daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 3rd, 2009, 11:37 PM   #11981
Zensteeldude

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperfreak2 View Post
First let me say I know little about skyscraper strength, but looking at these old pictures of the original to the WTC1 structure we see today, which one looks stronger?

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...419362&page=36
It's what you can't see that makes Tower One so much stronger than the Twins.
For example, the grade of steel used in the Twins was ASTM A36 mild steel. Widely used at the time for buildings.
Tower One uses ASTM A572, A992 and A993, all are at least twice as strong as A36.
The Twins used little re-enforced concrete ( in the floor slabs mostly) where as Tower One is nothing but re-enforced concrete below grade (except the perimeter columns)

And last but most important, the Twins had steel cores with drywall fireproofing where Tower One has a 3 foot thick steel re-enforced concrete core.
Zensteeldude no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 4th, 2009, 12:04 AM   #11982
steve1young

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindgoessnap View Post
What are those folded wooden-looking things surrounding the base of the 4 frontmost supercolumns? They look like some kind of strange umbrella or something.
Dude. It's to protect the steel from all the pickles falling from the Subway trailer! C'mon.

steve1young no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2009, 12:06 AM   #11983
Zensteeldude

Likes (Received): 11

LMAO, good one !
Zensteeldude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2009, 01:25 AM   #11984
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1028

When is the subway trailer supposed to go in, anyway?
Old December 4th, 2009, 01:58 AM   #11985
NYCD

Likes (Received): 1203

NYCD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2009, 02:09 AM   #11986
Onn
BANNED

Likes (Received): 173

Wow! Steel above ground in TWO places! I don't think it gets any sweeter than that.
Onn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2009, 03:15 AM   #11987
Onn
BANNED

Yeah, it's posted on the last 1-2 pages. Hopefully this is finally the news we've been waiting for!
Old December 4th, 2009, 03:25 AM   #11988
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

It's interesting that they mention funding all three of Silverstein's towers. I wonder if they'd spread out the bond money for all three and get private financing to pay for the rest. All three together must cost $6-7 billion total.
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2009, 03:59 AM   #11989
meh_cd

Likes (Received): 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guaporense View Post
That is the normal phase of the economic cycle. Don't worry, by 2020 they will have about 40 buildings taller than this one.
Of course they will.
meh_cd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2009, 05:06 AM   #11990
Desparye

Likes (Received): 4

I'm like ecstatic about 2WTC and 3WTC. And it's awesome that 4WTC has core steel going up. And lastly, 1WTC is growing pretty fast.
Desparye no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2009, 05:13 AM   #11991
Onn
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guaporense View Post
That is the normal phase of the economic cycle. Don't worry, by 2020 they will have about 40 buildings taller than this one.
It's a normal phase for the US economy, not the rest of the world. We've been here before, almost everyone else hasn't. We've only been here before because North America has been a stable continent for the last 100 years. That certainly does mean the rest of the world will stay that way just because the US will. Dubai itself is inevitably on decline already, because I think most people see how stupid their whole plan is now. There is not nearly enough in that region to hold a city like Dubai together. I don’t expect nearly as many supertall skyscrapers from them in the future, I don’t expect nearly as many to be announced in the next decade, especially with their credit market going down the tubes. They’re getting more and more expensive and risky to build.

Last edited by Onn; December 4th, 2009 at 05:18 AM.
Old December 4th, 2009, 05:29 AM   #11992
ElCrioyo
Ed.v.cas.baeZ

Likes (Received): 1668

Popularity surge in this thread now. Just as i expected. Soon to become the most popular thread in SSC, the Burj Dubai is loosing ground.

I walked around the Whole lower Manhattan area a couple of weeks ago(Canyon of Heroes, WTC, WFC, and battery Park) and i was suprised to see that things are really starting to pick up in the WTC project. The whole Lower Manhattan area is like being remodeled, its nice to see redevelopment. New York is definitely the best!
ElCrioyo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2009, 05:36 AM   #11993
Onn
BANNED

Derek 2K3, Wired New York, December 3rd
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old December 4th, 2009, 05:55 AM   #11994
micrip

Likes (Received): 1049

Imn the pic below, I noticed that the center vertical beam in the tridents are not "plumb". Seems strange. I guess there is an engineering reason for it.
Old December 4th, 2009, 07:18 AM   #11995
meh_cd

Likes (Received): 123

It's because the south entrance is so large.
meh_cd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2009, 08:53 AM   #11996
johnvill

Likes (Received): 0

freedom tower should be up... its a landmark that will last forever ..
johnvill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2009, 10:12 AM   #11997
boss-ton

Likes (Received): 182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zensteeldude View Post
It's what you can't see that makes Tower One so much stronger than the Twins.
For example, the grade of steel used in the Twins was ASTM A36 mild steel. Widely used at the time for buildings.
Tower One uses ASTM A572, A992 and A993, all are at least twice as strong as A36.
The Twins used little re-enforced concrete ( in the floor slabs mostly) where as Tower One is nothing but re-enforced concrete below grade (except the perimeter columns)

And last but most important, the Twins had steel cores with drywall fireproofing where Tower One has a 3 foot thick steel re-enforced concrete core.
dont forget that the twins used lightweight trusses for their floors and the freedom tower will use steel beams, also the floors are welded and bolted instead of just bolted.
boss-ton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2009, 02:54 PM   #11998
Nomadd22

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by micrip View Post
Imn the pic below, I noticed that the center vertical beam in the tridents are not "plumb". Seems strange. I guess there is an engineering reason for it.
When you look at the load distribution because of the entrances the tridents take a lot more weight toward the inside. That would also explain the apprently lighter outer trident member.
I guess with those ludicrously heavy lower columns they don't have to worry about cross bracing on the lower level.
Nomadd22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2009, 03:10 PM   #11999
Viperfreak2
BANNED

Likes (Received): 48

Thanks for the info about the structure. I guess with the massive lower structure of the twins, if they had a concrete core all the way up, and floor beams instead of trusses, and welded joints, they would have stood forever.

My view of this lower design of 1WTC is that a blast would blow out all the glass in those huge open areas, allowing the force someplace to go instead of the beams. Makes sense.

Request: more daily pictures please! The HD Earthcam is frozen yet again. I think the past month was a record for its reliabililty. I enjoyed watching it each day.
Viperfreak2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2009, 05:04 PM   #12000
uakoops
Sidewalk Superintendent

Likes (Received): 396

[QUOTE=Viperfreak2;47267901]
My view of this lower design of 1WTC is that a blast would blow out all the glass in those huge open areas, allowing the force someplace to go instead of the beams. Makes sense.

.....QUOTE]

They are actually going to build extremely thick (10 ft?) concrete "blast walls" enclosing the base of the building to protect it from truck bombs etc.
The only glass will be at the entrances, and there will be secondary blast wall behind those.
uakoops no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center