daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 4th, 2009, 10:20 PM   #9641
Philly Bud
City Of Brotherly Love

Likes (Received): 246

Already an Icon

1WTC, although very tall, will not be the tallest building in the world. It is also very beautiful in it's modern refined simplicity, but certainly not the most beautiful building in the world ...

... but ...

... without a doubt, no other building is being recorded, photographed, videotaped, or observed throughout it's construction process more than this one in the whole world. Cameras are trained on this construction site 24/7/365.
When I was last in NYC a month ago, hundreds - maybe thousands - of tourists encircled the entire construction site photographing and recording the progress.

Last edited by Philly Bud; August 4th, 2009 at 10:35 PM. Reason: misspelling
Philly Bud no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 4th, 2009, 10:22 PM   #9642
Onn
BANNED

Likes (Received): 173

I agree that the projects are probably falling a little bit behind, they need more workers on the site. It's obvious from the webcams that there are about 50 or fewer people building the Freedom, and even less workers on the memorial. I don't think the projects are "2018" behind schedule, but they have a lot of work to do. I'm not as worried about the Freedom Tower as I am the memorial. That is supposed to be open in 2 years flat, and this summer is almost over.
Onn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2009, 11:06 PM   #9643
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1031

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
I agree that the projects are probably falling a little bit behind, they need more workers on the site. It's obvious from the webcams that there are about 50 or fewer people building the Freedom, and even less workers on the memorial. I don't think the projects are "2018" behind schedule, but they have a lot of work to do. I'm not as worried about the Freedom Tower as I am the memorial. That is supposed to be open in 2 years flat, and this summer is almost over.
Dude, there is no way you can know how many people are working on 1WTC by looking at the webcam, and I guarantee you it's far more than 50.
Uaarkson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2009, 11:12 PM   #9644
Onn
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uaarkson View Post
Dude, there is no way you can know how many people are working on 1WTC by looking at the webcam, and I guarantee you it's far more than 50.
Yes, but they should all be visible working. The Webcams are pretty good at picking out people on the site, and most days you don't see many. They should be having large concrete pours every week, not once a month. I’m not that surprised if there is some sort of secret report out there. They have tons of work to do just to get to regular floors, they still have to build the blast walls around the lobby. How long do you think that is going to take, judging by the ammount of time it takes for the core to jump? It's going to take months.
Old August 4th, 2009, 11:17 PM   #9645
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
Yes, but they should all be visible working. The Webcams are pretty good at picking out people on the site, and most days you don't see many. They should be having large concrete pours every week, not once a month. I’m not that surprised if there is some sort of secret report out there. They have tons of work to do just to get to regular floors, they still have to build the blast walls around the lobby. How long do you think that is going to take, judging by the ammount of time it takes for the cores to jump?
That has nothing to do with what I said. My point is that the majority of workers on this site aren't going to be visible, seeing as there is still an enormous amount of work to be done inside the structure and below it.
Old August 4th, 2009, 11:22 PM   #9646
Onn
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uaarkson View Post
That has nothing to do with what I said. My point is that the majority of workers on this site aren't going to be visible, seeing as there is still an enormous amount of work to be done inside the structure and below it.
I'm skeptical about that. There is still work that has to be done down there, I'm sure. But I wouldn't think it would hold up above ground work. It's not like anyone has released pictures of what is going on underground. And 4WTC is not going to be spending this amount of time underground, it's coming up this year.
Old August 5th, 2009, 12:37 AM   #9647
Rockmont

Likes (Received): 29

ncf

Last edited by Rockmont; August 5th, 2009 at 12:41 AM. Reason: to be deleted
Rockmont no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2009, 01:40 AM   #9648
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

My first trip to the WTC site, what a blast to see this all up close and not from a webcam. I must say, walking around the area and seeing the tightness of the streets, what a logistical nightmare. Buses, cabs, cars, sites like the Burj Dubai are a breeze compared to lower Manhattan. Here's a couple pics from this afternoon.

