daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 8th, 2009, 02:15 AM   #9301
IU
->

July 7

IU no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 8th, 2009, 02:17 AM   #9302
IU
->

Old July 8th, 2009, 02:18 AM   #9303
IU
->

Old July 8th, 2009, 02:20 AM   #9304
IU
->

Click on the following pics to view large:

Old July 8th, 2009, 03:02 AM   #9305
RKOwens

Likes (Received): 0

In addition to the fantastic pics above, there's more good news. The earthcam webcam is now back up. Well, basically, only you have to click on the second cam here...

http://www.earthcam.com/usa/newyork/groundzero/#

...click the little magnifying glass to open it in a new window and then use your browser's magnification tool. I'd been doing this for the past few weeks and today with its really low resolution but when I did so just now, I see that the resolution is now as good as it was before. In fact, is it just me or is this resolution actually better than it was before?
Old July 8th, 2009, 03:11 AM   #9306
meh_cd

Likes (Received): 123

I took quite a few pictures, but since they're all pretty similar to those already posted I'll just post a few that are from a different viewpoint.

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/3698581052/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/3698583688/

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/3697774371/

Thanks for the heads up with the webcam. It looks like the resolution might be a little higher but the picture is smaller. Before you could see part of T4 and the Winter Garden.
meh_cd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2009, 03:15 AM   #9307
Zensteeldude

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest89 View Post
You are so disillusional! Burj Dubai opens in like 2 months and its completed. Maybe you should visit the Burj Dubai thread once in a while. And I don't know about Zensteeldude being too polite, but I guess I am being too polite with you and I certainly wore out my delete key.

Do some research and open you eyes... I can't believe how ignorant some people can be. The WTC site is the slowest construction I have ever seen. They say ignorance is a bliss, not in your case. What I am saying is Dubai completed a Manhattan like skyline within a few years and we are stuck with this whole in the ground with little steel coming out. The Trump Tower in Chicago finished faster than this along with many other superclass for way less time.

Anyway I am just replying to your comment, dint take it personal. If you think thats fast construction from the 60s ... have at it hoss.
I find it ironic that the very thing you hide behind is the very thing you bitch about, we are a free country and that is a good deal of what's slowing the WTC rebuilding. Of course you are free to relocate to a dictatorship such as China or the U.A.E just so you can enjoy speedy construction.

I well waste no more time on you.
Zensteeldude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2009, 03:17 AM   #9308
Zensteeldude

Likes (Received): 11

Again, great shots meh cd. Did you get stoned or did you rent a chopper ?
Zensteeldude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2009, 03:55 AM   #9309
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1030

Hey Zen, any idea when the next core jump might be?
Uaarkson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2009, 04:01 AM   #9310
adam-albany

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_cd View Post
Thanks for the heads up with the webcam. It looks like the resolution might be a little higher but the picture is smaller. Before you could see part of T4 and the Winter Garden.
The difference is, now the small picture is a Flash animation that links to the original high-res version. When you zoom within flash, you gain additional resolution.
adam-albany no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2009, 05:47 AM   #9311
meh_cd

Likes (Received): 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam-albany View Post
The difference is, now the small picture is a Flash animation that links to the original high-res version. When you zoom within flash, you gain additional resolution.
But it isn't the original high res version that we had. As I said, the original version had more of the T4 site and included more of the WFC complex and the Winter Garden. I'm not complaining, but rather trying to explain what I meant. I suspect that this is the reason that the rest of the image appears crisper.

Zen: lol! Both, perhaps. I'd recommend the helicopter tours to anyone. They're a little expensive but it was definitely one of the highlights. When I'm back next year I might even do it again.
meh_cd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2009, 06:33 AM   #9312
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Bookmark this if you want a quick link to the new HD cam!

http://archives.earthcam.com/archive...gzrobotic1.jpg

Old July 8th, 2009, 07:24 AM   #9313
adam-albany

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_cd View Post
But it isn't the original high res version that we had. As I said, the original version had more of the T4 site and included more of the WFC complex and the Winter Garden. I'm not complaining, but rather trying to explain what I meant. I suspect that this is the reason that the rest of the image appears crisper.
It's the original version, the camera just got moved between when the original interface when down and now. When they adjusted it back, they didn't line it up perfectly with the old shot.

Massive thanks for the link, Uaarkson! Let's just hope Earthcam doesn't try to change it on us.
adam-albany no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2009, 07:30 AM   #9314
WiGgLz01
BANNED

Likes (Received): 64

i really dont understand why the restrictions are just so tight right now for that project! they cant build a tower because it has "too much glass?" what, they think that it will get attacked again?!?!
WiGgLz01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2009, 07:52 AM   #9315
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiGgLz01 View Post
i really dont understand why the restrictions are just so tight right now for that project! they cant build a tower because it has "too much glass?" what, they think that it will get attacked again?!?!
What on earth are you talking about?
Old July 8th, 2009, 03:41 PM   #9316
Soroban
Ah! Megami-Sama fan

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zensteeldude View Post
I find it ironic that the very thing you hide behind is the very thing you bitch about, we are a free country and that is a good deal of what's slowing the WTC rebuilding. Of course you are free to relocate to a dictatorship such as China or the U.A.E just so you can enjoy speedy construction.

I well waste no more time on you.

And Chicago (TT)? Moscou? Panama? Seoul? All dictatorship?
Soroban no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2009, 04:49 PM   #9317
Nomadd22

Thanks Uaarkson. Nice to have a decent resolution cam again.

Some areas of the Burj Dubai will be open at the end of the year, but the tower won't be fully completed till 2011 halfwit.
(Feel free to take that personally)

Last edited by Nomadd22; July 8th, 2009 at 05:02 PM.
Nomadd22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2009, 05:07 PM   #9318
topota6009

Likes (Received): 6

topota6009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2009, 07:08 PM   #9319
Zollern

Likes (Received): 15

Impressive render.

Guys, the next person who comes along and says "oh, it's so slow" why not just say "yeah, but it will speed up soon"?

Those of us who have been following this thread for the past few years know the complexities of the site, the construction timetable and the politics involved. There's no need to get defensive or abusive when someone states the obvious, although I agree the repeated "it's so slow" posts do get tedious and irritating. We'd all like things to happen sooner rather than later but it won't be long before our patience is rewarded when construction swings into the openly visible full-on phase as the tower starts rising. Then maybe the negative posters will find some other project to focus on and the discussion here will be about the tower's progress into the sky.

Last edited by Zollern; July 8th, 2009 at 07:27 PM.
Zollern no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2009, 07:52 PM   #9320
Rockmont

Likes (Received): 29

All I do is remind them that the twins weren't built in a day either. As big as this is the foundations and the base are very complex, with lots of activity underneath. Now I can only hope work goes nonstop until it is finished.
Rockmont no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center