daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 24th, 2009, 03:20 PM   #11161
chuck23
Latino Zamboangueño

Likes (Received): 3745

Is construction getting faster???
~ National Competitiveness Council - Philippines (08.16.2017)

> INVEST NOW! <
chuck23 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 24th, 2009, 05:16 PM   #11162
friendsofthecity

Likes (Received): 690

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yazoo View Post
Going to take pictures either today or tomorrow, any requests as far as angles?
I would like to request for photos of every angle.
friendsofthecity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2009, 08:01 PM   #11163
DanielG!

Likes (Received): 448

A lot of progress seen!

Hope it start rising soon. The building It's going to be super stunning. Congrats.

BTW I see almost finished the structure of the WTC memorial, don't you think It's going to be finished earlier?
DanielG! no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2009, 10:44 PM   #11164
vano-2005

Likes (Received): 32

building grow very slow
vano-2005 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2009, 10:58 PM   #11165
meh_cd

Likes (Received): 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by vano-2005 View Post
building grow very slow
Awesome, I missed your worthless post from a day ago. Be sure to keep us updated!
meh_cd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2009, 12:59 AM   #11166
migöl

Likes (Received): 889

Quote:
0% progress seen
are you blind or something?=... they are at like 30m high... so I don´t thing there is 0% progress... its true they are very slowly but now you can see a real progress.
migöl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2009, 02:27 AM   #11167
Soroban
Ah! Megami-Sama fan

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
building grow very slow
I agree. Very, very slow.
Soroban no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2009, 04:10 AM   #11168
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2622

Quote:
building grow very slow
Very slow =//= 0% progress.

Make up your mind, will you?
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2009, 12:59 PM   #11169
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Likes (Received): 752

Can you people just ignore posts like those?
Why the hell are you repeating this story on every single page?
Every single day some moron will say how slow it is...
They doing this on purpose just to see your angry posts...

Be smarter and ignore them..

Now drop it and get back on topic..
DinoVabec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2009, 02:58 PM   #11170
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoVabec View Post
Can you people just ignore posts like those?
Why the hell are you repeating this story on every single page?
Every single day some moron will say how slow it is...
They doing this on purpose just to see your angry posts...

Be smarter and ignore them..

Now drop it and get back on topic..
"ignore" button works wonders . 5 people in last 10 pages, not that bad

thanks meh_cd
webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2009, 04:39 PM   #11171
westmc9th
NYC=Amazing

Likes (Received): 6

alright lets get back on topic everyone freedom tower has done a lot the past 2 months!
westmc9th no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2009, 07:01 PM   #11172
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Likes (Received): 752

They continue work on the hole of south tower on the memorial...
DinoVabec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2009, 07:47 PM   #11173
Swiddle

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoVabec View Post
They continue work on the hole of south tower on the memorial...
I noticed that too. The truck-mounted crane is extended and moving around as beams are being installed close to where the "drain" will be in the south pool. Visible progress in that area has appeared to be very slow to me over the last few months. Guess it will speed up once the tracks are completely covered.

Does anyone know why the structure on the east side of the south pool is made of steel that is colored gray? (Most of the steel for the memorial and 1WTC is rust-colored, brown, or red.) The structure also appears to be much more substantial, with its horizontal beams spaced closer together. Is it going to be a parking garage?
Swiddle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2009, 08:19 PM   #11174
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

From wtcprogress.com, here is a Q&A that discusses the memorial construction schedule.

http://www.panynj.gov/wtcprogress/q_...oconnor_2.html

Thomas J. O’Connor is a senior engineer of construction for the World Trade Center Construction Department and is responsible for managing the construction of the National September 11 Memorial & Museum.

Mr. O’Connor has nearly 30 years of experience in project management and engineering construction activities, including the restoration of the temporary World Trade Center PATH Station and major construction projects at John F. Kennedy International and LaGuardia airports.

Q. Now that we’ve just passed the eighth anniversary of 9/11, I’m trying to find out when work on the plaza finishes – such as the trees and waterfalls – will begin? -- Michael, Brooklyn, N.Y.

A. Michael, if you take a look at our Web site – www.wtcprogress.com - you can see the substantial progress we’ve made to build the Memorial in just one year. We’ll keep up the aggressive pace we’ve set during this upcoming year. To answer your specific question, by the 9th anniversary, we’ll have work underway on the Plaza finishes, beginning with stonework on the two signature reflecting pools.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q. I am following the construction of this project and find it remarkable. So much water cascading will surely be dramatic, both the sound of falling water and the visual appearance of it. Will the falls operate year-around, day and night? How much water is required to cascade in order to give the right effect? How will they light the pools at night? In how many years will the pools be in operation? –- Victor, Scarsdale, N.Y.

A. I’m sure others who have seen the renderings of the Memorial on the Web site will agree that it will be a beautiful, contemplative public space once it is complete. Once the Memorial Plaza is open on the 10th anniversary, the waterfalls will operate 24/7, 365 days a year. Each waterfall will pour 40,000 gallons of water per minute, which could fill an Olympic-sized pool in eight minutes. Lights in the interior of the pools will illuminate the waterfalls.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q. Is there a scheduled date to return the tridents to the site? –- Franklin, TN

A. The tridents you refer to are the signature pieces of steel that resemble tuning forks that were recovered from the remains of the Twin Towers and preserved for the past eight years. These jumbo steel columns will be returned to the site in the 4th Quarter of 2010 and will be displayed in the Memorial Pavilion.

