daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 17th, 2009, 01:15 PM   #9441
oli83

Likes (Received): 1000

The last crane inside the memorial pit is being disassembled right now and loaded on trucks. So they can fill the rest of the hole now with steel and concrete pretty soon hopefully!
oli83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 17th, 2009, 02:12 PM   #9442
Tag_one

Likes (Received): 6

Looks like the next section of the lobby floor will be casted today. The concrete pump is already waiting for the trucks
Tag_one no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2009, 03:03 PM   #9443
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

omg, this is taking forever, poor nyc. actually nyc has only one supertall by roof height, what a shame, what a pity. good luck fellows with your wtc rebuilding. maybe it's finished all by 2030.
HK999 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2009, 06:20 PM   #9444
Onn
BANNED

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinarulez View Post
omg, this is taking forever, poor nyc. actually nyc has only one supertall by roof height, what a shame, what a pity. good luck fellows with your wtc rebuilding. maybe it's finished all by 2030.
The Freedom Tower is perfectly on schedule compared to other towers of its scale. The International Finance Center in Hong Kong took 6 years to build, as did Taipei 101. And the Shanghai World Financial Center took 12 years to build. Because of the added security features and complexity of the WTC site, add another year to 6. 7 years sounds about right to me. They started construction in 2007 and will be done in 2013.

And yes, they are pouring the lobby floor on the South side of the core today.
Onn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2009, 12:10 AM   #9445
adam-albany

Likes (Received): 1

Pour for the south half of the lobby floor is complete:
[img]http://i32.************/34ql277.jpg[/img]

One thing I didn't recognize until now is that the perimeter of the building goes right to the edge of the West-East connector. Its roof literally serves as the front steps for 1WTC's south entrance.
adam-albany no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2009, 12:22 AM   #9446
philvia

Likes (Received): 33

another quality new member.. maybe registration should be closed for a bit :P

Last edited by philvia; July 18th, 2009 at 01:50 AM.
philvia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2009, 12:40 AM   #9447
weird
vagamundo

Never ending project.
weird no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2009, 01:58 AM   #9448
IU
->

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
And yes, they are pouring the lobby floor on the South side of the core today.
I was watching it in the morning from my office window while taking multiple coffee breaks.

anyways, click on the pics to view large

July 17

10:30ish

1ish

IU no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2009, 01:59 AM   #9449
IU
->

Old July 18th, 2009, 02:01 AM   #9450
IU
->

Old July 18th, 2009, 02:03 AM   #9451
IU
->

Last 2-

Old July 18th, 2009, 02:40 AM   #9452
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

Glad to see more frequent concrete pourings. Hopefully we've finally turned a corner on the speed of this tower.

Lobby floors being formed, south core formworks jumping, Vessey street being demo'd. Things really are picking up!
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2009, 05:12 AM   #9453
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Does anyone know what the large trusses just in the left of the yellow crane in the foreground are for? They look like they're long enough to cross a street, possibly for another pedestrian bridge?
Old July 18th, 2009, 05:30 AM   #9454
redbaron_012

Likes (Received): 3095

I know much care has been taken to make the height relative to things like the old WTC and a special year in US history but are the plaza or memorial levels relative to the original centre ? I remember standing right at the corner of WTC 1 back in 2000 taking pics and in awe of the two massive towers rising beside me. If I ever visit NY after this project is complete I would surely stand in the same location beside the memorial footprint of WTC 1 but wonder if it would be the actual position / same level above sea level ? That is why I would have liked the stairway to stay in it's original location as it gave reference to what is now completely gone. From these photographs looks like the level may be lower, level with West Side Highway, not the highest side of the site like the original plaza.
Old July 18th, 2009, 07:05 AM   #9455
Onn
BANNED

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiansUnite View Post
I was watching it in the morning from my office window while taking multiple coffee breaks.
Your office is overlooking the WTC site...

I'm guessing there are going to be many more coffee breaks in the coming months. Nice Pictures.
Onn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2009, 07:08 AM   #9456
meh_cd

Likes (Received): 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron_012 View Post
I know much care has been taken to make the height relative to things like the old WTC and a special year in US history but are the plaza or memorial levels relative to the original centre ? I remember standing right at the corner of WTC 1 back in 2000 taking pics and in awe of the two massive towers rising beside me. If I ever visit NY after this project is complete I would surely stand in the same location beside the memorial footprint of WTC 1 but wonder if it would be the actual position / same level above sea level ? That is why I would have liked the stairway to stay in it's original location as it gave reference to what is now completely gone. From these photographs looks like the level may be lower, level with West Side Highway, not the highest side of the site like the original plaza.
It'll all be level with the surrounding streets this time instead of being raised above the ground.
meh_cd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2009, 07:39 AM   #9457
Swiddle

Likes (Received): 295

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre000 View Post
Glad to see more frequent concrete pourings. Hopefully we've finally turned a corner on the speed of this tower.

Lobby floors being formed, south core formworks jumping, Vessey street being demo'd. Things really are picking up!
And along with all of these things, we have IndiansUnite giving us daily hi-res photos from various angels, and the hi-def webcam is back. I feel like I'm practically there.

Anyone else surprised to see the south core formwork already jumping, given that most of the rebar is only about 1/3rd as tall as the forms???
Swiddle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2009, 07:58 AM   #9458
RKOwens

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron_012 View Post
The floor of the memorial plaza will be at the same level as the floor of lobby of the original towers (meaning even with West Street). I unfortunately never had the pleasure of visiting the towers so I'm trying to sound like I know more than you, but as I'm sure you're aware, the plaza was basically an elevated platform to make room for the concourse, about 15-20 feet above West Street and about 5 feet above Church Street. I think this design, having the memorial floor at the same elevation as the original lobby floor instead of the plaza floor, is the best idea.

Keep in mind though that the memorial plaza in that pic isn't the final elevation of the memorial. On top of this will be I THINK about 6 feet of dirt to allow for the 400 trees, then on top of that will be cobblestones. So, the final completed memorial plaza will be about 6 feet above where it is now.

Last edited by RKOwens; July 18th, 2009 at 08:04 AM.
RKOwens no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2009, 09:10 AM   #9459
punk_oi

Likes (Received): 6

this looks like it will be great...time for los angeles to get a new skyscraper
punk_oi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2009, 04:45 PM   #9460
IU
->

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
Your office is overlooking the WTC site...

I'm guessing there are going to be many more coffee breaks in the coming months. Nice Pictures.

It also faces the east side giving a nice view of WTC4 and the 123 Wash St. But since all the fat cats sit on that side, the only time to take pics is either early morning or in the evening.

btw I get done with my internship at the end of this month I'm in the NY region for a couple of more weeks after that so I'll probably visit the site at least 3-4 times in August.

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center