daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 6th, 2009, 05:48 PM   #12041
westmc9th
NYC=Amazing

Likes (Received): 6

More than likely nothing going to happen today at freedom just 1 column left on the east side! But tons of steel is going in today on the south pool!
westmc9th no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 6th, 2009, 05:50 PM   #12042
westmc9th
NYC=Amazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalt View Post
Looks like they made a lot of progress today..I took this photo from my hovercraft.

lol i wonder when this will be up this high, im sure it wont look like this though!
Old December 6th, 2009, 05:55 PM   #12043
Swiddle

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
Pictures from inside the beast.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

In the top photo, are those cinder blocks on the floor of the pool? If so, where are they being placed? I thought the pool walls were made of formed reinforced concrete, like the core walls of 1WTC. (But I think I haven't seen any close-up shots of the walls being built.)

Also, why hasn't the floor been finished where the two men are standing? I'm guessing that there is a wall beneath the floor and they will pour concrete in the gap where the vertical rebar (has the orange caps on it) is, and maybe finish pouring the floor at the same time. Seems like they would have done this long ago.

In the bottom photo we see two office trailers. Perhaps the Subway will be such a trailer? Obviously the trailers have to be jumped periodically, like the tower cranes. It looks like the orange steel at the left end of the trailers is part of the jumping mechanism for the trailers.
Swiddle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2009, 08:21 PM   #12044
helghast

Likes (Received): 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zensteeldude View Post
The next big thing for Tower One is the 20th floor corner nodes.

image hosted on flickr

They transition from the 2 slanted corner columns down to one column out to 3 columns. They are made of solid steel and have a total hight of 90 feet and weigh about 53 tons. There well be one at each corner of course and I expect to see them in the first quarter of 2010.

As for the Memorial, the chiller plant contract has been awarded and we should see it start to go in early next year. That big opening west of the South pool is where they are going to lower all the machinery (heat exchangers, pumps, etc.)
i no i shouldn't ask ........ but how did you get a hold of these incredible prints ? and do you have more that you can share with us ?
Old December 6th, 2009, 09:29 PM   #12045
RKOwens44

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiddle View Post
In the top photo, are those cinder blocks on the floor of the pool? If so, where are they being placed? I thought the pool walls were made of formed reinforced concrete, like the core walls of 1WTC. (But I think I haven't seen any close-up shots of the walls being built.)
Most likely, those are for some area within the museum and they are just being stored there for the time being. I remember the Q3 report said that the installation of the masonry walls for the museum were supposed to start either this quarter or sometime soon.

Quote:
Also, why hasn't the floor been finished where the two men are standing? I'm guessing that there is a wall beneath the floor and they will pour concrete in the gap where the vertical rebar (has the orange caps on it) is, and maybe finish pouring the floor at the same time. Seems like they would have done this long ago.
Okay, I just went and watched a video I shot from inside the museum on the level immediately below where that gap is and think I have the answer for both of your questions. First, on the level below, there was a line of pieces of rebar sticking up from the floor, exactly beneath those that appear to be "hung down" through the hole in the pool above. So yes, it appears to be for a wall that will go there. Also, I didn't think anything of it at the time but all throughout the level below the pool, I see huge bundles of those pieces of "cinder blocks". So I believe they must be for the museum, somehow. I'll try to upload the video and post a link shortly, but I won't be able to keep it up for long... video from inside the museum is strictly prohibitted!!!!
Old December 6th, 2009, 10:03 PM   #12046
RKOwens44

Wow, I just noticed something else interesting. Around the smaller square pool inside the main pool, you see 5 boxes on each side (20 total) with orange X's over them, indicating there is an opening beneath and the wood is temporary to prevent you from falling in (there are also four in the center of the pool). This can either be for one of two things: drains for the water, or openings to allow for lights around the smaller pool. I'm hoping it's for lights, which will really be beautiful at night. But, who knows.
Old December 6th, 2009, 10:36 PM   #12047
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53453

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKOwens44 View Post
Wow, I just noticed something else interesting. Around the smaller square pool inside the main pool, you see 5 boxes on each side (20 total) with orange X's over them, indicating there is an opening beneath and the wood is temporary to prevent you from falling in (there are also four in the center of the pool). This can either be for one of two things: drains for the water, or openings to allow for lights around the smaller pool. I'm hoping it's for lights, which will really be beautiful at night. But, who knows.
I just hope the lights aren't tacky like Niagara Falls.

Zaz965 liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2009, 12:24 AM   #12048
mand113
BANNED

eess muy importante q la refuerzen a la torre para evitar el colapson en un eventual atentado
mand113 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2009, 12:51 AM   #12049
RKOwens44

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
I just hope the lights aren't tacky like Niagara Falls.
The reason the Niagara Falls lights look tacky is because the reason the Niagara Falls are so beautiful is because they are a part of nature and the earth and all that. The lights are something manmade that was introduced to try to beautify nature. The lights are also all kinds of different colors. No one is going to look at the waterfalls in the middle of downtown Manhattan as being a part of nature, so having lights there (which are just pure white, not multi-colored) isn't going to make anything look tacky.
Old December 7th, 2009, 02:28 AM   #12050
travelbug

Likes (Received): 9

I love this rendering, I do not know if it has been posted before but it gives such a great view of downtown Manhattan in hopefully 8 years time.

travelbug no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2009, 02:30 AM   #12051
travelbug

Better than it looked last year!

Last edited by travelbug; December 7th, 2009 at 02:30 AM. Reason: Wrong pic posted
Old December 7th, 2009, 05:52 AM   #12052
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelbug View Post
I love this rendering, I do not know if it has been posted before but it gives such a great view of downtown Manhattan in hopefully 8 years time.

8 years is a bit muc, with luck we'll be able to see that view by the middle of this coming decade, 5 or 6 years
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2009, 08:37 AM   #12053
VRS

Likes (Received): 11521

nice compare picture...
VRS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2009, 11:39 AM   #12054
CultureOfCongestion

Likes (Received): 1

Yeah very nice comparative views!!
Just a question, WTC4 will be hidden behind WTC2 or 3 from this angle?
CultureOfCongestion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2009, 12:17 PM   #12055
travelbug

It is at the very back of the site from where we are looking so it will be behind both of them. It is not on this rendering as far as I can tell but you would only be able to see tiny bits of it from this angle anyway, probably in between 2 and 3.
Old December 7th, 2009, 12:33 PM   #12056
travelbug

This is the masterplan from Architecture today. I do not know if it is current.
Old December 7th, 2009, 12:41 PM   #12057
westmc9th
NYC=Amazing

Here is our steel coming in right now! It looks more like core steel it may be because its dark though so. Its supposed to be nice today so lots of work can be done
Old December 7th, 2009, 02:52 PM   #12058
Spartan_X

Likes (Received): 1366

Will the "tribute in light" continue after the completion of the memorial? I certainly hope so, i believe it is very beautiful.

Spartan proverb
Spartan_X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2009, 05:27 PM   #12059
ěnland
BANNED

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
8 years is a bit muc, with luck we'll be able to see that view by the middle of this coming decade, 5 or 6 years
[/QUOTE]

what is the name of that old style building which is not yet build in left side.
ěnland no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2009, 05:51 PM   #12060
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5171

30 Park Place, on hold right now. Silverstein has said he hopes to resume construction in 2011 or 2012.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=576845
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
construction updates, development, ground zero, manhattan, new york city, nyc, port authority, supertall, world trade center