Q. When visitors go down to the bottom of the bathtub and enter the North Pool, will they be able to see and touch the remains of the perimeter columns and core columns? –- Orlando, FL

A. The perimeter column remains from the former 1 World Trade Center are among the key artifacts we’ve preserved on the site. They will be visible in the Museum and visitors will be able to walk around the perimeter columns surrounding the pools.

Q. When will the south tower reflecting pool be finished? Also, when will the steel over the PATH Terminal be erected? -- Anthony, Commack, N.Y.

A. As you can see on our Web site, the south reflecting pool is already beginning to take shape and will be completed with active waterfalls by September 11, 2011. The steel over the PATH terminal will begin in the 2nd quarter of 2010.

Q. I see that the North Pool is very visible. When will the South Pool be as far along as the North Pool? –- Montana, N.Y., N.Y.

A. As I mentioned above, the south pool is already taking shape. The reason why it is being completed second to the north pool goes to the complexity of the entire project. The steel to complete the south pool is being built on top of the south mezzanine of the PATH Station, which was installed as part of the Hub project. This had to built first – all while maintaining service on an active railroad under the work area – before the street-level steel can be installed for the south pool. The Memorial steel will be installed during off-peak hours so PATH service is not disrupted.

Q. Will the long building that houses the PATH train tracks, just east of the North Pool, need to be dismantled or will you just add a level on top of it to finish the plaza level and Museum Pavilion? -- Joe, Cambridge, MA

A. The building that currently houses the PATH train tracks will be dismantled and a new station below the Memorial will replace it.

Q. I would like to know when the PATH Station, which is just beside the World Trade Center Memorial, will be covered by the new plaza? Also, I would like to know when the southwest corner of the Memorial will be built, and when Greenwich Street will be built along with Fulton Street? -- Boris, Ridgefield, CT

A. Your question clearly shows how integral seemingly unrelated projects are to the Memorial. We will complete steel installation in the southwest corner of the Memorial footprint by the 1st quarter of 2010. The current temporary PATH Station will be completely covered by the new Memorial Plaza by the 1st quarter of 2012. Portions of Greenwich Street – which will serve as the front door to the Memorial – will be accessible with interim walking surfaces by the 3rd quarter of 2011. And portions of Fulton Street adjacent to the Memorial Plaza will be accessible with interim surfaces by the 4th quarter of 2012.

Q. When is the remaining steel going to be put in place over the PATH rails? Secondly, when is the roof for the South Mezzanine going to start and why is it taking so long to put a roof on? –- Ryan, Roseville, MN

A. The majority of steel will be installed over the PATH rails by the summer of 2010. The roof for the South Mezzanine will start early next year. As I mentioned above, this section requires close coordination between the Hub and Memorial project and work cannot begin until the steel for the Hub’s south mezzanine is installed first.

Q. How are you incorporating building around the operating PATH Station? –- Jason, Hoboken, N.J.

A. The PATH Station is in operation seven-days-a-week, 24-hours-a-day. To keep PATH running and get the Memorial and the other projects built at the same time, we can only work on and around the tracks during scheduled outages on the weekends and overnight by closing one of the two PATH tunnels that provide access in and out of the site. This allows the Memorial work to proceed without shutting down the entire system. This kind of logistics coordination is essential when building so much in such a confined area with literally two active subway systems running 24-hours-a-day.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2009, 08:46 PM   #11175
meh_cd

Likes (Received): 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiddle View Post
I noticed that too. The truck-mounted crane is extended and moving around as beams are being installed close to where the "drain" will be in the south pool. Visible progress in that area has appeared to be very slow to me over the last few months. Guess it will speed up once the tracks are completely covered.

Does anyone know why the structure on the east side of the south pool is made of steel that is colored gray? (Most of the steel for the memorial and 1WTC is rust-colored, brown, or red.) The structure also appears to be much more substantial, with its horizontal beams spaced closer together. Is it going to be a parking garage?
They're putting another large crawler crane where the smaller crane is right now. There's a bridge for the crawler on top of that gray steel similar to the bridges near Tower 1 for those crawler cranes.
meh_cd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2009, 08:47 PM   #11176
erPiadda
iamcapohorn...

Likes (Received): 1

soooooo slow..
Old October 25th, 2009, 10:03 PM   #11177
Carlo[NL]

Likes (Received): 515

Seeing all the answered questions and the deadlines/milestones I really looking forward to the WTC progressing.
Especially the Memorial at the south tower's footprint and the Path-station.
Hopefully they can keep the pace up and avoid any setbacks or delays.

Last edited by Carlo[NL]; October 26th, 2009 at 12:21 AM.
Carlo[NL] no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2009, 10:04 PM   #11178
westmc9th
NYC=Amazing

Likes (Received): 6

if you look up freedomtower on flickr people he has uploaded a lot of pics lately check it out
westmc9th no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2009, 11:18 PM   #11179
Hightech Pro

Likes (Received): 21

Cant we just ban all those trolls, i want to read construction updates and not 5 trolling posts on every page.
Hightech Pro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2009, 12:25 AM   #11180
RKOwens44

Likes (Received): 0

Can anyone please answer this? What IS the South Mezzanine? I know where it's located and I hear about it all the time, but I'm still not sure even what it actually is. The word mezzanine implies that it'll be above the PATH tracks, so... does that mean it'll be a location where PATH train passengers can exit there (as opposed to the main PATH mezzanine) and be able to exit up near Liberty and Greenwich? Seems kinda far south if this were the case (I didn't know the trains even stopped in the corner that far south). I'm just really confused about this, can someone explain???
RKOwens44 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center