daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 29th, 2009, 01:44 AM   #10601
Vanzetti
go away

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercenary View Post
I don't know man, it looks like an ordinary building....I mean there is nothing iconic about it...

There was nothing particularly iconic about Twin Towers, except the fact that they are were in New York.
Vanzetti no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 29th, 2009, 01:56 AM   #10602
Zensteeldude

Likes (Received): 11

That's some good weed yer smokin there Vanzetti, now do be good, and share.

The Twins would have been a landmark in ANY city in the world. But they graced the skyline of New York for 30 years. Sure other citys had taller buildings, but New York had TWO giant ugly beautyful monsters !!!!!!!!

Last edited by Zensteeldude; September 29th, 2009 at 02:04 AM. Reason: not sphell so good after second bourbon
Zensteeldude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2009, 02:18 AM   #10603
JCRM2

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla Ranger NYC View Post

That doesn't look nice at all.. It looks like another high rise building is suppose to be there. I'm telling you, that is not suppose to put NY back on top with that mess! Dowtown always has the better looking skyline over Midtown pre 9/11 but I guess Midtown will still be the superior skyline after all. Damn Shame!
JCRM2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2009, 02:29 AM   #10604
adam-albany

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperfreak2 View Post
Now it has switched from the rocks on a roof view, to a correct image! That is only about two weeks old...
Hopefully the fact that they've switched it to an archive image means they now realize they have a problem and plan to fix it.
adam-albany no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2009, 02:39 AM   #10605
josh85

Likes (Received): 0

Hey,

I have been lurking on this board for some time - I have enjoyed all of your posts. I had a question concerning this building:

The recent renders that have been put up have the top of WTC1 with the spacecraft looking roof. Is that the roof, or is the other design the final rooftop?

Here it is in the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jn18gt-TeBs

I prefer the one from the video myself, but I haven't been able to find if they had decided since there are a lot of renders out there.

Thanks!
josh85 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2009, 02:47 AM   #10606
westmc9th
NYC=Amazing

Likes (Received): 6

Breaking news

the new crane is up really way up lol its huge i just walked home you cant even see the top on the live cam
westmc9th no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2009, 02:48 AM   #10607
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 415

Cops stalling Ground Zero rebuild

A nitpicking cop crackdown on concrete at Ground Zero is costing taxpayers millions and snarling construction at the already behind-schedule Freedom Tower and other structures at the site, cement suppliers say.

Cops harass their mixing trucks with inspections that take so long, the concrete starts to harden and can't be used, the firms say.

Suppliers say police hold some rigs at a weigh station for up to two hours, during which the mix begins to set, forcing the trucks to turn back without unloading.

They're also writing a flurry of tickets -- retaliation by Police Commissioner Ray Kelly in an ongoing turf war with the Port Authority, industry and police sources say.

The authority owns Ground Zero and patrols the construction zone with its own police force.

The NYPD sought to control security there but remains on the sidelines until construction of the Freedom Tower and other skyscrapers is complete.

"Ray Kelly and Mayor Bloomberg are trying to flex their muscles at the Trade Center site -- it seems they are intentionally holding the concrete pourers at the site," said Paul Nunziato, incoming president of the Port Authority's biggest police union.

Concrete-truck drivers say they've been pummeled with violations, some for seemingly minor offenses such as having a dirty license plate. One firm's fleet got hit with 46 tickets in a single day.

NYPD highway cops run a makeshift weigh station on Trinity Place, a few blocks south of a Ground Zero entrance gate, pulling over trucks as they approach.

"They are there four to five days a week," said a site supervisor for Tishman Construction, which is building the Freedom Tower. "They'll hold as many as 10 trucks a day."

Cops check permits and equipment, aggressively combing over vehicles, drivers say.

"They'll bust everybody who comes through there," said a driver for Ferrara Brothers Building Materials, which supplies concrete to the site's transportation hub and Tower Four. "A couple of times they held us for over an hour and we had to return. After 90 minutes, the mix is no good. One time they said my brake line was rubbing against a tire and they towed me."

