daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 7th, 2009, 05:37 AM   #9281
Zensteeldude

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest89 View Post
I dont want to sound like a jerk, but the tower's core and the tower itself is tiny in comparison to the old WTC towers. In comparison to the surrounding buildings its way too slim. I mean the floor space doesnt look that much. I really wish they rebuilt the old ones. Not to mention the speed, I've looking the same pictures for 3 years now with little progress. Not to mention the speed.... if they continue with this pace, the tower wont be completed until 2015. Is it so hard to build a bulding? Countries other than our own build 12 olympic stadiums and tallest buldings in the world for 1/2 the time! Its ridiculous.
You don't sound like a jerk, yer just blind. Tower One has just under 400sq/ft of office space per floor than the Twins.

I've been in construction for almost 30 years, this tower is going up fast, all things considered. More importantly, once it's done, in 2013 or 14 it well be THE safest tower on the planet.

Yer not a jerk, yer just clueless.

[Am I a nasty drunk ?]

Guest89 is the 4,673,890th person to compare Tower One in down town Manhattan to some tooth pic in the middle of nowhere.
Zensteeldude no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 7th, 2009, 05:40 AM   #9282
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2622

Quote:
Originally Posted by philvia View Post
and you forget the original towers took 6 years....
and you forget construction methods have improved since the 60s/70s....
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2009, 05:45 AM   #9283
Guest89
----SSC «----

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zensteeldude View Post
You don't sound like a jerk, yer just blind. Tower One has just under 400sq/ft of office space per floor than the Twins.

I've been in construction for almost 30 years, this tower is going up fast, all things considered. More importantly, once it's done, in 2013 or 14 it well be THE safest tower on the planet.

Yer not a jerk, yer just clueless.

[Am I a nasty drunk ?]
First of all I said i didnt want to sound like a jerk, cause i know how upset ppl in this thread get when some1 questions the construction process, so i wanted to avoid that.

Second I thought our country was one of free speech? I am giving you my opinion on a tower that is taking ages to build and saying if it was in another country like China, it would be atleast half way up by now.

Third obviously you need to buy a ticket and visit other construction sites around the world, none of them take this long for a tower. Its been 8 years since 9/11 and we still have a gaping whole. Its emberrassing.

Anyways I just wanted to leave my opinion.
Guest89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2009, 06:01 AM   #9284
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

Nah, your post is pretty "emberrassing." I know you're only trying to fling dirt, but whatever. The gaping hole that you think has been there since 9/11 is isn't exactly there anymore fyi. The memorial, transit hub sections, vech center and other parts have filled it in, and clearly T1 has completely brought the deepest part to grade and above.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2009, 06:06 AM   #9285
philvia

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by droneriot View Post
and you forget construction methods have improved since the 60s/70s....
and you forget the methods to building this and the past wtc are completely irrelevant this is turning into a dumb thread
philvia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2009, 06:11 AM   #9286
Ebola
BANNED

I'm starting to get really excited about it rising faster when its ready. It's not every day you get to watch something this iconic become part of the Manhattan skyline.
Old July 7th, 2009, 06:25 AM   #9287
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1032

Is there a single construction site on earth as logistically complicated as this one? People who complain about the speed really don't have any idea what is happening here...
Uaarkson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2009, 06:47 AM   #9288
Zensteeldude

You are totally free to voice your opinion, just remember so am I. It is also very unfair to compare anything going up at the WTC site to anywhere else in the world. Did almost 3,000 Chinese die at the tower site you are thinking of ?

As for this gaping hole you speak of, it no longer exists.

Almost forgot what I came here for. Notice the floor count?

http://wirednewyork.com/forum/attach...1&d=1246936675

http://wirednewyork.com/forum/attach...2&d=1246936685
Old July 7th, 2009, 06:57 AM   #9289
Ebola
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zensteeldude View Post
You are totally free to voice your opinion, just remember so am I. It is also very unfair to compare anything going up at the WTC site to anywhere else in the world. Did almost 3,000 Chinese die at the tower site you are thinking of ?

As for this gaping hole you speak of, it no longer exists.

Almost forgot what I came here for. Notice the floor count?

http://wirednewyork.com/forum/attach...1&d=1246936675

http://wirednewyork.com/forum/attach...2&d=1246936685

They are counting form below grade, right? Floor 102 can't be 1,578 feet tall unless they started counting from below the street or something.

Also, this may be somewhat outdated. I heard they ditched one restaurant floor, so now both floors 101 and 102 are observation, and above them are mech and whatever else is up there.

Last edited by Ebola; July 7th, 2009 at 07:07 AM.
Old July 7th, 2009, 07:06 AM   #9290
Zensteeldude

Zero elevation is 300 feet below mean high tide at Battery Park Point. All PA projects (like tunnels) use that as a bases. The finished Lobby floor is 311' 2".
Old July 7th, 2009, 07:08 AM   #9291
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5171

I hate weighing in on these rants that someone starts seemingly once a month. But here goes. The WTC site has made an amazingly amount of progress within the last twelve months. Does anyone still remember that ramp that was sitting in the "hole" all those years. It's long gone. All the steel that has been put in for the Memorial has all been erected in just the last 10 months. 1WTC is 100 feet high. 4WTC is nearly at street level. The slurry wall installation has begun on the Vechicle Security Center area. Abatement of the Deutsche Bank building is nearly complete. All the while the PATH lines have continued to be utilized by thousands of people daily. Kudos to all the 700 workers on this site and thousands more behind the scene.

