRIEFLY... but my friend made me not take any pictures. I'm going back to the site in a few weeks and he's already said that he'd be happy to give me a tour of the actual construction site and the design studio in WTC7 again. I promise I'll take plenty of pics and video. Though be warned, it has to go through approval with him first and last time that took two months.

Sponsored Links
Old July 5th, 2009, 09:18 AM   #9262
Destroyed007
This space is for sale

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvanGard View Post
That's a good one , really good one, anti car bomb trees

I think that around the WTC site there are simply going to be many bollards and different types of barriers (fixed or drop arm or whatever other models are out there.)

Wait,
or bollards that look like trees

Why don't make patterns of bollard, barrier, bollard, barrier, etc? It may give more security, but note the memorial centre takes up more space.
Destroyed007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2009, 10:49 AM   #9263
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvanGard View Post
That's a good one , really good one, anti car bomb trees

The trees will be there for decoration/landscaping not for protection, the (empty) distance from the road is the bomb protection measure, along with the bomb-proof shell base of the tower. Did you forgot that the tower was pushed back from the main road by suggestions from NYPD?

Kids ...
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2009, 11:58 AM   #9264
AvanGard
HMS

Likes (Received): 25

Hey man you gotta to admit that you initially kind of implied that they were using the trees for safety reasons (car bomb protection).
AvanGard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2009, 02:38 PM   #9265
Destroyed007
This space is for sale

Likes (Received): 3

Yeah, but wouldn't the trees catch on fire one by one? That's one disadvantage of "Car-Bombing Protection Trees."
Destroyed007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2009, 02:56 PM   #9266
redbaron_012

Likes (Received): 3093

When I saw that circular shape in the new concrete pour I wondered if the 'Sphere' sculpture damaged in 9/11 will be brought back to the site ? I saw it in Battery Park while visiting NY in September 07 but think it should go back to the memorial area if not a plaza fountain like it's original position....It would feel strange to see it slowly turning with water rushing at it's base like pre sept. 2001.
Old July 5th, 2009, 06:24 PM   #9267
Zensteeldude

Likes (Received): 11

By request here it is, 75th floor strucural drawing.

http://wirednewyork.com/forum/attach...5&d=1246590837

http://wirednewyork.com/forum/attach...8&d=1246591174
Zensteeldude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2009, 06:35 PM   #9268
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zensteeldude View Post
Thanks! I love octagons, and hexagons and triangles too.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2009, 09:34 PM   #9269
Hightech Pro

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebola View Post
Thanks! I love octagons, and hexagons and triangles too.
That are not real Octagons except the outer perimeter, the interior and the core seem to be completely unsymmetrical... just like an octagon which was drawn by a little child...
Hightech Pro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2009, 10:05 PM   #9270
RKOwens

Likes (Received): 0

I was always worried that the core of the Freedom Tower would be so massive, and that the tapering exterior would become so great, that these two combined would greatly shrink the area for actual office space (especially on the upper floors). But this floorplan helps to put a lot of these fears to rest. Some facts: Each floor of the Twin Towers was 208' x 208' (43,264 sq. ft.) with a core 136' x 89' (12,104 sq. ft.), for a total area for actual office space of 31,160 sq. ft.... on each floor. The overall floor area for this floor of the Freedom Tower is 30,502 sq. ft., with the core taking up 8,800 sq. ft., which leaves 21,702 sq. ft. for actual office space. So, each floor of the Freedom Tower (or, at least THIS floor) will contain about 70% of the area for actual office space as each floor of the Twin Towers. Considering that there HAD to be an increased core size for things like emergency firefighter elevators, refuge rooms on each floor, and just an overall stronger and more robust core... I think 70% of the original office space on each floor is still a pretty large area.

BTW, Zen, I may be wrong but I think you mentioned before that each floor would have a fireproof refuge room (or rooms) within the core where occupants could take shelter in case of a fire. If this is so, do you know which area(s) in the print are the refuge rooms?

Last edited by RKOwens; July 5th, 2009 at 10:36 PM.
RKOwens no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2009, 08:06 PM   #9271
adam-albany

Likes (Received): 1

It looks like they're filling in the last corner of the North Pool:
[img]http://i40.************/2nkmp2v.jpg[/img]

Judging by the picture, it seems that they held off until now because the surface of that corner actually forms part of the roof for the underground museum and memorial.
adam-albany no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2009, 04:04 AM   #9272
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 414

http://www.panynj.gov/wtcprogress/press_releasesItem.cfm?headLine_id=1263

STATEMENT BY CHRISTOPHER O. WARD, EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR OF PORT AUTHORITY OF NY & NJ, IN RESPONSE TO SILVERSTEIN PROPERTIES NOTICE OF DISPUTE
Date: Jul 06, 2009
Press Release Number: 84
"It’s unfortunate SPI is walking away from the negotiating table simply because the public has been unwilling to sacrifice critical transportation projects to subsidize private speculative office space.

"As the 2006 Master Development Agreement (MDA) makes clear, the Port Authority is meeting all of its obligations, and we look forward to a quick arbitration decision should Mr. Silverstein continue down this legal path.

"In the meantime, the Port Authority will continue making progress on all of its projects on the site, including the 9/11 Memorial, the WTC Transportation Hub, One World Trade Center and the public infrastructure. We will also continue to invest every dime of the insurance proceeds back into the rebuilding as part of the $11 billion in capital capacity that we are spending on the site’s reconstruction.

"We are certain that SPI understands that an arbitration decision under the MDA will not resolve when there will be a market for two private office towers on the site, and how this speculative private office space should be financed. A resolution to these issues can only be accomplished through good faith negotiations, not a legal fight.

