daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old September 9th, 2009, 01:18 AM   #10241
backupcoolm4n
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 129
Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desparye View Post
New York has plenty of modern buildings. New York is MUCH more confined than London is. You try putting a massive cluster of skyscrapers in an island 21km long and 4km wide, with a few areas of that strong enough to sustain tall buildings.

And also, there was way less taller buildings in the 1930's than today, not too mention historical buildings in the area PLUS the lifeline (PATH and a subway) of New York right under the site. And think of it this way; you have your medieval and Renaissance buildings in London, we have our art deco and internationalist buildings in Manhattan.

By the way, for proof of more modern buildings, check Midtown and even in the close proximity of ground zero. You'll find at least three buildings under construction near the World Trade Center site, plus tons of newer highrises and skyscrapers in midtown.


I would just like to correct you on two things, firstly may I say I agree with many of the things you said, but, I disagree with a few. You said that only a few areas of manhattan can sustain tall buildings, however this is not correct, under Manhattan lies the strongest rock in the world, Manhattan Schist, to be exact, almost any part of Manhattan if not any part of Manhattan is suitable for building tall buildings, probably more suited than any other place in the world. My second point is that you say New York is isolated, I agree on a global scale it is, but nationally, it is within 5 hours of Philadelphia, Boston, Washington D.C., Richmond, and many other places.
backupcoolm4n no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 9th, 2009, 01:38 AM   #10242
Desparye
Registered User
 
Desparye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 162
Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by backupcoolm4n View Post
I would just like to correct you on two things, firstly may I say I agree with many of the things you said, but, I disagree with a few. You said that only a few areas of manhattan can sustain tall buildings, however this is not correct, under Manhattan lies the strongest rock in the world, Manhattan Schist, to be exact, almost any part of Manhattan if not any part of Manhattan is suitable for building tall buildings, probably more suited than any other place in the world. My second point is that you say New York is isolated, I agree on a global scale it is, but nationally, it is within 5 hours of Philadelphia, Boston, Washington D.C., Richmond, and many other places.
I never said it was isolated, as I live in the suburbs of New York City myself, and know firsthand how close it is. If my wording appeared that way, I didn't mean it to. Even then, New York isn't isolated internationally, either. It's one of the most economically important cities in the world at this point in time.

And I was referring more to the area of brownstones between Midtown and Downtown, though that might have been misinformation from my father who used to work in the city. He said the bedrock wasn't as strong as the areas of Downtown and Midtown, which is why there isn't any buildings taller than a few hundred feet there. Seems that I've been lied to or misinformed for quite a few years, then. Thanks for the clarification.

Also, I apologize for going off topic.

Progress looks good.

Last edited by Desparye; September 9th, 2009 at 01:44 AM.
Desparye no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 01:49 AM   #10243
Onn
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: The United States
Posts: 1,544
Likes (Received): 173

Aren't there 3 supertalls going up in this development alone, two of which would be condsidered "the tallest building" in almost any city in the world? And people are complaining why...
Onn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 01:55 AM   #10244
Desparye
Registered User
 
Desparye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 162
Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
Aren't there 3 supertalls going up in this development alone, two of which would be condsidered "the tallest building" in almost any city in the world? And people are complaining why...
1WTC and 2WTC are going to be the two tallest. I forget the exact height of 3WTC, but it's definitely going to be in the top 5 if built.
Desparye no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 02:45 AM   #10245
spectre000
Moderator
 
spectre000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: St. Paul
Posts: 7,906
Likes (Received): 5171

Those are some great shots by RKOwens4. But I can't help thinking that were looking at almost 3 1/2 Years of construction. 3.5 years to build up 180 feet (from basement level). I hope the next 3.5 years go much better. We've been hearing forever that once it's above street level things will go much quicker, but...

