daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 21st, 2009, 03:44 AM   #11081
Bobdreamz

Likes (Received): 2820

[QUOTE=DrewHallam;44917146]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desparye View Post
All you've done on here is complain about how slow the project is, and how nothing has changed in nine months. So how about some evidence, yes?

Is that all you've got to show for nine months work. Look around at the rest of the world and see projects just as big go up 50 or 60 floors in that time. You lazy bastards I rest my case.
I have reported you to the administrators for your very rude comments. 20 posts and you act like a fool. Expect to be banned soon troll.

Sponsored Links
Old October 21st, 2009, 03:47 AM   #11082
TXSkyWatcher

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewHallam View Post
Don't ask that question lol. These Americans get a bit touchy when people ask that - they think it's America bashing when all we wamt to know is WHY IS THIS GOING SO SLOW. Probably the slowest construction I have ever seen.
Yep, now I DEFINITELY have the largest ignore list on the site. If you had half a brain you'd know why it's taking so long and no, it has nothing to do with where we live, it's just plain old common sense which you obviously HAVE ZERO OF. Nice talkin' to ya....CYA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdago View Post
WOW! Insulting 300 mil people in an internet forum! You've got guts!
I guess it needs a lot of balls and brain to do that! congrats!
Can we ban the troll?
Just ignore them by accessing their profile/user lists/ignore.....they're morons and don't belong on the site, but asking the mods to ban them might not happen as fast as the ignore button.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_cd View Post
Added them to the ignore list and reported them. Not much else to do.
Apparently a column or two went up today. That should leave three.
I miss the high def earthcam more than I thought I would.
Good idea about reporting them....never thought of that one!

Last edited by TXSkyWatcher; October 21st, 2009 at 04:01 AM.
TXSkyWatcher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2009, 05:17 AM   #11083
Onn
BANNED

Likes (Received): 173

3 Jumbo Columns left!

RoldanTTLB, SSP:

Onn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2009, 05:23 AM   #11084
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1034

3 to go
Old October 21st, 2009, 05:52 AM   #11085
Moby_

Likes (Received): 5

thanks for the pics Onn
btw what kind of kamera do you use?
Moby_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2009, 07:56 AM   #11086
micrip

Likes (Received): 1051

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uaarkson View Post
3 to go
Running a bit ahead of the plan, aren't they? Did I see many pages ago that the columns wouldn't be finished until mid-November? Looks like they are getting ready to pour more of the plaza, too.
Old October 21st, 2009, 08:17 AM   #11087
Onn
BANNED

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby_ View Post
thanks for the pics Onn
btw what kind of kamera do you use?
Sorry, they are not mine. I reposted someone else’s pictures. If I could take pictures of this project I would.
Onn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2009, 08:19 AM   #11088
adam-albany

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
All these reasons i took into account for the 18 months it took to construct up to ground level. But then it should have started to rise quite quickly but another year has gone by and construction is still at the lobby. I know they are going for a steel frame and a core so i can imagine it taking twice as long but nothing height wise has really happened for nine months.
The first 200 feet in height are basically a concrete fortress to withstand street level bombings similar to the van bombing of the 1993 WTC attack. This requires highly redundant construction that is much more involved than the average supertall that doesn't share these security concerns. After the first 200 feet, the pace of construction should more closely mirror similar buildings.

I'm assuming you're from the Windermere in the northwest of England, to which I can only say that it must be tough for someone from such a rural area to appreciate the complexities of building in the densest real estate in the entire world.
adam-albany no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2009, 11:34 AM   #11089
Littlemob

Likes (Received): 7

Nice burn that will shut them up.
Littlemob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2009, 02:37 PM   #11090
DrewHallam
Skyscraper enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam-albany View Post
The first 200 feet in height are basically a concrete fortress to withstand street level bombings similar to the van bombing of the 1993 WTC attack. This requires highly redundant construction that is much more involved than the average supertall that doesn't share these security concerns. After the first 200 feet, the pace of construction should more closely mirror similar buildings.

