daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 20th, 2006, 10:19 AM   #101
ozscorpio7
all american!

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by EtherealMist View Post

Doesnt look like the name 'Freedom Tower' is going away anytime soon, does it?
Yeah i agree , itīs rising from ashes what part of putting the name of Phoenix tower to it is bad ? .

i donīt care about the state of phoenix , ho the hell is going to confuse both ! tell me .

Ohhh where is phoenix tower? in new york of course you idiot .

nice is finally rising , wish i was there to see it is historic . This tower is already an icon.

Highcliff liked this post
ozscorpio7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 20th, 2006, 10:28 AM   #102
Mikey
Aerial Erector

Likes (Received): 9

excellent news I cant wait to see this rising

Mikey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2006, 09:14 PM   #103
jeremy stephens
rogerick1970

Likes (Received): 2

I usually never post, I always chech the board daily to keep track of this tower though, and I am so exited. It has been such a long time coming, almost five years sense the original renderings of the freedom tower was released. We were all getting so discouraged cause we thought the tower would never be built, BUT IT FINALLY ISSS!!!!!!! I sreriously think americans could care less if the building is the tallest in the world, cause it means so much more than that. It is trully a icon, and a great sign of resilience. Who cares if the chicago spire or Burj Dubai is taller, this tower has a hell of alot more meaning When are the really tall columns going to be erected that will be 15 or 20 feet above street level, and when will we see the first basement floor poured?

jeremy stephens no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2006, 11:06 PM   #104
Spooky873
BANNED

Likes (Received): 64

the next couple months expect it to reach street level i believe.

Spooky873 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2006, 11:25 PM   #105
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

i'm very happy that the new WTC is on the way now

ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2006, 11:58 PM   #106
chjbolton
chjbolton

Likes (Received): 75

@Jeremy-Stephen
quote "I sreriously think americans could care less if the building is the tallest in the world, cause it means so much more than that. It is trully a icon, and a great sign of resilience. Who cares if the chicago spire or Burj Dubai is taller, this tower has a hell of alot more meaning When are the really tall columns going to be erected that will be 15 or 20 feet above street level, and when will we see the first basement floor poured?"

I agree with the message BUT, and I don't wanna start a riot here, you have to admit that the WTC replacement main tower is, indeed stong looking and nice and all... but pretty plain anyway! It is a nice tower... but it's a tower at the end of the day! I believe the site (and the victims maybe???) deserved better then offices.
I'm French and truly, t-r-u-l-y love the US in all its greatness and 'over the topness' (I've lived there a bit and seen about 20 states including middle ones) believe it or not. But I strongly think it's an almost wasted opportunity.
Thom Mayne should have put his Morphosis creation there after tripling the size of it. Or something!! Not JUST a nice tower.

Final thing.
Who... Who is ever going to have the guts to top the new WTC? The entire world (US included of course) will see gigantic architectural designs rising from the ground but will NY have to be stuck with 1776 feet?

It's a shame not to make more of a stand in such an important area of the American land.

But hey! At least it's not a mosque ;-)

It's a joke people. Just calm down...

chjbolton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2006, 12:15 AM   #107
misterdz

Likes (Received): 169

go go new york !!!

misterdz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2006, 02:40 AM   #108
TroyBoy

Likes (Received): 15

I agree with the message BUT, and I don't wanna start a riot here, you have to admit that the WTC replacement main tower is, indeed stong looking and nice and all... but pretty plain anyway! It is a nice tower... but it's a tower at the end of the day! I believe the site (and the victims maybe???) deserved better then offices.
I'm French and truly, t-r-u-l-y love the US in all its greatness and 'over the topness' (I've lived there a bit and seen about 20 states including middle ones) believe it or not. But I strongly think it's an almost wasted opportunity.
Thom Mayne should have put his Morphosis creation there after tripling the size of it. Or something!! Not JUST a nice tower.

Final thing.
Who... Who is ever going to have the guts to top the new WTC? The entire world (US included of course) will see gigantic architectural designs rising from the ground but will NY have to be stuck with 1776 feet?

It's a shame not to make more of a stand in such an important area of the American land.

But hey! At least it's not a mosque ;-)

It's a joke people. Just calm down...[/QUOTE]

Nice post, and good point about no one wanting to build higher than ft, dc has the washington monument, a lot of other citys also have something nothing else can be taller than.

TroyBoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2006, 03:08 AM   #109
Hollie Maea

Likes (Received): 25

I would say it is likely that WTC1 will be an unofficial--or even an official--height limit for NYC. I wonder though if anyone will end up building that is not taller than the spire but that has floors going higher? It would be easy to build an officially shorter building that looks much taller on the skyline. It will be interesting to see I guess.

Hollie Maea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2006, 04:50 AM   #110
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

Disregarding some of the attacks aimed at me and even the scapegoating, I did see both the outgoing Governor George E Pataki and the infamous architect Daniel Libeskind give an interview at noon on Sunday.
Old December 21st, 2006, 06:14 AM   #111
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17790

First steel for signature WTC skyscraper rises at ground zero
By AMY WESTFELDT
20 December 2006

NEW YORK (AP) - The Freedom Tower -- the 1,776-foot emblem of ground zero's renaissance -- has been so beset by setbacks that it has even had multiple groundbreakings.

But in a visible mark of progress, 25-ton steel columns are at last rising at the site of the soaring skyscraper that will replace the World Trade Center's twin towers.