Police also snag trucks at a security stop on Broadway near Cedar Street, drivers said.

The action is driving up taxpayer costs on a project that has already ballooned to $16 billion, industry leaders said.

"One day you have 300 union guys waiting on a deck to pour concrete," said a cement company executive. "They're all making $70 an hour and now they're all just standing around. Do you know how expensive that is?"

One expert estimated the damage at about $1.2 million per week, or some $25 million since the crackdown began in May.

And the glacial pace of construction slows.

The Freedom Tower's completion date has already been pushed back to 2013.

Work on the Freedom Tower began in April 2006. Three and a half years later, the structure rises about eight stories -- most of it steel frame.

"I built Trump World Tower, which is 92 stories, in 18 months," said Donald Trump. "I've done four floors in a week. What's happening at the Freedom Tower is a terrible situation."

"The idea that construction projects that are so vitally important to the future of our city . . . would become collateral damage in what is, essentially, a turf war is unconscionable," said Denise Richardson, managing director of the General Contractors Association of New York.

Asked about the ticket blitz, NYPD spokesman Paul Browne said, "No comment."

The weigh station was not in effect last week, leading some observers to speculate that an "armistice" is in the works.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/c...JGM2ag3i1w2qYJ
webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2009, 02:51 AM   #10608
westmc9th
NYC=Amazing

The cranes up its huge! cant even see it in earthcam

Last edited by westmc9th; September 29th, 2009 at 03:03 AM.
Old September 29th, 2009, 03:21 AM   #10609
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by westmc9th View Post
the new crane is up really way up lol its huge i just walked home you cant even see the top on the live cam
Quote:
Originally Posted by westmc9th View Post
The cranes up its huge! cant even see it in earthcam
is this a spam center? same thing in Wired forums....
webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2009, 03:31 AM   #10610
westmc9th
NYC=Amazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by webeagle12 View Post
Ummm no i just got excited by it is all sorry
Old September 29th, 2009, 03:59 AM   #10611
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5171

Quote:
I don't think those comments are spam. Nothing wrong with posting one's enthusiam.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2009, 04:40 AM   #10612
Kurtin

Likes (Received): 114

Quote:
Cops stalling Ground Zero rebuild

A nitpicking cop crackdown on concrete at Ground Zero is costing taxpayers millions and snarling construction at the already behind-schedule Freedom Tower and other structures at the site, cement suppliers say.

Cops harass their mixing trucks with inspections that take so long, the concrete starts to harden and can't be used, the firms say.

Suppliers say police hold some rigs at a weigh station for up to two hours, during which the mix begins to set, forcing the trucks to turn back without unloading.

They're also writing a flurry of tickets -- retaliation by Police Commissioner Ray Kelly in an ongoing turf war with the Port Authority, industry and police sources say.

The authority owns Ground Zero and patrols the construction zone with its own police force.

The NYPD sought to control security there but remains on the sidelines until construction of the Freedom Tower and other skyscrapers is complete.

"Ray Kelly and Mayor Bloomberg are trying to flex their muscles at the Trade Center site -- it seems they are intentionally holding the concrete pourers at the site," said Paul Nunziato, incoming president of the Port Authority's biggest police union.

Concrete-truck drivers say they've been pummeled with violations, some for seemingly minor offenses such as having a dirty license plate. One firm's fleet got hit with 46 tickets in a single day.

NYPD highway cops run a makeshift weigh station on Trinity Place, a few blocks south of a Ground Zero entrance gate, pulling over trucks as they approach.

"They are there four to five days a week," said a site supervisor for Tishman Construction, which is building the Freedom Tower. "They'll hold as many as 10 trucks a day."

Cops check permits and equipment, aggressively combing over vehicles, drivers say.

"They'll bust everybody who comes through there," said a driver for Ferrara Brothers Building Materials, which supplies concrete to the site's transportation hub and Tower Four. "A couple of times they held us for over an hour and we had to return. After 90 minutes, the mix is no good. One time they said my brake line was rubbing against a tire and they towed me."

Police also snag trucks at a security stop on Broadway near Cedar Street, drivers said.

The action is driving up taxpayer costs on a project that has already ballooned to $16 billion, industry leaders said.

"One day you have 300 union guys waiting on a deck to pour concrete," said a cement company executive. "They're all making $70 an hour and now they're all just standing around. Do you know how expensive that is?"

One expert estimated the damage at about $1.2 million per week, or some $25 million since the crackdown began in May.

And the glacial pace of construction slows.

Work on the Freedom Tower began in April 2006. Three and a half years later, the structure rises about eight stories -- most of it steel frame.

"I built Trump World Tower, which is 92 stories, in 18 months," said Donald Trump. "I've done four floors in a week. What's happening at the Freedom Tower is a terrible situation."

"The idea that construction projects that are so vitally important to the future of our city . . . would become collateral damage in what is, essentially, a turf war is unconscionable," said Denise Richardson, managing director of the General Contractors Association of New York.

Asked about the ticket blitz, NYPD spokesman Paul Browne said, "No comment."

The weigh station was not in effect last week, leading some observers to speculate that an "armistice" is in the works.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/c...JGM2ag3i1w2qYJ
Thats absolutely ****ed
Kurtin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2009, 05:45 AM   #10613
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

The entire issue about NYPD slowing down construction at ground zero is just hysterical and shows how really F_c_ed up NYC is! Their own agencies can't work together to rebuild something terrorists destroyed. Of course NYPD and FDNY are always having turf wars of one kind or another, one example of that is the fact that they both run rescue units for automobile accidents and such. That is just about as screwed up is this situation is.

Of course not only do disputes like this raise the price of everything but look at the price given as the hourly rate for cement workers! $70.00 an hour for that type of work is just ridiculous, even if that number includes all of their benefits it's exorbitantly high. No wonder everything costs so much in New York, the unions are driving the city to ruin. It's actually kind of a race to see who destroys it first, the politicians or unions. It will be a miracle if this building ever gets completed.
Old September 29th, 2009, 06:11 AM   #10614
mudvayneimn
Evry City Nds a Blk Box!

Likes (Received): 17

oops. To make it count. love the newer renders!

Last edited by mudvayneimn; September 29th, 2009 at 06:12 AM. Reason: wrong forum
mudvayneimn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2009, 06:21 AM   #10615
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1032

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell View Post
It will be a miracle if this building ever gets completed.
You've got to be kidding. Douchebag cops cause hiccups here and there, but that's no reason to think this tower won't be built.
Old September 29th, 2009, 02:48 PM   #10616
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uaarkson View Post
You've got to be kidding. Douchebag cops cause hiccups here and there, but that's no reason to think this tower won't be built.
You definitely take statements too literally!
Old September 29th, 2009, 03:23 PM   #10617
Viperfreak2
BANNED

Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uaarkson View Post
Don't freak. Judging by RBGZ, nothing major has happened today anyway.
I am freakin. I see on the non HD cam that a whole BUNCH more columns are already up and this new humangous crane is in full swing! (pun copyright Viperfreak 2009) I would LOVE to see it happening on the HD cam.

The story on the concrete trucks will bring bad publicity to the situation, where the mayor will be cornered at a press conference to say that he has just 'fixed' the situation and make it look like he is the savior....same story over and over. Politics sux.
Viperfreak2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2009, 04:37 PM   #10618
adam-albany

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:

The post does this every article about the Freedom Tower, and it drives me nuts. The date's been 2013 for a long time, and April 2006 is when Silverstein and the PANYNJ agreed on a plan -- NOT when construction began in earnest.

As for Trump, I doubt any of his towers were designed to withstand what 1WTC will be capable of withstanding.
adam-albany no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2009, 04:49 PM   #10619
Marutokung!

Likes (Received): 15

Nice
Old September 29th, 2009, 05:04 PM   #10620
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

Quote:
wow, cement workers earn $70!!! damn, no wonder the U.S. are in trouble...

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center