daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 6th, 2009, 04:30 AM   #10221
SouthmoreAvenue

Likes (Received): 23

???it says there's 512 pages, yet the most it lets me see is 511?!?!?must be my computer?

http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/h...ex.php?act=idx
SouthmoreAvenue no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 6th, 2009, 04:46 AM   #10222
Onn
BANNED

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthmoreAvenue View Post
???it says there's 512 pages, yet the most it lets me see is 511?!?!?must be my computer?
It's some sort of glitch, all the threads have this problem. There is no pg 512 (yet).
Onn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2009, 06:46 AM   #10223
OzFrog
Melburnian

Likes (Received): 56

I've just noticed in the earthcam pic that they've taken the roof off the PATH tracks that go around the South Pool... are they preparing to re-roof these so that the rest of the steelwork can be erected for the south end of the plaza?
Old September 6th, 2009, 08:27 PM   #10224
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzFrog View Post
I've just noticed in the earthcam pic that they've taken the roof off the PATH tracks that go around the South Pool... are they preparing to re-roof these so that the rest of the steelwork can be erected for the south end of the plaza?
Yes they are. Both the SW corner of the memorial and the N, NE section of the south pool should be finished sometime in the next few months. Initially the SW corner will only have work done during weekends.

Also once the big crane finishes the perimeter columns on the east side of 1WTC it will begin installing steel in the NE corner of the memorial and PATH station. That most likely won't start till early next year (but maybe December).
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2009, 09:07 PM   #10225
Hightech Pro

Likes (Received): 21

They also started the rebar work on the western south pool wall during last week.
Hightech Pro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2009, 09:54 PM   #10226
phuonghoang
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Good jobs! Good luck!
phuonghoang no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2009, 10:21 AM   #10227
Coinpeace

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightech Pro View Post
Dont be too euphoric about the recent progress, there is still a lot to do. I think we wont see any significant heigth changes until all the lobby columns are put up and plaza level is done. But I could be mistaken.
ok thanks 4 the update.
Part 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMEQiI7wLEE Part 4 is up :) 550m|110fl

My Youtube Channel:http://www.youtube.com/user/coinpeace

my building is getting up there :)
Coinpeace no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2009, 02:26 AM   #10228
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10141

this doesnt sound good
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...08/2679283.htm
Old September 8th, 2009, 02:33 AM   #10229
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1032

Oh god. Please no more of that "finished by 2018" bullshit. That will never happen.
Old September 8th, 2009, 06:57 AM   #10230
New Jack City
User

Likes (Received): 44

We'll hear more about the construction progress again as we approach September 11.
New Jack City no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2009, 08:13 PM   #10231
Onn
BANNED

Likes (Received): 173

RKOwens4, Wired New York

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Onn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2009, 08:49 PM   #10232
ElCrioyo
Ed.v.cas.baeZ

Likes (Received): 1670

the WTC is a prime example of why New York is loosing is top spot in the world to other cities like London. Why is it so hard to construct Skyscrapers today in a city like New York who had dozens of skyscrapers being built at the same time in periods like the 1930's. This people make such a big deal for every skyscraper built today in this city. This, slows downs growth and makes urban-renewal even more difficult. If New York doesnt get to work and starts to flourish again with new constructions then i dont see a bright future for this city i love.
ElCrioyo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2009, 09:33 PM   #10233
PDC1987

Likes (Received): 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCrioyo View Post
the WTC is a prime example of why New York is loosing is top spot in the world to other cities like London. Why is it so hard to construct Skyscrapers today in a city like New York who had dozens of skyscrapers being built at the same time in periods like the 1930's. This people make such a big deal for every skyscraper built today in this city. This, slows downs growth and makes urban-renewal even more difficult. If New York doesnt get to work and starts to flourish again with new constructions then i dont see a bright future for this city i love.
NYC could never build another skyscraper and it would still remain the most important city in the US and one of the most important in the world.
PDC1987 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2009, 09:48 PM   #10234
jereser
Qreck

Likes (Received): 4

exellent job, good photos
jereser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2009, 09:51 PM   #10235
Hightech Pro

Quote:
There are still lots of skyscrapers being built or planned in NY, but not supertalls.
Old September 8th, 2009, 10:30 PM   #10236
dark_shadow1
arctic tern

Likes (Received): 510

Quote:
London has nothing to do with skyscrapers. It doesn't have even a single supertall building right now- only a single one in early construction stages.
dark_shadow1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2009, 11:33 PM   #10237
UrbanImpact

Likes (Received): 1539

Quote:
First of all.............London has a lot of catching up to do to NYC, height wise. Also, a building loses it's cost effectiveness when you build at supertalll heights, which is why you don't see as many as we would like to here in the USA.

As far as the slow construction progress.............what's holding it up is/was 9/11 bureaucracy on what is appropriate to build and who is in charge/cleanup/investigation/construction, and the RECESSION is a big reason. Remember many parties are involved, The Port Authority, City, Developer, US Government etc. Certain buildings on site are having trouble to get financed because of this recession which is also effecting the construction schedule due to the various connections from the other areas of the site to 1WTC.
UrbanImpact no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2009, 11:49 PM   #10238
ilovecz

Likes (Received): 15

But in the 30's it seems constructions boomed because of the recession. Many iconic structures were built that time. Why this time everything slowed down, including construction? Just wondering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanImpact View Post
First of all.............London has a lot of catching up to do to NYC, height wise. Also, a building loses it's cost effectiveness when you build at supertalll heights, which is why you don't see as many as we would like to here in the USA.

As far as the slow construction progress.............what's holding it up is/was 9/11 bureaucracy on what is appropriate to build and who is in charge/cleanup/investigation/construction, and the RECESSION is a big reason. Remember many parties are involved, The Port Authority, City, Developer, US Government etc. Certain buildings on site are having trouble to get financed because of this recession which is also effecting the construction schedule due to the various connections from the other areas of the site to 1WTC.
ilovecz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2009, 11:54 PM   #10239
Hightech Pro

Well, if there was a big boom after the recession in the 30's, you should come back in a few years after the recent recession is over.
Old September 9th, 2009, 01:00 AM   #10240
Desparye

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
New York has plenty of modern buildings. New York is MUCH more confined than London is. You try putting a massive cluster of skyscrapers in an island 21km long and 4km wide, with a few areas of that strong enough to sustain tall buildings.

And also, there was way less taller buildings in the 1930's than today, not too mention historical buildings in the area PLUS the lifeline (PATH and a subway) of New York right under the site. And think of it this way; you have your medieval and Renaissance buildings in London, we have our art deco and internationalist buildings in Manhattan.

By the way, for proof of more modern buildings, check Midtown and even in the close proximity of ground zero. You'll find at least three buildings under construction near the World Trade Center site, plus tons of newer highrises and skyscrapers in midtown.
Desparye no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center