"Today the steel rises, the Freedom Tower rises from the ashes of Sept. 11, and the people of New York and the people of America can be proud," Gov. George Pataki said on Tuesday, when a massive crane lifted the first column. Painted with an American flag and the words "Freedom Tower," the 31-foot-high column was set over steel bars on the southern edge of the tower's base.

The second column, also raised on Tuesday, bears the signatures of steelworkers and politicians from Virginia, where it spent time at a steel company before being shipped to New York. A third column -- covered with signatures of New Yorkers and Sept. 11 victims' relatives, as well as pictures of some firefighters killed in the 2001 attack -- will be installed in the coming days.

By next spring, 27 of the jumbo steel columns will anchor the skyscraper and rise to street level, about 70 feet from the bottom of ground zero.

The tower is expected to be one of the nation's tallest buildings when it opens in 2011. It has long been planned as the tallest and most symbolic of the five skyscrapers planned to replace the trade center.

"Rising from the heart of the World Trade Center site, the Freedom Tower will symbolize the spirit of our city and our nation: inspiring, soaring and undefeated," Mayor Michael Bloomberg said.

But lengthy negotiations over who would build the tower and security concerns have delayed the project.

Politicians lay a granite cornerstone in July 2004 to begin construction, but the building was later moved after city police said it would be vulnerable to terrorism because it was too close to traffic.

Construction began again this spring, after the site's owner renegotiated its lease with a private developer and took over its construction.

Gov.-elect Eliot Spitzer, who takes office next month, recently said he planned to look again at designs for the tower. Federal and state agencies, including the governor's office, already have agreed to occupy half of the building's office space.

The columns installed Tuesday are among the largest made in the world. They were forged in Luxembourg, then shipped to Lynchburg, Va., where workers welded steel plates onto them so they could be properly set in place.

The entire tower will eventually be built with 45,000 tons of steel, builders say.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!

hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2006, 11:30 AM   #112
SaRaJeVo-City
BANNED

Likes (Received): 17

finally !!!

SaRaJeVo-City no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2006, 12:00 PM   #113
Eyal

Likes (Received): 1

It's good to see the tower finally starting!

Eyal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2006, 07:59 PM   #114
jef

Likes (Received): 5

Great. When is it due to be delivered?

jef no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2006, 09:23 PM   #115
jeremy stephens
rogerick1970

Likes (Received): 2

When will we see the first basement floor poured?

jeremy stephens no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2006, 05:23 AM   #116
TalB
Refugee

This could cause another delay.
http://www.nypost.com/seven/12212006...ionalnews_.htm
MORE BONES FOUND AT WTC

December 21, 2006 -- Two bones were recovered this week from debris in a manhole at Ground Zero, the first discoveries in more than a month.

They were found in a fourth manhole underneath a service road on the western edge of the trade center site, said Ellen Borakove, spokeswoman for the medical examiner.

More than 210 body parts have been found in manholes on the service road since Oct. 19. Most were in the first one, which utility workers had been digging up.

One bone was recovered Wednesday, the other yesterday, she said.

TalB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2006, 02:06 AM   #117
FK

Likes (Received): 1284

FK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2006, 02:19 AM   #118
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Quote:
Originally Posted by EtherealMist View Post
we have no way of knowing where that beam is going but its obviously going to be part of the foundation and not one of the regular floor beams they will be using.
You are correct. A friend of mine works for ARCELOR, the French-Luxemburg steel company (now called Mittal-Arcelor after being bought) and since a couple of months he had told me that Arcelor will supply special, very high strength steel columns for the Freedom Tower's foundations.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2006, 03:34 AM   #119
TalB
Refugee

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/12/21/wro....ap/index.html
Freedom Tower's wrong-way flag removed

POSTED: 9:20 a.m. EST, December 21, 2006

NEW YORK (AP) -- An American flag plastered on the first steel column for the Freedom Tower at ground zero was removed Wednesday after the builders realized the stars and stripes were on the wrong side.

The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey removed the decal on the 31-foot column after the media questioned the display, with the 50 stars on the right side instead of the left.

"When it's laying down, it's correct," said Bill Dolphin, 73, of Ocala, Florida. "When it gets lifted up into the air, the blue field should be on the other side." (Watch for the wrong-way flag Video)

Federal flag code requires that, whether displayed horizontally or vertically, the blue field displaying 50 stars is always on the left side to the viewer.

When construction workers put the decal onto the column as it lay on the ground, the flag was horizontal and the stars were on the left, Port Authority spokesman Steve Coleman said.

Once a giant crane raised the column, the flag was also vertical, with the stars on the right, Coleman said.

A decal that puts the stars and stripes in the correct place will be put on the column Thursday or Friday, Coleman said.

The column was one of two raised in a ceremony Tuesday. A third column -- covered with signatures of New Yorkers and September 11 victims' relatives, as well as pictures of some firefighters killed in the 2001 attack -- will be installed in the coming days.

In about 18 months, concrete will cover the flag and the columns as construction of the 1,776-foot building to replace the twin towers continues.

But the stars and stripes should be in the right place until then, said Joan Bury, 71, of Aberdeen, New Jersey, who said she found the wrong-way flag "disgraceful" when she saw it in her morning newspaper.

After learning that the flag would be set right, she said: "I'm so happy they're going to take care of that."

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

TalB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2006, 01:27 PM   #120
ch1le
always on

Likes (Received): 202

/\ superbly silly.

ch1le no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center