daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 13th, 2009, 12:28 AM   #9781
Coinpeace

Likes (Received): 13

They should make this thing 17760 Ft high! Now that would be a true monument to just how great freedom is.
Coinpeace no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 13th, 2009, 12:32 AM   #9782
Ukraine

Likes (Received): 505

don't you think it's a little bit too high
Old August 13th, 2009, 01:32 AM   #9783
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

Boy, it feels like this moment was never going to come. It'll be great to show the world the progress made on the tower come next months 9/11 anniversary.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2009, 01:34 AM   #9784
Hightech Pro

Likes (Received): 21

When are they going to install the other columns? How is the schedule for it?
Hightech Pro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2009, 01:53 AM   #9785
Onn
BANNED

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightech Pro View Post
When are they going to install the other columns? How is the schedule for it?
Not sure. They probably will install more columns in the coming weeks. They have to install the columns to continue construction, so that would mean soon. We'll see what happens tomorrow.
Onn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2009, 02:10 AM   #9786
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

I think they also have to make another core pour or two, install the framework steel on the northern part of the core (which may not be done until the end of September), and jump the tower crane before they can get started on above grade floors. The lobby is about 50 feet high.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2009, 03:01 AM   #9787
Onn
BANNED

Greenwich Boy again, Wired New York
Old August 13th, 2009, 03:08 AM   #9788
eddie88

Likes (Received): 55

they just mentioned this just now on NY1
eddie88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2009, 04:05 AM   #9789
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zensteeldude View Post
Those are work platforms for the Ironworkers. It's gona take some time to put the 200+ bolts in those connections. They may also be welded.

Coming back from vacation to this really makes the re-entry less painful !
I've been around a lot of construction sites and have never seen an elaborate platform and catwalk like that built just for the ironworkers to work on! Even with all of the safety precautions that are imposed these days this seems freely out of place. Any ironworker I know would be embarrassed to have something that fancy built just for them to do their work! Hopefully there is some other reason for it or else the PA has more money than they know what to do with and they should be using it to build towers 2 and 3!
Old August 13th, 2009, 04:16 AM   #9790
spectre000

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie88 View Post
they just mentioned this just now on NY1
I hope they had a positive spin on it. I saw former Sen. D'Amato on a show last week saying we should only be building a park on the site, nothing else. I hope they get many more columns up in time for Sep 11. I hate the thought of the "rebuild the twin towers" folks getting airtime. The public is finally going to see some real progress now.
Old August 13th, 2009, 04:28 AM   #9791
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

Those Twin Towers 2 imbeciles claim that they will do someting so big on 9/12 that it will get everyone's attention, stop construction on the FT and somehow magically get everything on the WTC site to be removed so the old towers can be rebuilt. They couldn't be any more delusional.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2009, 05:09 AM   #9792
Onn
BANNED

Apparently THREE COLUMNS ARE GOING UP TOMORROW

Quote:
70-ton column is largest installed at WTC tower

NEW YORK — Builders of the tallest office tower under construction at ground zero have set a 70-ton piece of steel into place — the largest column installed yet at the building.

Three more columns are set to go up Thursday, and 24 by the fall at One World Trade Center, also known as the Freedom Tower. The 1,776-foot-tall skyscraper is the largest of five planned to replace the trade center after the 9/11 attacks.

Each steel column — made at a factory in Luxembourg — is about 60 feet long. The columns at the bottom of the tower's foundation are about 35 feet long.

The new columns will bring the building's steel skeleton several stories above street level. The building is set to be finished in 2013.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...OLugwD9A1H9680

http://www.1010wins.com/PICS--Progre...s-Inst/4992165
Old August 13th, 2009, 06:17 AM   #9793
NewYorker2009

Likes (Received): 132

I have to say I'm impressed with the recent installation of the Jumbo Column at this Tower. For all those people out there that feel it is going slow they are right but to say there is no progress is totally unacceptable. People need to open their ******* eyes and they need to understand that this Tower has to be one of the strongest in the world. That means they have to add more concrete, more rebar, more steel, more everything. New York cannot take any chances at screwing this Tower up after 9/11. Most people thought the Twin Towers were indestructable but they weren't so this Tower has to succeed its predecessor. Two years ago I was complaining how slow this Tower was going and even last year bothered me but now One World Trade Center aka Freedom Tower is taking shape and it will be the best building this city has had in decades so I look forward to seeing it rise in the coming years.
NewYorker2009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2009, 06:28 AM   #9794
ElCrioyo
Ed.v.cas.baeZ

Likes (Received): 1668

if that shit slips it would instantly kill anyone with such weight...thats unbelivable how we have made machines capable of carrying 70 tons of metal!!humanity is so great

anyways, im very excited to see progress in such great and important place of lower manhattan. On sunday i went on the Staten Island Ferry, and i cant lie, it is still had for me to believe that there is such a gap in the lower manhattan skyline. Sometimes it is still hard for me to believe that the twin towers are gone, even though that happened almost a 8 years ago. considering that i was in the 107th floor twice before they got knocked down...but anyways, a feeling of happines gets to me everytime i see this tower rise, representing a new era for the capital of the world. nothing better than sweet NY!
ElCrioyo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2009, 06:30 AM   #9795
spectre000

3 Columns tomorrow! I'll be glued to the webcam again tomorrow.
Old August 13th, 2009, 07:28 AM   #9796
Zensteeldude

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell View Post
I've been around a lot of construction sites and have never seen an elaborate platform and catwalk like that built just for the ironworkers to work on! Even with all of the safety precautions that are imposed these days this seems freely out of place. Any ironworker I know would be embarrassed to have something that fancy built just for them to do their work! Hopefully there is some other reason for it or else the PA has more money than they know what to do with and they should be using it to build towers 2 and 3!
The PA has nothing to do with it, DCM signed the contract over a year ago ($276 million), Tower One is bought and paid for.

Would it helped if I said over 200 bolts, each one over 5 pounds is going into those connections above the work platforms, and as I said, I believe the connections are also welded, so welders need them too.

I have seen smiler platforms during bridge erection. I believe it's cause they are past the "3 floors" rule.

Last edited by Zensteeldude; August 13th, 2009 at 07:35 AM.
Zensteeldude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2009, 07:54 AM   #9797
adam-albany

Likes (Received): 1

It's also because the have no access to drive a cherry picker up to work from, and I'm not sure they make any that could go to the top of a 60-foot beam anyway.
adam-albany no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2009, 09:15 AM   #9798
brunob
USA until further notice

Likes (Received): 19

Huffpo has more pics:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/0..._n_258224.html
Old August 13th, 2009, 02:01 PM   #9799
Desparye

Likes (Received): 4

It's so awesome to see the pace begin to skyrocket. I went to the site about two weeks ago and already progress is noticeable.

I seriously cannot wait to see progress next year.
Desparye no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2009, 02:19 PM   #9800
yrades

Likes (Received): 3

New column delivered this morning.
yrades no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center