daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 11th, 2009, 06:42 PM   #9361
Zensteeldude

Likes (Received): 11

Here's the 75th floor. As you can see the core is much smaller and octagonal.

http://wirednewyork.com/forum/attach...5&d=1246590837
Zensteeldude no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 11th, 2009, 06:43 PM   #9362
meh_cd

Likes (Received): 123

Strange. Were the steel beams only in place so that the concrete could be poured on the connector? They were there for what, two months?

Zen I saw those when you posted them elsewhere but thanks again, bud! Your insight is much appreciated. Has the floor plan for the observation and restaurant floors been finalized yet? I'm curious as to how much square footage is available.
meh_cd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2009, 07:18 PM   #9363
Zensteeldude

The steel was there to support the slab untell it cured and became self supporting.

As far as I know the floor plans for the Ob. deck haven't changed. There is quite alot of floor space available despite the geometry of the building because the core is rather small up there.
Old July 11th, 2009, 07:41 PM   #9364
Swiddle

Likes (Received): 293

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_cd View Post
They're putting something on top of recently poured concrete in that picture. I'd say plywood if I had to guess? Anyone know for sure?
And today it's gone:

[IMG]http://i26.************/9fqpmb.jpg[/IMG]

Any idea what it was, and its purpose?

From IndiansUnite's photo yesterday:

[IMG]http://i25.************/21dos1z.jpg[/IMG]
Swiddle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2009, 08:06 PM   #9365
Onn
BANNED

Likes (Received): 173

I'm guessing they poured concrete over that last night? I don't know.
Onn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2009, 09:38 PM   #9366
Tag_one

Likes (Received): 6

The brown stuff is sheeting to protect the fresh concrete against the sun while it's curing. If they don't protect it, the water in the concrete will evaporate due to the heat of the sun. This isn't good for the strength of the concrete as the water must bind with the cement in order to carry loads.
Tag_one no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2009, 10:30 PM   #9367
Nomadd22

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag_one View Post
The brown stuff is sheeting to protect the fresh concrete against the sun while it's curing. If they don't protect it, the water in the concrete will evaporate due to the heat of the sun. This isn't good for the strength of the concrete as the water must bind with the cement in order to carry loads.
Everybody knows you're supposed to use old carpet remnants for that.

Good to see some decent staging areas. Anybody who's ever built anything knows that few things are as important as some place to put your stuff.

I can't quite get my brain around the need for those Fulton St. Steel beams above the slab. Were they just to keep the temporary ones under the slab from shifting? They'd seem like a lot of trouble just to have a work surface while the slab was going in, but with so little free space, maybe.
Nomadd22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2009, 11:00 PM   #9368
RKOwens

Likes (Received): 0

I'm still puzzled about it as well. The only reason I can think of its purpose is to stabilize or reinforce the strength of the calatrava arches, since they will eventually have heavy vehicles travelling over it constantly (unlike, say, when they're pouring for the memorial). But, who cares. I'm just glad to see the steel gone... made the Fulton Street stretch look ugly and cluttered. Now it's just a nice shiny stretch of concrete.
Old July 11th, 2009, 11:04 PM   #9369
jwalas

jwalas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2009, 11:09 PM   #9370
Nomadd22

Great shots jwalas. They oughta quiet anybody down who thinks they're not using heavy enough steel on the building.
Old July 11th, 2009, 11:14 PM   #9371
RKOwens

Likes (Received): 0

Thanks, jwalas! I have to say, your camera rocks. Incredibly sharp pics. It appears that they've finished the rebar for the north core for the next jump. Only think left to do now is to close the forms and pour, baby, pour.

Also, if you look closely at IndiansUnite's second to last pic, it looks like in the pic they are pouring the concrete for the western 30-foot "wall" around the North Tower's memorial (the wall where the water will fall down). I noticed a few days ago that they had closed the forms all along that wall and along a good portion of the northern wall too. Hopefully they've poured the northern wall as well. Can't wait to see what it'll look like when the forms are removed and we have actual concrete walls there outlining the memorial instead of just steel columns.
Old July 11th, 2009, 11:17 PM   #9372
RAFI
see me

Likes (Received): 115

slowly but difficulty...
RAFI no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2009, 02:29 AM   #9373
JCRM2

Likes (Received): 8

Saw this at another forum. Looks cool from inside the tower.

JCRM2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2009, 04:53 AM   #9374
Zensteeldude

Great pics jwalas! One thing I find disturbing, I've suspected it for some time and close up pics of the perimeter columns confirms it. The columns are chamfered for welding, a long expensive process that involves pre heating and post heating (due to the grade of steel used). The next section of columns well not simply be bolted on, they well be welded. I assume it's because they are not encased in cement as they were below grade.

Last edited by Zensteeldude; July 12th, 2009 at 05:11 AM.
Old July 12th, 2009, 06:16 AM   #9375
Nomadd22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zensteeldude View Post
Great pics jwalas! One thing I find disturbing, I've suspected it for some time and close up pics of the perimeter columns confirms it. The columns are chamfered for welding, a long expensive process that involves pre heating and post heating (due to the grade of steel used). The next section of columns well not simply be bolted on, they well be welded. I assume it's because they are not encased in cement as they were below grade.
I'd figured that they needed great tensile strength with the columns, so the joins needed to be almost as strong as the columns themselves.
I was hoping someone would publish something regarding the total mass of #1 compared to the original towers. The new one seems to be going for unmatched brute strength. I guess when you make all aspects four times as strong you need a base to match.
Old July 12th, 2009, 06:22 AM   #9376
IU
->

I drove past the site today and shot a video:

The first tower is the Goldman Sachs tower for those who don't know.

The original video is in MP4 and way more clearer.

Here are some screenshots. They don't show much detail but whatever, here goes:

IU no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2009, 07:02 AM   #9377
Zensteeldude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadd22 View Post
I'd figured that they needed great tensile strength with the columns, so the joins needed to be almost as strong as the columns themselves.
I was hoping someone would publish something regarding the total mass of #1 compared to the original towers. The new one seems to be going for unmatched brute strength. I guess when you make all aspects four times as strong you need a base to match.
Normally connections are designed to be stronger than the connected members. In the case of the perimeter columns, due to the extreme, reversible, loads and the fact that they are made up of a beam and 2 plates the stagered splice needs to be at least as strong as the beam and plates combined. In order to do this a 5 foot long deeeeeeep grove weld joins the beam of the lower section to the plates of the upper section.

(Under max wind loads the columns may actually be under tension !!!!)

Last edited by Zensteeldude; July 12th, 2009 at 07:27 AM.
Old July 12th, 2009, 05:15 PM   #9378
Onn
BANNED

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiansUnite View Post
I drove past the site today and shot a video:

The first tower is the Goldman Sachs tower for those who don't know.
Whoa, the Goldman Sachs is looking good. It came out better than I expected. Thanks for the video.
Onn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2009, 07:08 PM   #9379
Nomadd22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zensteeldude View Post
Normally connections are designed to be stronger than the connected members. In the case of the perimeter columns, due to the extreme, reversible, loads and the fact that they are made up of a beam and 2 plates the stagered splice needs to be at least as strong as the beam and plates combined. In order to do this a 5 foot long deeeeeeep grove weld joins the beam of the lower section to the plates of the upper section.

(Under max wind loads the columns may actually be under tension !!!!)
As heavy as this building is I was thinking more of earthquakes.
Old July 13th, 2009, 12:42 AM   #9380
Zensteeldude

Unless New York gets hit by a 5.0 or higher a force 3 or 4 hurricane is a greater threat.

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center