daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 24th, 2009, 01:03 AM   #9521
jcmaldonado13

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by totojuice View Post
I think they look just like Canary Wharf in London......not original or unique...
Maybe because they were designed by the same architect - Cesar Pelli !!
jcmaldonado13 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 24th, 2009, 02:18 AM   #9522
Zensteeldude

Likes (Received): 11

From the New Jersey side the WFC was just some junk that got in the way of our view of the Twin Towers. It did kind of grow on me though, the copper roofs were a bonus.
Zensteeldude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2009, 03:18 AM   #9523
jdbarber

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uaarkson View Post
They're by no means masterpieces, but I don't find anything offensive about the designs at all. If anything, they've become and iconic part of lower manhattan's skyline.
The exact same thing could have been said about the twin towers.
jdbarber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2009, 06:16 PM   #9524
Nomadd22

Likes (Received): 1

I was stationed on Governor's Island in 80/81. I used to walk on that abandoned elevated highway in the early days. It was so corroded you could break off 1" pieces of steel with your hands. Got to watch the WFC rise.
The fact that a building doesn't pander to your desires isn't a very objective reason to call it ugly. Failing to see what someone else finds attractive isn't the other person's loss or the building's loss. It's your loss.
Nomadd22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2009, 06:40 PM   #9525
Onn
BANNED

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadd22 View Post
The fact that a building doesn't pander to your desires isn't a very objective reason to call it ugly. Failing to see what someone else finds attractive isn't the other person's loss or the building's loss. It's your loss.
If we are taking that approach to life all the time, we're getting no where sir. Anything goes is not going to float. This is New York City we're talking about here. The financial hub of New York City! This is no times for silly designs. You really think major foreign companies would want to buy space in that today? This is supposed to be the “WORLD FINANCIAL CENTER”.
Onn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2009, 07:03 PM   #9526
Onn
BANNED

Likes (Received): 173

Also, they are doing the second half of the plaza pour today. Camera 2.

http://www.earthcam.com/usa/newyork/groundzero/
Onn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2009, 07:26 PM   #9527
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

glad to see that 1 WTC is coming along. when are you guys expecting it to take shape? this year already?
HK999 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2009, 07:28 PM   #9528
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1034

The construction will probably begin to resemble a skyscraper later this year. =)
Uaarkson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2009, 07:32 PM   #9529
Ben Button
'Just build'

Likes (Received): 2

On the evening of 9/11 in Manhattan, the smoke still visible high into the sky, there it was. The World financial towers, scared and wounded but still standing. The may not be the favourite to all of us and may not stand the test of time in the fashion stakes, but they did give a glimer of hope that we can repair and rebuild.

Last edited by Ben Button; July 24th, 2009 at 10:59 PM.
Ben Button no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2009, 07:33 PM   #9530
Ben Button
'Just build'

sorry, will go back on subject now
Old July 24th, 2009, 07:53 PM   #9531
deez

the WFC withstood the attacks because they were 600 feet shorter
than the twin towers. nothing poetic about that. dope.
deez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2009, 08:02 PM   #9532
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1034

I just had no idea that people hated the WFC design. It's really not bad at all.
Uaarkson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2009, 08:19 PM   #9533
Ben Button
'Just build'

Quote:
Originally Posted by deez View Post
the WFC withstood the attacks because they were 600 feet shorter
than the twin towers. nothing poetic about that. dope.
What I was just saying is that mabe they gave abit of hope. When the World Trade centre fell to the ground, they stood as hope. They terrorists can damage the city but they can't destroy it.

I don't come on this forum to be called a dope, so I hope you retract your comments. That kind of stuff belongs in the playground MATE...
Old July 24th, 2009, 08:34 PM   #9534
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Button View Post
I don't come on this forum to be called a dope, so I hope you retract your comments. That kind of stuff belongs in the playground MATE...
You just made it impossible for him to retract his statement by acting like a dope about it.
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2009, 08:51 PM   #9535
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 415

and back to a topic................

PORT AUTHORITY TO EXPEDITE CONSTRUCTION ON EAST SIDE OF WORLD TRADE CENTER SITE

The Port Authority took two significant actions today to expedite construction on the east side of the World Trade Center site, including work to clear the way for complete turnover of the sites for Towers 2 and 3, ending the Port Authority’s obligation to pay $300,000 a day in liquidated damages to Silverstein Properties. (The Port Authority turned over the site for Tower 4 in March of this year).

First, the agency announced that E.E. Cruz & Co./Nicholson Construction Co. LLC of Holmdel, N.J. will relocate a portion of a wooden retaining wall adjacent to the Tower 3 site, which will allow Silverstein Properties to accept final turnover of all of the sites for its office towers. The retaining wall was built to hold up the No. 1 subway box to allow for uninterrupted service while excavation work progresses beneath it. The work will be completed in the next four to eight weeks.

In addition, the contractor also will build a temporary concrete wall that bisects the Vehicle Security Center site to allow for excavation to begin on the VSC’s foundation while the 130 Liberty Street building is being deconstructed. This construction solution is necessary to mitigate potential delays of the VSC due to the ongoing delays on the abatement and deconstruction of 130 Liberty Street, which is being supervised by the Lower Manhattan Development Corporation. Construction of the wall is scheduled to begin in September, and the wall will be removed by October 2010.

Second, after an intense competitive bidding process, the Port Authority Board of Commissioners authorized an agreement with Tishman/Turner, a joint venture of Turner Construction Company and Tishman Corporation of New York, to provide construction management support services for the World Trade Center Transportation Hub at an estimated cost of $105 million. The firm will replace the services that previously were provided by Phoenix Constructors, which had been the construction manager and general contractor for the Hub project. The agreement came in approximately $10 million below engineering estimates.

In April, the Port Authority modified its contract with Phoenix to allow the agency to bid out all future contracts to take advantage of a highly competitive market. The change was made to ensure that the project remains on budget and on schedule.

Port Authority Chairman Anthony R. Coscia said, “We continue to explore innovative ways to keep all of the site’s projects moving forward and on budget. This construction management agreement carries out this strategy by providing critical support services for the Hub project for the next five years, which will help us meet the schedules and budgets that we’ve set.”

Port Authority Executive Director Chris Ward said, “We are taking aggressive action to end our site turnover obligations to Silverstein Properties. We are also proud to have on board a world-class construction management team in Turner and Tishman to ensure the WTC Hub remains on schedule and on budget.”

http://www.panynj.gov/wtcprogress/pr...adLine_id=1271
webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2009, 08:56 PM   #9536
deez

Quote:
What I was just saying is that mabe they gave abit of hope. When the World Trade centre fell to the ground, they stood as hope. They terrorists can damage the city but they can't destroy it.

when you come on here with a loud tag like yours, you certainly expect a reaction. well there you go.

As an example, I'm sure you'd say something to me if my tag said 'Gays are dumb', right? ok then.

anyhow, not wasting anyone's time here.
Old July 24th, 2009, 09:16 PM   #9537
Ben Button
'Just build'

Back to Skyscrapers
Old July 24th, 2009, 09:28 PM   #9538
deez

Quote:
Back to Skyscrapers
indeed
Old July 24th, 2009, 11:50 PM   #9539
potipoti
El de los aurones

Likes (Received): 13267

Quote:
Back to Skyscrapers
totally agree, less text and more pics
potipoti no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2009, 01:28 AM   #9540
IU
->

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
If we are taking that approach to life all the time, we're getting no where sir. Anything goes is not going to float. This is New York City we're talking about here. The financial hub of New York City! This is no times for silly designs. You really think major foreign companies would want to buy space in that today? This is supposed to be the “WORLD FINANCIAL CENTER”.
Sorry to once again derail this thread but the answer to this is YES. I work for a major foreign company that recently bought space at the WFC 1. The office is easily the best office operated by the company (we have 3) in the city and I love the environment. From the outside, I think it looks ok and simple. While the buildings share the same facade, they all looks distinct and not mundane. It definitely doesn't qualify to be called ugly or an eyesore.

anyways, I took some pics today. They were pouring on the north-east side today

July 24

lots of rebar was added yesterday-
IU no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center