daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 30th, 2009, 03:12 PM   #10641
Viperfreak2
BANNED

Likes (Received): 48

Dearest Earthcam: Your HD cam has been down now for yet another week. It is funny to look and see the tower being taken apart. I mean the steel structure above the north core has been removed and some of the large outer columns that were installed weeks ago are missing! I know that this technology is difficult and budgets are tight, but could you please display "Camera Broken" instead of a three week old picture? Who do you think you are fooling? I guess the advertisers (Google) who pay to put stuff next to your "live" broadcast.
Viperfreak2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 30th, 2009, 04:21 PM   #10642
econ_tim

Likes (Received): 100

Viperfreak2,

You realize this thread isn't the Earthcam complaints department and that it's likely that no one from Earthcam reads this, right?

From GreenwichBoy at wirednewyork

econ_tim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2009, 07:19 PM   #10643
Viperfreak2
BANNED

Sorry, I just get frustrated when I can't see what's going on. I will keep my complaints to myself. NORMALLY, I look at the HD cam then come here to comment on what I see happeneing. I thought quite a few others did the same. It was my main souce of info.

Besides informing others (who will then complain directly to Earthcam) and getting some quicker action.
Old September 30th, 2009, 07:22 PM   #10644
Stevonga90

Likes (Received): 2

They should have rebuilt the Twin Towers, because right now, what is going on at GZ is a disgrace!
There is a plan called the Twin Towers II
Stevonga90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2009, 07:38 PM   #10645
rack776

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevonga90 View Post
They should have rebuilt the Twin Towers, because right now, what is going on at GZ is a disgrace!
Read the first post on the first page......
Old September 30th, 2009, 07:40 PM   #10646
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 240801

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_cd View Post
Did you guys forget how in the winter of 2007/2008 they poured bad concrete in the north core and had to jackhammer it all out? If the tower is supposed to have some of the strongest concrete on the planet, they should make sure the concrete companies aren't scamming them. That being said, I'm sure there's plenty of corruption in the NYPD as well.
I dont think that police checking for the concrete either; probably they checking them for safety reasons, because those trucks carrying heavy items for enouph miles in NYC roads...
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2009, 07:45 PM   #10647
dark_shadow1
arctic tern

Likes (Received): 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevonga90 View Post
The original Twin Towers have boring design. They were iconic because they were two of the tallest buildings on earth- but nowadays, with hundreds of supertall projects- they won't be very iconic anymore.
This one would have been better, but sadly, it's too late now to change the plan:
dark_shadow1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2009, 07:56 PM   #10648
sundrop74
Skyscraper Aficionado

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_shadow1 View Post
The original Twin Towers have boring design. They were iconic because they were two of the tallest buildings on earth- but nowadays, with hundreds of supertall projects- they won't be very iconic anymore.
This one would have been better, but sadly, it's too late now to change the plan:
Freakin' gorgeous. They should certainly have done this. It is instantly recognizable as New York.
sundrop74 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2009, 08:08 PM   #10649
McGrupp34

Likes (Received): 1

correct me if im wrong but this is a thread about the construction currently going on at the site right? not whether the twins would be better than the single... grow up, get over it, understand that what we are getting will be instantly recognizable as NYC in the future, just as the original twins were... back to subject... This battle over who has jurisdiction over the site between the PA and NYPD is ridiculous, arent both parties interested in returning the site to its working finished state, cant people just get along to accomplish a goal, and then get back to their bickering afterwards... WTF...

Last edited by McGrupp34; September 30th, 2009 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Added stuff
McGrupp34 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2009, 09:14 PM   #10650
oli83

Likes (Received): 1000

I really like this picture, because it is the first one which shows the big manitowoc crane in action!

From wirednewyork:

oli83 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2009, 09:16 PM   #10651
Zensteeldude

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by econ_tim View Post
Viperfreak2,

You realize this thread isn't the Earthcam complaints department and that it's likely that no one from Earthcam reads this, right?

From GreenwichBoy at wirednewyork

Those columns are the inner wall of the air plenum that runs from the 3rd floor all the way up to the underside of the 20th floor. All four sides well have em.

Yes I ment to re-post the pic, get things back to construction.
Zensteeldude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2009, 09:24 PM   #10652
Viperfreak2
BANNED

I can (barely) see that the south west corner has at least three of the large columns installed by the new crane. Anyone got a current picture?
Old September 30th, 2009, 09:44 PM   #10653
oli83

the south west corner is visible from the rebuildgroundzero cam (http://rebuildgroundzero.org/webcam/rgz_000.jpg), from there it doesn't look like a large column is installed there. maybe you mean the north west corner?
Old September 30th, 2009, 10:33 PM   #10654
Yorkshire Boy
─ ★★★★★ ─

Likes (Received): 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrupp34 View Post
correct me if im wrong but this is a thread about the construction currently going on at the site right? not whether the twins would be better than the single... grow up, get over it, understand that what we are getting will be instantly recognizable as NYC in the future, just as the original twins were... back to subject... This battle over who has jurisdiction over the site between the PA and NYPD is ridiculous, arent both parties interested in returning the site to its working finished state, cant people just get along to accomplish a goal, and then get back to their bickering afterwards... WTF...
Chill ya beans. The guy was only having a little imagination. Gees.
Yorkshire Boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2009, 10:42 PM   #10655
Viperfreak2
BANNED

You are correct Oli83. What is the new crane doing if not installing big columns?
Old September 30th, 2009, 11:22 PM   #10656
oli83

I think it will start with the installation of the big columns pretty soon. Then it will be interesting to see if they will catch up with the eastern side, where the installation of smaller columns for the second floor has already begun.
Remember that it is just a few days that the installation of the crane itself has been completely finished. Maybe some more work on it was needed that could not be seen from outside until it can come into full operation. Other possibility: the steel columns have a delay of a few days.
Old September 30th, 2009, 11:42 PM   #10657
Zensteeldude

I guess you didn't read my post on this page. Those smaller columns are sitting on the 3rd floor.
Old October 1st, 2009, 12:06 AM   #10658
oli83

Oh sorry, I didn't notice that you wrote '3rd'. Then maybe you can explain the drawing, which you posted some pages before, to me:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/3935120605/

Does this mean, that the second floor is constructed below the level which is covered with metal plates right now? Because if the smaller columns belong to level three, where is/will be level two?? I would be grateful if you could clear this up for me (and maybe some others..)
Old October 1st, 2009, 12:16 AM   #10659
Zensteeldude

That's correct, below the 3rd floor with all the decking on it. The second floor hangs from the 3rd floor and the core, never reaching the perimeter.

PS: the "metal plates" are corrugated sheet metal called decking, it well hold the cement of the floor slab in place untell it sets up. It looks shiny because it is galvanized.(I know it is very difficult to see from the web cams)

http://www.dek-ing.com/images/1.5HSBROOFDECK.gif

The pic shows a one foot long sample.

it comes in 20' or 24' lengths and is usually cut to size before being delivered to the job site. They come in either 2 foot or 3 foot widths.

Last edited by Zensteeldude; October 1st, 2009 at 12:42 AM.
Old October 1st, 2009, 12:42 AM   #10660
Coinpeace

Likes (Received): 13

what floor does those highest support beams reach atm?
Part 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMEQiI7wLEE Part 4 is up :) 550m|110fl

My Youtube Channel:http://www.youtube.com/user/coinpeace

my building is getting up there :)
Coinpeace no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center