daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old November 22nd, 2009, 11:50 AM   #11741
webeagle12
Registered User
 
webeagle12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Albany
Posts: 1,736
Likes (Received): 414

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohdan Astro View Post
Amazing process!!!

But I think there is no optimal planning of cranes work. They erected too early two not enough powerful to lifting 70t columns Favelle Favco cranes... Therefore at present we see there Manitowoc crawler cranes with powerful engines which need many litres of fuel per day . These cranes are very useful at industrial construction works. But here they are too slow and bulky.

I suppose that more effective way in construction of such skyscrapers bottom part, which consist of massive construction elements, is to use powerful tower cranes like Liebherr 5000HC http://www.liebherr.com/cc/en/produc...ister=1249_330 or Kroll K-10000 http://www.impact-enterprises.com/photo/0317031h.jpg . I think such cranes could work more fast than crawler ones, and they are less energy consumable . Also I suppose that erection time for such tower cranes is more short...

When bottom heavy part of skyscraper is finished, then Favelle Favco (or more economical and safe IHI JCC cranes) could be erected on the top of building using above powerful tower cranes.
Here in USA crawler cranes are really popular, while in Europe tower cranes ( even mini tower cranes) are more popular that crawler cranes. Crawler cranes have greater capacity and bigger boom than most of tower cranes. I really like crawler cranes like 15000 and up versions.
webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 22nd, 2009, 12:28 PM   #11742
DinoVabec
Worldwide
 
DinoVabec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In the clouds
Posts: 5,900
Likes (Received): 752

November progress...

__________________
There are two rules for success:
1. Never tell everything you know.
-Roger H. Lincoln
DinoVabec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2009, 12:46 PM   #11743
westmc9th
NYC=Amazing
 
westmc9th's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 254
Likes (Received): 6

proud of all the progress that is an awesome video above

Last edited by westmc9th; November 22nd, 2009 at 01:09 PM.
westmc9th no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2009, 12:56 PM   #11744
westmc9th
NYC=Amazing
 
westmc9th's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 254
Likes (Received): 6

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/1310/november21st.jpg
westmc9th no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2009, 01:06 PM   #11745
DinoVabec
Worldwide
 
DinoVabec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In the clouds
Posts: 5,900
Likes (Received): 752

Quote:
Originally Posted by westmc9th View Post
thats kewl did you use freedomtowers pics of flickr they look like otherwise thats awesome oh weather aint looking good for this week and snow for the beggining of december
Yes, I used his pics...
__________________
There are two rules for success:
1. Never tell everything you know.
-Roger H. Lincoln
DinoVabec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2009, 03:00 PM   #11746
Bohdan Astro
per aspera ad astra
 
Bohdan Astro's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Lviv
Posts: 16,517
Likes (Received): 14707

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoVabec View Post
They want american cranes on the site...
But Favelle Favco cranes are not American cranes! These cranes were made in Australia. Actually America has not tower cranes for construction of skyscrapers like WTC...
Bohdan Astro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2009, 03:24 PM   #11747
DinoVabec
Worldwide
 
DinoVabec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In the clouds
Posts: 5,900
Likes (Received): 752

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohdan Astro View Post
But Favelle Favco cranes are not American cranes! These cranes were made in Australia. Actually America has not tower cranes for construction of skyscrapers like WTC...
Don't know about that...I just heard that...
__________________
There are two rules for success:
1. Never tell everything you know.
-Roger H. Lincoln
DinoVabec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2009, 03:45 PM   #11748
Bohdan Astro
per aspera ad astra
 
Bohdan Astro's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Lviv
Posts: 16,517
Likes (Received): 14707

Quote:
Originally Posted by webeagle12 View Post
Here in USA crawler cranes are really popular, while in Europe tower cranes ( even mini tower cranes) are more popular that crawler cranes. Crawler cranes have greater capacity and bigger boom than most of tower cranes. I really like crawler cranes like 15000 and up versions.
I was just talking about optimisation of construction process for skyscrapers like WTC... But it is impossible to construct enough high skyscraper's part by crawler cranes...

At skyscrapers construction is not very important maximal capacity that usually can be realised at very small radius. More important is load momentum (dependence capacity on radius). Liebherr 5000HC, for an example has capacity 70t to 65m, Manitowoc 18000 with luffing jib of 70m and main boom of 54.9m has capacity only of 44.3 tonne at 60m radius. So, which of cranes is more powerful?

I think that using of crawler cranes at skyscraper construction is justified only in case when there is task impossible to solve by tower cranes. But at present I can't find such task...
Bohdan Astro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2009, 03:46 PM   #11749
aceflamingo23
BANNED
 
aceflamingo23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Nashville, Tennessee
Posts: 107
Likes (Received): 7

Who really cares where the cranes came from? Australia is an ally, so shouldnt that be ok?
aceflamingo23 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2009, 04:00 PM   #11750
SebaFun
Sebastian
 
SebaFun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Fray Bentos - Las Toscas
Posts: 72,497
Likes (Received): 16341

OMG
Amazing progress.I love this tower
__________________

I Love USA
SebaFun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2009, 04:15 PM   #11751
Bohdan Astro
per aspera ad astra
 
Bohdan Astro's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Lviv
Posts: 16,517
Likes (Received): 14707

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflamingo23 View Post
Who really cares where the cranes came from? Australia is an ally, so shouldnt that be ok?
Yes, I also think it is not important where cranes came from... Important is capacity and safety of cranes!