I'm assuming you're from the Windermere in the northwest of England, to which I can only say that it must be tough for someone from such a rural area to appreciate the complexities of building in the densest real estate in the entire world.
Yes you are probably right... allthough I have friends in New York and visit every few years. I love Manhattan - so much going on and the skyscrapers allways impress me. I guess i just get a bit impatient with all construction- even in London, I see a project and I forget it takes a few years before they are built. Sorry if some of my posts seem a bit harsh
DrewHallam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2009, 03:01 PM   #11091
Nomadd22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
Sorry, they are not mine. I reposted someone else’s pictures. If I could take pictures of this project I would.
Ah....the old Kensington right click camera.
Thanks for finding the photos Onn. Makes up for Earthcam's lack of interest.
Nomadd22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2009, 06:27 PM   #11092
adam-albany

Quote:
Yes you are probably right... allthough I have friends in New York and visit every few years. I love Manhattan - so much going on and the skyscrapers allways impress me. I guess i just get a bit impatient with all construction- even in London, I see a project and I forget it takes a few years before they are built. Sorry if some of my posts seem a bit harsh
I think that's the main thing: people usually don't take notice of a skyscraper until it's already climbing into the sky. People not only took notice of this one a lot earlier, but they have a firm date to point back toward: September 11, 2001. It's easy to forget the amount of time eaten up by search and recovery for bodies and clearing up the debris from the collapse, the time wasted by the failed Lower Manhattan Development Corporation which proposed one problematic design after another, and the complexities that arose from rebuilding the subway and commuter rail lines before building the foundations for the new buildings.

Since power was consolidated to the two entities with an actual financial stake in the site -- the Port Authority, which owns the land, and Silverstein, who holds the lease -- things have actually moved as fast as can be expected given the size, scope and special considerations of this site. Before my father retired from the state, he worked on the Route 9A realignment adjacent to the site. It gave him nightmares. He said the complications compared to working on roads elsewhere in the city, much less elsewhere in the state, was unbelievable.
adam-albany no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2009, 07:50 PM   #11093
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 241031

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
The crane from that photo its probably moved little to the right or not...?
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2009, 08:19 PM   #11094
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by christos-greece View Post
The crane from that photo its probably moved little to the right or not...?
nope
webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2009, 09:25 PM   #11095
Britney Spears Rocks

Likes (Received): 0

Hopefully they finish the last three perimeter columns by the end of this week or beginning of next week

BTW by the looks of rbgz webcam, they began laying the decking down of floor five
Britney Spears Rocks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2009, 10:27 PM   #11096
Desparye

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Well unlike the newer generation of cities with supertalls, cities like New York and London are EXTREMELY dense, plus you have to take into account for historical structures nearby. An exception to the density rule is Hong Kong, but then again, it happens to be in a country with two billion people. And Dubai is in the desert, so it's not exactly dense there.

And of course, what you said besides the American bashing wasn't too harsh. :P
Desparye no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2009, 10:28 PM   #11097
Britney Spears Rocks

and somebody from wiredny also said that another column was lifted today!!

excellant progress lately! this building is really taking shape! I beleive by this time next year we'll be well above ground! atleast 20 or 30 floors! maybe more?
Old October 21st, 2009, 10:47 PM   #11098
Desparye

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britney Spears Rocks View Post
and somebody from wiredny also said that another column was lifted today!!

excellant progress lately! this building is really taking shape! I beleive by this time next year we'll be well above ground! atleast 20 or 30 floors! maybe more?
It's supposed to be topped out toward the end of 2011, so your estimate is about right, maybe a little more. With the "floor a weeK" schedule, you could expect about 52 floors in a year, and the tower in reality is only 86 floors (correct me if I am wrong, please).

Now that I think about it, I think there was something a few pages back about it being up to the 58th floor by Q4 2010.

Hope that helped. ^_^;
Desparye no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2009, 11:04 PM   #11099
Britney Spears Rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desparye View Post
It's supposed to be topped out toward the end of 2011, so your estimate is about right, maybe a little more. With the "floor a weeK" schedule, you could expect about 52 floors in a year, and the tower in reality is only 86 floors (correct me if I am wrong, please).

Now that I think about it, I think there was something a few pages back about it being up to the 58th floor by Q4 2010.

Hope that helped. ^_^;
Thank you=] I believe the tower is 102 floors with about 86 floors of office space, the rest of the floors will be mechanical and two floors dedicated to observation and a restaurant. I just wanna see pics of that new column that went up today!
Old October 21st, 2009, 11:38 PM   #11100
Zensteeldude

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britney Spears Rocks View Post
Hopefully they finish the last three perimeter columns by the end of this week or beginning of next week

BTW by the looks of rbgz webcam, they began laying the decking down of floor five
That would be a neat trick seeing as how the east side is only up to the 4th floor.
Zensteeldude no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center