daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 17th, 2007, 06:45 PM   #1001
-POLLUX-
Germany

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestTexan87 View Post
What always just kills me about these forums, especially the poltically-charged ones such as the new WTC, is how so many people get on here just to bicker and fight with each other over ridiculous minute details. Who cares who's the best? Who cares who's got the highest density? Who cares whose buildings are prettier and blah blah blah. I love New York. I'll be the first to say it. The reason I check these forums is to see how the city is doing and how construction is going, but so often I find page after page of people rambling about ridiculous nonsense! Grow up and find something better to do than sitting at your computer picking arguments with other cyber people. Let the forums be for polite conversation, discussion, and photo sharing. I thought that was the point.

(Steps off soap box)

Anyway, I am so proud of NYC. I can't wait to watch the DT skyline transform. This will hopefully help reinvigorate the area, and it'll be so pleasant once all the construction has ceased. I was there in March and it was so noisy and dusty! I anxiously wait for 1WTC to rise above ground. Go NYC!

yes!!!! i totally agree! sometimes its like kindergarden when i read the posts here... we should be closer to topic and if we have questions- FIRST read the pages before, than asking everything 20 times!!!
and please- leave dubai ect out of this thread... this is ONE WTC!!! USA!!! not the emirates!

Highcliff liked this post
-POLLUX- no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 17th, 2007, 07:00 PM   #1002
Skyscrapercitizen
TIMBY

Likes (Received): 5421

A second crane, that's cool. I hope the tower will rise soon, can't wait till this part of NYC becomes city again.

Skyscrapercitizen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2007, 07:49 PM   #1003
alonzo-ny
Thermobaric Thagomizer

Likes (Received): 1188

Quality over quantity definitely rules here. NY and Chicago are getting beautiful calatrava, foster, rogers etc towers and already have historic empire state, chrysler and dubai gets endless tacky crap, they are welcome to it!

alonzo-ny no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2007, 08:17 PM   #1004
Rizzato
Blue Collar

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alweron View Post
Since Dubai is the number one skyscraper city today, this isn't that big news. .
so....since dubai is building so many skyscrapers, any other country's buildings dont matter? you're an idiot.

Rizzato no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2007, 08:18 PM   #1005
tobyas333

Likes (Received): 16

Hm the crane is almost complete :O

Last edited by tobyas333; May 17th, 2007 at 08:25 PM.
tobyas333 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2007, 08:19 PM   #1006
kon133

Likes (Received): 10

kon133 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2007, 08:23 PM   #1007
tobyas333

Okay here we are:

Last edited by tobyas333; May 17th, 2007 at 09:10 PM.
Old May 17th, 2007, 08:29 PM   #1008
soup or man
Avant Garde

Likes (Received): 864

Quote:
Since Dubai is the number one skyscraper city today, this isn't that big news. That looks quite nice yes, but the design should be bolder. For ex. BD has an unique design. This tower fits to NY well tho.
You deserve a smack in the mouth. New York will always be number 1 for skyscrapers.

soup or man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2007, 09:48 PM   #1009
WestTexan87
Plattsburgh to Abilene

Likes (Received): 8

So maybe I'm dumb, but what does a second crane mean? Are the cranes being used yet or are they just being made ready for use when the time comes?

WestTexan87 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2007, 10:13 PM   #1010
FastFerrari
I double dog dare you!!!

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
Since Dubai is the number one skyscraper city today, this isn't that big news. That looks quite nice yes, but the design should be bolder. For ex. BD has an unique design. This tower fits to NY well tho.
dont know if they are number one on any website or in many peoples opinion...i agree they have been building at an alarming and very fast rate...however they still have only 10yrs of expirence in this department, where as HK...NYC...CHICAGO...BUENOS ARIES...and many other have had skyscrapers for the last 50yrs

FastFerrari no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2007, 10:17 PM   #1011
soup or man
Avant Garde

Likes (Received): 864

^ NY and Chicago have been building skyscrapers for over 100 years.

soup or man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2007, 10:24 PM   #1012
fahed
Mr Anti

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Since Dubai is the number one skyscraper city today, this isn't that big news.
Perhaps you need to stop seeing too many amature new Indian movies.

fahed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2007, 01:58 AM   #1013
nygirl

Likes (Received): 430

Quote:
The difference between ny and dubao: Ny will always be building and growing whereas Dubai probably won't. For ex. Ny has been doing this shit for far longer and will be doing it for far longer long after Dubai stops which I am guessing will be sometime next decade. Guess what it takes a long time to gather up population and have continuous steady growth. Being built on the "chance of" isn't exactly the same thing. I'm betting on nothing coming to fruition over there. Cheers!

NAKED NEW YORK: A complete tour of New York City, 5 boroughs and immediate Metro: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2202

nygirl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2007, 03:27 AM   #1014
CrazyAboutCities

Likes (Received): 240

Quote:
This is New York not Dubai. Please STFU and focus on WTC complex.

CrazyAboutCities no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2007, 04:08 AM   #1015
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

http://www.downtownexpress.com/de_209/lookoutbelow.html
Volume 20, Number 1 | May 18 - 24, 2007

Look out below! Billions worth of building down at the W.T.C.

By Josh Rogers

Anthony Shorris pulls out a picture of the barren World Trade Center site from January 2006 as he raises his voice to talk over the noise created by the cranes and other equipment now working on the entire 16-acre sunken area.

“This is why people believed that nothing was happening,” Shorris, the Port Authority’s new executive director, said as he pointed to the picture. Now there’s about 500 people working on what is becoming an increasingly busy and crowded site. Shorris and Steve Plate, the Port’s director of W.T.C. construction, revealed two new details about the site’s plans during a tour they gave to Downtown Express last Thursday:

• If JPMorgan Chase makes a deal to build headquarters with large trading floors cantilevered over Liberty St. at the Tower 5 site, the extension will not cast any additional shadows on the small park planned for the southwest corner of the site.

• Only part of the memorial plaza will open in September 2009, the targeted completion date for the entire memorial.

“A portion of the plaza will open in 2009,” Plate said. “The museum will be a year or two after that.”
Plate said officials haven’t decided precisely where and how big the initial plaza area will be, and whether or not any of the plaza trees will be planted by 2009. The phased opening could relieve one looming problem in the current plans – finding a place for tour buses to park during the memorial’s first two years when the largest crowds, an estimated 7 million a year, will visit.

An underground garage is planned near the Tower 5 site, but construction on that can’t begin until the gradual dismantling of the former Deutsche Building is completed, perhaps by the end of this year.
Plate said the so-called bus gap problem contributed to the delay decision but it was not the only factor — it is also difficult to coordinate the opening of different components of the project, he said. The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which owns the site, is responsible for the construction of the memorial, train station and slurry walls needed to build the office towers. It will take control of the Freedom Tower after W.T.C. developer Larry Silverstein completes it at the end of 2011, under the current schedule.

Given the history of W.T.C. redevelopment, officials continue to be sensitive about acknowledging delays. The Port let Plate’s comments about the memorial stand for five days, until Downtown Express asked the W.T.C. Memorial Foundation for a comment about them. Within hours of the call, Steve Coleman, a Port spokesperson, contradicted Plate, the agency’s construction director, and said the entire memorial — the plaza, trees and the sunken reflecting pools at the footprints of the Twin Towers — would be completed in 2009. Coleman agreed the underground memorial museum will be finished a year or two later.

The foundation is a private organization whose chairperson is Mayor Mike Bloomberg. It is close to meeting its $350 million fundraising goal to help finish construction of the memorial, which it will run.
Officials also have not given up on solving the bus parking problem before the garage is built. Memorial Foundation staffers told Community Board 1 they have formed a committee with the Port, Silverstein, and the city Dept. of Transportation to look for a solution. The foundation also said the garage will not be finished until 2012, but the Port says it remains on schedule for an opening early in 2011.

Construction costs

Plate and Shorris said even with skyrocketing construction costs, they have so far managed to stay within the memorial’s budget but they added it was a fragile position since only 20 percent of the project has been contracted out.

“It’s not like nobody thought of inflation,” Plate said. Frank Sciame, a construction analyst who was recruited by the mayor and Gov. George Pataki to find cost savings in the memorial, was able to cut $285 million last year with only modest changes to the design, bringing the total price tag to $768 million. Sciame built in the rising costs as part of his estimate. In addition, the Port and the Lower Manhattan Development Corp. have set aside $90 million to cover cost overruns.

The Port’s leaders said buying steel and concrete has become like buying in a commodities market, and a nationwide construction slowdown does not help prices because they are competing with China and the rest of the world for materials.

Construction contracts for the Freedom Tower, which the Port is paying Silverstein to build, are about 50 percent completed so it is safer from cost overruns than the memorial. More and more steel is rising from the ground on the 1,776-foot tower, expected to become the world’s tallest building.

Shorris said progress on the site is exactly where it should be, but there are three steps needed before the reality reaches the public. The first has been taken — getting actual work underway. The second will come shortly — having cranes below street level — visible to passersby. The third should come next year when much of the site will be built up to street level and people can monitor the work themselves.

The Port is a bi-state agency created by Congress and is also responsible for the PATH commuter lines and many of the region’s tunnels and bridges. When Shorris was asked how much of his time he is spending on the W.T.C., he quickly said “ a lot,” before mentioning the man who hired him a few months ago to run the Port, Gov. Eliot Spitzer.

“There’s $16 billion worth of construction on 16 acres and we have a lot of emotional ties because we lost so many people…,” he said referring to the 84 Port employees killed on Sept. 11, 2001. “The governor asks about it constantly. Eliot’s been on the site a few times.”

By tradition, the New Jersey governor selects the Port’s chairperson and the New York governor picks the executive director.

Last year, the Port and city were concerned that Silverstein did not have the money to build the entire site and the agency renegotiated its long-term lease with the developer. Silverstein agreed to give up control of the two least valuable parcels — the Freedom Tower site and Tower 5 — some of the insurance money, and some of the tax-free Liberty Bonds, in exchange for retaining the rights to the three office sites and retail space on Church St. The Port is building the eastern “bathtub” slurry wall and must have the Tower 3 and 4 sites ready for Silverstein by Jan. 1, or pay him $300,000 a day while it finishes up.

Shorris said they are on track to have the sites ready right on time, which means one setback could trigger expensive fines. “That’s what we lose a lot of sleep over — delivering the site on time,” he said.
Old May 18th, 2007, 09:48 AM   #1016
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

"More and more steel is rising from the ground on the 1,776-foot tower, expected to become the world’s tallest building."

:, where he got that information??

Last edited by ZZ-II; May 18th, 2007 at 11:41 AM.
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2007, 11:21 AM   #1017
Tag_one

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-II View Post
"More and more steel is rising from the ground on the 1,776-foot tower, expected to become the world’s tallest building."

:, where he got that information??
If you watch the cam you'll see he's right. slowly but surely the foundation is taking shape. everyday you'll see steel being installed and concrete being poured at the former WTC site.
But becomming world tallest building; no, not really

Tag_one no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2007, 05:21 PM   #1018
tobyas333

Today: Two freestanding cranes

Old May 18th, 2007, 05:28 PM   #1019
kon133

Likes (Received): 10

I love old World Trade Center

kon133 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2007, 05:36 PM   #1020
Green Jello

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by kon133 View Post
I love old World Trade Center

Green Jello no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center