8-4-09

I'll post some more later, I got a couple of the NE Vesey side. Looks like their close to getting to grade level there.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2009, 02:58 AM   #9649
adam-albany

Likes (Received): 1

From the Port Authority:
Quote:
Press Releases
STATEMENT BY: CHRIS WARD, EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR OF THE PORT AUTHORITY OF NEW YORK AND NEW JERSEY, IN RESPONSE TO LETTER OF ARBITRATION FROM SILVERSTEIN PROPERTIES
Date: Aug 04, 2009
Press Release Number: 99

Silverstein Properties (SPI) has now rejected four offers that put on the table significant amounts of public investment to move their private office towers forward. All that was asked in return was for Mr. Silverstein to take on the same risk he was asking of the public and he could not even agree to do that. It is clear SPI will accept nothing less than two fully subsidized office buildings and that is irresponsible and unacceptable. This arbitration process cannot distract from that fundamental point - that SPI would rather have public dollars at risk in place of its own private investment.

The Port Authority remains confident that it is meeting all of its obligations under the 2006 Master Development Agreement, and we look forward to a decision from the arbitration panel resolving this matter. While this process is ongoing, we plan to complete the final turnover of sites 2 and 3 to SPI, which will end the agency’s $300,000 a day damage obligations and begin the clock on SPI to complete Towers 2, 3 and 4.

Mr. Silverstein’s press statement contention that delays on the World Trade Center site have adversely affected the financing of his office towers completely ignores the reality that we are in the single worst economic recession since the Great Depression and that developers all around the City are being forced to put their projects on hold and wait for the market to return. This is not something unique to the WTC site. In fact, the 2006 Master Development Agreement (MDA) called for final turnovers by the end of 2008, well after major financial institutions contemplated as anchor tenants at the site were no longer in existence and after the economic recession fully set in. The bottom line is Silverstein didn’t miss the market, the market missed Silverstein.

In the meantime, the Port Authority is on schedule to meet the completion dates in its October assessment. We will continue the daily and visible progress in building the Memorial, One World Trade Center, the Transportation Hub and the other public infrastructure projects the agency is responsible for. Already, more than 70% of the Memorial steel is complete and the pools and plaza are taking shape. One World Trade Center has over 200 feet of construction completed and the plaza is built to the front door. The Transportation Hub has installed 47 arches to build the East West connector, the Fulton Street deck is built, and the West Street tunnel has begun. And we are working around the ongoing delays in bringing down 130 Liberty Street in order to keep the VSC moving forward.

Port Authority of NY & NJ Media Relations
adam-albany no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2009, 05:32 AM   #9650
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Looks like the north core needs another pour before they can put that steel up.
Old August 5th, 2009, 05:45 AM   #9651
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

A few more shots from today,

8-4-09

spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2009, 07:21 AM   #9652
adam-albany

I love that last shot, where you can see the rebar coming up from the columns. I always wondered how they poured floors; it looks like the answer is surprisingly low tech.
adam-albany no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2009, 08:36 AM   #9653
philvia

Likes (Received): 33

you can see how thick the floor will be in that last shot with the green rebar
philvia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2009, 09:24 AM   #9654
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

The 2018 report really was BS.

The Freedom Tower is still on schedule with the October 2008 construction schedule.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2009, 09:45 AM   #9655
meh_cd

Likes (Received): 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by philvia View Post
you can see how thick the floor will be in that last shot with the green rebar
I think part of that may be for the plaza stairs, as well.
meh_cd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2009, 01:11 PM   #9656
Ebola
BANNED

Now I think the steel by the core may support the new crane.
Old August 5th, 2009, 01:18 PM   #9657
Machandro

What is the steel and platforms doing at the east side of WTC 1. Is this to install the 3th crane?
Machandro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2009, 01:22 PM   #9658
Machandro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebola View Post
Now I think the steel by the core may support the new crane.
Sorry Ebola, didn't see your line in time.
Machandro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2009, 01:57 PM   #9659
Ebola
BANNED

I'm still not 100% sure what it's for. I think it has something to do with the crane, as suggested by someone on WNY. Hopefully we will know very soon.

In any case, it's good to see everything at street level.
Old August 5th, 2009, 02:35 PM   #9660
armyv

Likes (Received): 2

Imo the third crane will stand on a rail track. First steel beams, than wood and at least the rail track.
So they increase the operation space.
Maybe we see the same on the west side in a couple of months.
armyv no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center