Between Sept 11, 2001 to May 2002, the site was in cleanup mode. It wasn't even until Feb 2005 that the NY Medical Examiner finally ended their ID'ing remains of the deceased. During that time architects and designers poured over proposals for the new WTC.

The area received a brand new state of the art 7WTC tower in May 2006.

This area has come a LONG way since 9/11. It's unfortunate that design changes, litigation, and bureacracy have slowed things down. But the WTC is finally showing progress, so enough with all the "it's going so slow.." comments.

Whewww.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2009, 08:12 AM   #9292
CF221

Likes (Received): 811

Hope we get to see this project completed soon.
Old July 7th, 2009, 03:18 PM   #9293
Nomadd22

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest89 View Post
I dont want to sound like a jerk, but the tower's core and the tower itself is tiny in comparison to the old WTC towers. In comparison to the surrounding buildings its way too slim. I mean the floor space doesnt look that much. I really wish they rebuilt the old ones. Not to mention the speed, I've looking the same pictures for 3 years now with little progress. Not to mention the speed.... if they continue with this pace, the tower wont be completed until 2015. Is it so hard to build a bulding? Countries other than our own build 12 olympic stadiums and tallest buldings in the world for 1/2 the time! Its ridiculous.
The Shanghai financial center cornerstone was laid 12 years ago. It's almost finished. And the logistics of the site were miniscule compared to the WTC. The Burj Dubai has been under construction for 5 years and still has a ways to go. The Tokyo Sky Tree is a Lego toy compared to a real office tower.
Taipei 101 took over five years to complete. Considering the vast complexity of the site and competition for resources from hald a dozen other projects on the same spot, the Freedom Tower is doing just fine.

Zensteeldude is too polite. I bet he wore out his delete key on that one.
Nomadd22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2009, 07:30 PM   #9294
Viperfreak2
BANNED

Likes (Received): 48

I am at the site today and I am very suprised by the amount of activity across the entire project area! It seems like there are busy construction guys and girls everywhere. I walked around the entire perimeter and peeked through every opening I could find. Amazing!
Viperfreak2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2009, 08:10 PM   #9295
oli83

Likes (Received): 1000

@Viperfreak2: So I hope you took the opportunity to take lots of pics!!!
oli83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2009, 08:57 PM   #9296
RKOwens

Likes (Received): 0

The Twin Towers took 7 years to build, not 6 (1966-1973). But Minoru Yamasaki began designing the buildings 4 years earlier, in 1962. So that's 11 years. If we take 2001 to be when the designing stage of the FT began, then we're only on year 8 now. The tower will be done in 2013. So, the Twin Towers took 11 years, the FT will take 12.

Sure, it'll take longer for the other towers to be completed (except for maybe Tower 4), but remember that it also took several more years before the other towers in the original WTC complex were completed, like WTC3 and WTC7.
Old July 7th, 2009, 09:16 PM   #9297
Viperfreak2
BANNED

Likes (Received): 48

I took a huge number of pictures and videos> am trying to download them to my computer right now. I'm having trouble because at 12 megapixels each, my computer says 149 minutes to transfer from the SDHC card to the hard drive!
Viperfreak2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2009, 12:14 AM   #9298
Hightech Pro

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by philvia View Post
the surrounding buildings happen to be abnormally large and you forget the original towers took 6 years.... not so speedy

and if you really want to compare an observation tower in tokyo to the wtc then go ahead, just know that it's pretty stupid.
That was a record construction time those days, if i remember correctly!
Hightech Pro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2009, 12:45 AM   #9299
Guest89
----SSC «----

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadd22 View Post
The Shanghai financial center cornerstone was laid 12 years ago. It's almost finished. And the logistics of the site were miniscule compared to the WTC. The Burj Dubai has been under construction for 5 years and still has a ways to go. The Tokyo Sky Tree is a Lego toy compared to a real office tower.
Taipei 101 took over five years to complete. Considering the vast complexity of the site and competition for resources from hald a dozen other projects on the same spot, the Freedom Tower is doing just fine.

Zensteeldude is too polite. I bet he wore out his delete key on that one.

You are so disillusional! Burj Dubai opens in like 2 months and its completed. Maybe you should visit the Burj Dubai thread once in a while. And I don't know about Zensteeldude being too polite, but I guess I am being too polite with you and I certainly wore out my delete key.

Do some research and open you eyes... I can't believe how ignorant some people can be. The WTC site is the slowest construction I have ever seen. They say ignorance is a bliss, not in your case. What I am saying is Dubai completed a manhattan like skyline within a few years and we are stuck with this whole in the ground with little steel coming out. The Trump Tower in Chicago finished faster than this along with many other supertalls for way less time.

Anyway I am just replying to your comment, dont take it personal. If you think thats fast construction from the 60s ... have at it hoss.
Guest89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2009, 01:15 AM   #9300
Ebola
BANNED

Whatever happened to the Freedom Tower cornerstone? I think it was supposed to come back to the site at one point, but it seems useless now.

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center