About ally, you know, sometimes nature is very cruel, like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jngUJLZEILs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WbvBinVxbQ

So, I think it is more important to select safe cranes, like Japanese JCC ones.
Bohdan Astro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2009, 05:21 PM   #11752
DinoVabec
Worldwide
 
DinoVabec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In the clouds
Posts: 5,900
Likes (Received): 752

If they use them, I guess they are good and safe enough...
__________________
There are two rules for success:
1. Never tell everything you know.
-Roger H. Lincoln
DinoVabec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2009, 05:48 PM   #11753
the sock
Registered User
 
the sock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,725
Likes (Received): 80

great close ups and comparisons with the old towers .some close ups of the new tower shows that alot of the beams dont have all the bolts put in but they have still built above ,is this safe ?
the sock no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2009, 07:05 PM   #11754
Zensteeldude
Registered User
 
Zensteeldude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Northern New Jersey
Posts: 602
Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohdan Astro View Post
Amazing process!!!

But I think there is no optimal planning of cranes work. They erected too early two not enough powerful to lifting 70t columns Favelle Favco cranes... Therefore at present we see there Manitowoc crawler cranes with powerful engines which need many litres of fuel per day . These cranes are very useful at industrial construction works. But here they are too slow and bulky.

I suppose that more effective way in construction of such skyscrapers bottom part, which consist of massive construction elements, is to use powerful tower cranes like Liebherr 5000HC http://www.liebherr.com/cc/en/produc...ister=1249_330 or Kroll K-10000 http://www.impact-enterprises.com/photo/0317031h.jpg . I think such cranes could work more fast than crawler ones, and they are less energy consumable . Also I suppose that erection time for such tower cranes is more short...

When bottom heavy part of skyscraper is finished, then Favelle Favco (or more economical and safe IHI JCC cranes) could be erected on the top of building using above powerful tower cranes.
You sound like a salesman.

Both the T cranes you mention are over kill and suffer from the major drawback all T cranes have, two cranes can't work together to lift heavy stuff.
image hosted on flickr

Photo by Joe Woolhead.
Zensteeldude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2009, 07:12 PM   #11755
Zensteeldude
Registered User
 
Zensteeldude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Northern New Jersey
Posts: 602
Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by the sock View Post
great close ups and comparisons with the old towers .some close ups of the new tower shows that alot of the beams dont have all the bolts put in but they have still built above ,is this safe ?
When erecting they put a few bolts in to hold the steel in place. After everything is plumbed and level they put all the bolts in and tighten them (called bolting up).
Zensteeldude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2009, 07:14 PM   #11756
friendsofthecity
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,929
Likes (Received): 690

I think construction speeding up is a sign of the foundation nearing completion.
friendsofthecity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2009, 07:17 PM   #11757
Zensteeldude
Registered User
 
Zensteeldude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Northern New Jersey
Posts: 602
Likes (Received): 11

In the crane debate both sides are missing one factor that over rides all others. DCM and the Davis Group pick what cranes are used. The jacking system designed by Federated (part of the Davis Group) is meant to work with Favco cranes ( or any brand that can be fitted to the tower sections).

PS: Favco cranes built the Twins.

Something else I just thought of, a T crane would be useless at Tower One, the boom and maybe even the counter boom would hit the Verzon building.

Last edited by Zensteeldude; November 22nd, 2009 at 07:50 PM.
Zensteeldude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2009, 07:36 PM   #11758
Bohdan Astro
per aspera ad astra
 
Bohdan Astro's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Lviv
Posts: 16,517
Likes (Received): 14707

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zensteeldude View Post
You sound like a salesman.

Both the T cranes you mention are over kill and suffer from the major drawback all T cranes have, two cranes can't work together to lift heavy stuff.
image hosted on flickr

Photo by Joe Woolhead.
O, yeah, very effective cranes work
Two cranes operators, two diesel engines-two fuel tanks, but only one steel column Very "effective"
Bohdan Astro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2009, 07:55 PM   #11759
Zensteeldude
Registered User
 
Zensteeldude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Northern New Jersey
Posts: 602
Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohdan Astro View Post
But Favelle Favco cranes are not American cranes! These cranes were made in Australia. Actually America has not tower cranes for construction of skyscrapers like WTC...
The crane is made by an Austrailin company, the boom and tower it sits on were made in the USA.

And America DOES or rather did have a company making tower cranes, Kodiak.

It is rather un-fortunate that if one Googles Kodiak crane one well quickly learn that the second crane that fell in New York in 2008 was a Kodiak (the first was a Favco).

Last edited by Zensteeldude; November 22nd, 2009 at 08:11 PM.
Zensteeldude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2009, 07:57 PM   #11760
Bohdan Astro
per aspera ad astra
 
Bohdan Astro's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Lviv
Posts: 16,517
Likes (Received): 14707

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zensteeldude View Post
PS: Favco cranes built the Twins.
Oh , yes - very strong argument

But I remember Taipei 101 and Favco cranes falling from this tower...

I think most safe are Japanese JCC tower cranes http://rogiken.org/heavy/ccs/index.html.
Bohdan Astro no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu