daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 9th, 2009, 10:31 PM   #9341
Viperfreak2
BANNED

Likes (Received): 48

Help me out: WTC1 will have its' steel beam core encased in concrete all the way up to protect the elevators and stairs. What other buildings are built like this? Will this increase (dramatically) the construction time for each floor, opposed to a building with just a drywall covered core?
Viperfreak2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 10th, 2009, 01:17 AM   #9342
IU
->

July 9

Click on the pics to view large

IU no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2009, 02:31 AM   #9343
Zensteeldude

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperfreak2 View Post
Help me out: WTC1 will have its' steel beam core encased in concrete all the way up to protect the elevators and stairs. What other buildings are built like this? Will this increase (dramatically) the construction time for each floor, opposed to a building with just a drywall covered core?
It's concrete core well go all the way to the top to protect the stairs, refuge rooms and sprinkler system. The erecting steel is there primarily to speed construction and tie the floor beams to the core. Yes, this type of construction well take longer. As far as I know only WTC #7 is constructed this way.

Bottom line, #1 well be the safest building in the world.
Zensteeldude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2009, 02:41 AM   #9344
adam-albany

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildmilehightower View Post
Do we still have name 'freedom tower' in brackets because its still not confirmed that WTC1 is the official name or what?
Or it could be because that's the name the majority of people know it as and will always know it as. Why do some people care so much about NOT calling it that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiansUnite View Post
Great shot. Looks like the entire floor of the North Pool is there now.
adam-albany no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2009, 04:35 AM   #9345
Swiddle

Likes (Received): 297

IndiansUnite, your photos are awesome. They make up for no longer having the HD Earthcam.

Little OT: What is the brownish stuff they are putting down? It doesn't look like concrete. Looks more like sand, dirt, or wood.

[IMG]http://i28.************/20stx0h.jpg[/IMG]
Swiddle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2009, 06:35 AM   #9346
meh_cd

Likes (Received): 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiddle View Post
IndiansUnite, your photos are awesome. They make up for no longer having the HD Earthcam.

Little OT: What is the brownish stuff they are putting down? It doesn't look like concrete. Looks more like sand, dirt, or wood.

[IMG]http://i28.************/20stx0h.jpg[/IMG]
It's been posted before (so I'm not taking credit), but the camera is back.

http://archives.earthcam.com/archive...gzrobotic1.jpg

Just refresh the page to get the latest picture.

They're putting something on top of recently poured concrete in that picture. I'd say plywood if I had to guess? Anyone know for sure?
meh_cd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2009, 07:00 AM   #9347
oskmenh1

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zollern View Post

Impressive render.

Guys, the next person who comes along and says "oh, it's so slow" why not just say "yeah, but it will speed up soon"?

Those of us who have been following this thread for the past few years know the complexities of the site, the construction timetable and the politics involved. There's no need to get defensive or abusive when someone states the obvious, although I agree the repeated "it's so slow" posts do get tedious and irritating. We'd all like things to happen sooner rather than later but it won't be long before our patience is rewarded when construction swings into the openly visible full-on phase as the tower starts rising. Then maybe the negative posters will find some other project to focus on and the discussion here will be about the tower's progress into the sky.

WOW Where can i find a 3D rendition of NY like this
oskmenh1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2009, 10:10 AM   #9348
davidjiao2008
davidjiao2008

Likes (Received): 109

nice share
davidjiao2008 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2009, 02:28 PM   #9349
Swiddle

Likes (Received): 297

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_cd View Post
It's been posted before (so I'm not taking credit), but the camera is back.

http://archives.earthcam.com/archive...gzrobotic1.jpg

Just refresh the page to get the latest picture.

They're putting something on top of recently poured concrete in that picture. I'd say plywood if I had to guess? Anyone know for sure?
Thanks. I had seen the earlier post and had even bookmarked the link, but for some reason I could never see anything but the 640x480 "thumbnail", even after refreshing. Tried it now and I now get the huge, crisp image. The earlier discussion about the greater image detail didn't make sense to me. Now it does.

I didn't realize concrete had been poured there, though it's obvious to me when I look now. Guess the brown rebar mats make it a little harder to tell than the green rebar they've used in other areas.

Last edited by Swiddle; July 10th, 2009 at 02:40 PM.
Swiddle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2009, 01:45 AM   #9350
IU
->

July 10

Old July 11th, 2009, 01:47 AM   #9351
IU
->

Old July 11th, 2009, 02:09 AM   #9352
Onn
BANNED

Likes (Received): 173

Stunning photos, as always! Looks like they're making good progress on the north core, I wonder when it might jump?

And some good news for Tower 2, maybe...

Quote:
Plan Offered to Finance Trade Center

By CHARLES V. BAGLI
July 9, 2009

The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey made a proposal this week that it said could break the long impasse at ground zero and allow the developer Larry A. Silverstein to build two skyscrapers on the 16-acre site, providing he can raise $625 million.

But it does not appear that the proposal will lead to an immediate cessation of hostilities between the two sides or of the acrimony between the authority and Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg, who is concerned that the dispute could eventually halt work on the World Trade Center site.

For the first time, the authority, which owns the site, agreed to guarantee financing for both of Mr. Silverstein’s office towers, which are to be built along Church Street, at an estimated cost of $4.2 billion, according to a letter on Monday from the Port Authority to the Bloomberg administration and the office of Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver.

But up to $1.2 billion in financing for the second tower would come only after Mr. Silverstein raised $625 million from investors or lenders, according to the proposal.

The letter, from Christopher O. Ward, the authority’s executive director, was sent to City Hall on the same day that Mr. Silverstein sought to start an arbitration process, angrily claiming that the Port Authority had violated the development agreement at ground zero.

A spokesman for Mr. Silverstein declined to comment on Thursday. He does not view the proposal as a credible offer, according to an official who spoke with him

“I don’t believe it moves the ball forward,” said Mr. Silver, whose district includes Lower Manhattan. “I don’t believe it gets us closer to a deal.”

Mr. Silver, a consistent supporter of Mr. Silverstein, and Mayor Bloomberg organized a summit meeting in May in a so-far unsuccessful effort to broker a resolution.

Andrew Brent, a spokesman for Deputy Mayor Robert C. Lieber, who leads the city’s negotiating team, declined to comment on the proposal, citing an agreement among the parties not to negotiate in public. But two officials who had been briefed on the new proposal said that it was a step in the right direction, although they noted what they called some serious flaws.

One flaw, one of the officials said, is that the financial structure would make it nearly impossible for Mr. Silverstein to raise $625 million in the credit markets, where there is little money available for real estate projects.

The official said he hoped that the authority would be “flexible.”

The authority has been reluctant to finance more speculative office space at a time when rents are down and tenants scarce.

Under a 2006 development agreement, Mr. Silverstein was to finance the towers with insurance money, tax-free bonds and private borrowing.

Stephen Sigmund, a spokesman for the authority, declined to discuss the proposal in detail, but said: “We have said all along that we will protect our limited public resources for the public projects on the site and the other vital transportation needs of the region.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/10/ny...1&ref=nyregion
Onn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2009, 02:53 AM   #9353
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5172

Looks like they've removed some of the formworks around the south core. Probably getting ready for the day the north core catches up.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2009, 10:45 AM   #9354
JCRM2

Likes (Received): 8

This may be a stupid question; I know this is how the original twin towers and some of today towers were built, but why does it look like the core looks like it will take up more floor space than anything. The core is big as any other building itself. I know that it has to because the freedom tower is an gigantic building, but idk, it just looks like l as soon as you enter the building no more than 5 feet, their goes the elevators.
JCRM2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2009, 03:42 PM   #9355
-POLLUX-
Germany

Likes (Received): 9

there you go! as you can see its not much space left beside the core! but thats just for the first few floors! the more you go up the core becomes a little smaller!

the stairs in the corners are just at the base-near floors!

to compare it to the original wtc here's one pic!

For some this might be interesting too!

Last edited by -POLLUX-; July 11th, 2009 at 03:51 PM.
-POLLUX- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2009, 03:53 PM   #9356
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1155

Pollux, but you forgot one important fact, the higher the tower gets the smaller the floorplate are. The top floor won't have the same size as the ground floor. Therefore also if the core gets smaller, also the rest of the floor gets smaller. So the ratio core to office space will be nearly equivalent on every floor i guess.
Old July 11th, 2009, 03:55 PM   #9357
-POLLUX-
Germany

Likes (Received): 9

right! but that's normal for most buildings of this size!

for example petronas towers
-POLLUX- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2009, 04:57 PM   #9358
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

The size of the core is normal for this type of building, since it is the core that will bear the loads and stabilize the building.

There are other construction methods that would have guarantied an overall bigger floor place, however that would have mean very thick concrete outer walls and many inner pillars or load walls, clattering the floor space and make it not suitable for a pure commercial tower, hence used mostly on residential towers.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2009, 05:12 PM   #9359
RealThang
Registered Fanatic

Likes (Received): 0

Today it looks like they are removing the steel that was on the top of the east-west connector. It had been previously suggested that the steel structure was temporary, so... now it looks like they can use the full area as a staging area while they open up Vesey Street.
RealThang no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2009, 06:01 PM   #9360
Tylow

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealThang View Post
Today it looks like they are removing the steel that was on the top of the east-west connector. It had been previously suggested that the steel structure was temporary, so... now it looks like they can use the full area as a staging area while they open up Vesey Street.
Cool, I was wondering what were those rails for.
Tylow no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center