daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 13th, 2009, 12:51 AM   #9381
harsh1802
MAVerick

Likes (Received): 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiansUnite View Post
I drove past the site today and shot a video:

The first tower is the Goldman Sachs tower for those who don't know.

Grt updates IU and everyone!

Webcams Thread / Hyderabad Cityscapes

"We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further." - Richard Dawkins
harsh1802 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 13th, 2009, 03:53 AM   #9382
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalas View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zensteeldude View Post
Great pics jwalas! One thing I find disturbing, I've suspected it for some time and close up pics of the perimeter columns confirms it. The columns are chamfered for welding, a long expensive process that involves pre heating and post heating (due to the grade of steel used). The next section of columns well not simply be bolted on, they well be welded. I assume it's because they are not encased in cement as they were below grade.
It actually looks like they will be using a combination of welding and bolting on most of the beams if you look at this and some of the other pictures. It only looks like some of them will be 100% welded and the others will only be welded in the center section and bolted on the owner's sections.
Old July 13th, 2009, 04:49 AM   #9383
Nomadd22

Likes (Received): 1

I don't know, but I'd guess 5,0 earthquakes would be the standard for New York. Being on bedrock instead of an old lake bed they probably don't have to worry about the low frequency waves that can make low magnitude quakes in places like Mexico City so bad.
The "whatever the heck you call that shape" of the FT confuses me when I try to figure what kind of resonance might exist. I'd wondered if the shape might be practical as well as aesthetic in breaking up resonances. With that massive core I'd guess it was a higher frequency compared to the originals.
Of course, now days they figure impacts as well as natural inconveniences.
Nomadd22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2009, 07:09 AM   #9384
sky limit

I have a question for all you American construction experts. Why is the steelwork not given any protective coating? I understand most of it is inside the building and only subject to elements for a short time during construction, but why then would they have given the reo steel a coating if it is protected by concrete. In Australia 99% of our buildings more than a few stories tall are built with a reinforced concrete framed structure, so any steelwork is usualy an exposed elements and so are coated.
sky limit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2009, 07:29 AM   #9385
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

What type of coating? They will start putting on a fireproof coating in the second quarter of 2010.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2009, 07:33 AM   #9386
philvia

Likes (Received): 33

i think he means the epoxy coating to protect from corrosion and all that fun stuff. it's really only used for applications that will be exposed; someone who knows more about it will tell you more lol.
philvia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2009, 05:56 PM   #9387
Onn
BANNED

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky limit View Post
I have a question for all you American construction experts. Why is the steelwork not given any protective coating? I understand most of it is inside the building and only subject to elements for a short time during construction, but why then would they have given the reo steel a coating if it is protected by concrete. In Australia 99% of our buildings more than a few stories tall are built with a reinforced concrete framed structure, so any steelwork is usualy an exposed elements and so are coated.
Could you give us an example in picture form?
Onn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2009, 07:21 PM   #9388
Zensteeldude

Likes (Received): 11

Any steel embedded in cement is left bare cause the cement grabs the steel better than paint. (The green rebar is an exception but cement grabs onto the coating very well)

Any steel that gets spray on fire proofing is left bare cause the fire proofing sticks to bare steel very well. They have to add stuff to the fire proofing to make it stick to paint !
Zensteeldude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2009, 07:35 PM   #9389
skyscraper100
>:

Likes (Received): 32

freedom tower just today(july 13th) from earth cam

is that the memorial falls infront?

Last edited by skyscraper100; July 13th, 2009 at 07:42 PM.
skyscraper100 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2009, 07:37 PM   #9390
meh_cd

Likes (Received): 123

Quote:
Any steel embedded in cement is left bare cause the cement grabs the steel better than paint. (The green rebar is an exception but cement grabs onto the coating very well)

Any steel that gets spray on fire proofing is left bare cause the fire proofing sticks to bare steel very well. They have to add stuff to the fire proofing to make it stick to paint !
Question for you, Zen. Will the exterior steel columns continue to be embedded in concrete or will they now be bare with the exception of fireproofing?

And I've asked you before, but I'm having difficulty imagining how the steel structure is going to look once we get past the podium. Are we only going to have 8 huge columns - 2 on each corner - connected by the floors and meeting at the top of the building, or will there also be some vertical columns? I imagine that we won't be seeing perimeter steel like the twin towers because of the huge core, but will there only be 8 supercolumns?

Lastly, where do you think we'll be next August? The podium will be finished, but any idea as to what floor? I'd guesstimate the using the 1 floor per week formula but I'm not sure how long it'll take to finish the podium.
meh_cd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2009, 10:15 PM   #9391
Onn
BANNED

Looks like they are getting ready for another lobby level concrete pour, on the south side this time. They're definitely packing in the rebar down there.

July 13th:
image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/morrong...28294/sizes/l/
Old July 13th, 2009, 11:53 PM   #9392
mindgoessnap

Likes (Received): 43

Question: why did they remove the rows of steel columns and beams that had been lining the top of the concrete area between WTC1 and the first memorial pool section? You can see all the holes where they used to be, but I still cannot for the life of me figure out why they were there in the first place.
mindgoessnap no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2009, 11:54 PM   #9393
meh_cd

Likes (Received): 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindgoessnap View Post
Question: why did they remove the rows of steel columns and beams that had been lining the top of the concrete area between WTC1 and the first memorial pool section? You can see all the holes where they used to be, but I still cannot for the life of me figure out why they were there in the first place.
Here

Quote:
The steel was there to support the slab untell it cured and became self supporting.

As far as I know the floor plans for the Ob. deck haven't changed. There is quite alot of floor space available despite the geometry of the building because the core is rather small up there.
meh_cd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2009, 12:13 AM   #9394
Zensteeldude

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_cd View Post
Question for you, Zen. Will the exterior steel columns continue to be embedded in concrete or will they now be bare with the exception of fireproofing?

And I've asked you before, but I'm having difficulty imagining how the steel structure is going to look once we get past the podium. Are we only going to have 8 huge columns - 2 on each corner - connected by the floors and meeting at the top of the building, or will there also be some vertical columns? I imagine that we won't be seeing perimeter steel like the twin towers because of the huge core, but will there only be 8 supercolumns?

Lastly, where do you think we'll be next August? The podium will be finished, but any idea as to what floor? I'd guesstimate the using the 1 floor per week formula but I'm not sure how long it'll take to finish the podium.
Above the lobby slab the perimeter columns well not be encased in concrete but I am not sure if they get spray on fire proofing or intumescent paint (maybe one or the other depending on location).

There well be columns evenly spaced about 40 feet apart on each side to support the outer end of the floor beams.

When it comes to predictions about progress I am a politician, you won't get a straight answer out of me !
Zensteeldude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2009, 02:01 AM   #9395
IU
->

July 13

Click on the pics to view large

View from the south pedestrian bridge:

IU no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2009, 02:04 AM   #9396
IU
->

Old July 14th, 2009, 02:05 AM   #9397
IU
->

Old July 14th, 2009, 02:07 AM   #9398
IU
->

last 2 pics:

Old July 14th, 2009, 02:48 AM   #9399
Onn
BANNED

Great update! I think that's the most people I've seen working on the tower at once thus far. They're making progress, they have to get this ground level taken care of. They most certainly will move faster going up.
Old July 14th, 2009, 03:25 AM   #9400
nandofutbolero

for what I see of the pictures i'll say theyr'e moving pretty fast!! since it's a huge foundation and now we see the columns at street level ..... this project looks good for me..or for many here

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center