daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 19th, 2009, 09:18 PM   #9961
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
Originally Posted by CULWULLA View Post
just confirming some heights-
height to ob decks
390m,395m and 400m? has the ring an ob deck? 420m?
That sounds about right, it's about the same as the old towers. The ring reaches more like 430 meters, don't know if there will be an observatory there but it would be cool. The highest office floor is about 345m, the 88th i believe.
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 19th, 2009, 10:14 PM   #9962
stewartrama
the stoop- little jackie

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by webeagle12 View Post
wonna cookie?
yes please.
stewartrama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2009, 10:38 PM   #9963
Indyman

Likes (Received): 4

The very corner columns look smaller. If so what is the weight difference?
Old August 20th, 2009, 12:06 AM   #9964
bbtran72
Oh, come on!

Likes (Received): 2

if it is the same but shorter...bugstone said that each jumbo beam weighs over 2300 pounds per running foot and are approximately 60' tall...so you can do the math on that
bbtran72 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2009, 02:03 AM   #9965
Marco Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahmani View Post
Every 3 months I visit this topic hoping to see some change. Every 3 months I get disappointed...

I would love to visit NYC, once this building is complete. Yet, looking at the progress I do not think it would be soon. Perhaps in 2011.

Please I mean no harm, but it is almost un-America

n that this is taking so long to make.

Strong advice: start visiting the site every 7 months. Thank you.

Marco Polo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2009, 02:52 AM   #9966
ramvid01

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordpenguinton View Post
I mean design wise the Libeskind design was far superior, hell I'd prefer the Foster building to be the centerpiece tower over the boring Childs tower thing.
Thats your own opinion. Libeskind design was a peice of crap, and while Child's design isn't exactly ground breaking, at least the buildings roof height is significantly higher.
ramvid01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2009, 03:43 AM   #9967
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1031

Ugh. Just thinking about Libeskind's design makes me queasy.
Old August 20th, 2009, 03:47 AM   #9968
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10135

hey guys, heres a quick diagram ive drawn up on freedom towers construction progress.
let me know if you think ok or mistakes.
btw, i only count 84 actual floors?
ive scaled dimensions of elevations ect all heights are approx.do you guys want feet quoted as well?
(ive added ESB for comparison)
image hosted on flickr

Last edited by CULWULLA; August 20th, 2009 at 04:47 AM.
CULWULLA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2009, 04:01 AM   #9969
annawei
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

I am looking forward to watching this tower.Could someone post some pics for this building?
annawei no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2009, 04:56 AM   #9970
Onn
BANNED

Likes (Received): 173

Nice diagram CULWULLA. I hope you continue to do one for the remainder of construction, like with the Burj. Great idea.

Last edited by Onn; August 20th, 2009 at 05:06 AM.
Onn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2009, 05:06 AM   #9971
ilovecz

Likes (Received): 15

I am so glad that the building has started growing, though I think its design has aged a bit. But all in all it will still be a stunning building.

Quote:
hey guys, heres a quick diagram ive drawn up on freedom towers construction progress.
let me know if you think ok or mistakes.
ive scaled dimensions of elevations ect all heights are approx.do you guys want feet quoted as well?
(ive added ESB for comparison)
image hosted on flickr
ilovecz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2009, 05:17 AM   #9972
Onn
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovecz View Post
I am so glad that the building has started growing, though I think its design has aged a bit. But all in all it will still be a stunning building.
I wouldn't say the design has aged any, the tower is more an end of an era. Supertalls today are not really designed with weight in mind, but height and style. This is from the Taipei 101, Hong Kong International Finance Center/ Commerce Center, Shanghai World Financial Center, Jin Mao Tower generation. But, more over, the design is based around the original twin towers. Even if this tower were designed today, it would probably look something similar.
Old August 20th, 2009, 05:29 AM   #9973
ilovecz

Likes (Received): 15

My saying it has aged a bit is because several lower buildings have completed elsewhere and look somewhat similar to this one. I am sure they got the inspiration from Freedom Tower but they built first which makes the design a bit aged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
I wouldn't say the design has aged any, the tower is more an end of an era. Supertalls today are not really designed with weight in mind, but height and style. This is from the Taipei 101, Hong Kong International Finance Center/ Commerce Center, Shanghai World Financial Center, Jin Mao Tower generation. But, more over, the design is based around the original twin towers. Even if this tower were designed today, it would probably look something similar.
ilovecz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2009, 05:29 AM   #9974
Onn
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovecz View Post
My saying it has aged a bit is because several lower buildings have completed elsewhere and look somewhat similar to this one. I am sure they got the inspiration from Freedom Tower but they built first which makes the design a bit aged.
Which ones are you talking about?
Old August 20th, 2009, 05:38 AM   #9975
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

Culwulla, maybe this will help your diagram. Sorry for the huge file size. Their are smaller versions on the web, but this is the original one. Zensteeldude can probably verify the accuracy.

spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2009, 05:38 AM   #9976
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10135

guys, i notice the thread title says 108floors. ive only counted 84 from plans? there are 70 typical office floors of 4m each but flloors near base and top differ. some up to 12m high?
Old August 20th, 2009, 05:44 AM   #9977
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:

Yea, most sources say it actually has 86 but the 108 number is just for show really, floors 7-19 don't exist, neither do floors 94-99 and a few others, I got the info from the glass steel and stone website.

Cool diagram by the way.

Quote:
I mean design wise the Libeskind design was far superior, hell I'd prefer the Foster building to be the centerpiece tower over the boring Childs tower thing.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I thank whatever god there is up there that we have the current design, and that's a huge understatement! The old design was a 65 story office tower with cables, CABLES reaching up higher, this is a skyscraper, not a bridge. Those concrete cores would have probably been pretty ugly too, just awkward looking over all (and really half invisible), so was the shape of it. The new design is great I think, it's basically a blue glass box version of the original north tower, with slanted corners that make the building taper a little from certain angles but look like a box from others. The spire also looks very thick and dominant.

Last edited by Jay; August 20th, 2009 at 05:53 AM.
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2009, 06:51 AM   #9978
Coinpeace

Likes (Received): 13

Is this thing really being built faster? Im new to the skyscraper loop and I cant yet tell.
Coinpeace no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2009, 07:13 AM   #9979
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 61076

Yes it is, now the north core is finally catching up with the south core it means that the most difficult part of the construction is over. The North core is built on top of a working underground train line and that had a big impact on the speed of construction. Now that hurdle is taken they can go up faster, the south and north core can go up together at the speed from now on and they've started on the tower body with the huge steel beams that we all have seen in the fantastic pictures that where posted.
Momo1435 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2009, 07:50 AM   #9980
metsfan
Photographer

Likes (Received): 42

I really like the spire of this one. I can see it being in many movies, music videos, tv shows, and documentaries.

- A

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center