"That is why the Port Authority has offered several different proposals that would give Mr. Silverstein the ability to build a rational amount of office space while protecting scarce public resources for the public projects on the site and for the critical transportation projects that are vital to this region’s economy. We continue to urge SPI to accept any one of these multiple proposals."

Port Authority of NY & NJ Media Relations
212-435-7777

WTC developer threatens arbitration at ground zero

By AMY WESTFELDT – 10 minutes ago

NEW YORK (AP) — The private developer of the World Trade Center site threatened Monday to go to an arbitrator unless he and the site's owner quickly settle a monthslong impasse over how much each should pay to build office towers at ground zero.

Larry Silverstein, who wants to rebuild three office towers at the site of the Sept. 11 attacks, gave the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey two weeks' notice before he would go to an arbitrator to resolve issues with his lease.

Terms of the 2006 lease require Silverstein and the Port Authority to go to arbitration before going to court.

The two sides have been squabbling for months about how quickly to build the office towers and how much each should pay to do so. Silverstein has asked for the agency to front as much as $3.2 billion in financing to build two of the three towers; the agency has said it would back financing for one.

Interventions by Mayor Michael Bloomberg, Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver and two governors who control the Port Authority have failed to reach an agreement.

Silverstein said the arbitration notice is "designed to inject a renewed sense of urgenty to these discussions."

"One way or another, we must take any and all steps necessary to resolve, once and for all, the disputes that have arisen as a result of the Port Authority's continued and admitted delays," he said.

Silverstein said the agency won't meet construction deadlines that were set in a lease agreement to build a multibillion-dollar transit hub, a vehicle security center and support for a city subway line. The earliest deadlines for that are two years away, when the agency would be in default on the agreement.

If the case went to arbitration, Silverstein would seek financial damages from the agency for delays.

The Port Authority has said it can't use billions in government money to back Silverstein's private project, even though the project is on the public land it owns. The executive director, Christopher Ward, said an arbitrator's ruling wouldn't resolve how many towers the agency would agree to finance, which is not an issue written into the latest lease.

"That is why the Port Authority has offered several different proposals that would give Mr. Silverstein the ability to build a rational amount of office space while protecting scarce public resources for the public projects on the site," Ward said.

The agency has said it wouldn't be able to pay for other projects like a rail tunnel serving Penn Station or improvements to LaGuardia Airport if it guaranteed financing for Silverstein towers.

The impasse threatens to stall construction of a half-dozen projects on half of the site, including the transit hub and office towers, all surrounding the Sept. 11 memorial.

The two sides haven't spoken directly in more than two weeks, when meetings spurred largely by city officials stopped. They have spoken behind the scenes to Bloomberg administration officials. The city doesn't own the 16-acre site in lower Manhattan but has agreed to lease office space in one of Silverstein's towers.

The mayor has been more critical of the Port Authority's position in the talks; he called Silverstein's move Monday "one step closer to stalemate."

"Unfortunately, not everyone has worked as hard as necessary to find a solution," Bloomberg said. "No one disputes that the Port Authority is engaged in many projects important to our region, but pitting those projects against the development of the World Trade Center site creates a false choice."

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...OLugwD9999QMG0
webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2009, 04:11 AM   #9273
ramvid01

Likes (Received): 68

Sounds to me that the Port Authority would not fare well at an arbitration hearing.

And if you think about it makes sense, since they were very late on finishing the foundations for the eastern part of the site.
ramvid01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2009, 04:23 AM   #9274
Mospeada
BANNED

Likes (Received): 5

having to live in fear because of their own unfair/busybody foreign policy
Mospeada no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2009, 04:43 AM   #9275
Zensteeldude

Likes (Received): 11

WTF?

Anyway, just build the dang towers !
Zensteeldude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2009, 05:10 AM   #9276
Guest89
----SSC «----

Likes (Received): 36

I dont want to sound like a jerk, but the tower's core and the tower itself is tiny in comparison to the old WTC towers. In comparison to the surrounding buildings its way too slim. I mean the floor space doesnt look that much. I really wish they rebuilt the old ones. Not to mention the speed, I've looking the same pictures for 3 years now with little progress. Not to mention the speed.... if they continue with this pace, the tower wont be completed until 2015. Is it so hard to build a bulding? Countries other than our own build 12 olympic stadiums and tallest buldings in the world for 1/2 the time! Its ridiculous.
Guest89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2009, 05:20 AM   #9277
ramvid01

Likes (Received): 68

Hey look its TalB ^_^.

The core is bigger than the old WTCs core, your just blind.
ramvid01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2009, 05:27 AM   #9278
Guest89
----SSC «----

Talb?

Anyways, it's my opinion that this tower is taking ages, I could have build it faster myself. (figuratively). But then again we are full of politics and money nonsense. It's frustrating to come visit WTC thread and the only difference to the tower is debated by people who look for the slightest difference on the same image. The 600 something meters building in Tokyo (thread) was started a while back and will be finished faster than this... its frustrating!

Again this is my opinion.
Old July 7th, 2009, 05:30 AM   #9279
philvia

Likes (Received): 33

the surrounding buildings happen to be abnormally large and you forget the original towers took 6 years.... not so speedy

and if you really want to compare an observation tower in tokyo to the wtc then go ahead, just know that it's pretty stupid.
philvia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2009, 05:34 AM   #9280
Guest89
----SSC «----

Yeah but these will take at least twice as long if they dont speed up the process. Its year 8 and the building isnt even 1/3 rd the hight.

Ok then Burj Dubai.... it was completed in 4/5 years. lol

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center