The PA (and Tishman Construction) need to put up or shut up at this point.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 03:07 AM   #10246
adam-albany
Registered User
 
adam-albany's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 217
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre000 View Post
We've been hearing forever that once it's above street level things will go much quicker
And things certainly have.
adam-albany no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 03:46 AM   #10247
Krattle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 437
Likes (Received): 12

You seriously think New York could lose to London? What a joke! London is a completely different kind of city and it has a minuscule skyscraper district. New York is already so built up it's very hard to find new space to build, and in fact it's almost always necessary to tear down old stuff. The only city/cities that possibly beat New York in numbers of skyscrapers and density are Hong Kong and Shanghai. Tokyo in terms of density, but not height.
Krattle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 04:07 AM   #10248
Taiki24
Ars longa, vita brevis
 
Taiki24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 182
Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDC1987 View Post
NYC could never build another skyscraper and it would still remain the most important city in the US and one of the most important in the world.
No, not true. At some point it would be left behind in terms of density and relevance. True world class cities, like Tokyo, London and New York, are always building anew, staying ahead of the curve.
__________________
-The art of dancing stands at the source of all the arts that express themselves first in the human person. The art of building, or architecture, is the beginning of all the arts that lie outside the person; and in the end they unite.

-Havelock Ellis, The Dance of Life (1923)
Taiki24 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 04:44 AM   #10249
spectre000
Moderator
 
spectre000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: St. Paul
Posts: 7,906
Likes (Received): 5171

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam-albany View Post
And things certainly have.
hmm, have they really. Although its great to see new steel over the north core and six new perimeter columns. That's a months worth of work (first jumbo column went up August 12th if I remember correctly). I'd be amazed if the rest of the perimeter columns were put up by November 1st.

Last edited by spectre000; September 9th, 2009 at 04:54 AM.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 04:52 AM   #10250
backupcoolm4n
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 129
Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desparye View Post
I never said it was isolated, as I live in the suburbs of New York City myself, and know firsthand how close it is. If my wording appeared that way, I didn't mean it to. Even then, New York isn't isolated internationally, either. It's one of the most economically important cities in the world at this point in time.

And I was referring more to the area of brownstones between Midtown and Downtown, though that might have been misinformation from my father who used to work in the city. He said the bedrock wasn't as strong as the areas of Downtown and Midtown, which is why there isn't any buildings taller than a few hundred feet there. Seems that I've been lied to or misinformed for quite a few years, then. Thanks for the clarification.

Also, I apologize for going off topic.

Progress looks good.


actually you are partially right about the downtown and midtown thing, the reason for it isnt because the soil isnt good enough, its because there is a dip in the bedrock, anyway if u drill deep enough u will eventually hit bedrock, and as we know tall buildings can be built in those places as the Trump Tower SoHo is built pretty far from any buildings as tall as it.
backupcoolm4n no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 05:18 AM   #10251
RKOwens44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 140
Likes (Received): 0

Finally, I am back. For some reason about a month ago, SkyscraperCity kept saying I had the wrong password. I changed it twice and it never let me log in. Finally I just decided to change my username.

Anyway, like I was saying on the Wired New York forums, I recently toured the site and have a lot of pictures and videos that I'll be posting. To respond to the progress being slow, let me just saying that by following the construction on the webcams, they give you NO IDEA how massive the site really is and how much is going on. I arrived in the lobby of 1WTC around 6 o'clock pm last Saturday and saw two ironworkers welding the new tall perimeter column at the southeast corner to the column below. We took some photos and video and then went down into the museum and memorial plaza for about an hour and a half. We came back and they were still working on the same section. We talked with one of the construction guys for about half an hour, took pics with him, and the ironworkers were STILL at work on the same tiny section of just one column. I have no idea how long they were also working before we arrived and after we left. It's a labor intensive process. These guys were working well into the night too.

And the museum levels are way more massive than anything the webcams or pictures (which there are hardly any of) have shown. I was there last September and was stunned that all of this had been done in just one year. My pics will show some of the progress on the museum levels but I'll just say that it's much further along down in there. The concrete within the footprint of the North Tower is already poured on the lowest level, about half in poured on the middle level of the tower, the walls around the chiller plant and mechanical rooms are already going up... it's really coming along. Egh, what the hey, I'll go ahead and upload one pic now (though I need to sort through and resize about 140+). The great hall!!!

image hosted on flickr
RKOwens44 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 05:27 AM   #10252
RKOwens44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 140
Likes (Received): 0

By the way, that's the "last column" inside the white box. I found out they had to build an entire climate-controlled structure for it after all the photographers left last week in order to keep all of the "grafitti" (for lack of a better word) from being damaged by being in an open atmosphere. There are all kinds of A/C units on the side of the box away from the camera. Eventually it'll have a permanent climate-controlled box made of glass.
RKOwens44 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 05:30 AM   #10253
TXSkyWatcher
Registered User
 
TXSkyWatcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Terrell...30 miles east of Dallas
Posts: 659
Likes (Received): 42

I wish everyone had to read your post before they typed in 'slow progress'.....thanks for posting...can't wait see the pics!
TXSkyWatcher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 06:21 AM   #10254
spectre000
Moderator
 
spectre000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: St. Paul
Posts: 7,906
Likes (Received): 5171

Man I'm jealous. I was at the WTC site in early August. I definetly understand the scale of the whole project (and I still stand by my
statements the construction is very slow going). But nothing I can do about it.

RKOwens44 are you with a specific media group or an independent photographer/journalist? Will you be publishing your trip/pictures? Very cool stuff, I can't wait to be there again when it's all finished.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 06:42 AM   #10255
meh_cd
Registered User
 
meh_cd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 874
Likes (Received): 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre000 View Post
Man I'm jealous. I was at the WTC site in early August. I definetly understand the scale of the whole project (and I still stand by my
statements the construction is very slow going). But nothing I can do about it.

RKOwens44 are you with a specific media group or an independent photographer/journalist? Will you be publishing your trip/pictures? Very cool stuff, I can't wait to be there again when it's all finished.
He knows Joe Woolhead. I'm very jealous.
meh_cd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 06:45 AM   #10256
adam-albany
Registered User
 
adam-albany's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 217
Likes (Received): 1

Is that the original slurry wall on the right side of your photo, RKOwens? Also, is the survivors' stairway in place?
adam-albany no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 01:43 PM   #10257
bkzinho
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 18
Likes (Received): 0

At 6:40 AM a new jumbo column is arriving on the site as we can see on the webcam.
bkzinho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 02:24 PM   #10258
Nomadd22
Registered User
 
Nomadd22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Somewhere in New Jersey
Posts: 250
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkzinho View Post
At 6:40 AM a new jumbo column is arriving on the site as we can see on the webcam.
I'd wondered what they hauled those beasts on. I count six axles on the back. I guess the north erecting steel is high enough for the columns to attach to.
Does the tower crane assit with column placement?
Nomadd22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 03:26 PM   #10259
chuck23
Latino Zamboangueño
 
chuck23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: La Ciudad de Zamboanga, Filipinas
Posts: 5,572
Likes (Received): 3749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiki24 View Post
No, not true. At some point it would be left behind in terms of density and relevance. True world class cities, like Tokyo, London and New York, are always building anew, staying ahead of the curve.
I certainly Agree!
__________________
City of Zamboanga
'Asia's Latin City'
"The MOST IMPROVED Highly Urbanized City (HUC) in the Philippines"
~ National Competitiveness Council - Philippines (08.16.2017)


> INVEST NOW! <
chuck23 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 04:18 PM   #10260
RKOwens44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 140
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam-albany View Post
Is that the original slurry wall on the right side of your photo, RKOwens? Also, is the survivors' stairway in place?
Yeah. And yeah, the survivors stairway is in place. I took some pics of it.
RKOwens44 no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu